Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

13,413 posts in this topic

Thought I would stir the pot a bit with this thread. Actual hockey hasn't been fun to watch so maybe being Armchair GMs could fill the void.

First up:

Kris Russell

To CBJ for

Cam Atkinson

Boone Jenner

That would make Calgary's forward picture a lot muddier but it would help shore up the depth a bit. Russell is gone next year anyway this could be a good return for him. Atkinson is basically Byron with scoring abilities and Jenner could be a 30 goal guy.

Jh - mony - huds

Frolik - backlund - atkinson

Jenner - Bennett - Jones

Ferland - Stajan - Jooris

Gio - wides

Brodie - hamilton

Nakludal - england

Ex. Raymond, bollig.

Thought I would stir the pot a bit with this thread. Actual hockey hasn't been fun to watch so maybe being Armchair GMs could fill the void.

First up:

Kris Russell

To CBJ for

Cam Atkinson

Boone Jenner

That would make Calgary's forward picture a lot muddier but it would help shore up the depth a bit. Russell is gone next year anyway this could be a good return for him. Atkinson is basically Byron with scoring abilities and Jenner could be a 30 goal guy.

Jh - mony - huds

Jenner - Bennett - Jones

Gio - wides

Brodie - hamilton

Nakludal - england

Ex. Raymond, bollig.

Don't really know either of those guys so hard to intelligently comment.  I do like your trade partner though.  With Columbus' terrible start I'm guessing they will be in the same mood as we are, i.e. looking at some changes to motivate the team and get a bit different mix of players.

Other possible trade targets are Nichuskin from Dallas, who is really struggling but I always thought had good potential, and Drouin from TBL who has started hot but up to this season has been very underwhelming.  Perhaps something like Hudler for Nichuskin, or something like Granlund & Bouma/Hathaway for Drouin?

I doubt Huds will go any where he is a great player and mentor he will now help Bennett Im sure you can't lose players like that 

I doubt Huds will go any where he is a great player and mentor he will now help Bennett Im sure you can't lose players like that 

I'm not so sure about this anymore. If Hudler wants anymore than 5M on an extended term I think BT moves him.

2 people like this

First up:

Kris Russell

To CBJ for

Cam Atkinson

Boone Jenner

Jh - mony - huds

Jenner - Bennett - Jones

Gio - wides

Brodie - hamilton

Nakludal - england

Ex. Raymond, bollig.

If we are going to trade assets in order to improve both now and future I think you concentrate on the first two forward lines. We have all kinds of good talented forwards to fill out the 3 and 4th lines. Hudler is a FA at the end of this year and if he is asking north of 5M I think BT trades him to get a forward younger with more potential he doesn't mind paying a higher salary to eventually.

Let's say that Hudler does into any deal for us to attempt to get a younger player with top 6 potential going forward, this opens up a review IMO. Should Gaudreau stay with Monahan or should he play with Bennett ? Should they drop Frolik down to play with Gaudreau and Bennett  then build another line C by Monahan ? Where does Poirier fit in all of this ?

OR does BT stand pat and utilize what we have available continuing the rebuild for this year.

1 person likes this

I'm not so sure about this anymore. If Hudler wants anymore than 5M on an extended term I think BT moves him.

Unless BT is desperate to improve, Hudler's worth will be measured later in the season.  Nobody knows for sure if Hulder's season was an outlier or progression playing with Johnny and Mony on the 1st line.

Russell is a player that is easy to move (budget contract/shot blocker).  

Wideman is better to trade next year or at least next summer.  Two years left on his contract.

Kulak has some value to a team like Toronto.

Backlund had some value, but may have lost it this year.

Unless BT is desperate to improve, Hudler's worth will be measured later in the season.  Nobody knows for sure if Hulder's season was an outlier or progression playing with Johnny and Mony on the 1st line.

Russell is a player that is easy to move (budget contract/shot blocker).  

Wideman is better to trade next year or at least next summer.  Two years left on his contract.

Kulak has some value to a team like Toronto.

Backlund had some value, but may have lost it this year.

I disagree about Hudler, everyone in the league knows he is a very dependable player. I think everyone will agree he benefitted from being on that line but it also shows what he can do when playing with quality players.

Russell for me is n the same boat as Hudler, I wouldn't want to pay him much more than what he is making now. If he wants to be paid like a 2nd pairing player trade him to a team that needs him in that capacity.

Kulak I would keep, good defense to have when Engelland and Smid are both gone.

Backlund I would have taken the opportunity to trade him before giving him any kind of extention. Stajan is the same kind of player and we already had him extended.

Anyone can be traded if it makes the team better. Chances are you can't improve the team by moving Hudler. Wideman is probably true as well as I don't think you get an equivalent player back due to the contract. Treliving might be able to make us better by moving Russell for a forward though.

I just hope the Flames don't panic and start moving first round picks or our top young guys for a quick fix. Treliving seems smart and patient. But the temptation to save the season has to be there.

Stamkos 

Would have to part with Monny or Sam B to start the conversation and the Flames would have to add - I am ok with doing something like this because the team needs to get shaken up a bit. A player like Stamkos fits the bill and the thought of him and Johnny G would work for me...

It isn't pie in the sky and is rumored at the moment...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-seeking-a-big-trade-to-clean-up-a-big-mess/

Stamkos 

Would have to part with Monny or Sam B to start the conversation and the Flames would have to add - I am ok with doing something like this because the team needs to get shaken up a bit. A player like Stamkos fits the bill and the thought of him and Johnny G would work for me...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-seeking-a-big-trade-to-clean-up-a-big-mess/

This is precisely the trap that Darryl Sutter got caught in. Started trading the farm for older players. Now granted, Stamkos is 25, I don't think he's going to come in here and turn us into a contender. In fact, he could seriously hamstring us because he is a pending UFA. He could flip the finger at us and walk away and then Tampa has Sam Bennett. We already trade Gilmour for Lehman. Stamkos isn't Lehman but the result could be similar. If he signs, for how much? 12 million a year? Why can't we just be patient and allow things to develop?

There seems to be in a mentality as if our window of opportunity is closing and we need to act now to capitalize. Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau are not pushing 30. Let's stop pretending as if they are. If you're window of opportunity is indeed closing, I can see trading picks and prospects for a Stanley Cup push. BTW, rarely does this tactic work. In any event, that's not the case here.

3 people like this

Stamkos 

While I would love to see Stamkos wearing the flaming C, I feel we would have to give up too much to get him. That and it doesn't really make sense to us financially.

The best move is often the one you don't make. 

That said, perhaps a goalie trade with CBJ would make sense for both sides? Bobrovsky hasn't been the same since he won the vezina, and our two supposed starters have been shaky at best this season. 

Perhaps;

To CBJ: Jonas Hiller, Kris Russell, (Maybe a later-round pick)

To CGY: Sergei Bobrovsky, Alexander Wennberg/William Karlsson/ another forward prospect.

This is precisely the trap that Darryl Sutter got caught in. Started trading the farm for older players. Now granted, Stamkos is 25, I don't think he's going to come in here and turn us into a contender. In fact, he could seriously hamstring us because he is a pending UFA. He could flip the finger at us and walk away and then Tampa has Sam Bennett. We already trade Gilmour for Lehman. Stamkos isn't Lehman but the result could be similar. If he signs, for how much? 12 million a year? Why can't we just be patient and allow things to develop?

There seems to be in a mentality as if our window of opportunity is closing and we need to act now to capitalize. Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau are not pushing 30. Let's stop pretending as if they are. If you're window of opportunity is indeed closing, I can see trading picks and prospects for a Stanley Cup push. BTW, rarely does this tactic work. In any event, that's not the case here.

It is always the sports media types that make it sound like we are desperate which I don't think is the case. Should a deal come along like the Joe Nieuwendyk for Jerome Iginla deal then you need to pay attention. Hudler is the closest talent to a Nieuwendyk we have so I don't think we get a young Jerome Iginla type talent without spicing up our side of the deal.

I think we could stay the course or we could explore who might be an up and coming LW or RW to fit our top 6 and grow with this core.

1 person likes this

Some players that might be a fit for us.

PHI - Luke and Braydon Schenn

PIT - Beau Bennett

OTT - Curtis Lazur

This is precisely the trap that Darryl Sutter got caught in. Started trading the farm for older players. Now granted, Stamkos is 25, I don't think he's going to come in here and turn us into a contender. In fact, he could seriously hamstring us because he is a pending UFA. He could flip the finger at us and walk away and then Tampa has Sam Bennett. We already trade Gilmour for Lehman. Stamkos isn't Lehman but the result could be similar. If he signs, for how much? 12 million a year? Why can't we just be patient and allow things to develop?

There seems to be in a mentality as if our window of opportunity is closing and we need to act now to capitalize. Sean Monahan and Johnny Gaudreau are not pushing 30. Let's stop pretending as if they are. If you're window of opportunity is indeed closing, I can see trading picks and prospects for a Stanley Cup push. BTW, rarely does this tactic work. In any event, that's not the case here.

I prefer to be patient and wait for the team to develop. It'll take a few more years. I think we have overshot in where we thought we were and how far ahead some of our young players are. The NHL is a tough league to play in and I think we are still a few more years away from being a perennial playoff team.

The way the lines are slumping, it looks like we could be in for a long season. You can say it was Hudler, Wideman, Bouma and company who were overachievers, but it could also be Jooris, Granlund and others who chipped in to create depth scoring who also overachieved. That was my biggest fear coming into the season.

1 person likes this

Not a fan of going after Stamkos. He is going to cost you a lot to acquire, he is a pending free agent, and he will cost 10+ million per year to acquire.

Like others here, I am disappointed at the start. It could haunt us down the stretch. Having said that, we are really closer to the beginning of the overhaul than the end, so we need to be patient. These days, there are few massive trades involving a clear winner and loser, so improvement is most likely accomplished by developing your own draft picks. 

1 person likes this

Hurler is a great player and mentor, but I agree term and dollars is going to be critical. In addition if you make the right trade you swap ST for LT and both teams win. I believe Dallas could be open to that sort of deal.

First up:

Kris Russell

To CBJ for

Cam Atkinson

Boone Jenner

Jh - mony - huds

Jenner - Bennett - Jones

Gio - wides

Brodie - hamilton

Nakludal - england

Ex. Raymond, bollig.

I think the more realistic trade is Russell for Atkinson. Russell alone wouldn't net you Jenner. Jenner still has a high ceiling and I doubt Columbus gives up on him yet.

While I would love to see Stamkos wearing the flaming C, I feel we would have to give up too much to get him. That and it doesn't really make sense to us financially.

The best move is often the one you don't make. 

That said, perhaps a goalie trade with CBJ would make sense for both sides? Bobrovsky hasn't been the same since he won the vezina, and our two supposed starters have been shaky at best this season. 

Perhaps;

To CBJ: Jonas Hiller, Kris Russell, (Maybe a later-round pick)

To CGY: Sergei Bobrovsky, Alexander Wennberg/William Karlsson/ another forward prospect.

No way Columbus gives up on Bobrovsky after 5 games.

I think the more realistic trade is Russell for Atkinson. Russell alone wouldn't net you Jenner. Jenner still has a high ceiling and I doubt Columbus gives up on him yet.

No way Columbus gives up on Bobrovsky after 5 games.

Bob has lost confidence.  That makes his value nil right now.  Pass.

I don't think the flames are high on any of there three goalies

Incredible how goaltending works. A team can seemingly be deep at the position and then things turn around in a hurry like in Anahiem

We should always be looking at trade options. If Tampa are inviting enquiries about Stamkos, you have to make the call. There are always players around the leaugue you think can make you're roster stronger and players in your own organization who are potential bargaining chips. Why not see what interest teams have in your own UFAs or players that just aren't fitting in. But I don't believe we're panicking after seven games and looking for a trade to save the season. We are a team who may or may not sneak into the post season this year (looking increasingly unlikely). We have to stick to the long game and continue to build our young roster. We are exactly the kind of team and in exactly the type if position where a 'short-term solution' can only be counter-productive.

I am all for a trade but not like the Stamko's trade. For one why would I leave a team with a shot at the cup to come here, makes zero sense. Secondly, i am pretty sure that 28 other team's would make be able to meet our offer and pay him what he needs. Think about it $9 to $10 mil for 1 guy, he is good but not good enough to change this around. Last I checked he scores goals doesn't play Defense or goal.

I agree we need help up front, but it is a team game. Putting that much money into one guy, really is not worth it.

I'm not a fan of STamkos either, not unless the deal came with an exclusive negotating window and they could get him signed prior to the deal, or at least gauge interest. Tampa has a good thing going and a great team so IMO if Stamkos hasn't signed yet its because he is motivated by the opporutnity to test FA. Giving up MOny, Bennett or whoever in order to get Stamkos just to have him walk at the end of the year would set this club back probably 2-3 years.

I dont' think you can trade your way out of this. I think people need to realize a "shake up" trade means you are trading your core. Trading Kris Russell for Cam atkinson is not going to "shake" things up. I have no problem with the Flames making a good hockey trade and improving their club but I think mid season "shake up" trades fail far more often than they are successfull.

I'm not a fan of STamkos either, not unless the deal came with an exclusive negotating window and they could get him signed prior to the deal, or at least gauge interest. Tampa has a good thing going and a great team so IMO if Stamkos hasn't signed yet its because he is motivated by the opporutnity to test FA. Giving up MOny, Bennett or whoever in order to get Stamkos just to have him walk at the end of the year would set this club back probably 2-3 years.

I dont' think you can trade your way out of this. I think people need to realize a "shake up" trade means you are trading your core. Trading Kris Russell for Cam atkinson is not going to "shake" things up. I have no problem with the Flames making a good hockey trade and improving their club but I think mid season "shake up" trades fail far more often than they are successfull.

Stamkos is a pipe dream this team is not ready for now.

In staying with the rebuild from the net out, we need to find some stability in the net.

Defense with Brodie back should sort itself out, maybe even make someone expendable should BT want to trade.

Forwards if we want to get away from players that are really 3rd line players playing up on our 1st and 2nd lines, we either need a trade or someone that is here now to step up big time and prove they belong there.

Anyone can be traded if it makes the team better. Chances are you can't improve the team by moving Hudler. Wideman is probably true as well as I don't think you get an equivalent player back due to the contract. Treliving might be able to make us better by moving Russell for a forward though.

I just hope the Flames don't panic and start moving first round picks or our top young guys for a quick fix. Treliving seems smart and patient. But the temptation to save the season has to be there.

I agree if you are moving a Hudler or Wideman you would be looking to improve the future not the immediate. Both Hudler and Russell have contracts expiring and if BT doesn't see paying them much beyond what they are making now, trading them could net us that future LW or RW we need for the top 2 lines. Wideman is still useful to us and as 2 years remaining on his contract however if someone came asking I would be listening.