Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,425 posts in this topic

The rumoured asking price for Russell was a 1st and a prospect. That seems high. If true, then Nich or Ritchie meets the sniff test. Sure, I would add, but I doubt they want picks back with Russell. They probably want live bodies. ones with salary retained? Hiller at half price? Bollig? Just throwing out names. No idea of their needs.

If the asking price is a 1st and prospect, I would still want a 1st with Ritchie, but I don't think that highly of him. I wouldn't be mad if we got Ritchie or Nichushkin but neither are in the top 5 of prospects I would want from Dallas.

If the asking price is a 1st and prospect, I would still want a 1st with Ritchie, but I don't think that highly of him. I wouldn't be mad if we got Ritchie or Nichushkin but neither are in the top 5 of prospects I would want from Dallas.

Missed what you suggested from Dallas.  You looking at Jamie O?

On another note, unrelated to Russell....

Ottawa is shopping Wiercioch.  He's making $2.7m in his final year and will be a RFA.  Will get that in a QO.  He's been a scratch lately, but that may be keeping him healthy for TDL.  Not really sure.  Anyway, do you think Ottawa would like Colborne in return?  They could use a young player.  Probably easier for Joe in the East.  And he could possibly help them in their little chance playoff push.

On still another note:

CGY is supposedly in talks with TBL for Drouin.  Them and 11 other teams.  Don't think we have anything that gets the job done.  Sorry, but the 1st rounder is not for sale.

Missed what you suggested from Dallas. You looking at Jamie O?

On another note, unrelated to Russell....

Ottawa is shopping Wiercioch. He's making $2.7m in his final year and will be a RFA. Will get that in a QO. He's been a scratch lately, but that may be keeping him healthy for TDL. Not really sure. Anyway, do you think Ottawa would like Colborne in return? They could use a young player. Probably easier for Joe in the East. And he could possibly help them in their little chance playoff push.

On still another note:

CGY is supposedly in talks with TBL for Drouin. Them and 11 other teams. Don't think we have anything that gets the job done. Sorry, but the 1st rounder is not for sale.

I have zero interest in Oleksiak.

1.Denis Gurianov

2.Esa Lindell

3.Julius Honka

4.Jyrki Jokipakka

5.Patrick Nemeth

6.Valeri Nichushkin

7.Stephen Johns

8.Jason Dickinson

9.Brett Ritchie

10.Brett Pollock

11.Roope Hintz

As far as Wiercioch goes, I don't mind the player but $2.7m is a lot to pay a 5/6/7 defenseman. If we can move Smid and or Engelland than maybe but I would keep Colborne over Wiercioch.

Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) tweeted at 8:32 PM on Sun, Feb 28, 2016:

Dallas remains focused on either Russell or Hamhuis. Stars have a lot of time for Russell. Flames hoping to fetch two 2nds in return.

I will admit I would be tad dissapointed if we don't get a prospect off my list.

I have a hard time seeing Russell returning a prospect, i really do and even if they did I don't think we are talking about a hgh end prospect. Ladd was easly the biggest catch to be had this trade deadline and returned a good, but not great prospct so why is Dallas suddenly going to giv eup someone like Nichuskchin for Russell? russell will probably barely play a top 4 role for them. 

I just don't see it. I do think the flames prefer picks anyway, but i just don't see Russel returning the type of return some are hinting at/expecting. IMo 2 2nds is very good return for Russell. I said it earlier, or in a different thread, but I really think the Flames and people around the flames have  much higher opinion of russell than the rest of the league. 

Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) tweeted at 8:32 PM on Sun, Feb 28, 2016:

Dallas remains focused on either Russell or Hamhuis. Stars have a lot of time for Russell. Flames hoping to fetch two 2nds in return.

I will admit I would be tad dissapointed if we don't get a prospect off my list.

I am loathe to understand why Hamhuis would be considered in the same conversation as Russell.  Probably trying to drive down the cost.  I really don't care about the return on Russell.  He's not part of the core and I don't really want him re-signed.  Get what you can and move on.  

Think if Wideman hadn't been suspended , we'd have 2 of the top D men on the market right now. Would have have been interesting with what we'd have received in return. This appeal process is ridiculous though, might've still been able to offload him if a reduced appeal was processed by now

Think if Wideman hadn't been suspended , we'd have 2 of the top D men on the market right now. Would have have been interesting with what we'd have received in return. This appeal process is ridiculous though, might've still been able to offload him if a reduced appeal was processed by now

Wideman would not have been one of the top dmen on the market with his contract. not saying he can't be dealt, but if he does it own't be for much return. 

If the Flames somehow did land Drouin do they put him back in the AHL for a stint or bring him right into the lineup? He's looking to play in the NHL, if he proves he's still not there yet he could prove to be a distraction here as well if we send him to Stockton. I like his potential but he really hasn't done anything in the pros to guarantee him a starting spot

Wideman would not have been one of the top dmen on the market with his contract. not saying he can't be dealt, but if he does it own't be for much return. 

Would not Wideman and cash be in the same value area as J Shultz = 3rd round pick ?

Wideman gone would be a plus going forward.

If the Flames somehow did land Drouin do they put him back in the AHL for a stint or bring him right into the lineup? He's looking to play in the NHL, if he proves he's still not there yet he could prove to be a distraction here as well if we send him to Stockton. I like his potential but he really hasn't done anything in the pros to guarantee him a starting spot

I honestly have no feel for what the Flames would have to put up for Drouin or our willingness. Guess we might find out tomorrow.

Would not Wideman and cash be in the same value area as J Shultz = 3rd round pick ?

I honestly have no feel for what the Flames would have to put up for Drouin or our willingness. Guess we might find out tomorrow.

Schultz is younger and cheaper and if it doesn't work they can just let him go in the summer.

Wideman's contract is a really tough pill to swallow.

Washington just freed up a bunch of cap space by moving Latch, I wonder if they take a run at Russell, Carlson is injured for the next month.

Would not Wideman and cash be in the same value area as J Shultz = 3rd round pick ?

If Schultz got a 3rd rd pick I'd imagine Wideman would fetch more. Schultz was making $4mill so it's not as if he was so much cheaper than widemans contract, plus Wideman is RH shot and their in demand right now. It would be insulting if Schultz magically had more value then Widemen on the market

Schultz is younger and cheaper and if it doesn't work they can just let him go in the summer.

Washington just freed up a bunch of cap space by moving Latch, I wonder if they take a run at Russell, Carlson is injured for the next month.

Yeah they've already handed over their 2nd rd pick so if they are a trading partner we're looking at a 3rd pick and prospect maybe? Who knows maybe they give us their late 1st rd pick ?

If Schultz got a 3rd rd pick I'd imagine Wideman would fetch more. Schultz was making $4mill so it's not as if he was so much cheaper than widemans contract, plus Wideman is RH shot and their in demand right now. It would be insulting if Schultz magically had more value then Widemen on the market

Yeah they've already handed over their 2nd rd pick so if they are a trading partner we're looking at a 3rd pick and prospect maybe? Who knows maybe they give us their late 1st rd pick ?

Why milk it, I would take a 3rd just to not have him here next year.

Retained salary means makes it an easier pill.  2.65m for 2 seasons vs 1.95m for 1 season.  Jultz being a rental while Wideman being a trade asset for next season.  Would think they could flip him if they wanted.  

Landing Drouin would be in line with what BT has been preaching acquiring young skilled assets. That would give us 5 #1 picks from 2013, not a bad way to grow the youth movement

Yzerman would want our 1st in this draft I am sure of it, lots of teams interested so Yzerman can play hard ball.

Yzerman would want our 1st in this draft I am sure of it, lots of teams interested so Yzerman can play hard ball.

TBL has1.6 mill in cap space with a raise going to stamkos (probably another 1.5 mil) and 7 rfas ( 6 of the 7 young prospects) to resign. They need to trade Drouin for pics or prospects with elc time.

Heres what I could see going down

Shinkaruk, Raymond( 2.5 mill retained salary, our 2 x second rnd 2016 picks) for Drouin

Why TBL would do this they get a decent prospect in Shinkaruk, a free player Raymond that could easily gel and help the team, and 2 pics. and only 600 k added to their cap space next season.

Why Flames would do this is Shinkaruk is an unknown factor (one we didn't want in the first place) Raymond we are going to pay 3.15 mil next year anyways and not play him. The 2 pics ( at least we keep our 1st rnd)

Insulting it may be, but Schultz does have more value. He's a rental that can be let go, while Wideman is signed next season for 5.25. That makes a big difference. Wideman is also a public pariah now and permanent Zebra target, so you would probably have to pay someone to take him.

Tampa may be fed up of Drouin but he is a top prospect who's upside is through the roof. Half the league are interested and they won't find him in the bargain basement. The assets we would need to give up are the ones we need to keep. He will be high-price and, potentially, high-maintenance.

TBL has1.6 mill in cap space with a raise going to stamkos (probably another 1.5 mil) and 7 rfas ( 6 of the 7 young prospects) to resign. They need to trade Drouin for pics or prospects with elc time.

Heres what I could see going down

Shinkaruk, Raymond( 2.5 mill retained salary, our 2 x second rnd 2016 picks) for Drouin

Why TBL would do this they get a decent prospect in Shinkaruk, a free player Raymond that could easily gel and help the team, and 2 pics. and only 600 k added to their cap space next season.

Why Flames would do this is Shinkaruk is an unknown factor (one we didn't want in the first place) Raymond we are going to pay 3.15 mil next year anyways and not play him. The 2 pics ( at least we keep our 1st rnd)

Hey I don't mind Drouin but would not pay what your asking for a unproven prospect that is currently having a pout fest because he isn't getting his way. If TBA wants a prospect of similar quality than give them Shink, straight up nothing more. Drouin makes us smaller at left wing not larger, IMHO I keep Shink over Drouin based on attitude and size.

Our main focus at the TDL should be picks and prospects. We need RW and a goalie, acquire a boat load of picks to get one or both in the off season. Drouin would not be any where near my first choice unless we obtain him to get someone else. May sound crazy but I would look to get Yak out of EDM. He would fit well on a line with JH- Mony, It wold take a 3 team trade to do so.  

Our main focus at the TDL should be picks and prospects. We need RW and a goalie, acquire a boat load of picks to get one or both in the off season. Drouin would not be any where near my first choice unless we obtain him to get someone else. May sound crazy but I would look to get Yak out of EDM. He would fit well on a line with JH- Mony, It wold take a 3 team trade to do so.

Yak is the furthest thing from what we need on our top line. He's a lazy player, who doesn't create his own offence and doesn't play defence. Oh did I forget to mention he won't go to the dirty areas or battle for the puck. The only thing he's got going for him is a good shot, and we already mony on the top line, big pass.

Bryan Murray is looking for a Center with term. Turris is shut down for the season. Patrick Wiercioch is being dangled (RFA).... Stajan? I'd do it in a heartbeat. He meets the criteria Bryan Murray is looking for, and Murray would be familiar with the player from when he played for the Leafs. Here's hoping anyway.

Bryan Murray is looking for a Center with term. Turris is shut down for the season. Patrick Wiercioch is being dangled (RFA).... Stajan? I'd do it in a heartbeat. He meets the criteria Bryan Murray is looking for, and Murray would be familiar with the player from when he played for the Leafs. Here's hoping anyway.

I was thinking about that too... Maybe Colborne?

Love.

1 person likes this

I was thinking about that too... Maybe Colborne?

Love.

Colborne being an RFA might do it as well!

Interestingly enough - if Stajan were to go to Ottawa, they'd have 2 players that were traded for each other, playing together... Staj & Phaneuf

Murray flat out said "Any GMs wanting to give me a Center with term, give me a call" on the TSN interview. Get on it BT!

Tampa may be fed up of Drouin but he is a top prospect who's upside is through the roof. Half the league are interested and they won't find him in the bargain basement. The assets we would need to give up are the ones we need to keep. He will be high-price and, potentially, high-maintenance.

Here is a suggested blockbuster; Gaudreau & Hiller for Drouin LW, Vasilevskiy G and Sustr RHD. Would BT go for it ?

It wouldn't be the first time, Flames traded St.Louis and even Brett Hull as relative rookies.

We get a projected top 6 forward, a touted #1 Goalie and a big RHS Defenseman.

Thoughts, it is TRADE DAY.

Colborne being an RFA might do it as well!

Interestingly enough - if Stajan were to go to Ottawa, they'd have 2 players that were traded for each other, playing together... Staj & Phaneuf

Murray flat out said "Any GMs wanting to give me a Center with term, give me a call" on the TSN interview. Get on it BT!

Wouldn't that be sweet. LOL

Here is a suggested blockbuster; Gaudreau & Hiller for Drouin LW, Vasilevskiy G and Sustr RHD. Would BT go for it ?

It wouldn't be the first time, Flames traded St.Louis and even Brett Hull as relative rookies.

We get a projected top 6 forward, a touted #1 Goalie and a big RHS Defenseman.

Thoughts, it is TRADE DAY.

Wouldn't that be sweet. LOL

Relative rookies?

Gaudreau is 2 months away from being an $8-mil-per player...