Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,290 posts in this topic

If you were following the conversation, the "where" was in relation to Boston scouting him, not on his academic abilities.

Even though his academics are strong... Do you think it's a coincidence that he changed his number to six?! He knows that he's six feet tall, and he's 33 years old. He also knows that 3 + 3 = 6!

You'd think it'd be New Jersey scouting him.

Love.

I believe it means his IQ is well above your average NHLer lol.

Think Harvard. Harvard students are by no means looking down on Brown students. To be accepted into an Ivy League school like Brown, you are definitely scholarly in the best of ways.

When you think top institutions on the continent, Brown is in the conversation.

In fact, for me, you've just shed some light on him and how he plays.

It means he has a diploma from a respected university to fall back on if this hockey thing doesn't work out.

Book smart means nothing in hockey. Gordie Howe could barely read when he became  a top notch NHLer.

It means he has a diploma from a respected university to fall back on if this hockey thing doesn't work out.

Book smart means nothing in hockey. Gordie Howe could barely read when he became  a top notch NHLer.

And George Parros has a degree from Princeton University. 

And George Parros has a degree from Princeton University. 

So Did Kevin Westgarth.. must be a tough team to play  LOL

If Patrik Laine is going to Winnipeg, I think Joel Armia could be available.

What you think about Armia? Big RW with lots of skills.

Why would WPG do that ?

I wouldn't mind trying to get Armia, I just don't see a lot of offensive upside with him. I see him being more of a 3rd liner, but we need those too.

I wouldn't mind trying to get Armia, I just don't see a lot of offensive upside with him. I see him being more of a 3rd liner, but we need those too.

Either Armia or Lowry or both would be good additions but what do we have to trade to WPG for their needs ?

We need to UPGRADE from what we've got, not just add to the glut of bodies we already have. Not interested.

Look at Pittsburg, for example. They gave up a ton for the huge upgrade in Kessel, who is anchoring a third dangerous line and killing it in the playoffs.

You can only have 23 guys on the roster, and we don't have spots for everybody now.....

We need to UPGRADE from what we've got, not just add to the glut of bodies we already have. Not interested.

Look at Pittsburg, for example. They gave up a ton for the huge upgrade in Kessel, who is anchoring a third dangerous line and killing it in the playoffs.

You can only have 23 guys on the roster, and we don't have spots for everybody now.....

The Flames bottom 6 was terrible last year. Sure maybe you could argue their is a glut of players there but its a glut of sub part options IMO. Armia would deifnetly be an upgrade on what the Flames have right now. Especially as he still has some top 6 upside as power forwards typically take a litlte longer. I don't think Winnipeg lets him go for cheap though.

Outside of Backlund(who might not even be in the bottom 6) Flames have Bouma and that's it in terms of guys who are solid bottom 6 forwards. Ferland may get there but he needs work but everyone else is IMO a poor fit/not good enough player if the Flames want to get a legit bottom 6. 

The Flames bottom 6 was terrible last year. Sure maybe you could argue their is a glut of players there but its a glut of sub part options IMO. Armia would deifnetly be an upgrade on what the Flames have right now. Especially as he still has some top 6 upside as power forwards typically take a litlte longer. I don't think Winnipeg lets him go for cheap though.

Outside of Backlund(who might not even be in the bottom 6) Flames have Bouma and that's it in terms of guys who are solid bottom 6 forwards. Ferland may get there but he needs work but everyone else is IMO a poor fit/not good enough player if the Flames want to get a legit bottom 6. 

I would like to be in a situation where the likes of Backlund/Frolik is our 3rd line.  Sammy has what it takes to be top 6.  Need a top RW and a 2nd line LW and RW to complete that.  

I hope some of our forward prospects graduate and are good enough to be top 9 players.  Barring that, I hope we try to get guys like Hayes or Kreider (just two examples) to fill out the top 9.  Yes, we need to move out guys to do it.   

A lot of this discussion will depend on how serious BT gets with his efforts in unloading players standing in the way and ones that will never make the grade. Right now I wouldn't say we even have a bottom 6, we have a 2A and 2B situation until Bennett matures and they find him some legit top 6 type wingers. I see this next season as experimental with the offseason moves setting the tone.

I would like to be in a situation where the likes of Backlund/Frolik is our 3rd line.  Sammy has what it takes to be top 6.  Need a top RW and a 2nd line LW and RW to complete that.  

I hope some of our forward prospects graduate and are good enough to be top 9 players.  Barring that, I hope we try to get guys like Hayes or Kreider (just two examples) to fill out the top 9.  Yes, we need to move out guys to do it.   

I think we are a season away from Bennett and an assembled line truly becoming this team's 2nd line. If there is any opportunities out there to upgrade our talent levels BT needs to clear out the redundancy and do it.

I think we are a season away from Bennett and an assembled line truly becoming this team's 2nd line. If there is any opportunities out there to upgrade our talent levels BT needs to clear out the redundancy and do it.

What I was getting at was that minutes-wise, you concentrate on Bennett's line becoming the 2nd scoring line, 2nd in minutes played.  Need the addition of a top 6 capable player + a top prospect making the jump (or two prospects).  In an ideal world, Shink and Poirier are the two adds to Sammy's line.  Every one of them is a scoring threat.  They all have some defensive instincts. You would need to shelter them and bury Backlund's line to do it.  

I think BT will struggle this year to get all the right players on the roster.  Next year we can fix the rest of the holes, unless a glut of players are moved out.

There is no reason why Sam Bennett cannot be a full time 2nd line center next year. Monahan made that jump and IMO Bennett is more skilled than Monahan. 

I am completely comfortable with Bennett as this clubs number 2 center next year and that's my goal to get him there if i'm the Flames. Part of that is finding a winger for that line but I think they should be planning on him being this teams 2nd line next year. 

1 person likes this

There is no reason why Sam Bennett cannot be a full time 2nd line center next year. Monahan made that jump and IMO Bennett is more skilled than Monahan. 

I am completely comfortable with Bennett as this clubs number 2 center next year and that's my goal to get him there if i'm the Flames. Part of that is finding a winger for that line but I think they should be planning on him being this teams 2nd line next year.

I agree with this. You drafted a center...you need him to play at center. He played his rookie year for the most part on the wing, played sheltered minutes to a degree and waited for him to develop a bit more physically and mentally. Another summer filling out his frame and he should easily make the transition back to his normal position given the skill level. Getting him some wingers to play with should be the way the Flames go. Can't wait to see what he can do next year.

So, I'm looking at teams that are in a special kind of cap hell for potential trade targets and goalies in particular. Of those teams, I see Pittsburgh and Dallas as being the ones in most need of relief. Although Dallas has much more available cap space for next year, they are a little more hampered than other teams such as Philadelphia in being able to address their needs. Without taking into consideration the potential expansion draft and its impact upon the goalie market, I think there is potential to make a deal with one of these two teams. 

Dallas would be the more straight-forward as they need defencemen. There is no guarantee that Goligoski, for instance, will re-sign which leaves them with precisely two steady d-men. Would Wideman + a pick be enough to pry away either Lehtonen or Niemi and would either one be a worthwhile pickup? Although such a deal somewhat addresses weaknesses for both clubs, is either goalie that much of an upgrade over our erstwhile duo from last year?

A deal with Pittsburgh would likely be much more complex as they look to me to be at least $10 million above the cap. In order for a deal to be made, we would likely have to involve a third team and deal Wideman for a pick, then move that pick to the Pens for Fleury. I see Fleury as being a substantial upgrade over last year's mess, although personally I don't feel he's an elite talent. The advantages to this deal are pretty obvious. Pittsburgh not only gains a substantial amount of cap relief, they also gain a pick (maybe a second or third rounder) and are still pretty comfortable moving forward with Murray as their #1. We trade from a position of strength and address a glaring hole while adding a negligible amount of salary. (Half a million?)

I can hear the naysayers already - "Why would they give up Fleury for a third round pick?!" Well, when you're $10 million in the hole, you're gonna be desperate. Malkin, Crosby, Kessel and Letang account for over $32mn and then you also have Hagelin, Mattaa, Hornqvist and Kunitz each making $4, things are really not looking so hot. What would you pay to get Fleury knowing that Pittsburgh needs to bend over a barrel?

Or do you go the easy route and sign Reimer and pray that he's an upgrade from Hiller/Ramo?

As TD said it will become a matter of linemates and minutes played. If the new coach gets this right and transitions the Backlund line to the 3rd line then great , this is what needs to happen. Where Frolik ends up will be a key question, I could see him with Bennett on RW.

So, I'm looking at teams that are in a special kind of cap hell for potential trade targets and goalies in particular. Of those teams, I see Pittsburgh and Dallas as being the ones in most need of relief. Although Dallas has much more available cap space for next year, they are a little more hampered than other teams such as Philadelphia in being able to address their needs. Without taking into consideration the potential expansion draft and its impact upon the goalie market, I think there is potential to make a deal with one of these two teams. 

Dallas would be the more straight-forward as they need defencemen. There is no guarantee that Goligoski, for instance, will re-sign which leaves them with precisely two steady d-men. Would Wideman + a pick be enough to pry away either Lehtonen or Niemi and would either one be a worthwhile pickup? Although such a deal somewhat addresses weaknesses for both clubs, is either goalie that much of an upgrade over our erstwhile duo from last year?

A deal with Pittsburgh would likely be much more complex as they look to me to be at least $10 million above the cap. In order for a deal to be made, we would likely have to involve a third team and deal Wideman for a pick, then move that pick to the Pens for Fleury. I see Fleury as being a substantial upgrade over last year's mess, although personally I don't feel he's an elite talent. The advantages to this deal are pretty obvious. Pittsburgh not only gains a substantial amount of cap relief, they also gain a pick (maybe a second or third rounder) and are still pretty comfortable moving forward with Murray as their #1. We trade from a position of strength and address a glaring hole while adding a negligible amount of salary. (Half a million?)

I can hear the naysayers already - "Why would they give up Fleury for a third round pick?!" Well, when you're $10 million in the hole, you're gonna be desperate. Malkin, Crosby, Kessel and Letang account for over $32mn and then you also have Hagelin, Mattaa, Hornqvist and Kunitz each making $4, things are really not looking so hot. What would you pay to get Fleury knowing that Pittsburgh needs to bend over a barrel?

Or do you go the easy route and sign Reimer and pray that he's an upgrade from Hiller/Ramo?

Offer them Stajan.

I like the idea of going after Fleury but I do think it will cost more. Where do you have Penguins at 10 mill over the cap? Capfriendly.com as them right at the cap next year (projected at 74) but they do have Dupuis's 3.5 mill that will go on LTIR. Basically their entire roster is under contract for next year so they can keep Fleury and still ice a time so I do think Fleury's value will be a bit higher.

I do think though that something along the lines of a 2nd rounder and Tyler Wotherpoon could get discussions going. You might have to include the Dallas first, but I think the Penguins need defence and specifically young dmen that are cheap. If the expansion draft goes through then no question in my mind Fleury will get dealt this offseason becuase Penguins won't want to risk the NMC and potetnially having to leave Murray unprotected. 

Wotherspoon and a 1st/2nd plus maybe a B prosepct I think is a pretty fair deal for both sides. Its also a deal I would do in a heartbeat. 

I'm looking at it based on general fanager at present date. They're up tight to the cap with Malkin listed on IR. I know there's a lot coming off of the books as of July 1, but that still leaves them with zero wiggle room and a full roster.

I'm looking at it based on general fanager at present date. They're up tight to the cap with Malkin listed on IR. I know there's a lot coming off of the books as of July 1, but that still leaves them with zero wiggle room and a full roster.

The 73.8 shown for 2016-17 allows for salaries listed under IR.

The Pens are in huge need of cap relief so unless they trade Crosby or Malkin unlikely they'll get enough by trading the lesser lights while Kessel & Letang are probably not in demand as they are paid richly but not difference maker enough for a team with cap space to want them.

If there is expansion & a draft in the near future we'll know before the entry draft. If it's coming Pittsburgh has a big decision to make. They can hope to re-sign Murray to a reasonable contract after July 1, protect him & trade MAF or trade Murray which only clears 0.62 unless a condition is to take a bigger contract along with him as part of the trade.

If backed into a corner by a confirmed expansion it's a hard time to trade a 5.75 x 3 goalie. Most teams are thinking about their own cap space & who they can expect to lose salary wise to make space then (still need to cover the now).

We need a goalie but would probably need to do a few buyouts to afford him after we've settled with Gaudreau & Monahan. "Nucks need a goalie but would need to buy out Miller. Leafs have space but a tandem of 4.15 Bernier & 5.75 MAF looks rather expensive when 63.4 is currently for 35 players.

With a small market & other goalies likely be shopped if teams need to prepare for expansion the Pens are sure to get low offers with the selling point it's doing them a favor (which they are because the cost of buyouts added to his cap makes him even more expensive/less worth it). A 4th rounder saves the cash & settles the decision.

Is Bernier worth considering if they take someone such as Wideman off our hands ? This would leave the Leafs goal situation wide open to make some deals. We were looking at Bernier around this year's TDL.

After watching Dallas's goaltending basically cost us a first round pick, I want nothing to do with Niemi or Lehtonen!!

In my opinion we try to get Frederik Andersen from Anaheim, he has good numbers, but Gibson seems to be the man of the future for them,

With a possible expansion coming Anaheim might be willing to part with Andersen while they can get a decent return, I would do the same deal as the Dougie Hamilton deal, 2 second rounders for Andersen, or a Second and a prospect.

After watching Dallas's goaltending basically cost us a first round pick, I want nothing to do with Niemi or Lehtonen!!

In my opinion we try to get Frederik Andersen from Anaheim, he has good numbers, but Gibson seems to be the man of the future for them,

With a possible expansion coming Anaheim might be willing to part with Andersen while they can get a decent return, I would do the same deal as the Dougie Hamilton deal, 2 second rounders for Andersen, or a Second and a prospect.

Hamilton cost us our 1st and 2 - 2nds rounders if I'm not mistaken. if we take Neimi and get that 1st back then we have the ammunition to try for either Andersen or Vasilevskiy should they be available. Neimi could be someone we leave unprotected in expansion.

Is Bernier worth considering if they take someone such as Wideman off our hands ? This would leave the Leafs goal situation wide open to make some deals. We were looking at Bernier around this year's TDL.

I think we would have to do this deal prior to FA.  I would hold off on Wideman and try to use something else we don't really need.  Actually bring back something usefll, you know, like a RW?