Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,241 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

He is so slow.  What is there to not get?

Do you mean he is incapable of skating quickly, or he doesn't put out enough energy when on the ice? If it is the latter, Peters can work on that. I wouldn't say Monahan skates quickly, but I suspect that he can turn on the jets when needed. I kind of thought that Neal was similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Do you mean he is incapable of skating quickly, or he doesn't put out enough energy when on the ice? If it is the latter, Peters can work on that. I wouldn't say Monahan skates quickly, but I suspect that he can turn on the jets when needed. I kind of thought that Neal was similar.

 

He is like Jagr-esk.  The 45-year-old version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

 

He is so slow.  What is there to not get?

 

I noticed his lack of speed as well. Is that due to the added speed of the team  or that’s hes slow? He needs offensive zone starts only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

 

I noticed his lack of speed as well. Is that due to the added speed of the team  or that’s hes slow? He needs offensive zone starts only.

I posed the question to Peeps above because I don't think that speed has been a problem associated with Neal in the past. Rather, he is known for his scoring and consistency. With hockey being a game of knowing when to expend and conserve energy, I wonder if he is just playing too carefully. We need more time to assess him IMO. Peeps is freaking me out because I have this fear of another Wideman, Brouwer, etc. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

 

I noticed his lack of speed as well. Is that due to the added speed of the team  or that’s hes slow? He needs offensive zone starts only.

 

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

I posed the question to Peeps above because I don't think that speed has been a problem associated with Neal in the past. Rather, he is known for his scoring and consistency. With hockey being a game of knowing when to expend and conserve energy, I wonder if he is just playing too carefully. We need more time to assess him IMO. Peeps is freaking me out because I have this fear of another Wideman, Brouwer, etc. 

 

It's not just top end speed.  It's overall agility, reaction time, and timing.  He supposedly has a great shot but he hasn't had the chance to show that yet.  Not getting enough quality PP time.  Not getting setup for the one timer. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see more from Neal when the real NHL starts in November.

He brings a lot of positives to the table.

Can we wait 10 games?

Be a real fan bwahaha. Blast from the past.

And a shout out to some of the most idiotic banter I've ever read.:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying Kapanen would be doing the same thing with our team as he is with Toronto and this year is a small sample size. But I sure felt that this was his upside playing with the opportunity to play with better players. I think we could have used him. 

 

Not that the leafs wouldve dealt him then, but wish we made a move when his value was lower.

 

i know some will say it’s because he plays with Matthews. But he still had to earn the right to stay on his line, plus I felt he was close all of the times I saw him play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

We'll see more from Neal when the real NHL starts in November.

He brings a lot of positives to the table.

Can we wait 10 games?

Be a real fan bwahaha. Blast from the past.

And a shout out to some of the most idiotic banter I've ever read.:ph34r:

Oh yeah? Hold my beer. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

We'll see more from Neal when the real NHL starts in November.

He brings a lot of positives to the table.

Can we wait 10 games?

Be a real fan bwahaha. Blast from the past.

And a shout out to some of the most idiotic banter I've ever read.:ph34r:

 

You mean in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what people were expecting to see from Neal in such a small sample size.

He's good for 20 goals per year.  It doesn't translate to one goal every 4 games, yet we are close to that rate anyway.

Backlund has how many points?

Bennett, though looking rejuvinated, is still sitting with 1g, 1a.

Is this really concerning?

 

We want secondary scoring this season.  Gio and Brodie are doing their part from the backend.

The only player that has played every game and has zero points is Valimaki.

 

Any trade suggestion needs to identify a hole on this team and not leave a hole if addressed.

I don't see any real holes at this point.  Goaltending is sketchy right now because we haven't seen the starter play lights out yet.

Defense has been fine, even without Hamonic.

Every forward line has good games and bad ones.  Not really a hole as much as some inconsistency.

 

Trade for a starter?  Only if Smith is part of that trade.

Better backup?  Only if we don't have any confidence in Rittich, and we trade him as part of the deal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure what people were expecting to see from Neal in such a small sample size.

 

It's not about the points.

 

I was not expecting to see a player who gets pushed around and falls easily.  Loses puck battles.  Haven't really showed us his one timer or slap shot.  I thought these were his strengths.  

 

He doesn't outright suck but we are seeing a $5-mil player put on a $2-mil performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

It's not about the points.

 

I was not expecting to see a player who gets pushed around and falls easily.  Loses puck battles.  Haven't really showed us his one timer or slap shot.  I thought these were his strengths.  

 

He doesn't outright suck but we are seeing a $5-mil player put on a $2-mil performance.

 

I guess what I am hearing from a lot of other posters is that it is too early to criticize his body of work. From what I've seen, he's had one game where he has seemed engaged. Other games, he's seemed kind of like he's floating and not really getting into open ice to use his skills. Is that him, or is that the system? 
It's one thing to conserve your energy, but at least find the open areas to get the shots off, or dig in the corners? 

 

I wonder if it has a lot to do with his zone starts? That's a stat that I don't really look at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

It's not about the points.

 

I was not expecting to see a player who gets pushed around and falls easily.  Loses puck battles.  Haven't really showed us his one timer or slap shot.  I thought these were his strengths.  

 

He doesn't outright suck but we are seeing a $5-mil player put on a $2-mil performance.

 

And Backlund can;t hit the net.

All I am saying is that some players start slow.

Pairing him with Ryan and Dube may not be the best use of a scoring forward.

I like Dube, but I think his game is still adapting to the NHL.  His passes to Neal and vice versa haven;t been crisp.

 

I expect we will start to see the real deal soon enough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Stone playing some decent hockey of late that could potentially open the door for a trade if thats the route BT chooses to go. Obviously points aren't everything for goalies, but 4 assists in 7 games is a good look for Stone.

 

Personally, I'm hesitant to trade him in season as I don't trust Prout.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With Stone playing some decent hockey of late that could potentially open the door for a trade if thats the route BT chooses to go. Obviously points aren't everything for goalies defensemen, but 4 assists in 7 games is a good look for Stone.

 

Personally, I'm hesitant to trade him in season as I don't trust Prout.

Fixed it 1st.

If BT can find a sucker taker he should trade him & find = or better with less cap hit. There are guys as good or better available now. Then add depth @ the deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With Stone playing some decent hockey of late that could potentially open the door for a trade if thats the route BT chooses to go. Obviously points aren't everything for goalies, but 4 assists in 7 games is a good look for Stone.

 

Personally, I'm hesitant to trade him in season as I don't trust Prout.

 

There is very little reason to create cap space at this stage if the season.  Also, if we are so lucky to make the playoffs, then we are going to need an extra NHL body on D.  Just never know.

 

But ya, hopefully someone will trade for him in June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 This club is so guilty of throwing pennies in the well wishing for miracles, point being the experiment of Brodie and Gio is not working.  The guy is clearly over his head as a # 2 guy, would require a solid partner to be 3-4 guy. The mistakes he makes are that of a rookie, so my question is what can Brodie fetch on the market? Are largest requirement is goalie, can he at least fetch us that?

 

I like what I have seen this year but Smith and Brodie are the weakest links currently

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

... so my question is what can Brodie fetch on the market? Are largest requirement is goalie, can he at least fetch us that?

 

Like it or not, Brodie isn't going anywhere. If you want a starter or known commodity with serious starter potential (ie: Matt Murray a couple of years ago), we're paying a premium. I think it costs one of Rasmussen/Valimaki, and probably Bennett. So, it really is a bit of a non-starter. 

 

Love.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

 This club is so guilty of throwing pennies in the well wishing for miracles, point being the experiment of Brodie and Gio is not working.  The guy is clearly over his head as a # 2 guy, would require a solid partner to be 3-4 guy. The mistakes he makes are that of a rookie, so my question is what can Brodie fetch on the market? Are largest requirement is goalie, can he at least fetch us that?

 

I like what I have seen this year but Smith and Brodie are the weakest links currently

 

Who is going to trade us a starting goalie at this stage of the season though?

 

Markstrom?  Has Nilsson won the starters job?

Schneider?  Kinkaid has proven himself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

Who is going to trade us a starting goalie at this stage of the season though?

 

Markstrom?  Has Nilsson won the starters job?

Schneider?  Kinkaid has proven himself?

 

And are either of those upgrades or starters? Not imo. 

 

Not an easy fix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Dubas at the Flames game hey, let the rumors fly hahaha. Nice to see Brodie bumped down. Did any one notice how bad he made Hanifin look? Brodie is at best a 5-6 guy. Anderson steps up and looks good  with Gio. Nice to see a D partner with some Hockey IQ up top. Was Anderson being showcased tonight, I don't think, I think Brodie is the trade part but tonight's performance would have Dubas Saying Nah, what about that Anderson Kid, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were the leafs in the Czarnik hunt?  Is he injured, kind of surprised that he has not made his way back into the lineup?  Rasmus and Czarnik for Nylander?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

So Dubas at the Flames game hey, let the rumors fly hahaha. Nice to see Brodie bumped down. Did any one notice how bad he made Hanifin look? Brodie is at best a 5-6 guy. Anderson steps up and looks good  with Gio. Nice to see a D partner with some Hockey IQ up top. Was Anderson being showcased tonight, I don't think, I think Brodie is the trade part but tonight's performance would have Dubas Saying Nah, what about that Anderson Kid, though. 

 

He's there for Bennett.  Bennett for Nylander straight up.

 

Ras was a stud.  No doubt there.  He earned his 19 minutes tonight.

Brodie still ended up with 21 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

He's there for Bennett.  Bennett for Nylander straight up.

 

Ras was a stud.  No doubt there.  He earned his 19 minutes tonight.

Brodie still ended up with 21 minutes.

Yeah I don't see how that works as we can not do the contract for Nylander unless there is a minimum 6 Mill going the other way. He could have been there eyeing some one from the Rags as well. TO need dman scoring is not there issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.