Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,241 posts in this topic

Our best chance at Nylander was when we had Dougie, that ship has sailed. TOR will sign him at the number they want or else move him for a RHD. 

Look for teams like CAR and MIN to have interest in Nylander. Pesce or Spurgeon/Dumba would make a ton of sense for the Leafs

As much as I like Nylander I agree that the Flames are past the point where trading a Dman for a forward like him makes a lot of sense. Scoring has not been an issue for the Flames so far, and really doesn't look like that will become an issue, but D has been. part of that is a young d core but it would give me pause to acquiring another highly paid forward at the expense of it. 

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As much as I like Nylander I agree that the Flames are past the point where trading a Dman for a forward like him makes a lot of sense. Scoring has not been an issue for the Flames so far, and really doesn't look like that will become an issue, but D has been. part of that is a young d core but it would give me pause to acquiring another highly paid forward at the expense of it. 

I would consider trading Stone for an LHS, since we have little depth there.  Brodie is set on RD, and we have Hammer and Hanifin available for RD.  Prout for emergencies only.  Need some depth in case of injury on LD.  If Gio were to be injured, we would be in tough.

Saying that, there's little chance we can upgrade LD using Stone.  Maybe a team needs a RHS and has excess LHS's.  Wouldn;t overpay for the most common of handedness on D.

51 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Dubus was likely scouting Shattenkirk not the Flames at all. I agree with the way Bennett is playing and Tkachuk heading to a new contract the Flames will need to watch their budget heading into next season.

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Dubus was likely scouting Shattenkirk not the Flames at all. I agree with the way Bennett is playing and Tkachuk heading to a new contract the Flames will need to watch their budget heading into next season.

Shatty is no better than Gardiner.  Same type of player.  All offence, no defense.

Dubas can kiss my Phat Ras.  :P

Leafs trades have not gone well for us, so I'm willing to walk away from any suggestions he has.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Ya man.  Unless we trade Neal for Nylander.  Otherwise, we don't have enough D to trade a D for a forward at this stage.  If we trade a D, then it needs to be for another D or for goaltending.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Shatty is no better than Gardiner.  Same type of player.  All offence, no defense.

Dubas can kiss my Phat Ras.  :P

Leafs trades have not gone well for us, so I'm willing to walk away from any suggestions he has.

It is whatever they think there and they love Gardiner so take it from there. Shattenkirk would provide some maturity for sure.

Nylander is quickly becoming one of the most overrated players, ever.  If he wants $8-mil long term, then no team should be interested.

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Nylander is quickly becoming one of the most overrated players, ever.  If he wants $8-mil long term, then no team should be interested.

I liked Draisaitl, but I think he's overpaid.  The majority of his points came from playing with McDavid.

But, big power forwards that can play center are rare.  Not $8.5m rare unless he can drive his own line.

Him an Willie can take their $8.5m and pound sand and kill their respective team's cap.

What is it about players that make them think they are worth $10m and up.

Some have toiled away for less, and deserve to get paid in their last big contract.  Or close to it.

Getting $8.5m and up on your first deal after ELC?

That should be the absolute exception, not the norm.

I'm not a fan of paying McDavid $15m US for a season, but at least he accounts for 40% of the points his teams scores.

The agents and agent companies are quickly driving us towards another lockout.

They've even build lockut proof year(s) into the players' deals because they know what is coming. 

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I liked Draisaitl, but I think he's overpaid.  The majority of his points came from playing with McDavid.

But, big power forwards that can play center are rare.  Not $8.5m rare unless he can drive his own line.

Him an Willie can take their $8.5m and pound sand and kill their respective team's cap.

What is it about players that make them think they are worth $10m and up.

Some have toiled away for less, and deserve to get paid in their last big contract.  Or close to it.

Getting $8.5m and up on your first deal after ELC?

That should be the absolute exception, not the norm.

I'm not a fan of paying McDavid $15m US for a season, but at least he accounts for 40% of the points his teams scores.

The agents and agent companies are quickly driving us towards another lockout.

They've even build lockut proof year(s) into the players' deals because they know what is coming. 

I think we all knew at the time when they paid McDavid 12.5M and Drasaitl 8.5M  all agents would be licking their lips.

Just spitballing here but what about Stone to TB with perhaps some $ retained for Coburn (1 year left at 3.7)

TB only has 2 RHD on their roster and both are pending UFA's in Stralman in Girardi. While he is slowing down a bit I think there will be a market for Stralman and they will be unable to keep him, Girardi I don't think it matters if he walks or not. The only RHD of any potential they have in the system is Cal Foote and by lots of scouting reports he needs to work on his skating. Stone would give them a RHD locked down for next year with cost certainty.

Coburn gives us some experienced depth and won't be hampered by not playing every night. 

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

Coburn

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't disagree. He is a decent offensive player, is young, and could continue to get better. But he is looking for too much money. His comparables are guys like Reinhart and Larkin. 6 million on a mid term deal or 4 on a bridge. 

He doesn't fit on the Flames. We are set on wing with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Neal, Lindholm are all long term (expensive) pieces with a number of short term options and young potentials. We can't afford him. Wing is the one position we are absolutely set at. 

37 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Just spitballing here but what about Stone to TB with perhaps some $ retained for Coburn (1 year left at 3.7)

TB only has 2 RHD on their roster and both are pending UFA's in Stralman in Girardi. While he is slowing down a bit I think there will be a market for Stralman and they will be unable to keep him, Girardi I don't think it matters if he walks or not. The only RHD of any potential they have in the system is Cal Foote and by lots of scouting reports he needs to work on his skating. Stone would give them a RHD locked down for next year with cost certainty.

Coburn gives us some experienced depth and won't be hampered by not playing every night. 

Giordano-Brodie

Hanifin-Hamonic

Valimaki-Andersson

Coburn

I was thinking along the same lines TBC. Trade Stone who is a RHD with term for an LHD on an expiring contract. I can’t comment on Coburn specifically but I wouldn’t accept anything less than an LHD that would slot in as a third pairing guy because we’ll need some depth in the event of an injury. Does Coburn fit that bill? Or is he more like a 7th D?

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

I don't disagree. He is a decent offensive player, is young, and could continue to get better. But he is looking for too much money. His comparables are guys like Reinhart and Larkin. 6 million on a mid term deal or 4 on a bridge. 

He doesn't fit on the Flames. We are set on wing with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Neal, Lindholm are all long term (expensive) pieces with a number of short term options and young potentials. We can't afford him. Wing is the one position we are absolutely set at. 

Ya what I mean is, he's $6-mil good.  He's not $8-mil good and doesn't deserve a penny more than comparables like Pastrnak and Ehlers.  He's a "good" player.

8 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I was thinking along the same lines TBC. Trade Stone who is a RHD with term for an LHD on an expiring contract. I can’t comment on Coburn specifically but I wouldn’t accept anything less than an LHD that would slot in as a third pairing guy because we’ll need some depth in the event of an injury. Does Coburn fit that bill? Or is he more like a 7th D?

I agree with the sentiment.  We need to clear some cap space for next season, so at some point between now and then Stone should be moved to do so.  Nothing against Stone, Anderson is just both better and cheaper.  

1 person likes this

Any interest in Lehner as a target for TDL?

Played starter sgare of games over the last while.

This is a break the glass trade and assumes that Smith isn't cuttung it or LTI.

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Any interest in Lehner as a target for TDL?

Played starter sgare of games over the last while.

This is a break the glass trade and assumes that Smith isn't cuttung it or LTI.

8 games into the season is way to early to talk about TDL adds. Let's lock up a spot 1st & then see who might be available @ the deadline.

BTW, Buffalo is tied for 3rd in the Atlantic.

33 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

8 games into the season is way to early to talk about TDL adds. Let's lock up a spot 1st & then see who might be available @ the deadline.

BTW, Buffalo is tied for 3rd in the Atlantic.

It's one of those things I think about from time to time.

Is it too early?  Sure.

Does BT do many trades that aren't discussed months in advance?  No.

I guess mentioning Buffalo is an observation of how crazy the season is so far. 

Yes, it is early and crazy.  

Some things are reassuring and seem to indicate the universe is balanced.

EDM looking up at the league.

Talk of generational players.

The next rookie sensation.

I can sleep at night due to those things.

BTW, Lehner's on the island in NY, right?

Hearing rumors of Nylander for Pesce has me thinking we should be interested in Pesce.  RHS RD.  Is what we wish Stone and Hamonic can be.  

What's going to get it done?  

They are doing well with Ferland and Hamilton so business relationship are good between our teams.  Plus we got the BP connection to his players in Carolina.  

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Hearing rumors of Nylander for Pesce has me thinking we should be interested in Pesce.  RHS RD.  Is what we wish Stone and Hamonic can be.  

They are doing well with Ferland and Hamilton so business relationship are good between our teams.  Plus we got the BP connection to his players in Carolina.  

If Carolina needs a puck mover, then Brodie + it is.

If they wanted a shutdown player, then it would have to be Hamonic.

That's just my feeling.

I think we are selling Hamonic short, based on two crappy seasons.

Brodie is probably worth more as a puckmover, but who knows what his value is today.

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I would have to think that conversation has been had. It would cost us Tkachuk for Pesce. Quit dreaming LOL

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I would have to think that conversation has been had. It would cost us Tkachuk for Pesce. Quit dreaming LOL

Stop making sense bro.

Dream with me lol

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Stop making sense bro.

Dream with me lol

I would love to have Pesce over any of Brodie, Stone or Hamonic but it won't happen.

Pesce is in such a solid contract too so that removes any of the motivation to trade him for salary reasons give Dundon is cheap. 

Would probably have to be Tkachuk or Monahan so not worth it in the end.