Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,275 posts in this topic

Apparently Eklund (cough) is saying Florida is interested in Smith. Given Luongo and Reimer are signed 4 / 3 seasons Reimer would have to be coming back. Reimer has been bad this season, but he has historically been a decent 40 game goalie that could play tandem with Rittich to buy some time to sort out a long term plan. 

The term on the contract is a risk and its a short term play with the top end being average goal tending. But given the lack of other options and the play of Smith, could Treliving be desperate enough to make that move? 

I doubt it, and the source isn't reliable, but it's an option I guess. 

57 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Apparently Eklund (cough) is saying Florida is interested in Smith. Given Luongo and Reimer are signed 4 / 3 seasons Reimer would have to be coming back. Reimer has been bad this season, but he has historically been a decent 40 game goalie that could play tandem with Rittich to buy some time to sort out a long term plan. 

The term on the contract is a risk and its a short term play with the top end being average goal tending. But given the lack of other options and the play of Smith, could Treliving be desperate enough to make that move? 

Makes no sense for either team.  Reimer is same level as Smith but at least Smith's contract ends this season.  Neither team gets the better goalie but the Flames would be stuck with a longer contract.

9 hours ago, kehatch said:

We don't know what each side is necessarily asking for. But the market was set a long time ago. Larkin got 6.1 x 5. Pasternak got 6.6 x 6. Ehlers got 6x7. This should have been a straight forward contract but clearly one side is trying to side step market value. 

It could be the Leafs trying to play hardball to fit everyone in long term. But from the sounds of it Nylander has been the problem. The Leafs are supposedly in the 6 million range (which they should be) and Nylander (and his dad) are looking for 8. There is absolutely no way I would cave if I were the Leafs, even if this goes past December. Losing him for a season is far better then costing them 2 million they can't afford. Nylander isn't worth 8 even as a free agent. 

He may not be worth $8, but with Draisatl and others it is debatable.  The other contracts you mentioned are how many years old?  The Cap has gone up, plus the Leafs shot themselves in the foot by paying $11mm for Tavares.  It is the Leafs' fault.

20 hours ago, kehatch said:

No, no, no, no no.  Why would you even consider a 3/4 year commitment to an average at best goalie?  Smith will come around.  If not it'll be either Rinne or Bobrovsky in a deal.

EDIT: Scratch Rinne, he just signed a 2yr extension at $5mm per, more or less.

5 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

No, no, no, no no.  Why would you even consider a 3/4 year commitment to an average at best goalie?  Smith will come around.  If not it'll be either Rinne or Bobrovsky in a deal.

If Schneider comes back hot, there is a possibility that Kinkaid becomes available. At worst he's a 1a/1b goalie, but he's done pretty good to the point of pushing Schneider for that full on starter role last year. And his stats this year are pretty solid (5-3-1 in 9 games). I imagine it would probably be Smith+ mid pick or c/b prospect the other way though.

28 minutes ago, Khrox said:

If Schneider comes back hot, there is a possibility that Kinkaid becomes available. At worst he's a 1a/1b goalie, but he's done pretty good to the point of pushing Schneider for that full on starter role last year. And his stats this year are pretty solid (5-3-1 in 9 games). I imagine it would probably be Smith+ mid pick or c/b prospect the other way though.

Yeah, or maybe Schneider himself?  There are a few options, but really, with this crowd, would they accept anyone who isn't Vezina-level caliber?

I would take either Kinkaid or Schneider.  Both have been pretty solid (although Schneider is trending down a bit).

4 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Yeah, or maybe Schneider himself?  There are a few options, but really, with this crowd, would they accept anyone who isn't Vezina-level caliber?

Wouldn't be a fan Schneider but that's more because he's managed to get injured like 3 of the last 4 years, and still has 4 years left on contract (3 after this). Though the acquisition cost would probably be lower than Kinkaid

6 hours ago, cccsberg said:

He may not be worth $8, but with Draisatl and others it is debatable.  The other contracts you mentioned are how many years old?  The Cap has gone up, plus the Leafs shot themselves in the foot by paying $11mm for Tavares.  It is the Leafs' fault.

Those comparables were all drafted the same season and are on contracts starting the season. Nylander hasn't put up the numbers Draisaitl has, but it seems like that is who he is using as a comparable. Hence the problem. 

2 hours ago, kehatch said:

Those comparables were all drafted the same season and are on contracts starting the season. Nylander hasn't put up the numbers Draisaitl has, but it seems like that is who he is using as a comparable. Hence the problem. 

In their first 2 full seasons, their numbers are nearly identical.

1 person likes this

18 hours ago, kehatch said:

We don't know what each side is necessarily asking for. But the market was set a long time ago. Larkin got 6.1 x 5. Pasternak got 6.6 x 6. Ehlers got 6x7. This should have been a straight forward contract but clearly one side is trying to side step market value. 

It could be the Leafs trying to play hardball to fit everyone in long term. But from the sounds of it Nylander has been the problem. The Leafs are supposedly in the 6 million range (which they should be) and Nylander (and his dad) are looking for 8. There is absolutely no way I would cave if I were the Leafs, even if this goes past December. Losing him for a season is far better then costing them 2 million they can't afford. Nylander isn't worth 8 even as a free agent. 

It could be the Draisaitl contract they’re comparing to, and the leafs compare to the players you’ve mentioned. 

I think the idea behind it is, why does McDavid or Matthews deserve this much while my % of points is this in comparison, therefore I deserve such and such... which was how Draisitl got his contract. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, cccsberg said:

I am of that opinion that this crowd would only accept Vezina caliber as well. I think league average goalies die in this market, or would at least. Numbers suggest the goalies are at fault, but my belief is it is a team game and it is the whole team’s reason for our goalies’ poor numbers.

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, kehatch said:

I say no to Ho-Sang. These things rarely workout in the teams favor. The exception might be guys (like Kane) that have had a lot of success but had their careers derailed by the financial part of that success. 

I don't want him on my NHL team or my AHL team. To many issues and not enough upside. 

Assuming you mean Evander Sportsnet reported he's had another lawsuit filed against him. Apparently he offered an ex girlfriend $3 million to have an abortion.

8 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Assuming you mean Evander Sportsnet reported he's had another lawsuit filed against him. Apparently he offered an ex girlfriend $3 million to have an abortion.

He talked the same women into an abortion not once, not twice but three times! Now she wants money? Trouble follows this guy everywhere but she doesn't seem too smart either. Maybe these two should get married and have children, LOL. Pretty sure he was referring to Patrick Kane though.

I was referring to Evander. I can't speek for his character or off ice scandals, but on the ice he turned it around. I am not suggesting the Flames should have targeted him though. 

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

In their first 2 full seasons, their numbers are nearly identical.

Ok, I had thought they started last season.  Then the problem is Toronto’s hierarchy of talent and Nylander not wanting to get left behind.  Definitely a problem signing Tavares for $11mm, when arguably both Mathews and Marner and? Nylander could all end up with better stats and all needing contracts this year or next.  

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

It's illegal to offer money for an abortion?

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Ok, I had thought they started last season.  Then the problem is Toronto’s hierarchy of talent and Nylander not wanting to get left behind.  Definitely a problem signing Tavares for $11mm, when arguably both Mathews and Marner and? Nylander could all end up with better stats and all needing contracts this year or next.  

I agree.

The Tavares signing isn't over yet.

12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I agree.

The Tavares signing isn't over yet.

They can't sign everyone who comes close to 20 goals 6 or 7M at every turn either. Nylander should be accepting of something in the 5m level, his camp shouldn't be expecting the Leafs to follow the stupidity of EDM. Once any team gets 2 players making 10M plus look at the problems they have icing an overall talented team. This is where I appreciate the job BT has done so far here.

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

They can't sign everyone who comes close to 20 goals 6 or 7M at every turn either. Nylander should be accepting of something in the 5m level, his camp shouldn't be expecting the Leafs to follow the stupidity of EDM. Once any team gets 2 players making 10M plus look at the problems they have icing an overall talented team. This is where I appreciate the job BT has done so far here.

I was going to point out Chicago and Washington having success, but in their respective cup winning years only Ovie was making 10 mil.  Fun fact: There are 9 players making 10+ this season, the highest being Jamie Benn @ 13mil.

Edit: For whichever reason nhlnumbers.com doesnt list players such as Tavares, Price, McDavid, etc so that number of 10+ players is actually 14.

So take my post with a grain of salt.

7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I was going to point out Chicago and Washington having success, but in their respective cup winning years only Ovie was making 10 mil.  Fun fact: There are 9 players making 10+ this season, the highest being Jamie Benn @ 13mil.

When you consider cap inflation Pittsburgh is basically on that list. Washington is basically there as well. I don't think the Tavares signing was a big mistake. They will move Kadri and free up his salary and that makes room for Matthews. The Marleau one probably was a mistake as they will want his cap to pay Marner. But Toronto is okay. It's not just what you spend, it's who you spend it on. If you want an example of a team in trouble look at LA. 

Calgary is in good shape capwise as long as Neal starts putting up numbers and Giordano doesn't fall off a cliff. Hopefully we don't have to pay Tkachuk too much that it throws things out of balance. Overall are cap situation is okay. 

This offseason 7 contracts in Calgary and 14 in Stockton will be up. Bennet, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Foo, and the goalie situation will be the main focus I'm guessing.  The next off season will be a big shake up for the D core.

Let’s remember with the agreement on gambling and the NHL the players are going to get some of that. maybe not next year but I expect salaries to rise substantially once betting is established.

I am assuming that Ehliz is on his way back to Germany. He has only played in 4 games for Stockton.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

When you consider cap inflation Pittsburgh is basically on that list. Washington is basically there as well. I don't think the Tavares signing was a big mistake. They will move Kadri and free up his salary and that makes room for Matthews. The Marleau one probably was a mistake as they will want his cap to pay Marner. But Toronto is okay. It's not just what you spend, it's who you spend it on. If you want an example of a team in trouble look at LA. 

Calgary is in good shape capwise as long as Neal starts putting up numbers and Giordano doesn't fall off a cliff. Hopefully we don't have to pay Tkachuk too much that it throws things out of balance. Overall are cap situation is okay. 

Toronto's issues are paying all those forwards big dollar contracts and not having a good defense.  Next year will be tough to fill up the core without overpaying.  Gardiner will get a big raise once they re-sign him.  Marner, Kapanen, Nylander, Levo, Lindholm, Johnson....Some work to keep those salaries affordable, not so much with the lesser RFA's.  

Tkachuk will command a big paycheck.  Gio's deal is not a great baseline anymore.  Signed too long ago.  

We will need to figure out what Bennett is, where we go for a starter, and what to do with Hamonic/Brodie, since thy have one year remaining after this.