Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,424 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Toronto's issues are paying all those forwards big dollar contracts and not having a good defense.  Next year will be tough to fill up the core without overpaying.  Gardiner will get a big raise once they re-sign him.  Marner, Kapanen, Nylander, Levo, Lindholm, Johnson....Some work to keep those salaries affordable, not so much with the lesser RFA's.  

Tkachuk will command a big paycheck.  Gio's deal is not a great baseline anymore.  Signed too long ago.  

We will need to figure out what Bennett is, where we go for a starter, and what to do with Hamonic/Brodie, since thy have one year remaining after this.

My bet is Bennett will need to sign a Backlund kind of bridge deal. Not sure what that looks like in today’s NHL, I’d say about between 2-3mil on a 1-2 year show me deal. Possibly on the lower scale.

52 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

My bet is Bennett will need to sign a Backlund kind of bridge deal. Not sure what that looks like in today’s NHL, I’d say about between 2-3mil on a 1-2 year show me deal. Possibly on the lower scale.

Depends where his production ends up this season, hard to pre-determine now.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

It's funny, Burke talked about him last night.  Suggested that he won;t ever be a 50 point guy, but will be a very good 30-40 point guy with good parts to hs game.  That's not a slight at all, but the expectations exceeded what he's become.  What you have to think about is whether that's what you need moving forward with this team or package him up in a trade for another piece.  Considering we don't have many players like that, his value is probably higher to the Flames than trading him.  An increase in production to say 40 points would bring up his value to around 3.  Similar results will only get him a minor raise.  Not really a bridge deal, just a short term one.

Not a trade suggestion, but Matt Donovan is on waivers today.  

LD that had decent AHL numbers.

Haven;t watched him play, so looking for any opinions.

A waiver claim would be relativey easy.

Don;t play until Wednesday.

Can do a paper transaction to make space, then waive Prout.

That assumes he is any good.  Even if we claimed him, we could still waive him later.

Unless NASH wanted him back, he could go the the AHL and help the D down there.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not a trade suggestion, but Matt Donovan is on waivers today.  

LD that had decent AHL numbers.

Haven;t watched him play, so looking for any opinions.

A waiver claim would be relativey easy.

Don;t play until Wednesday.

Can do a paper transaction to make space, then waive Prout.

That assumes he is any good.  Even if we claimed him, we could still waive him later.

Unless NASH wanted him back, he could go the the AHL and help the D down there.

It is my understanding:

When you claim a player off waivers you have to keep him on your NHL roster. (I think for 30 days)

You can't just send him down if he doesn't work out.

If you want to put him through waivers again he has to be offered back to the club you claimed him from first.

7 hours ago, MAC331 said:

They can't sign everyone who comes close to 20 goals 6 or 7M at every turn either. Nylander should be accepting of something in the 5m level, his camp shouldn't be expecting the Leafs to follow the stupidity of EDM. Once any team gets 2 players making 10M plus look at the problems they have icing an overall talented team. This is where I appreciate the job BT has done so far here.

You can't blame Nylander. He wants to get paid and he's likely in the right. The league has moved on from big contracts from "proven" players to "potential".

If you think Nylander should sign for $5mil per, I'd say he should on a 2 year. No way should he sign for 5 on anything longer. Not even maybe.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

It is my understanding:

When you claim a player off waivers you have to keep him on your NHL roster. (I think for 30 days)

You can't just send him down if he doesn't work out.

If you want to put him through waivers again he has to be offered back to the club you claimed him from first.

Here's a recent example.

October 1st - Pontus Aberg claimed on waivers by Anaheim from EDM

October 7th - Aberg placed on waiver by Anaheim

October 8th - Aberg clears waivers

October 9th - assigned to AHL

October 20th - Aberg recalled from AHL

I was surprised at the time because there didn;t seem to be any thing from EDM about it.  Perhaps EDM only had the ability to reclaim Aberg regardless of waiver priority.

At the time, they had to assign Bear to the AHL because they had too many players for the trip, even if he traveled to Europe (IIRC) with them.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You can't blame Nylander. He wants to get paid and he's likely in the right. The league has moved on from big contracts from "proven" players to "potential".

If you think Nylander should sign for $5mil per, I'd say he should on a 2 year. No way should he sign for 5 on anything longer. Not even maybe.

If the Leafs are trying to get him for 5 you are correct. But there aren't any reports of that. From the sounds of Nylander (and his dad) are going for Draisaitl money while the Leafs are looking in the 6 million range. 

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

If the Leafs are trying to get him for 5 you are correct. But there aren't any reports of that. From the sounds of Nylander (and his dad) are going for Draisaitl money while the Leafs are looking in the 6 million range. 

I think where this comes down is if we assume that Matthews gets $11m-12m and Marner gets $8m is Matthews $5m-6m better than Nylander and is Marner $2m better? If I am the Leafs I am moving Nylander for a defenseman, especially if the rumors of Pesce being available from Carolina are true.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Yeah I know.

I'll be shocked if it's more than a 2 yr at this point.

Let's see what Toronto's young SuperHero GM does now.

If Tkachuk keeps hanging out in the top 10 of league scoring that number goes up a lot. Not too many players have the package of skills that he has.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

If Tkachuk keeps hanging out in the top 10 of league scoring that number goes up a lot. Not too many players have the package of skills that he has.

7x7 would've been nice this past offseason.

But no.

Nylander's the guinea pig.

The NHLPA's poster boy.

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

7x7 would've been nice this past offseason.

But no.

Nylander's the guinea pig.

The NHLPA's poster boy.

If we are going 7+, I hope that BT can get him signed to 8 years.

Gio's cap means nothing today.

Get Young Matty signed before he explodes into a 2.0 p/gp player.

Just kidding.  Even at 1.0 p/gp, that still rare air.  Not every player in the NHL gets 22 minutes a night, gets the last 30 seconds of PK's, last minute when another team pulls the goalie, and OT.

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I don't think we know what kind of player Tkachuk is yet. We do know he is a pest, has a high hockey IQ, and that he is strong defensively. But what is his ceiling offensively? He has progressed each season and is currently at a PPG. Can he keep that up? 

He is our best chance of finding a legitimate superstar. If he keeps up this level of production while playing defensive minutes and bringing his various skills to the table then he might be Iginla like in his importance to the team and he will be paid accordingly. But if he drops back to a 60 point forward then I expect he will get a similar contract to Monahan. 

Since we are talking about trades somewhat, what do you think about targeting a goalie getting outplayed by his backup?

Rask in BOS is not getting the wins as much as Halak.

Even though he's struggled, his number are better than Smith.

2 years remaining at $7m, while they have Halak for another year.

Maybe they would like to move on from him and only have a goalie that's signed for this year, look at FA in the summer.

Smith ($1m retained) + Stone for Rask ($1m retained).

They have injuries on RD.

Okay, so maybe need something other than Stone, but they may be happy to move on from Rask.

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

I don't think we know what kind of player Tkachuk is yet. We do know he is a pest, has a high hockey IQ, and that he is strong defensively. But what is his ceiling offensively? He has progressed each season and is currently at a PPG. Can he keep that up? 

Is there doubt he will?

For me there isn't, this is who he is. I think for many reasons (stacked junior team, defensive deployment, being sheltered etc) we have yet to fully appreciate just how good Tkachuk is. What is he is doing should be of no surprise and I see no reason why he isn't going to keep this up, he's just that good. 

It sucks they weren't able to extend him last offseason because I think they should have been trying to get him locked up then and I would have gladly paid him 7AVV to do it. Takes 2 sides so i'm not going to blame Treliving but if I were him I would be doing whatever I could do lock him up for 7-8 years and if it takes 7.5mill AAV to do it then do it. 

5 hours ago, kehatch said:

He is our best chance of finding a legitimate superstar. If he keeps up this level of production while playing defensive minutes and bringing his various skills to the table then he might be Iginla like in his importance to the team and he will be paid accordingly. But if he drops back to a 60 point forward then I expect he will get a similar contract to Monahan. 

He's starting to remind me of Blake Wheeler without taking the years to grow into the role. Wheeler is the better leader for now but Tkachuk looks like he'll grow into that role as well. If BT can lock him up for something like 7.5-7.8 x 8 now or this summer it'll be money well spent.

To think on draft day I didn't want this kid. :ph34r:

2 people like this

28 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

He's starting to remind me of Blake Wheeler without taking the years to grow into the role. Wheeler is the better leader for now but Tkachuk looks like he'll grow into that role as well. If BT can lock him up for something like 7.5-7.8 x 8 now or this summer it'll be money well spent.

To think on draft day I didn't want this kid. :ph34r:

I was surprised when he fell to us, and I didn't think it was a mistake, though I was worried about his familiy influence.  Seems that he lives, eats and breathes hockey, and he's become a player you don't want to have to play against.  Just hearing EDM fans trash him for everything he does leaves a warm spot in my heart.  Instead they have the guy that was ranked 3rd, who CBJ chose to pass on.  Maybe they knew something about Puljujarvi.

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I was surprised when he fell to us, and I didn't think it was a mistake, though I was worried about his familiy influence.  Seems that he lives, eats and breathes hockey, and he's become a player you don't want to have to play against.  Just hearing EDM fans trash him for everything he does leaves a warm spot in my heart.  Instead they have the guy that was ranked 3rd, who CBJ chose to pass on.  Maybe they knew something about Puljujarvi.

Isn’t their GM a fellow countryman to Puljujarvi? I think there was some inside intel there.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Isn’t their GM a fellow countryman to Puljujarvi? I think there was some inside intel there.

Not only a fellow countryman, but I believe they also had worked together on the national team.

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Knew about him, so he chose to go with Dubois.  

Don't get me wrong, I think if EDM decides to trade him, we should be looking at that.  

For some reason, I think he would fit here.  Valimaki could translate stuff for him and he would have somebody to talk to.

Stone for Puljujarvi straight up.  Done.  :) 

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Knew about him, so he chose to go with Dubois.  

Don't get me wrong, I think if EDM decides to trade him, we should be looking at that.  

For some reason, I think he would fit here.  Valimaki could translate stuff for him and he would have somebody to talk to.

Stone for Puljujarvi straight up.  Done.  :) 

Hahaha!

well, I think that they didn’t develop him properly. He needed a few years. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

That was the draft where everyone wanted to draft a Finn. I'm happy with the Jets getting Laine but would be surpised if Oilers & Canucks wouldn't love a do-over. Their loss turned into 1 heck of a gain for Calgary. :)

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

That was the draft where everyone wanted to draft a Finn. I'm happy with the Jets getting Laine but would be surpised if Oilers & Canucks wouldn't love a do-over. Their loss turned into 1 heck of a gain for Calgary. :)

The lottery is a dick move. I can't stand it.

Teams can fail for #1, it makes no difference.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

The lottery is a dick move. I can't stand it.

Teams can fail for #1, it makes no difference.

As it is 16 teams make it 15 dont. I'd love to see all 15 teams or even just bottom 8 in a true equal odds lottery. Or maybe the top 8 of the non-playoff teams.

I know theres probably some obivous drawbacks to that formula but I still stand by it.

1 person likes this