Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,239 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

You proclaim that it is "self-evident" Elias Pettersson is an elite player just a few games into the first year of his career, but Chucky has some proving to do? :lol:

That's right

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Yeah, it is just what I hear from sports commentators, and a lot on here believe that percentage of salary cap and points will dictate higher pay. I don’t want to pay that, and if it were up to me, but if he’s getting Draisaitl points or other comparables, it’s going to be the highest contract the Flames have ever paid. The new perimeter seems to be points and percentage of cap in relation to what the cap used to be. If it goes that way, he’ll get paid. 

I hope he takes a discount to enable the team to keep competitive. Although, UFA has been the Achilles of contracts since BT started and we have a couple of signings that haven’t been great so far. Early, so the hope is they turn it around. Some say they’ve done nothing and some say they provide more than we think.

Oh he likely will but I see Tkachuk simply as a good player with a lead by example type of guy. I don't like some of his antics and hope he matures one day but I realize if the points are there everyone will want to see him paid to stay. All this talk about getting Stone from OTT the reality is it would take Tkachuk from our side to land him. Useless chatter.

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Oh, I mean the Ottawa Stone as they were discussing trying to get him I think. So, getting brother Stone and having to sign Tkachuk to a contract north of 8M, is that feasible?

Definitely drop Stone whenever the opportunity arises!

I can't predict Ottawa. That club is seriously strange. Given the choice of Stone or Chucky, I will take Chucky every day and twice on Sunday. He has an unbelievably accurate, hard shot, can rough it up, and manages to get under people's skin like I have never seen before. He is one of the few players I would love to wear a mic.

I do think we are talking bank with Chucky (i.e. $ 8 mill per) unless they bridge him or he demands a lump sum in the event of a lockout.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

That's right

Chucky is just a good player. Not great, not elite, just good. Right, gotcha.

1 person likes this

I would think Tkachuk's camp wants 8, works just fine for me. Maybe BT goes for 6 or 7 years to widdle the term down to 7 ish, but I really want 8 years for him

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I would think Tkachuk's camp wants 8, works just fine for me. Maybe BT goes for 6 or 7 years to widdle the term down to 7 ish, but I really want 8 years for him

I think he is 20 or 21 right now. It would be nice to lock him up until he is almost 30. 

$8 million also works for me. You can throw Chucky out on any line and every player around him gets better. By contrast, Draisaitl can only seem to put up the numbers when beside McDavid. If memory serves, he is getting $8.5 million.

1 person likes this

The team I am really curious about is St. Louis, they are a team that is in desperate need of a shake up. I wonder if it would be worth the risk to try and acquire Jake Allen. Now I don't see Allen as a starter, but he did have his best seasons when he was pushing Brian Elliott for the number 1 job. So I could envision Allen and Rittich forming a solid tandem pushing each other for the number 1 job. The nice thing about Allen is that his contract is somewhat cost effective, compared to what we would pay on the open market.

If we could also manage to grab a Schenn or a Fabbri in the deal, all the better.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Yeah, it is just what I hear from sports commentators, and a lot on here believe that percentage of salary cap and points will dictate higher pay. I don’t want to pay that, and if it were up to me, but if he’s getting Draisaitl points or other comparables, it’s going to be the highest contract the Flames have ever paid. The new perimeter seems to be points and percentage of cap in relation to what the cap used to be. If it goes that way, he’ll get paid. 

I hope he takes a discount to enable the team to keep competitive. Although, UFA has been the Achilles of contracts since BT started and we have a couple of signings that haven’t been great so far. Early, so the hope is they turn it around. Some say they’ve done nothing and some say they provide more than we think.

The deals signed by Monahan and Gaudreau are things of the past.  The cap has gone up by a lot, Draisaitl signed for $8.5m, McDavid for $12.5m, Tavares for 11.

Even if he was only worth $5m back when those guys signed, he would be mid 6's by now based on cap.  I would debate he's worth less.  Play eother of those guys on a shut down line and they would do no better.

You hate to overpay, but he will get as much as Nylander.  Close to Marner.  

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

The team I am really curious about is St. Louis, they are a team that is in desperate need of a shake up. I wonder if it would be worth the risk to try and acquire Jake Allen. Now I don't see Allen as a starter, but he did have his best seasons when he was pushing Brian Elliott for the number 1 job. So I could envision Allen and Rittich forming a solid tandem pushing each other for the number 1 job. The nice thing about Allen is that his contract is somewhat cost effective, compared to what we would pay on the open market.

If we could also manage to grab a Schenn or a Fabbri in the deal, all the better.

Im not an Allen guy but rumours are Tarasenko could be available. I'd be all over that. 

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Im not an Allen guy but rumours are Tarasenko could be available. I'd be all over that. 

Most likely Tarasenko starts and ends with St. Louis boy Tkachuk

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Most likely Tarasenko starts and ends with St. Louis boy Tkachuk

No chance.  I would argue Tkachuk is worth more than tarasenko. St. Louis wouldn't get close to a Tkachuk level talent. 

Hes in his last year before his NTC kicks in so Blues may have some reason to move him. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

No chance.  I would argue Tkachuk is worth more than tarasenko. St. Louis wouldn't get close to a Tkachuk level talent. 

Hes in his last year before his NTC kicks in so Blues may have some reason to move him. 

They ask for Johnny or Tkachuk, doesn’t mean we do it though. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I would think Tarasenko would cost us Dube and one of Valimaki or Andersson plus a pick.

Just now, JTech780 said:

I would think Tarasenko would cost us Dube and one of Valimaki or Andersson plus a pick.

I was thinking along the same lines. 

Salary would have to be included for Flames too. Assumes he's made available though which is a big if. 

21 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I was thinking along the same lines. 

Salary would have to be included for Flames too. Assumes he's made available though which is a big if. 

I heard that there are problems there. I thought they said he is not an easy person to deal with. Could just be gossip. Imagine him and Johnny on a PP.

Tarasenko is one of my favourite players to watch. His release is exceptional. I don’t think we match up with STL though as they aren’t gonna want to rebuild, they will likely want a lateral move for a Johnny or Tkachuk as I mentioned. The guys lowest goal scoring season in the last 4 is 33. 

That being said, I think Tarasenko is very much like Kessel. He’s not a guy you build around but he’s a guy you build your team with. 

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Substitute Kylington, who is having a great AHL season while playing with AOM, to replace some of the lost offense on their backend.

Throw in Stone as help for their depth this season

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'm not too high on Allen either.  I think he's very overrated and never proved to be a great starter once given the reigns.  

Tarasenko would be interesting but at almost the same price... i keep going back to Mark Stone.  Stone doesn't have the shot but plays a 200 foot game.  Size, fights, makes plays, etc.  Tarasenko has one of the best shots in the game but man, there's not much else there.  If no one is setting him up, then he's not a guy who can make something happen out of nothing.  

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not too high on Allen either.  I think he's very overrated and never proved to be a great starter once given the reigns.  

Tarasenko would be interesting but at almost the same price... i keep going back to Mark Stone.  Stone doesn't have the shot but plays a 200 foot game.  Size, fights, makes plays, etc.  Tarasenko has one of the best shots in the game but man, there's not much else there.  If no one is setting him up, then he's not a guy who can make something happen out of nothing.  

To be fair Tarasenko has 3 NHL fights and Stone has 1. Tarasenko is one of the most dynamic scorers in the game and he can absolutely create his own shots. The biggest difference here is that Tarasenko has 4 years after this one where Stone is a UFA. I really like Stone, but giving up the same amount of assets for a pending UFA isn't good asset management.

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

To be fair Tarasenko has 3 NHL fights and Stone has 1. Tarasenko is one of the most dynamic scorers in the game and he can absolutely create his own shots. The biggest difference here is that Tarasenko has 4 years after this one where Stone is a UFA. I really like Stone, but giving up the same amount of assets for a pending UFA isn't good asset management.

Oh I didn't mean trade for Stone. I meant sign him as UFA.

14 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Oh he likely will but I see Tkachuk simply as a good player with a lead by example type of guy. I don't like some of his antics and hope he matures one day but I realize if the points are there everyone will want to see him paid to stay. All this talk about getting Stone from OTT the reality is it would take Tkachuk from our side to land him. Useless chatter.

14 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Stone could walk-on as a UFA next Summer for nothing.  If he decides to go that route and Ottawa is out of the playoff picture come TDL, you really believe Ottawa will not try and recoup some assets?

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Substitute Kylington, who is having a great AHL season while playing with AOM, to replace some of the lost offense on their backend.

Throw in Stone as help for their depth this season

How about Tarasenko&Allen for Neal&Kylington&Smith?

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'd definitely take Mark Stone over Tarasenko, though both would be good too.  

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think you are underrating Tarasenko a fair bit here. I've give you Stone is the better two way guy, but you make it seem like all Tarasenko does is score goals and that isn't the case. He's much more well rounded than that. 

Big difference for me is it's probably going to cost close to 9 million to get Stone. Tarasenko is already locked up at 7.5 for the next 4 years. I like that cost certainty. 

Neither is likely but I prefer the cost certainty and shot Tarasenko has. While it seems easy for the Flames to score goals this year I still feel they could use a pure shooter like Tarasenko. But giving up assets for him via just signing Stone as a UFA is a valid debate. Of course we have to see is Stone even becomes a UFA as I would suggest it's probably unlikely he will. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think you are underrating Tarasenko a fair bit here. I've give you Stone is the better two way guy, but you make it seem like all Tarasenko does is score goals and that isn't the case. He's much more well rounded than that. 

Big difference for me is it's probably going to cost close to 9 million to get Stone. Tarasenko is already locked up at 7.5 for the next 4 years. I like that cost certainty. 

Neither is likely but I prefer the cost certainty and shot Tarasenko has. While it seems easy for the Flames to score goals this year I still feel they could use a pure shooter like Tarasenko. But giving up assets for him via just signing Stone as a UFA is a valid debate. Of course we have to see is Stone even becomes a UFA as I would suggest it's probably unlikely he will. 

Anytime you sign Stone as a UFA its a no-brainer, notwithstanding Cap which you might have to massage to fit.  I'd suggest he would be comparable to Tkachuk, likely in the $7.5-$8mm range long term (5-7 years).  

Tarasenko is also a no-brainer.  What would you give up for him?  I think we have lots of valuable assets so it'd depend on which direction STL is heading.  I'd prefer to focus giving up prospects because we have a logjam at the moment and some very nice guys coming up.  We also have pretty strong line-up so a 2:1 deal would also work.  Forget a 1:1 deal for like a Tkachuk.... why bother?

As far as Salary Cap goes the league is heading to 3 major events in the short term likely to have a big impact on our Cap situation.  The first, obvious one is the upcoming Expansion Draft where you likely could deal/lose an attractive medium-high priced player, e.g. Neal.  The second is the recent advent and embrace by the NHL of sports gambling.  This alone could easily shoot the Cap into the stratosphere in the very near term.  The third is the ongoing CBA negotiations, currently happening in the background but which could rear its head very quickly and if like previous ones dampen/reverse current/future contracts.  

1 person likes this