Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,272 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Anytime you sign Stone as a UFA its a no-brainer, notwithstanding Cap which you might have to massage to fit.  I'd suggest he would be comparable to Tkachuk, likely in the $7.5-$8mm range long term (5-7 years).  

Tarasenko is also a no-brainer.  What would you give up for him?  I think we have lots of valuable assets so it'd depend on which direction STL is heading.  I'd prefer to focus giving up prospects because we have a logjam at the moment and some very nice guys coming up.  We also have pretty strong line-up so a 2:1 deal would also work.  Forget a 1:1 deal for like a Tkachuk.... why bother?

Matt Duchene is about to sign a deal between 8-9MIllion AAV according to most reports. Why is Stone going to sign for less? He signed a 1 year deal for 7.35mill and is off to a great start this year so I think him only getting a 200-700K raise with how he is playing and being int he prime of his career is unlikely. I don't think there is anyway he gets less than 8Mill AAV, I think it's going to be closer to 9mill personally. As I said, for sure I would have interest in Stone as UFA but i'm skepitcal he gets there plus id' be curious how the Flames would plan on losing enough money that could warrant being able to sign Stone. 

I think the conversation around Tarasenko would be 1 of Valamki or Andersson, Prospect and a pick with the Flames needing to include a contract and depending what contract would change some of the pieces. As I said above right now I would argue Tkachuk has more value then Tarasenko so no there is no way I would trade Tkachuk for him.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Matt Duchene is about to sign a deal between 8-9MIllion AAV according to most reports. Why is Stone going to sign for less? He signed a 1 year deal for 7.35mill and is off to a great start this year so I think him only getting a 200-700K raise with how he is playing and being int he prime of his career is unlikely. I don't think there is anyway he gets less than 8Mill AAV, I think it's going to be closer to 9mill personally. As I said, for sure I would have interest in Stone as UFA but i'm skepitcal he gets there plus id' be curious how the Flames would plan on losing enough money that could warrant being able to sign Stone. 

I think the conversation around Tarasenko would be 1 of Valamki or Andersson, Prospect and a pick with the Flames needing to include a contract and depending what contract would change some of the pieces. As I said above right now I would argue Tkachuk has more value then Tarasenko so no there is no way I would trade Tkachuk for him.

I think you are bang on with Stone.  Signing him as a UFA is unlikely.  No money for one thing.  No chance he doesn't sign or get traded and sign before then.  $8m is the floor for him long term.  Ottawa has messed up that contract already.  They needed to sign him when he came off the big scoring year.  They didn't and lowballed him.  

Tank is a more likely conversation to have.  Would need to include Brodie to offset cost.  Perhaps Dube and a 1st in 2020.  Just speculating.  JBow is almost aged out completely and they need a guy at that level now.  Maybe a Janko over Dube.  Maybe Bennett.  

4 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Stone could walk-on as a UFA next Summer for nothing.  If he decides to go that route and Ottawa is out of the playoff picture come TDL, you really believe Ottawa will not try and recoup some assets?

Did I say somewhere that OTT would not try to trade Stone ? 

I like our group of players and not sure I would be looking for a trade at all.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Does Nylander for Tarasenko make sense for those two teams?

I don't see it. Feels like that's a trade for the sake of a trade type of move. Tarasenko is the better player IMO so small edge to Toronto but at the same time do they really need more goals or do they need to get better at stopping them?

I don't get the angle from either side, unless like I said they are just determined to "shake it up". 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I don't see it. Feels like that's a trade for the sake of a trade type of move. Tarasenko is the better player IMO so small edge to Toronto but at the same time do they really need more goals or do they need to get better at stopping them?

I don't get the angle from either side, unless like I said they are just determined to "shake it up". 

Maybe though.

Tarasenko unhappy with things in St.Louis.  Nylander bridges burned with Leafs in negotiations.  Both teams get a high caliber winger back.  Both players get a fresh start.  Nylander is younger and the sky is the limit.  Tarasenko is the better player right now and gives the Leafs contract stability.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe though.

Tarasenko unhappy with things in St.Louis.  Nylander bridges burned with Leafs in negotiations.  Both teams get a high caliber winger back.  Both players get a fresh start.  Nylander is younger and the sky is the limit.  Tarasenko is the better player right now and gives the Leafs contract stability.

I get where your coming from I just don't see it. I think both teams could make a smarter move and not just a shake up trade but address deficiencies on their roster. 

Thats just me. Maybe they see it differently. 

I'm just curious, had we traded for Hoffman, would we still have signed Neal?  Or what was the timing of the two things happening again?

55 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm just curious, had we traded for Hoffman, would we still have signed Neal?  Or what was the timing of the two things happening again?

If we traded for Hoffman, who would we not have? I was excited about the Neal signing, but so far unimpressed. He looks unimpressed though as well. Situations aren’t going his way, but he’s not doing what he needs to to get there.

i like the Lindholm deal. He’s been a breath of fresh air. If we trade for Hoffman, do we trade for Neal. I don’t remember which came first so could be yes.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

If we traded for Hoffman, who would we not have? I was excited about the Neal signing, but so far unimpressed. He looks unimpressed though as well. Situations aren’t going his way, but he’s not doing what he needs to to get there.

i like the Lindholm deal. He’s been a breath of fresh air. If we trade for Hoffman, do we trade for Neal. I don’t remember which came first so could be yes.

Glad to see Ferland doing well in NC.

Miss his functional toughness and joy for playing the game.

Would have been playing on the line with Janko and Neal, the way our depth is now.

Doubt he would be close to the scoring level he is there.

Aho will help him get paid.

Like Ryan, Neal is taking a lot of abuse here.  Some deserved.

Is it safe to assume that someone having a 6% drop in shooting percent will stay that way for a season?

Figure out what you have.  Don't just think he belongs on the 3rd line with Ryan and whomever.

We signed him to a long term deal for a reason.  Use him properly. 

I’m not sure what to do about Neal. First line isn’t being touched and Bennett has been a welcome addition to the 2nd so far. 3rd lines win championships and if we can get Neal to be productive on that 3rd line, we have a lethal forward group 

Kessel did well playing on Pitts third line for a few seasons.  No reason a third liner can’t put up 20 goals.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Hoffman was traded first then Neal signed. Given the cap hits are similar I would agree that had they traded for Hoffman they would not have been able to sign Neal. 

That being said, given what they said they were attracted to with Neal and it wasn't just scoring goals, I don't think they had an interest in Hoffman. 

10 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Kessel did well playing on Pitts third line for a few seasons.  No reason a third liner can’t put up 20 goals.

Ya good point.  3rd line still gets 15 to 18 minutes of ice time.  And Neal gets second unit PP.

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

If we traded for Hoffman, who would we not have? 

It costed Boedker so, maybe Frolik.  Frolik is good but you gotta trade him for Hoffman's scoring 7 days of the week.

I read somewhere (forgot to copy the link) that Pittsburgh maybe looking for a Veteran Goaltender to help while Murray is hurt and mentor him when he comes back, like Fluery did. Maybe get DeSmith and low round pick. Both DeSmith and Smith are UFA'S at the end of the season and it will help see where we stand goaltending wise. Can Gillies and Parson's come back from that horrendous start, do we need to look outside for a goalies again etc etc. We are not contenders yet but on our way there, I think this would help figure out goaltending for next year.

16 minutes ago, Dmac1103 said:

I read somewhere (forgot to copy the link) that Pittsburgh maybe looking for a Veteran Goaltender to help while Murray is hurt and mentor him when he comes back, like Fluery did. Maybe get DeSmith and low round pick. Both DeSmith and Smith are UFA'S at the end of the season and it will help see where we stand goaltending wise. Can Gillies and Parson's come back from that horrendous start, do we need to look outside for a goalies again etc etc. We are not contenders yet but on our way there, I think this would help figure out goaltending for next year.

But we also need a mentor for Rittich.

Unfortunately, Stone’s season could be in jeopardy. Stamkos went through this a few years back, and he was sidelined for a while.

I think this team is essentially set up front isn’t a multitude of options both on the roster and in stockton. I don’t see a real match for a goalie trade. Rittich has given #1 minutes which is great but to add some help for him you have to trade Smith which is unlikely at this point.

An area I can see a move would be for depth D, not in the immediate future but around the deadline. Injuries will happen and it would be nice to have an upgrade on Prout as a 7th D as Stones status for the season is up in the air. Maybe a move like a reunion with Engelland if Vegas is out of the mix. But aside from a minor tweak here or there I don’t see us as being major players in the trade market

Chicago just got fleeced on a trade with Arizona, Nick Schmaltz for Dylan Strome and Brendan Perlini. I wonder if there are any players that we can snag from Chicago.

CHI traded Nick Schmaltz to ARI for Perline and Strome.

A 3rd overall from the McDavid draft traded for a decent player.

Poor ARI, they could have had McDavid or Eichel.

Strome has been mismanged since drafted. 

Just now, JTech780 said:

Chicago just got fleeced on a trade with Arizona, Nick Schmaltz for Dylan Strome and Brendan Perlini. I wonder if there are any players that we can snag from Chicago.

I thought that Strome had more value than that, but what do I know.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

CHI fans seem to have a different opinion about Schmaltz.  Saying things like "sooft", "afraid to compete", gets called out by comentators, etc.  Can't say I've watched enough of him to form an opinion.  21 goals in his sophomore year is nice.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I thought that Strome had more value than that, but what do I know.

Strome can't skate and is super soft. He isn't a good enough skater to be a center in this league. Perlini is skilled but isn't anything better than a 3rd liner. Schmaltz put up 55 points last year, is skilled and is a good skater. 

On 2018-11-22 at 7:15 PM, The_People1 said:

I wonder what all you doubters are going to be saying come playoffs when Neal goes all Bennett and is tearing it up, while Smith is at the top of his game?