Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,271 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-senators-melnyk-scrambling-save-arena-deal/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Friedman is saying that the Blues are open for business and there is very few things they won't consider.

Tarasenko comes to mind right away.

I also would be on board with Schenn. Adding Schenn to center the 2nd line would add a lot of depth to our lineup. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Schenn-Neal

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Czarnik-Jankowski-Ryan

I would also be on board with Allen which I have mentioned before. 

The other name I would be curious about and have heard could be available in the past is Colton Parayko. The guy is huge, can skate, defend, be physical, is a RHS and is signed for 3 more years at $5.5m. As good as Brodie has been this year, I would really have to consider trading him if we could get Parayko in return.

Our projected cap is $11.7. You just subtracted $5.1 with the addition of Schenn. That leaves us $6.6 to sign Tkachuk, Bennett and two goaltenders. Care to elaborate?

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-senators-melnyk-scrambling-save-arena-deal/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Friedman is saying that the Blues are open for business and there is very few things they won't consider.

Tarasenko comes to mind right away.

I also would be on board with Schenn. Adding Schenn to center the 2nd line would add a lot of depth to our lineup. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Schenn-Neal

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Czarnik-Jankowski-Ryan

I would also be on board with Allen which I have mentioned before. 

The other name I would be curious about and have heard could be available in the past is Colton Parayko. The guy is huge, can skate, defend, be physical, is a RHS and is signed for 3 more years at $5.5m. As good as Brodie has been this year, I would really have to consider trading him if we could get Parayko in return.

Okay, so going by the adds, what are you trading?

Dube, Hathaway, and the D are the only ones not listed.

You could posibly get Allen for Smith and a prospect.

Maybe Tank for Bennett and a 1st.  Okay, maybe have to add there.

I don't think they would ever trade Schenn, certainly not for what we could offer.

Quick math:

JH 6.7 + Mony 6.3 + Tank 7.5

Tkachuk 7 + Lindy 5 + Neal 5.5

Janko 1.7 + Backs 5.5 + Frolik 4.5

Czarnik 1.1 + Ryan 3.1 + Hath .7

Defense 22.6m

Goalies 6m

total = 82.9m

12F and 7D and 2g.

A little tight.

EDIT - forgot Brouwer buyout + Stone buyout.  Add 3.1m

30 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Nielsen for Klimchuk. Maybe some LH depth given the departure of Kulak earlier and Valimaki out for a while. 

I really don't get this trade. I know that we are lacking some AHL depth, but I thought we would do better than this guy for Klimchuk. The Iginla trade has been nothing but one giant slap in the face.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I really don't get this trade. I know that we are lacking some AHL depth, but I thought we would do better than this guy for Klimchuk. The Iginla trade has been nothing but one giant slap in the face.

They have dismantled every piece from th Feaster trades.

What's the story on this guy?  

A LHS D with 26 points in 65 AHL games + 144 PIM.

The Leafs prospect report doesn;t exactly say anything good about him.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They have dismantled every piece from th Feaster trades.

What's the story on this guy?  

A LHS D with 26 points in 65 AHL games + 144 PIM.

The Leafs prospect report doesn;t exactly say anything good about him.

It sounds like he has been a healthy scratch in all but 8 games in the AHL this year. He is big and can be physical but it sounds like he has trouble being consistent with the physical play. The book is that he has offensive abilities but that he isn't a very good skater and isn't great in his own end. Others are saying that he was buried behind better talent on the Marlies and just needs a fresh start.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It sounds like he has been a healthy scratch in all but 8 games in the AHL this year. He is big and can be physical but it sounds like he has trouble being consistent with the physical play. The book is that he has offensive abilities but that he isn't a very good skater and isn't great in his own end. Others are saying that he was buried behind better talent on the Marlies and just needs a fresh start.

I guess it doesn;t matter.  They looked at Klimmer in pre-seaspn and must have decided he wasn;t worth the effort.

We've had trouble with players from that draft year.  Only Monahan remains.  We do have Lindholm I guess.

Klimmer has fallen down the ranks in the AHL as it is.

I guess we need some defense "prospects" too.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

And now it sounds like the Canucks are touting the patient route. The media here in Vancouver were making fun of it last week as why fire linden then?

i don’t get why you wouldn’t build from within and build for long term success. 

I think the Canucks are losing so they have to say that.  It's a PR move.  Behind the scenes, they are impatient.  They want to be a playoff team this year (but clearly they are still too young).

In terms of Philly, they need goaltending to save their season.  Elliott and Neuvirth are both out on IR and neither have really been good when healthy.  They can't afford to fall back further in the standings waiting for someone to emerge.  If they bring in a new GM and his mandate is to make the playoffs immediately, then they are expected to target a goalie right away.  Maybe Smith?  But i know we need Smith as well as insurance to Rittich.

Philly doesn't really have any young prospects other than Carter Hart.  No way they trade Nolan Patrick and Travis Sanheim.  Too much potential and still room to grow.  I don't know, Philly doesn't have a whole lot of bullets if they want to make some noise.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Its a trades thread. I was just responding to what I heard today. I like the majority of the make up of the team. 

There are only maybe 1-2 players I’d be thinking of. One of them we just signed and he could prove to be better. Ryan. 

I don't think BP has settled in on where best to use Ryan and it is hurting is play. Same for Neal and Czarnik IMO

Here is wild trade suggestion Toews C from CHI for Jankowski, Frolik and Stone.

I think Toews would look real good between Tkachuk and Neal for a line.

Bit sad to see Klimchuk go. He was a personal favorite who I don't think the Flames ever gave a real chance to as I don't get the sense Treliving liked him. I don't thikn Treliving likes players like Klimchuk in the bottom 6 so kinda of got foreced out without a shot which is disappointing for a 1st rounder but that does happen when you have a regime change. 

I get the deal becuase the Flames are basiclaly desperate for AHL D depth at this point especially with Valamaki looking like he's out a few weeks. Scouting report does not sound promising on Nielsen but at the same time getting a dman who has some offensive ability to him is pretty key for Stockton so again I can understand it. Hope Klimchuk does well and gets a shot. 

1 person likes this

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Bit sad to see Klimchuk go. He was a personal favorite who I don't think the Flames ever gave a real chance to as I don't get the sense Treliving liked him. I don't thikn Treliving likes players like Klimchuk in the bottom 6 so kinda of got foreced out without a shot which is disappointing for a 1st rounder but that does happen when you have a regime change. 

I get the deal becuase the Flames are basiclaly desperate for AHL D depth at this point especially with Valamaki looking like he's out a few weeks. Scouting report does not sound promising on Nielsen but at the same time getting a dman who has some offensive ability to him is pretty key for Stockton so again I can understand it. Hope Klimchuk does well and gets a shot. 

Klimchuk was one of the last cuts at camp.  He was close.  But at the end of the day, he's too vanilla.  Just average everything.  Not particularly fast, some grit but not too much, some offense but not enough, some D but nothing exceptional or tough to play against.  Just too bland a player.

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

BT said they looked at him during the draft, but TO snagged him.  They seem to believe that his struggles have reasons that can be fixed.  At the very least, he's a player that will get a true shot to show he's NHL material.  Klimmer never really did.  Then again, by this point he should have shown more at the AHL level to be truly a high level prospect.

Klimchuk was not doing well this season in the AHL.  He was behind Mangiapagne, Foo, Lazar, Graovac, Rychel, Quine, and a few others.  Maybe it’s just a bad season, but when you are behind that many guys and the odds of any of them becoming a flames regular are low, it makes sense to make the deal from a standpoint of what helps the farm team now.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Klimchuk was one of the last cuts at camp.  He was close.  But at the end of the day, he's too vanilla.  Just average everything.  Not particularly fast, some grit but not too much, some offense but not enough, some D but nothing exceptional or tough to play against.  Just too bland a player.

IIRC he got 1 game in the preseason with a roster that looked anything close to the NHL one and during the last 2 years 1 NHL game when IMO he showed more than other guys that did get call ups. I don't agree on the analysis of the player but to each their own. 

Like I said I understand the deal and it makes sense I just wish they would ahve given him more of a shot while they had him that's all. Not surprised he got moved, nor do I think it's a bad move. I think both players need a fresh start. 

J.S. Dea on waivers.

24 years old.

Cheap RHS center. 

50 points in the AHL in 70 games last year.

IIRC, we have one spot available right now (13F, 7 healthy D and 2G).

Would need to put Valimaki on IR.

Any interest?

17 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Our projected cap is $11.7. You just subtracted $5.1 with the addition of Schenn. That leaves us $6.6 to sign Tkachuk, Bennett and two goaltenders. Care to elaborate?

This team has a chance to do some damage this year, I know it sounds like poor planning, but you take your shot now and worry about next year next year. You can trade or buy out Stone, you can trade Frolik in the off season.

As much as I like Bennett and think he has been fantastic this year, if he is looking to cash in on his next contract you move him out, because you have Dube looking like he is going to be pushing for his roster spot anyways.

51 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This team has a chance to do some damage this year, I know it sounds like poor planning, but you take your shot now and worry about next year next year. You can trade or buy out Stone, you can trade Frolik in the off season.

As much as I like Bennett and think he has been fantastic this year, if he is looking to cash in on his next contract you move him out, because you have Dube looking like he is going to be pushing for his roster spot anyways.

To be honest, if we got Schenn, I would be moving out Backlund first.  We may take a hit in defensive play, but you have to cut areas where you could potentially save $$ and spend them in other areas.

To get both Schenn and Tarasenko, we would lose at the very least Bennett, Frolik and Backlund.

I'm not talking about trade values, just cap.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

To be honest, if we got Schenn, I would be moving out Backlund first.  We may take a hit in defensive play, but you have to cut areas where you could potentially save $$ and spend them in other areas.

To get both Schenn and Tarasenko, we would lose at the very least Bennett, Frolik and Backlund.

I'm not talking about trade values, just cap.

Basically what I am hoping for is to get an upgrade on Backlund at 2nd line center so we can slot Backs at 3rd line center where he probably belongs. I know we have Lindholm who can move to that position, but I would rather keep the 1st line intact as it has been clicking along pretty darn well.

Even if we did bring in Schenn I think I would keep Backlund. He is one of the best shut down centers in the league. Having Monahan, Schenn, Backlund and Jankowski down the middle would be lethal.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Basically what I am hoping for is to get an upgrade on Backlund at 2nd line center so we can slot Backs at 3rd line center where he probably belongs. I know we have Lindholm who can move to that position, but I would rather keep the 1st line intact as it has been clicking along pretty darn well.

Even if we did bring in Schenn I think I would keep Backlund. He is one of the best shut down centers in the league. Having Monahan, Schenn, Backlund and Jankowski down the middle would be lethal.

Go get Toews from CHI, either him or Schenn will cost you at a minimum Jankowski.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That upgrade over Backlund might actually be Jankowski.  We might already have that player.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That upgrade over Backlund might actually be Jankowski.  We might already have that player.

I like Jankowski and I have been rooting for the guy since we drafted him, but he hasn't shown any consistency since getting to the NHL. He needs to improve a lot before I would give him top 6 minutes.

52 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I like Jankowski and I have been rooting for the guy since we drafted him, but he hasn't shown any consistency since getting to the NHL. He needs to improve a lot before I would give him top 6 minutes.

Other than playing with Tkachuk, what has Backlund done this year?

Janko has 4 less points and 1 less goal.

And that's playing with lesser players less minutes.

Sure, Backlund faces the best lines at home, but on the road it's not the same story.

With our present team, we need Backlund.  If we traded for Schenn, then we could opt to replace him.

You don;t need a Backlund for your 3rd line.  Too expensive.  

Personally BT should not be allowed in the FA market... His signings have been boat anchors everytime, Brower to now Neal.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Personally BT should not be allowed in the FA market... His signings have been boat anchors everytime, Brower to now Neal.

I was worried about Neal, but I won't write him off as Brouwer 2.0 just yet.  We'll see where he's at by the end of the season.  If we can keep his numbers serviceable, maybe Seattle will take him in the expansion draft in 2020...

Neal's been playing fine the last 2 weeks. Way too early to write that off and the comparison to Brouwer is pretty lazy IMO. I get it, recency bias and all, but the story is quite different between the two. 

1 person likes this