Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,412 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he did say something along the lines that he wasn't going to worry about that during the season.  I doubt the agent makes any noise about it right now, though it would make sense while Tkachuk is over a p/gp and shooting above 20%.  Regardless, his bidy of work suggests that he's as dynamic as Nylander, and less sheltered.  Burke referred to him as one of Calgary's top 3 players, while he said Nylander was the Leaf's 5th or 6th best.  Meaning that you pay him as a top player on your own team.

I'm a bit annoyed with BT at the use of the Gio cap to set salaries.  JH was low-balled just to keep him below it.  As a result, we have JH for less years and he goes UFA at age 29.  Monahan will reach it at the same age, but a year later.  All well and good, but sometimes you need to recognize special talents and lock them down.  

Nylander is signed for an average of $7.5m, regardless of how they calculated his partial year.  I would be fine with that on a 8 year deal, but we can;t push it much past that.  W have some cap challenges, mostly due to waste or paying high.  Stone, Brouwer buyout, no starting goalie signed yet, Frolik for another year.  Nothing we can't fix, just challenging when every team has overpaid or excess players chewing up the cap. 

I would say our slightly over paid players will be easier to deal with based on the total job BT is doing with salaries. Also where was it ever said that Giordano's salary sets the ceiling forever ? Oh well way to early to be worried about where this is all going for Tkachuk. Hopefully we don't get another sportswriter's drama around the whole thing.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:45 PM, JTech780 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-senators-melnyk-scrambling-save-arena-deal/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Friedman is saying that the Blues are open for business and there is very few things they won't consider.

Tarasenko comes to mind right away.

I also would be on board with Schenn. Adding Schenn to center the 2nd line would add a lot of depth to our lineup. 

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Schenn-Neal

Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Czarnik-Jankowski-Ryan

I would also be on board with Allen which I have mentioned before. 

The other name I would be curious about and have heard could be available in the past is Colton Parayko. The guy is huge, can skate, defend, be physical, is a RHS and is signed for 3 more years at $5.5m. As good as Brodie has been this year, I would really have to consider trading him if we could get Parayko in return.

I don't think Schenn is an upgrade to Backs.. He would likely be slotted 3rd line center...

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I don't think Schenn is an upgrade to Backs.. He would likely be slotted 3rd line center...

I agree on schenn, but I do think this team is a 2nd line center and offensive 3rd liner away from being a legit contender.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

He is offensively.  Pretty consistent 20 goal scorer.  Down this year so far.

To get Schenn, you likely have to give up Backlund as it is.

Lateral trade; better offensively, worse defensievly.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:37 AM, travel_dude said:

I think he did say something along the lines that he wasn't going to worry about that during the season.  I doubt the agent makes any noise about it right now, though it would make sense while Tkachuk is over a p/gp and shooting above 20%.  Regardless, his bidy of work suggests that he's as dynamic as Nylander, and less sheltered.  Burke referred to him as one of Calgary's top 3 players, while he said Nylander was the Leaf's 5th or 6th best.  Meaning that you pay him as a top player on your own team.

I'm a bit annoyed with BT at the use of the Gio cap to set salaries.  JH was low-balled just to keep him below it.  As a result, we have JH for less years and he goes UFA at age 29.  Monahan will reach it at the same age, but a year later.  All well and good, but sometimes you need to recognize special talents and lock them down.  

Nylander is signed for an average of $7.5m, regardless of how they calculated his partial year.  I would be fine with that on a 8 year deal, but we can;t push it much past that.  W have some cap challenges, mostly due to waste or paying high.  Stone, Brouwer buyout, no starting goalie signed yet, Frolik for another year.  Nothing we can't fix, just challenging when every team has overpaid or excess players chewing up the cap. 

So now that all the hype centered around Nylander is settling down and everyones vioced their opinion on it and the upcoming FA's..............if Chucky tears it up for the rest of the year and his camp decides to be ridiculous in their asking price, what is the acceptable ceiling?  Obviously you want him here and happy as long as possible but at what cost? 

1 minute ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So now that all the hype centered around Nylander is settling down and everyones vioced their opinion on it and the upcoming FA's..............if Chucky tears it up for the rest of the year and his camp decides to be ridiculous in their asking price, what is the acceptable ceiling?  Obviously you want him here and happy as long as possible but at what cost? 

8158fc983144ef9fa51aede07ea12fab_origina

Love. 

1 person likes this

I’m prepared to give Tkachuk up to 8x8.

Wont really matter if it rubs Monahan and Johnny the wrong way as when they hit UFA, if they stay here they will probably get 10, given the way the cap has continuously risen

17 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’m prepared to give Tkachuk up to 8x8.

Wont really matter if it rubs Monahan and Johnny the wrong way as when they hit UFA, if they stay here they will probably get 10, given the way the cap has continuously risen

Agreed I think that is a pretty reasonable cap. Try and get him to accept something in the low 7s but I also have no problem with 8X8 either. He'll be worth it. 

Would be tough for me to see an argument that would warrant him getting more than 8, I just don't see the comps. 

On 11/30/2018 at 6:25 PM, stubblejumper1 said:

That's a fair point.  Neal doesn't hurt the team when he is on the ice.  His contract hurts the team because they need a player earning >$5MM/year to provide offense.  

Brouwer didn't score, he prevented his linemates from scoring and he was not great defensively.  

However, I don't share your optimism that Neal will start contributing offensively this year or over the next four seasons.  

To be fair to you, I don't like the Neal contract and never did. It will be a bad contract it's just a matter of when. 

But I'm just willing to give it more time. Not all players fit right way, Hamonic for example, and patience can sometimes pay off. Because I think Neal is giving us the same type of game he did in previous stops (minus the points) I think the points will eventually come. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

To be fair to you, I don't like the Neal contract and never did. It will be a bad contract it's just a matter of when. 

But I'm just willing to give it more time. Not all players fit right way, Hamonic for example, and patience can sometimes pay off. Because I think Neal is giving us the same type of game he did in previous stops (minus the points) I think the points will eventually come. 

I support the player.  The contract is what it is.  I think Burkie said that sometimes you add a year just to get the player at the price you want to pay.  Gio was signed that way, and he wasn't even a UFA.  Worse case scenario is you buy out the final year.  Not good, but wither is pying a million per year more.  

I expect we'll see his game start to mesh when they play him consistentkly with the same type of player.

Curently playing with Mangiapane and Janko on the 3rd line.  

Currently playing on an ineffective 2nd PP unit.

Either you find players that effective on the 2nd unit or swap out players not adding much (looking at Backlund).

The top unit is getting better, so the chances of changing that are slim.

The 2nd unit has players that aren't scoring at 5v5, so maybe look there first. 

Really have to look at the personnel and see what''s missing (passing? QB?  hard point shot?).  

So I am looking ahead to the TDL as I think we will be in the buyer category. What would it cost to get Marcus Johansson from the Devils? The last Swede we picked up has been pretty good. Johansson can play all 3 forward positions, he has skill, he adds speed, his advanced stats look pretty good. To me he seems like a good fit for this team. The other guy on the Devils that would make some sense is Ben Lovejoy, mostly if Stone can't come back this season. Lovejoy is a RHS bottom pairing D, who is physical and keeps the game simple. I would bring him in as the 7th D.

Both players would be rentals, but I could see a fit for Johansson here and I think his value has taken a bit of a hit the last 2 seasons so he could be a candidate for a short term contract.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

So I am looking ahead to the TDL as I think we will be in the buyer category. What would it cost to get Marcus Johansson from the Devils? The last Swede we picked up has been pretty good. Johansson can play all 3 forward positions, he has skill, he adds speed, his advanced stats look pretty good. To me he seems like a good fit for this team. The other guy on the Devils that would make some sense is Ben Lovejoy, mostly if Stone can't come back this season. Lovejoy is a RHS bottom pairing D, who is physical and keeps the game simple. I would bring him in as the 7th D.

Both players would be rentals, but I could see a fit for Johansson here and I think his value has taken a bit of a hit the last 2 seasons so he could be a candidate for a short term contract.

Not a fan of Johansson. I mean, he is a good player, but I just don't like how he plays. Even in Washington (which is my second team, and I follow them a lot), he just struggled. Plus I feel like Johansson would cost more to acquire than he is worth.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I felt the Caps screwed up with him.

Not a great fit in NJ, so I would be interested.

Bennet might be the cost, which I would be okay with.

Don;t think he would cost as much as what we would want to pay Bennett if he ever got to be that level.

TDL is tough for me right now. As of today my motivation to do much would be small as I feel how this team "fits" has been critical to its success so I wouldn't want to tweak that. 

The 2nd issue is while I do like some of the prospects the club has, they are thin there with only so few trad able options. 3rd issue is your short on picks and IMO with how many high picks have gone out in recent years I don't think they can afford to put their 1st round pick in play this year. Maybe for a longer term piece, goalie perhaps, I could be persuaded but for a rental? No way, you can't do that. 

My mind may change pending how the rest of the season goes but I definitely don't see the flames aiming high at the TDL. Don't have the assets to. 

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

TDL is tough for me right now. As of today my motivation to do much would be small as I feel how this team "fits" has been critical to its success so I wouldn't want to tweak that. 

The 2nd issue is while I do like some of the prospects the club has, they are thin there with only so few trad able options. 3rd issue is your short on picks and IMO with how many high picks have gone out in recent years I don't think they can afford to put their 1st round pick in play this year. Maybe for a longer term piece, goalie perhaps, I could be persuaded but for a rental? No way, you can't do that. 

My mind may change pending how the rest of the season goes but I definitely don't see the flames aiming high at the TDL. Don't have the assets to. 

This is a very good group of players and BP has them playing well. I'm not sure why all these trade ideas are surfacing unless certain posters are obsessed with the trade world.

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

At the most, it would be trading a player that doesn't fit long term plans for a prospect or pending RFA/UFA that they have already scouted and like.  If you have a chance to pick up a real good goalie prospect for a pick, you have to seriously consider it.  There will be some teams that have signaled a rebuild that you can't ignore.  If there is a player that fits, you consider it.  Not at any cost, just consider and see if there is a trade fit.

If Gio is going to miss any games, I wonder if it would be worth claiming Xavier Ouellet. He is probably an upgrade on Prout.

Chicago is apparently shopping Manning and Rutta.

The Klimchuk trade was a start but this club definitely needs some more depth on D. Kylington has played ok but I would feel pretty nervous if it got to the point where there was multiple injuries in the top 4. 

That's what I would advocating shopping for between now and the TDL. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

If Gio is going to miss any games, I wonder if it would be worth claiming Xavier Ouellet. He is probably an upgrade on Prout.

Chicago is apparently shopping Manning and Rutta.

Ruuta, the guy that was considering signing in CGY.

Much like Panarin, he chose the Hawks.

Ouellet would be a low-risk claim.  Works or he doesn't work.

Ruuta seemed to be a decent enough player, just would not give up much for him.

Would certainly like to add a D even just as a 7. We will see how Prout does this weekend but it’s an issue that likely needs to be addressed. What do we have to give up though, our 3rd is likely what it would take for Lovejoy or Rutta.

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Would certainly like to add a D even just as a 7. We will see how Prout does this weekend but it’s an issue that likely needs to be addressed. What do we have to give up though, our 3rd is likely what it would take for Lovejoy or Rutta.

I don't see the need to be trading for 7th type defensemen, With Prout for the RS and Kylington for the LS we are fine and don't have any issue.

9 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I don't see the need to be trading for 7th type defensemen, With Prout for the RS and Kylington for the LS we are fine and don't have any issue.

This weekend will be a good test to see. As without Valimaki, Stone or Gio our depth is gonna be tested. If Prout plays great then there’s no need. But against CBJ he wasn’t great and if he gets burnt real bad by McDavid then maybe the depth D is an area that needs to be addressed 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This weekend will be a good test to see. As without Valimaki, Stone or Gio our depth is gonna be tested. If Prout plays great then there’s no need. But against CBJ he wasn’t great and if he gets burnt real bad by McDavid then maybe the depth D is an area that needs to be addressed 

First of all he shouldn't be out against McDavid and secondly you shouldn't expect any player that sits this long to step in and make 0 mistakes. You are right about the team being tested these next few games.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yes our depth is being tested, but making a move based on Prout isn't the smartest option. I mean the guy is like 9th on the depth chart. People panicking because their 9th D-Man isn't consistently good enough is like panicking because Lomberg plays. We know he's a spot NHL'er at best and not a full-time guy. He's playing because he has 250+ games of experience and we're down 3 guys. Lomberg is playing (until suspension) as a guy who rotates the 4th line, and occasionally fights and hits.

1 hour ago, Khrox said:

Yes our depth is being tested, but making a move based on Prout isn't the smartest option. I mean the guy is like 9th on the depth chart. People panicking because their 9th D-Man isn't consistently good enough is like panicking because Lomberg plays. We know he's a spot NHL'er at best and not a full-time guy. He's playing because he has 250+ games of experience and we're down 3 guys. Lomberg is playing (until suspension) as a guy who rotates the 4th line, and occasionally fights and hits.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

First of all he shouldn't be out against McDavid and secondly you shouldn't expect any player that sits this long to step in and make 0 mistakes. You are right about the team being tested these next few games.

Whether he should or should't play against McDavid is immaterial.  He will at some point.  MCDavid is being given 26 minutes per game.  They have last change.  There is zero chance he doesn;t see McDavid.

I more concerned about having depth going into the playoffs or the weeks and months leading up to them.  Losing Valimaki is one thing.  Kylington has been able to step up.  We have little depth beyond that.  Stone may be back to the NHL or he may not.  We should be looking for some added depth at a reasonable cost.  Prout os okay for a game or two, but gets exposed easily if he has to play more than 10 minutes.