Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

15,376 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Whether he should or should't play against McDavid is immaterial.  He will at some point.  MCDavid is being given 26 minutes per game.  They have last change.  There is zero chance he doesn;t see McDavid.

I more concerned about having depth going into the playoffs or the weeks and months leading up to them.  Losing Valimaki is one thing.  Kylington has been able to step up.  We have little depth beyond that.  Stone may be back to the NHL or he may not.  We should be looking for some added depth at a reasonable cost.  Prout os okay for a game or two, but gets exposed easily if he has to play more than 10 minutes.  

Well pardon me I will try and understand the game next time before I speak.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

You are welcome for the explanation of the game.

Glad I could help.

15 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Good point.  I doubt Hitchcock will want McDavid on the ice against the Flames third defensive pairing.  He, like Glen Gulutzan, doesn't believe in line matching. 

6 hours ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Good point.  I doubt Hitchcock will want McDavid on the ice against the Flames third defensive pairing.  He, Glen Gulutzan, doesn't believe in line matching. 

I agree Prout will see MacDavid, as everyone will.

Without Backlund or Frolik, I’m really not sure which players get the assignment, but it’s going to be a very tall task.

If I were ever going to put Neal on the 1st line, this might be the game.

Run Lindholm at C to stick to MacDavid like glue as much as possible. He can be our Zetterberg for a game.

i don't  like overthinking it and I don't like compromising your team strategy for 1 player. Best way to neutralize Mcdavid for me is to not let him have the puck. 

Go power on power, Monahan vs Mcdavid and just don't let him have the puck. Brodie/Hanifin as the d so if you do turn it over you've got speed to protect yourself. Play your game because right now your game is one of the best in the league. 

Kykington and Prout were solid last game and while I don't mind Prout I'd still like another d man, particularily one with NHL experience. Not an immediate need but certainly one I think you address as the TDL nears. 

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I agree Prout will see MacDavid, as everyone will.

Without Backlund or Frolik, I’m really not sure which players get the assignment, but it’s going to be a very tall task.

If I were ever going to put Neal on the 1st line, this might be the game.

Run Lindholm at C to stick to MacDavid like glue as much as possible. He can be our Zetterberg for a game.

McD is one thing.  Don't let him get on the outside where he builds up speed.  Easier said than done.

The best way to beat them is to go after them in waves.  Line after line.  I wouldn;t say they are very good defensively for a Hitch team.  All they really have is counter-attack and the PP.   We beat better defensive teams by attacking in waves; CBJ, Minny, NAS.

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

McD is one thing.  Don't let him get on the outside where he builds up speed.  Easier said than done.

The best way to beat them is to go after them in waves.  Line after line.  I wouldn;t say they are very good defensively for a Hitch team.  All they really have is counter-attack and the PP.   We beat better defensive teams by attacking in waves; CBJ, Minny, NAS.

Agreed sustained pressure is the key to winning this game. We are not going to completely shut down McD and Drai. I do believe we have the D to effectively LIMIT these 2 and we have the overall better offense to score more goals. We need a good game by Rittich, Neal, Tkachuk, Bennett, Hathaway.

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Agreed sustained pressure is the key to winning this game. We are not going to completely shut down McD and Drai. I do believe we have the D to effectively LIMIT these 2 and we have the overall better offense to score more goals. We need a good game by Rittich, Neal, Tkachuk, Bennett, Hathaway.

What helped last game was PO'ing some players.

Get under the skin of Draisaitl and Kassian.

Get Nurse thinking about wanting to fight.

Bump the goalie every chance you get.

Take the croud out of the game by exposing the weaknesses.

If, and it's a big IF the goaltending stabilizes itself, more so from Smith than Rittich, do we go hunting for a C at the TDL?

I know Treliving doesn't really want to trade futures and picks at this point and I get that. But if we are a top 5 team in the league by the deadline, why not go for it? It's still way too early but this team looks like it can be a very good team this year, and as we all know these years don't happen that often.

If we added a Hayes, Duchene, Schenn, or similar it would give us 3 really good centres come playoff time. Could keep the top line in tact, have a Tkachuk-Hayes 2nd line (they are cousins oddly enough) and a Frolik-Backlund checking line. Any of Bennett, Janko, Mang, Kylington ,Dube and Czarnik could be in play as well as a 1st. I probably would give Bennett one more playoff before making a final decision on him though

Probably unlikely to see BT do anything upfront as we have scored a lot of goals, my point is it wouldn't be bad as you can never be too deep especially in the West

45 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If, and it's a big IF the goaltending stabilizes itself, more so from Smith than Rittich, do we go hunting for a C at the TDL?

I know Treliving doesn't really want to trade futures and picks at this point and I get that. But if we are a top 5 team in the league by the deadline, why not go for it? It's still way too early but this team looks like it can be a very good team this year, and as we all know these years don't happen that often.

If we added a Hayes, Duchene, Schenn, or similar it would give us 3 really good centres come playoff time. Could keep the top line in tact, have a Tkachuk-Hayes 2nd line (they are cousins oddly enough) and a Frolik-Backlund checking line. Any of Bennett, Janko, Mang, Kylington ,Dube and Czarnik could be in play as well as a 1st. I probably would give Bennett one more playoff before making a final decision on him though

Probably unlikely to see BT do anything upfront as we have scored a lot of goals, my point is it wouldn't be bad as you can never be too deep especially in the West

Hayes is a pending UFA.

Considerng that he's looking for over $6m and he scored less than Backlund, I'm not that interested in a trade.

He jilted us once, when he was a UFA coming out of college; a big push was made to get him here.

He wants to play with his buddy JH, then he'll have to sign as a FA for a manageable cap number.

An idea I saw elsewhere that I wouldn't mind (except for what it would likely cost us) would be Brayden Schenn from the Blues. Could you imagine a second line of Tkachuk-B. Schenn-Neal? That would be a second line that could legitimately scare the crap out of most teams.

Unfortunately, I could see the cost being a first+bennett+one of our 3 rookie D.

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Of those 3 I'd say only Duchene is an upgrade on what we have and no way Ottawa is trading him.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hayes is a pending UFA.

Considerng that he's looking for over $6m and he scored less than Backlund, I'm not that interested in a trade.

He jilted us once, when he was a UFA coming out of college; a big push was made to get him here.

He wants to play with his buddy JH, then he'll have to sign as a FA for a manageable cap number.

Plus Jankowski could become way more than Hayes given a full opportunity to play with talented Wingers this season yet.

I'm not really seeing the need for any trades unless injuries persist to players like Backlund and Frolik.

Charlie Coyle is supposedly being shopped by Minny.

I think there was some interested fans here, about the prospect of trading for him last year.

About the only deal I could see that would help both teams is a Bennett for Coyle swap.

A 26 year old, more consistent scorer for a 22 year old feisty player.

RHS for a LHS.

I would have to be one for one.

Can't say I know what's going on with him this year, but on a defensive team, he's still playing okay.

Opens up room on the LW.

Also, a RHS C/RW.

Any interest?

Coyle is a player i've always liked, but with the Lindholm acquisition I don't think he should be a target anymore. RHS is less of a need and personally I dont' think i'd even do Bennett straight up. I don't think that makes the team better. 

I don't buy into the center depth argument as much as some on here and I definitely don't agree that guys like Hayes, Schenn etc are upgrades, certainly not upgrades at the cost. I could get behind looking at someone like Duchene but I also don't think the cost would be worth it as I don't think this club is in a position to give up their first round pick again. 

But also not a huge believer in the whole stock up at the TDL idea. Doesn't tend to work. 

1 person likes this

I think we're getting to a point where if we're looking to add for playoffs, we shouldn't subtract from the regular roster, which puts us in a rough spot due to reduced # of draft picks the past few years.

I think a rental C isn't a crazy idea, but no way am I giving up a first for one our rookie D.

Apparently czarnik had a bunch of interest in the off season, wonder if teams would still be interested in him as part of a package (obviously not main piece of the deal).

52 minutes ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

I think we're getting to a point where if we're looking to add for playoffs, we shouldn't subtract from the regular roster, which puts us in a rough spot due to reduced # of draft picks the past few years.

I think a rental C isn't a crazy idea, but no way am I giving up a first for one our rookie D.

Apparently czarnik had a bunch of interest in the off season, wonder if teams would still be interested in him as part of a package (obviously not main piece of the deal).

Really, we don't have a lot to deal with.

Bennett, Janko, Czarnik, Ryan, Frolik, Stone....

A couple of those pieces would create a vacuum.

Some would be trading for a similar piece.

I think we need some bottom 6 scoring and some RD depth, but won't solve it unless the right partner comes along.

Even then, I doubt it.

I think Stone still has value as a RHS Dman, could recoup atleast a 3rd Rounder if not an decent NHL ready player in return. I'm ok with losing Fox now as Hanifin is already a solid NHL Dman and should be for some time. We had a bit of a logjam at goalie so maybe Gillies/Macdonald get packaged out. 

Charlie Coyle isn't a bad option, Stone for Coyle might give us more scoring grit up front. Tbh I don't mind keeping Stone for depth, especially come playoff time...we can't forget Valimaki, Rasmus and Kylington are rookies...Hanifin and Lindolm would  be playoff rookies themselves so the vet presence does help. 

Weve been playing well up front and having Frolik in the mix is still a nice insurance policy but he could help a ton of other teams...and Fro still holds some value in the league. Personally I still think Czarnik might have another gear we've yet to see, he's signed for 2 years on a relatively cheap contract so I don't see a rush to trade him yet. 

I feel like something isn’t jiving with the bottom 6. The mix works against bottom feeder teams, but not those that are in the playoffs. It’d be good to get more consistent offence from them in tougher games. 

I still think Backs is the best option for our top 6. He drives play but can’t score this year.

we won’t know how jankowski or someone else is with Tkachuk until you try it.

i get that the Monahan line is one of the best with Lindholm, but I’d Lindholm and Tkachuk could become a duo then we could have more than a one line threat most nights. Sometimes, still, if you shut down the Monahan line, you stop the Flames.

Neal was supposed to be it. If he is tired from all of the playoffs he’s been in, it could be best to rest him, get him working out and let him get into game shape. 

20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I feel like something isn’t jiving with the bottom 6. The mix works against bottom feeder teams, but not those that are in the playoffs. It’d be good to get more consistent offence from them in tougher games. 

I still think Backs is the best option for our top 6. He drives play but can’t score this year.

we won’t know how jankowski or someone else is with Tkachuk until you try it.

i get that the Monahan line is one of the best with Lindholm, but I’d Lindholm and Tkachuk could become a duo then we could have more than a one line threat most nights. Sometimes, still, if you shut down the Monahan line, you stop the Flames.

Neal was supposed to be it. If he is tired from all of the playoffs he’s been in, it could be best to rest him, get him working out and let him get into game shape. 

Sometimes we have to give credit to the opposition, they want to win as well. When we lose we see comments like "we played like crap" or "we were not in sync" or "we never had our legs". What the fact is most of the time is "we got our butts kicked by a better team". 

2 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Sometimes we have to give credit to the opposition, they want to win as well. When we lose we see comments like "we played like crap" or "we were not in sync" or "we never had our legs". What the fact is most of the time is "we got our butts kicked by a better team". 

Thats true too. 

But I think if this team plays it’s game it can contend with most teams in the league. Some teams are tougher to play against. 

Just now, robrob74 said:

Thats true too. 

But I think if this team plays it’s game it can contend with most teams in the league. Some teams are tougher to play against. 

I agree and I think we have become a serious contender. 

11 hours ago, CheersMan said:

If you see the way we play sometimes, not always, then this comment is wrong.  Better at that moment is more the case.  We have a very good team that can beat any team in the league.  You could easily look at several of our losses being the direct result of very bad goaltending.  Average goaltending in those alone would put us at or near the top of the league. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

If you see the way we play sometimes, not always, then this comment is wrong.  Better at that moment is more the case.  We have a very good team that can beat any team in the league.  You could easily look at several of our losses being the direct result of very bad goaltending.  Average goaltending in those alone would put us at or near the top of the league. 

Min the first 10-15 games the team wasn’t doing very good, up to the Pittsburg game. For awhile it was both team play and goaltending.