Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14,282 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I still wonder about a guy like Perron , could play left wing with Neal, they had good chemistry last year . Reasonable contract ($4M)

I know you typically want the center doing the playmaking but based on his stats he does quite a bit of it from the left side anyway 

I believe I posted it elsewhere, but it’s my belief as well that the flames have been scouting St. Louis for Perron specifically, and others peripherally (Schenn, JBow, etc). I am a little concerned over the term attached to Perron, but if the idea is to bring in someone to play with Neal, it *could* work. If it doesn’t, that’s $9mil tied up for quite some time with little production. I’m undecided whether I would take that gamble. 

On the Oilers thread, I stated that Chiarelli should be prevented from making major moves because he is desperate. He could very well do something in his best short-term interests rather than the team's long-term interests. Can the same logic be used for Treliving? On the surface, he is in a much better position than Chiarelli. That is, he is not worried about being fired. He might, however, be thinking that this could be his only kick at the can. I wonder if there is pressure on him to stock up in case of an injury in the playoffs. 

38 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

On the Oilers thread, I stated that Chiarelli should be prevented from making major moves because he is desperate. He could very well do something in his best short-term interests rather than the team's long-term interests. Can the same logic be used for Treliving? On the surface, he is in a much better position than Chiarelli. That is, he is not worried about being fired. He might, however, be thinking that this could be his only kick at the can. I wonder if there is pressure on him to stock up in case of an injury in the playoffs. 

Hard to say, but I always point to the 2015 deadline. There was a ton of pressure on Treliving to bolster the team in wake of Gio's injury and not only did he not bolster the team he actually shipped out Glencross. Part of the reason i'm a big believer in Treliving is he'll stick to his process. 

If he makes a deal, even if it's a big one, I don't think it will be because he panicked it will be because it make sense both short and long term. 

Some quick hits from me:

- I want nothing to do with JBo. I’ve seen that movie before. Didn’t like it then, won’t like it now. Look elsewhere to shore up LD. Anywhere else. Someone that has much more compete - and a pulse. 

- 1st round pick should be in play. Those of you that think we should go into these playoffs as is when we HAVE options (in a buyers market no less) are nuts - no offense. Are you waiting for us to be in a better position next year to do it??? GO FOR IT! 

- Neal. I’m so on the fence whether to keep him around or trade him at the TDL. When the going gets tough in the playoffs to score goals, he’s a bonified sniper who could be the depth scoring we need *or* slotted in on the top line to change the look. If I were to trade him though (in any package of goods, not straight up of course), I’m looking at Panarin (does Columbus have a complex now about players wanting to play there? Neal has term...) or Stone in Ottawa. Tarasenk-NO. We’re looking for a cup this year, we can sort out the roster for next year after the parade. 

- 3M: If I’m treliving, I’m trying to create a secondary scoring line that will push Backlund and Frolik down the lineup, while using them in the same shutdown capacity. 

Tkachuk + __________ + Neal

_______ + Backlund + Frolik

To fill the 2nd line C above: Brassard / Staal / Schenn. Pick anyone on the roster to fill 3rd line LW

- what/who am I willing to give up to make the above happen? Picks (1st rounder definitely) and any/all of Ryan, Hathaway, Czarnik, Stone, Lazar, Rychel. 

- and if some of the above isn’t possible, I’m looking at Perron and Silvferberg and I’d love to get Ferland back here for the ride. 

This is is a wish list, and where I’d be looking if I were GM. Doesn’t mean any or all of it is possible. But this is my target. Fire away!

I'll pass on Perron personally. He had to be healthy scratched before this recent run and also was healthy scratched in the playoffs last year (more than once IIRC). Not the player i'd target for a playoff run especially at a pretty pricey ticket the next few years. Too hot/code of a player for me. I get the Neal connection but I am not picking up over 12 million in contract value to get a 20 million dollar player going. That's scary. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

I believe I posted it elsewhere, but it’s my belief as well that the flames have been scouting St. Louis for Perron specifically, and others peripherally (Schenn, JBow, etc). I am a little concerned over the term attached to Perron, but if the idea is to bring in someone to play with Neal, it *could* work. If it doesn’t, that’s $9mil tied up for quite some time with little production. I’m undecided whether I would take that gamble. 

They may be scouting heavily STL, but not for Perron.

JBow for depth.

Schenn for a scoring RHS C.

Tarasenko for his scoring prowess.

Parayko for a good shut-down D that is costing STL a lot over term.

Edmundson because he's up for a big deal.

Every one of those guys could be available, but only a few would be reasonable costs.

They are all (except JBow) in the right age to help the Flames contend now and another 3-7 years.

Maybe longer.

You look at Parayko to replace a guy like Brodie or Edmundson for (eventual) Gio.

They won't come cheap if available.

Saying that, it's supposed to be a buyers's market.  STL was a seller when they were still close last year.

Too many bubble teams.  Some will accept fate.

39 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Some quick hits from me:

- I want nothing to do with JBo. I’ve seen that movie before. Didn’t like it then, won’t like it now. Look elsewhere to shore up LD. Anywhere else. Someone that has much more compete - and a pulse. 

- 1st round pick should be in play. Those of you that think we should go into these playoffs as is when we HAVE options (in a buyers market no less) are nuts - no offense. Are you waiting for us to be in a better position next year to do it??? GO FOR IT! 

- Neal. I’m so on the fence whether to keep him around or trade him at the TDL. When the going gets tough in the playoffs to score goals, he’s a bonified sniper who could be the depth scoring we need *or* slotted in on the top line to change the look. If I were to trade him though (in any package of goods, not straight up of course), I’m looking at Panarin (does Columbus have a complex now about players wanting to play there? Neal has term...) or Stone in Ottawa. Tarasenk-NO. We’re looking for a cup this year, we can sort out the roster for next year after the parade. 

- 3M: If I’m treliving, I’m trying to create a secondary scoring line that will push Backlund and Frolik down the lineup, while using them in the same shutdown capacity. 

Tkachuk + __________ + Neal

_______ + Backlund + Frolik

To fill the 2nd line C above: Brassard / Staal / Schenn. Pick anyone on the roster to fill 3rd line LW

- what/who am I willing to give up to make the above happen? Picks (1st rounder definitely) and any/all of Ryan, Hathaway, Czarnik, Stone, Lazar, Rychel. 

- and if some of the above isn’t possible, I’m looking at Perron and Silvferberg and I’d love to get Ferland back here for the ride. 

This is is a wish list, and where I’d be looking if I were GM. Doesn’t mean any or all of it is possible. But this is my target. Fire away!

I understand the two camps of win at all costs or stay the course ( I don't think either is necessarily nuts) This winning is great however let's recognize this is the first season under BP and I wouldn't suggest he as it all figured out yet with this group now yet. Playing with paper rosters or paper trades doesn't necessarily get you the golden ring either. Any team has to be ready to win and we have a number of untested parts currently. To waste current assets that could help us with a steady approach over a number of seasons vs the now thinking may prove more worthy IMO.

I definitely don't think our 1st round picks should be in play given the lack of picks we had to work with last draft.

Also the players some are looking to trade or upgrade on are the very players that have shown the most improvement this season Bennett, Jankowski and Hathaway.

I see ways to make us stronger just by deploying what we have differently.