The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It sounds like they are going to buy Eriksson out. Probably likely that Ferland doesn't play and wind up on LTIR. Virtanen is likely a buyout candidate too. That opens up a fair bit. 

They already have to bridge Pettey and Hughes and doing that in order to go out and give Reinhart a bloated contract is a play right out of the Benning cap management playbook so I can see where this comes from. 

Same logic as Hall coming here.

He's a local boy.

I hope they sign him to $8.5m.

Same way I hope the Oilers re-sign Nuge to $6.5 x 6 and Larsson to $4.5m x 4.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

There's a rumor out there that VAN is trading their 1st plus a prospect for Reinhart.

Not that I believe it, but it sounds about right.

He's unsigned and a team would take risks if the trade is before the drafts. 

Canuck fans on Twitter already preemptively struck their own team a full week ago. 

"Trade a 2nd round pick for Toffoli.  Didn't want to sign him back at $4.5-mil-per.

Now trade a 10th overall + prospect for an equal to Toffoli in Reinhart and pay him $6.5-mil-per."

Just read a trade suggestion where the Bruins would trade Debrusk and a 4th liner who had a terrible year and needs a new scenery for Hanifin. 

its pretty ridiculous. Does everyone think that lowly of Flames players?

I feel like I am fair in my suggestions but that’s some really low value for Hanifin.

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Just read a trade suggestion where the Bruins would trade Debrusk and a 4th liner who had a terrible year and needs a new scenery for Hanifin. 

I feel like I am fair in my suggestions but that’s some really low value for Hanifin.

Who is the 4th liner?  Nick Ritchie so we can unite the Ritchie brothers?  Sutter would love that. 

Kuraly is UFA so we can just sign him.  He brings Sutter size and grit.

Ondrej Kase?  RHS RW reclamation project?

The Bruins have Sutter players.

Debrusk is LHS LW looking to play 2nd/3rd line LW.  I mean he's the perfect BT player.  We are going to lose Giordano to Seattle so trading away Hanifin makes perfect sense right?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

The majority of fans couldn’t drum up a plausible or fair trade. “We” are in the minority Robrob 😏

We also undervalue our players as well. I don’t see Buffalo fans selling Eichel for a bag of pucks for a down season and an injury, yet here I am doing that very thing to Monahan. Of course, Eichel is a higher caliber player, but the seriousness of the injury and the desired procedure are very risky and must be accounted for by the receiving team. 

I did like your trade proposals for Eichel + Reinhart. With my fan glasses on, I’d be all for a Monahan + Backlund + whatever else trade for those 2 players, but I think it’s more likely Tkachuk + Monahan + whatever would have to be the package to the Sabres. 

Eichel is a risk. No doubt. But hear me out:

- Monahan has 2 years remaining.
- Tkachuk is slated to get $9 million or something after next season. 

- The 2022 and 2023 drafts are apparently really good

Is this not the perfect time to take a risk? If Eichel’s recovery makes him miss part of the season, there’s a plus to that. If Eichel doesn’t recover well or doesn’t play well after his surgery, there’s a plus to that too. Having $10m tied to an anchor for 5 years will definitely expedite a rebuild and all but guarantee bottom of the league standings. So, I say go for it. I’m sick of the same old same old with this team. 

Edit: Just found this from a Sabres fan on YouTube. Fast forward 2/3 of the way to hear his opinion on a Calgary trade. I like hearing opinions from the other side  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Tkachuk is slated to get $9 million or something after next season. 

The qualifying offer must be 100% of his AAV, not the $9M that he will receive in the final year of his current contract.

So, a multiple year offer around $7.5M  - $7.75M may be possible.

14 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Edit: Just found this from a Sabres fan on YouTube. Fast forward 2/3 of the way to hear his opinion on a Calgary trade. I like hearing opinions from the other side  

Thanks.  I hope Kevyn Adams listens to his fans.  Tkachuk + Zary + 12th overall is a fair trade for both sides.  Flames can afford to deal from a position of strength for a #1 Center.

My feeling is BT will go look for a "Sutter Bottom 6" which means we will add big bodies to handle the rough stuff, agitating, pest, etc.  So we will replace a bit of Tkachuk that way.

I haven't seen much of Pelletier but he's advertised as a Gallagher-type so should come with some peskiness to offset the loss of Tkachuk in the top 6.

Mangiapane has 60-point potential if he gets PP time.

10 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

The qualifying offer must be 100% of his AAV, not the $9M that he will receive in the final year of his current contract.

The unfortunate thing is that we can just accept the $9m and go to UFA.

His negotiating strength is much better then.

However, if he wants to stay here he would need to be reasonable.

I think the only deal he would take has 8 in it.

8.5 x 8.

Structure it higher in the early years, dropping then back up to finish.

The flat cap years are going to be tough, but after that it will make sense.

Not that I am suggesting we should or shouldn't make this deal, just what it likely takes.

Not sure on the full idea here, this is an idea at work based on a suggestion I saw on Facebook from a St Louis beat writer.

There appears to be interest, at least from the fan base, for the Blues to try and trade for Tkachuk. There were a couple of casual suggestions floated but none were complete thoughts so I thought I would try and get closer.

The writer suggested the basic trade being around either Thomas and/or Kyrou + or Parayko.

My thoughts, Kyrou could be a good fit in top 6 at RW, offensive more than D. Young RFA, meaning a little cheaper due to no contract. 

Parayko is a big RHD with offensive instincts and no slouch on D. At 5.5 for 1 year before UFA, this is more likely a push for the cup type play.

That being said, there are also some cap considerations to make. 

So my thoughts, good or bad, to try and make it balanced:

To STL

Tkachuk 

Dube

To CGY

Parayko 5.5 RHD

Kyrou RFA RW

Sundquist (IR ACL) 2.75

We likely need to make other moves, but that gives us:

Mangiapane Lindholm Kyrou

Gaudreau Monahan??

?? Backlund Sundquist

Lucic ?? ??

Hanifin Tanev

Giordano Parayko 

Valimaki Andersson 

??

Markstrom

??

Just thinking aloud.

^^^^^^

Interesting suggestion.

I would love to see CP55 here.

We have a pretty soft D, not exactly striking fear into forwards.

Would be better if we could add a LD, but okay.

I'm assuming Dube helps balance the cap but I would avoid it if possible.

So, thinking out loud....

Make the trade.

Sign Jamie Oleksiak.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Kyrou

Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube

Hanifin-Parayko

Oleksiak-Tanev

Valimaki-Ras

If you believe that you build from the net out, we are fine. 

Actually better than fine, but we finally look like a team that punishes other team's players.

For this to work, we have to move Gio after the expansion draft.

We lose a franchise player for a young C/RW.  But that is just the impact to the F group.

I'm a little hestitant moving Dube up to the top again, but I think he's close.

On 6/19/2021 at 12:45 AM, 420since1974 said:

the qualifying offer is based on the base salary of the previous season and not cap hit unfortunately. Tkachuk’s qualifying offer will need to be 9 million if the Flames want to retain his rights. 

but it’s really just part of the negotiating game so I think too much is being made of it. If Tkachuk wants to stay the can find a way and if he doesn’t he’s an asset I think the could easily move. I don’t think it’a a bad situation. 

So why would we get rid of a player that every team would kill to get we have been looking for a player like him for yrs now we have that player and every one wants to move for (maybe) better players I just don't understand?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zima said:

So why would we get rid of a player that every team would kill to get we have been looking for a player like him for yrs now we have that player and every one wants to move for (maybe) better players I just don't understand?

I'm assuming you're talking Chucky.

In reality there is an imbalance of talent on the left side, that means moving either Chucky, Johnny, or Mangi.  Arguably Chucky will be the most costly to re-sign and is the youngest but moving him could have the biggest potential return, returns that could go a long way in filling holes at other positions.

I havent soured on Chucky and I realize 31 other teams would love to have him and if he still played the style that got him his notoriety in the league then I dont think he would even come up in convo.  But where did that edge go? Without it yes he's still a very good LW but it makes him a little more expendable.

The thing with Dube was the need by STL to send more salary back to balance, and Sundquist was the player I thought made the most sense. 3rd line RW paid appropriately. Tkachuk doesn’t get Parayko, Kyrou and Sundquist. Dube is RFA and while I don’t really want to trade him, I think he fits the Berube style team and would make sense. Otherwise you are looking at Pelletier or Zary and I am less willing to move players who haven’t even played in the AHL yet.

As FFIJL said, the idea is moving from an area of strength to fill other holes. The idea is making the team better overall and if moving 1 big name and 1 developing but likely middle 6 at best being forced to his off wing for a top 6 RW (area of need), Top 3 RHD (area of need), and a middle 6 RW (area of need) at a cap saving with less future cap troubles (Tkachuk next contract) then it is a move you should make.

Other moves can still be made to alter/upgrade.

Oleksiak would be reasonable depending on cost if Giordano is moved/lost. 

Keeping Lucic for 4th line and bringing up Ruzicka for mentoring makes sense to me. Ultimately I think Ruzicka will top out at middle or bottom 6 C but who knows. Get him time in the bigs to continue developing.

Still need #2 RW, #4 RW, #3 LW and backup G.

3 hours ago, zima said:

Because $9-mil-per.

Because you have to give something good to get something good in return.

Because we've won nothing with him.

Because perceived locker room issues.

Because we have too many LWs.

Perceived so if he has bad attitude in the locker room why would any one else want him? It takes more than 1 player to win a game or a season but i think  given up on MrT so soon will bit us in the rear

19 minutes ago, zima said:

Perceived so if he has bad attitude in the locker room why would any one else want him? It takes more than 1 player to win a game or a season but i think  given up on MrT so soon will bit us in the rear

I 100% believe if he does get traded he'll be able to go back to the Chucky of old and it will look really poor on an organization that tried to neuter his antics.  Whether it was mgmt or the lockerroom that got him to tone down we may never know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zima said:

Why would anyone want Mike Hoffman's wife around their team?  What about Evander Kane and Dion Phaneuf?

Some teams put talent above other things.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why would anyone want Mike Hoffman's wife around their team?  What about Evander Kane and Dion Phaneuf?

In hindsight I think the Sharks are really regretting having Kane and his expen$ive habits on their squad.

59 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I 100% believe if he does get traded he'll be able to go back to the Chucky of old and it will look really poor on an organization that tried to neuter his antics.  Whether it was mgmt or the lockerroom that got him to tone down we may never know.

I can see that.  Maybe Giordano told him to tone it down.  Maybe it was Ward.  Don't know but I feel it's two reasons:

1. We don't want him injured because he's one of our best players.  Longevity becomes a problem when he's always engaging in extra curricular activities after the whistle and stuff.  Fighting, etc.  He's already had 2 concussions so he should tone it down or else he's going to go downhill in 5 years max.

2. The team itself doesn't want to play that style and isn't built to play that style.  Regrettably, we are a smaller team.  When Tkachuk agitates, there's no backup.  And that brings heat and trouble to our smaller players.  That's how it is.  

For me it has little to do with locker room, but the 9 mil to re-sign is a tough pill to swallow for me with a stagnant cap.

While the Leafs did ok with a few massive contracts, same with Oilers who at least made playoffs, neither team made the semifinals. I don’t see the benefits of riding 2 or 3 players and having little to no support because you can’t even afford middling help for your stars. Having Eichel and Tkachuk as some fans are suggesting would be similar to McDavid and Draisaitl. Sure they may be exciting to watch, but they can’t carry the team through the playoffs.

So if you can get 3 good to very good players for the same price as one excellent player, then that is good asset management.

Kyrou should offset most of Tkachuk’s offence though less physical however he is a RS C/RW. He should also cost less. Parayko upgrades the D, specifically the right side and Sundqvist has similar offensive numbers to Dube, a little older but also had 4 inches and 30 lbs on him plus is a RS RW. The issue with Sundqvist is injuries. Can he come back from ACL and be healthy?

I still think as far as asset management goes, Gaudreau, Monahan and Giordano should all be moved. Not that I dislike them or think they are bad players, but cost and team future I think would do better by moving them. Unless we can pry Zacha out of Jersey, I see no point moving Backlund. Zacha is an ideal 3rd line C at less than half the cost of Backlund, and he is showing improvement while still young.

While some players are fan favourites, for me the team is more important than individual players, and if moving bigger names can improve the team, I think you do it. But that is my opinion.

• Like 1

There's been some talk from St.Louis media that the Blues should make a play for Tkachuk. I don't really see the fit, they don't have much that really interests me. Parayko is a year away from UFA. I like Thomas and Kyrou, but I think better trade partners than the Blues are out there.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

and what have those teams won?

I don’t know if there is much truth to this locker room stuff to be honest. Seems to me a narrative being pushed because the team didn’t meet expectations. 

3 hours ago, bosn111 said:

1. For me it has little to do with locker room, but the 9 mil to re-sign is a tough pill to swallow for me with a stagnant cap.

2. I still think as far as asset management goes, Gaudreau, Monahan and Giordano should all be moved. Not that I dislike them or think they are bad players, but cost and team future I think would do better by moving them. Unless we can pry Zacha out of Jersey, I see no point moving Backlund. Zacha is an ideal 3rd line C at less than half the cost of Backlund, and he is showing improvement while still young.

3. While some players are fan favourites, for me the team is more important than individual players, and if moving bigger names can improve the team, I think you do it. But that is my opinion.

1. This is where I’m at Bosn. I like Tkachuk, but not at $9mil. 

2. BINGO. I see it the exact same way. In fact, I’ve been thinking if we could sign and trade Gaudreau along with Mony+ to Buffalo in an Eichel + Reinhart trade… wow, that would be my ultimate shakeup all in one swoop. I’m done with Gaudreau, not because he’s a bad player by any means, but I feel this team relies on him too much and hockey is a team sport. What Montreal is doing these playoffs, to me, is incredible. There’s a real “team effort” there and no reliance on any specific individual player. (Outside of Carey Price, but he is the last line of defense only after the team defense being played in front of him is overcome)

3. I share this opinion, as you can see in comment #2

Edit: 

- re: St. Louis, I like your suggestions and in the past I thought Brayden Schenn would be a good fit here. What say you about Schenn, bosn?

- I really like the Jamie Oleksiak idea for D mentioned elsewhere. Really like it. 

- Lastly, having watched him play in Toronto, Kasperi Kapanen would be a good and inexpensive pickup for RW. His point totals have been in a downward trend the last 3 years, but he’s young, he has great drive, he’s an RFA, and a good buy low candidate in my opinion. What would Burkie want for him in Pittsburgh? Any chance we can send them Backlund and get more than KK back in return? Jason Zucker? Pittsburgh likes being deep at Center, and if I’m not mistaken, isn’t Malkin having off-season surgery or something and won’t be available at the start of next season?

36 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

1. This is where I’m at Bosn. I like Tkachuk, but not at $9mil. 

2. BINGO. I see it the exact same way. In fact, I’ve been thinking if we could sign and trade Gaudreau along with Mony+ to Buffalo in an Eichel + Reinhart trade… wow, that would be my ultimate shakeup all in one swoop. I’m done with Gaudreau, not because he’s a bad player by any means, but I feel this team relies on him too much and hockey is a team sport. What Montreal is doing these playoffs, to me, is incredible. There’s a real “team effort” there and no reliance on any specific individual player. (Outside of Carey Price, but he is the last line of defense only after the team defense being played in front of him is overcome)

3. I share this opinion, as you can see in comment #2

It would take more than those two to swing that deal and then what? Is the team really any better or does Calgary become the Buffalo of the west?