The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Interesting that this comes out after an article in St.Louis hypothesized how they believed Tkachuk would one day like to play for his hometown St.Louis Blues. Now, that article was not suggesting Tkachuk has asked for a trade, wants to be traded, or is even available for trade - it was clear on that front - but, somehow good ol' Shane O'Brien all of a sudden has all these sources talking about how Tkachuk wants out now. Enjoy your 15 minutes Shane. 

That said, you all know I'm all for a Tkachuk for Eichel trade. Adding Mony and getting Reinhart back would also be a boon. But, as I suggested in other posts, Kasperi Kapinen could be a good RW add as well, and getting bigger on the backend with Oleksiak or Zadorov or any other big/punishing D should be a priority. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

I took it literally because you put an exact number there.

The issue has nothing at all to do with size. You keep saying the Flames are too small and I pointed out that there are power forwards out there who aren’t overly big, nor are Mangiapane or Dube particularly small compared to guys like MacKinnon. 1-2 inches is not a big deal. 

As TD pointed out, Mangiapane is actually strong and heavy for his height, along the lines of Darcy Tucker who was another 5’10 player I mentioned.

As you say, the issue is more playing style, and you are correct in that. We had Bennett but his style was restrained by coaches / line mates. Tkachuk doesn’t have the speed to play that style. So rather than complain about size, just say the Flames don’t have a guy that plays with that style. I think Dube could if given the chance, but that isn’t the team’s makeup or current strategy and unless that team MO changes, then we will never know if Dube could excel at that style.

Would MacKinnon (6’) be a great player for the Flames? Yes but good luck getting him. So who do you suggest and how should we acquire them? Who are the league’s current power forwards that the Flames could possibly get?

Well as of now I’m gonna change my mind a wee bit IF the Tachuck wanting out of Cgy is True then I’m gonna have to side with the Eichel + Reinhart (here is your power fwd)…again this only makes sense if Tachuck wants out…if that’s not true, package Gaudreau and or Manji/Dube (all things depending on the other side) but one of those (in the case of Manji obviously + something like a pick or two) and grab reinhart and keep Tachuck if he’s wanting to satay:

Tachuck/Monahan/Reinhart or Lindholm 

manji or Gaudreau/Reinhart or Lindholm/?

or if he wants out:

gaudreau/Eichel/Reinhart or Lindholm 

manji/Reinhart or Lindholm/?

the only issue is how much of a power forward type is Eichel? If he drives the play well then slid Rineheart down to 2nd line Ctr…

im more of a fan of keeping Monahan and Tachuck as it may be easier to get Reinhart with gaudreau + a little or maybe even straight up…then your getting some size and strength added to the top 2 lines and also get to keep Manji…I’m actually a huge fan of him but he’s not a 2nd liner but short term for a year and with say Rineheart as his Ctr he could make it and he’s cheaper than Gaudreau and a bit more fight in him…would just need to find another legit 2nd line RW…this would also allow Cgy to move Dube to 3rd line RW where he should be.

34 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Interesting that this comes out after an article in St.Louis hypothesized how they believed Tkachuk would one day like to play for his hometown St.Louis Blues. Now, that article was not suggesting Tkachuk has asked for a trade, wants to be traded, or is even available for trade - it was clear on that front - but, somehow good ol' Shane O'Brien all of a sudden has all these sources talking about how Tkachuk wants out now. Enjoy your 15 minutes Shane. 

That said, you all know I'm all for a Tkachuk for Eichel trade. Adding Mony and getting Reinhart back would also be a boon. But, as I suggested in other posts, Kasperi Kapinen could be a good RW add as well, and getting bigger on the backend with Oleksiak or Zadorov or any other big/punishing D should be a priority. 

I don't buy the story one bit.

Saying that, I'm sure he was pissed during the last half of the season.

He should be, but then again Sutter said he needed to use him better.  And did.

I know it's meaningless games, but that top line was pretty decent the last month of the season.

He may be a bit fed up with the leadership.  But I doubt he reaches out to SOB to tell him that or even says it in a casual setting.

Maybe during the end-of-year conversation(s) with BT and/or Sutter, but nowhere else.

I am in the camp that until a better source comes out I won't put much stock in this. Shane O'Brien is not a news breaker and this would not be the first time he bent some stories to try and make a name for himself. Seems to me the guy is trying to build a media career and carving out a bit of a personality as he's already shared some stuff that is a bit questionable. Believe it was him who tried to put it out there that Hartley made Sven Baertschi cry. Pretty convenient that this comes off the heels or a poor season, maybe some locker room issues, and other St Louis beat writers noting that Tkachuk would be a great player for the Blues to target. 

I am a big Tkachuk fan and as of today I hope he plays his whole career here, but at the same time if a trade makes you better than no one should be untouchable. 

Tkachuk wanting out would be ludicrous. He’s coming off a bad season on a team that had a bad season. Sure there seems to be a schism in the room, but change has to be coming regardless. Heck, Gio could be gone. Tkachuk isn’t a player like Bennett, who’s development stalled out, he’s a first line player with the highest salary on the team. If one un-fun year is all it takes for him to want out, then good riddance. I’d rather someone with more mental toughness and commitment to the flaming c than that.

I don’t believe it’s true to be frank.

14 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

Tkachuk wanting out would be ludicrous. He’s coming off a bad season on a team that had a bad season. Sure there seems to be a schism in the room, but change has to be coming regardless. Heck, Gio could be gone. Tkachuk isn’t a player like Bennett, who’s development stalled out, he’s a first line player with the highest salary on the team. If one un-fun year is all it takes for him to want out, then good riddance. I’d rather someone with more mental toughness and commitment to the flaming c than that.

I don’t believe it’s true to be frank.

I Agree MrT has a thick skin you have to to play his style of game and I still don't think trading that kind of talent is a smart move BT hasn't had the greats track record when it comes to trades IMO.

Gaudreau went on Philly radio/podcast and said it would be fun to play for his hometown team one day.  I mean, that was much worse. In this case, Tkachuk never said anything and this guy is making up stories.

That said however, I think Tkachuk is not happy right now and not happy with losing.  Tkachuk's dad Keith used to call the Sutter's BS hockey so... Darryl is now the coach and probably asked Tkachuk to tone down his antics.

Tkachuk and Sutter is not a good marriage.  I certainly hope cooler heads prevail and Tkachuk stays (or we trade him for Eichel).

39 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Gaudreau went on Philly radio/podcast and said it would be fun to play for his hometown team one day.  I mean, that was much worse. In this case, Tkachuk never said anything and this guy is making up stories.

That said however, I think Tkachuk is not happy right now and not happy with losing.  Tkachuk's dad Keith used to call the Sutter's BS hockey so... Darryl is now the coach and probably asked Tkachuk to tone down his antics.

Tkachuk and Sutter is not a good marriage.  I certainly hope cooler heads prevail and Tkachuk stays (or we trade him for Eichel).

I actually think Tkachuk was called out by the coach for his selfish plays.

Not his edge.

He would love to have Tkachuk play Doubty hockey.

The other stuff I think is more pressing.

Love Lucic, but sorry bud it's not 2011 Boston here.

You want to help the team, stop being critical in the media.

If Gio is the problem, send him packing.

A little harsh, but I'm so tired of the platitudes after losses.

Scoring a bunch after we have been effectively eliminated doesn't make me smile.

Father time has marched on.

The D core is getting out worked.

What make this O’Brien thing funny is he suggested Tarasenko for Tkachuk.

Flames don’t touch that with a ten foot pole. Tarasenko’s shoulders are done. Tarasenko also declines it with his NTC

• Like 1

I don’t know how realistic this is, but Danault is a UFA and I recall earlier in the season it was reported MTL wasn’t interested in extending him. He’s been a defensive gem for MTL these playoffs playing against the top lines. I’d try to sign him and then trade Backlund to the highest bidder. Who knows, maybe even Seattle would trade someone they acquire for Backlund. Don’t count them out as a potential destination. 

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What make this O’Brien thing funny is he suggested Tarasenko for Tkachuk.

Flames don’t touch that with a ten foot pole. Tarasenko’s shoulders are done. Tarasenko also declines it with his NTC

No thanks.  Let's get Eichel for Tkachuk+..  That's the only trade i'm interested in involving Tkachuk.

What.kind of return can we get for BT and the owners?  Any chance of getting Feester and Hartley back?

Ideally I’d like Tkachuk to play with Eichel. So any 2-player combination of Mony, Backlund, or Gaudreau would be my preference. In fact, I’d offer all 3 for Eichel + Reinhart (pending a Gaudreau signing to increase his value in trade with term) or add a prospect / pick to compensate JH’s one year remaining. 

- Then I’d sign Danault out of MTL to replace Backs

- Figure out how to get Kasperi Kapanen out of Pitts for RW

- Assuming Gio is taken by Seattle, get one of Jamie Oleksiak, Ryan Graves, or Nikita Zadorov for LD

Forwards ($46.75m)

Tkachuk - Eichel - Lindholm ($21.8m)

Mange - Reinhart - Kapanen ($11.7m)

Dube - Danault - Leivo ($7m)

I - don’t - care     (Can be any combination of kids, Ritchie $1m, Looch $5.25, whoever)

Defence ($21m)
Oleksiak/Graves/Zadorov - Tanev ($8.5m)

Hanifin - Andersson ($9.5m)

Valimaki - Stone/Kylington ($3m for all 3?)

Goal ($9m)

Markstrom ($6m)

Reimer/BSD ($3m)

Total: $76.75m cap hit

Defence needs some work. But there’s some cap room available. I see Hanifin/Kylington as trade potential for something else.

Would Buffalo be interested in acquiring 2 NHL Centermen + Gaudreau for a disgruntled/injured Eichel + Reinhart (RFA that won’t sign)? I think they entertain that 100%. 

10 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Ideally I’d like Tkachuk to play with Eichel. So any 2-player combination of Mony, Backlund, or Gaudreau would be my preference. In fact, I’d offer all 3 for Eichel + Reinhart (pending a Gaudreau signing to increase his value in trade with term) or add a prospect / pick to compensate JH’s one year remaining. 

- Then I’d sign Danault out of MTL to replace Backs

- Figure out how to get Kasperi Kapanen out of Pitts for RW

- Assuming Gio is taken by Seattle, get one of Jamie Oleksiak, Ryan Graves, or Nikita Zadorov for LD

Forwards ($46.75m)

Tkachuk - Eichel - Lindholm ($21.8m)

Mange - Reinhart - Kapanen ($11.7m)

Dube - Danault - Leivo ($7m)

I - don’t - care     (Can be any combination of kids, Ritchie $1m, Looch $5.25, whoever)

Defence ($21m)
Oleksiak/Graves/Zadorov - Tanev ($8.5m)

Hanifin - Andersson ($9.5m)

Valimaki - Stone/Kylington ($3m for all 3?)

Goal ($9m)

Markstrom ($6m)

Reimer/BSD ($3m)

Total: $76.75m cap hit

Defence needs some work. But there’s some cap room available. I see Hanifin/Kylington as trade potential for something else.

Would Buffalo be interested in acquiring 2 NHL Centermen + Gaudreau for a disgruntled/injured Eichel + Reinhart (RFA that won’t sign)? I think they entertain that 100%. 

Danault is not singing here.  His stock has exploded 100x these playoffs and will be looking at a big raise this off-season via UFA. He will have lots of options.

Plus, he's 28-years-old and looking to cash in maybe $5-mil x 5-years.  That's just too much for a pure shut down C.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Danault is not singing here.  His stock has exploded 100x these playoffs and will be looking at a big raise this off-season via UFA. He will have lots of options.

Plus, he's 28-years-old and looking to cash in maybe $5-mil x 5-years.  That's just too much for a pure shut down C.

You mean like what we are paying Backlund?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Danault $3-mil-per = good

Danault $5-mil-per = no good

That applies exactly to Backlund then, right?

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Danault $3-mil-per = good

Danault $5-mil-per = no good

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That applies exactly to Backlund then, right?

Hey TD and Peeps!

Let's call it $4m x 5 for Danault then :)

He's also 28 whereas Backs is 32

Adds an extra $1m to my projected salary cap, so $77.5m

Still doable and our Center ice position hasn't looked this good since '89

- also, take your pick: Lindholm/Reinhart at 2C, the other can play RW since they're both Right handed. Gives some options! 

37 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Hey TD and Peeps!

Let's call it $4m x 5 for Danault then :)

He's also 28 whereas Backs is 32

Adds an extra $1m to my projected salary cap, so $77.5m

Still doable and our Center ice position hasn't looked this good since '89

- also, take your pick: Lindholm/Reinhart at 2C, the other can play RW since they're both Right handed. Gives some options! 

I actually like Danault, but think he will be overpaid.

Most likely he stays in MTL anyway.

I like Backlund, but can't fathom the way we use him as a 3C.

He's not a #1, and even as a #2, he is just okay.

We need to pass the torch at some point, but nobody (being allowed) to step up.

Danault has always been this good, this is just the first time he's been on this type of a stage. 

If the Flames really want to push this thing forward then one of the more reasonable ways to do that would be to trade Monahan and sign Danault, and if it takes 4-5 so be it. That would give the Flames the type of center core you need to execute Sutter's game plan and would make them a team capable of what Montreal is doing right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Doesn't surprise me one bit.  SOB is not what I would call a source.

But, as usual, a dumb story turns into a media blitz.

Did SOB talk to Eric Francis for this?

28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well that’s great news! Now maybe BT can move Gaudreau, keep Manji and Dube for 2nd and 3rd line duty and maybe  move out Gio, Lucic and Backlund for a shake up of sorts, maybe add a replacement D for Gio and either a top line RW and another quality 2nd line Ctr or even a top line Ctr…

or 

two tip line RW’s could work too giving Lindholm can play Ctr…though I’d much rather he stay on RW where he seems to have excelled at.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You mean like what we are paying Backlund?

I think it’s time

to move on from Backlund, change could be good for both team and Backlund plus I do kinda like the idea of Danault for 3rd line…at 28 his age is perfect and having him play with Dube on the RW could wok especially if BT could land Reinhart…though in one way or another that would pretty much mean either Tkacuck or Gaudreau is moved…my guess probably Gaudreau so…if the Danault thing could be done and Reinhart that could nearly fix the top 3 lines…

Tkacuck/Monahan/Lindholm 
Manji/Reinhart/???

Dube/Danault/???? 

is there a  quality RW with a last name starting with D, preferably under 30? Then we could have a triple D line 👍😉

bit seriously, only needing to find 2 2nd line RW may be the way to go /or like someone else said they can slide to the RW if some Ctrs are available..options are good and make things much easier to change things than need to be changed.

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

I think it’s time

to move on from Backlund, change could be good for both team and Backlund plus I do kinda like the idea of Danault for 3rd line…at 28 his age is perfect and having him play with Dube on the RW could wok especially if BT could land Reinhart…though in one way or another that would pretty much mean either Tkacuck or Gaudreau is moved…my guess probably Gaudreau so…if the Danault thing could be done and Reinhart that could nearly fix the top 3 lines…

Tkacuck/Monahan/Lindholm 
Manji/Reinhart/???

Dube/Danault/???? 

is there a  quality RW with a last name starting with D, preferably under 30? Then we could have a triple D line 👍😉

bit seriously, only needing to find 2 2nd line RW may be the way to go /or like someone else said they can slide to the RW if some Ctrs are available..options are good and make things much easier to change things than need to be changed.

From asset management, it makes sense to sign Danault for Backlund or less money, then trade Backlund.

I don't think trading Gaudreau and keeping Monahan and Tkachuk makes us any better, unless we are getting a franchise player back.

I don't hate your top 9, just don't think it's really that competitive.

Not even as good as what we have today.