The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I think we should be talking to Minny about Dumba.

They can't protect him.

It will cost them too much to keep him in protection.

Make it worth their while.

We then expose Gio and Tanev, which might come back to haunt us, but we have replaced Tanev with a younger version anyway.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Hard to argue this point😞

though I do wonder why Fox never wanted to sign here…I don’t recall if a reason was ever made public…unfortunately the Fox loss is not something that can be blamed on Mgt…or is it? Did they treat him poorly maybe cause he was a lower round pick?

It's been rumored for a while that Fox, even as a prospect, had his eyes on NY as where he wanted to play. Remember it was not just the Flames he refused to sign with it was Carolina too. 

His camp tried to put it out there that they felt it was because NY had the best opportunity for him to play sooner but I have a hard time believing that one.

It sucks but there really was nothing the Flames could do about it. Fox had leverage and he used it to get what he wanted, it happens. 

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Adam Fox wins the Norris Trophy.  Wow... really?  Was he THAT good this season?  I knew he was good but wins Norris?  I thought Cale Makar would have it in the bag.

So in hindsight, Fox was a "throw-in" because we knew he wasn't going to sign with us.  Hamilton was supposed to be the best player in the trade and then the next two best was supposed to be Lindholm and Hanifin.  Fast forward 3 years and Adam Fox is the best player in the trade... wut?  23-year-old RHS RD Norris Dman.  Kudos for drafting him in the first place I guess... 

To Flames,

Lindholm

Hanifin

To Hurricanes,

Ferland

Hamilton

Fox

Let's be honest, if Hamilton didn't get injured last season then he would've won the Norris Trophy.  The Flames traded away two Norris RHS RD for a complementary Forward and a 2nd pair LD.

Wait did Fox win the Norris for Carolina??  Nope.   

Hamilton there is a good chance is out this year, and even if they find a sign and trade somewhere I don't see a team giving up that much to do it.  The complimentary forward has arguably been the teams best forward over the past 2 seasons, all while being the 5th highest paid forward and signed for 3 more years.  The #2 LD is also still younger than Hamilton was when we traded him, and keep in mind plenty people here pointed out every error in Hamilton's game when he was here.  So if you want to look at it as 2 Norris RHS RD for complementary forward and 2nd pair LD, just remember we traded a player who didn't want to be here, a player who was due a sizable raise, and a prospect who was only signing in one market for an at the time 23 and 21 year old former top 5 picks, who gave cost control for 6 years, its not that bad especially now with the flat cap.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Adam Fox wins the Norris Trophy.  Wow... really?  Was he THAT good this season?  I knew he was good but wins Norris?  I thought Cale Makar would have it in the bag.

So in hindsight, Fox was a "throw-in" because we knew he wasn't going to sign with us.  Hamilton was supposed to be the best player in the trade and then the next two best was supposed to be Lindholm and Hanifin.  Fast forward 3 years and Adam Fox is the best player in the trade... wut?  23-year-old RHS RD Norris Dman.  Kudos for drafting him in the first place I guess... 

To Flames,

Lindholm

Hanifin

To Hurricanes,

Ferland

Hamilton

Fox

Let's be honest, if Hamilton didn't get injured last season then he would've won the Norris Trophy.  The Flames traded away two Norris RHS RD for a complementary Forward and a 2nd pair LD.

I think it's harsh to call Lindholm a complimentary forward. He's performed and a top line level at both center and wing. 

Full disclosure I still wish this trade didn't happen. I loved Hamilton and was pretty high on Fox so losing both in the trade hurt but I at the same time I think it's only fair to point out that Fox made it known he wasn't going to sign here and i've heard that Hamilton did the same. 

It's a trade that sucks but ultimately was a move the organization had to make and turned out fairly decent at the end of the day. 

6 hours ago, sak22 said:

Wait did Fox win the Norris for Carolina??  Nope.   

I guess the question now becomes, would we have stuffed him on the 3rd pair for eternity and give him every opportunity to fail like we did with Valimaki?  Sutter complains our D is too young but this year's Norris winner is younger than Hanifin and Andersson.  

I'm starting to think we never would've developed Fox properly to be what he has become.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I guess the question now becomes, would we have stuffed him on the 3rd pair for eternity and give him every opportunity to fail like we did with Valimaki?  Sutter complains our D is too young but this year's Norris winner is younger than Hanifin and Andersson.  

I'm starting to think we never would've developed Fox properly to be what he has become.

Who knows.  Fox wasn't gifted 20 minutes and top PP to start in New York, didn't even get the top PP until DeAngelo left, he gave the Rangers no choice but to play him.  Gaudreau wasn't gifted top 6 or PP1 out the gate, he gave them no choice but to play him more, Monahan was bottom 6 most of his rookie year, Gio was a bottom pairing guy until he started outplaying all the multimillionaires.  Nothing wrong with starting guys low and making them earn it.

• Like 1

This feels like a Flames target if they end up losing Gio. Have a feeling this is a guy Sutter would enjoy coaching.

Not my favourite trade target, would depend on the acquisition cost though. 

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This feels like a Flames target if they end up losing Gio. Have a feeling this is a guy Sutter would enjoy coaching.

You lost me.  A 37 year old to replace a 38 year old?

His best days seem to be further behind than Gio.

I hope this is VAN and not CGY.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

You lost me.  A 37 year old to replace a 38 year old?

His best days seem to be further behind than Gio.

I hope this is VAN and not CGY.

I do too.

Not what I'd be doing, but it feels to me like something the Flames would do

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I do too.

Not what I'd be doing, but it feels to me like something the Flames would do

Oh you scared me.

It sounds like something a team would do if they had cup aspirations.

Sutter doesn't at this point, though he wants one.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Oh you scared me.

It sounds like something a team would do if they had cup aspirations.

Sutter doesn't at this point, though he wants one.

The only way it makes sense to me would be if CHI is eating money. At around 3 mill, it's fine for a secondary D. 

Hopefully Holland blows EDM's remaining cap on Keith. He said they need some "greybeards"

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The only way it makes sense to me would be if CHI is eating money. At around 3 mill, it's fine for a secondary D. 

Hopefully Holland blows EDM's remaining cap on Keith. He said they need some "greybeards"

It's a cap issue, since his actually salary is quite low ($2.1m and $1.5m).

Strangely enough, it would probably help EDM, who tends to vacilates between young blood and old goats.

I'm not interested.

I suspect he will retire if he ends up somewhere he doesn't want to be.

And his NMC makes zero sense for us.

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I forgot he had one of those front loaded deals, only making 3.6 in actual dollars.  Might have Seattle written all over that, I'm a pass even if Chicago retains as I don't believe there is any tread left on those tires.

Sutter is the only reason why the Flames would be potentially interested because that's not a BT move at all, especially if Chris Snow is involved. If Snow told them they were crazy to consider Rasmus I can only consider what he would say if this idea was brought up. 

Keith makes no sense at any price or any acquisition cost for the Flames. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I look at the portion that says “to a place HE WANTS TO GO” and conclude it is NOT Calgary. Sounds definitively like it’s the player’s choice, not Sutter’s. That said, he hails from Winnipeg, and many players appreciate coastal team destinations. Let’s hope the Jets, Canucks, and even the Oilers are foolish enough to take this one on. Out of those 3 destinations, Benning seems to be the likely buffoon to bite. Keith’s style of play also screams Canucks to me. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Who are we kidding.  We will target Keith even if we still have Gio.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Who knows.  Fox wasn't gifted 20 minutes and top PP to start in New York, didn't even get the top PP until DeAngelo left, he gave the Rangers no choice but to play him.  Gaudreau wasn't gifted top 6 or PP1 out the gate, he gave them no choice but to play him more, Monahan was bottom 6 most of his rookie year, Gio was a bottom pairing guy until he started outplaying all the multimillionaires.  Nothing wrong with starting guys low and making them earn it.

Trues enough.

I was just using Valimaki as an example.  Even Kylington to a degree.  Kylington was close to making it and they acquired Gustaffson to make sure Kylington never got the chance.

41 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I look at the portion that says “to a place HE WANTS TO GO” and conclude it is NOT Calgary. Sounds definitively like it’s the player’s choice, not Sutter’s. That said, he hails from Winnipeg, and many players appreciate coastal team destinations. Let’s hope the Jets, Canucks, and even the Oilers are foolish enough to take this one on. Out of those 3 destinations, Benning seems to be the likely buffoon to bite. Keith’s style of play also screams Canucks to me. 

Apparently he wants to be closer to his kid. He’s separated and they live in Penticton. 

Hopefully it’s an Oiler move

Not really interested in Keith either but the thing to remember is he has basically been playing babysitter for a plethora of below average partners on a non-playoff team since 2015.

He can still skate very well too.

Again, not a great target but if the Hawks eat some of the cap it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

If we are still going all-in with this core players with his post season experience can be pretty underrated.

Hell, look at Montreal. Added a bunch of former cup winners and now they're in the final.

55 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

If we are still going all-in with this core players with his post season experience can be pretty underrated.

Hell, look at Montreal. Added a bunch of former cup winners and now they're in the final.

Yes but surely not at his age.  Keith is past his best before date.  He even didn't score a full season.

Sounds like Friedman is speculating it’s Seattle that is interested in Keith and maybe even to make him the first captain. 

if true, hard to believe they would be interested in both Keith and Gio. 

Friedman has mentioned the possibility of Seattle flipping Gio if they were to take him. He even mentioned EDM as a landing spot. Gross

13 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Friedman has mentioned the possibility of Seattle flipping Gio if they were to take him. He even mentioned EDM as a landing spot. Gross

Thats okay. Wasnt planning on sleeping tonight anyway 🙃

23 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Thats okay. Wasnt planning on sleeping tonight anyway 🙃

He has a 12 team No Trade list. I would imagine Edmonton is on it