The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't know how Sigalet is being blamed in the development stages.  Since 2014 he's been the goaltending coach for the Flames, that year MacDonald was drafted and Gillies was still in college.  It's not like part of his job then was to coach either of them, on top of the goalies currently on the roster.  Same once they got to the minors.  He really only worked with MacDonald the little bit he was in camp, same with Parsons, and Gillies had a little more time but still only around 2 months with the big club.  Again I don't claim Sigalet was an awesome coach or anything, I just feel that we can't blame him for the prospects as he had little time to work with any of them, perhaps we need to stay on top of the minor league coaching.

In the past I'd say the Flames did a pretty decent job at the minor league level.  There was just a massive roadblock for any prospect as KIpper needed to play 76 games a year, but looking back all of Krahn, McElhinney, Keeltey and Irving showed decently in the minors, but who would've known McElhinney would struggle so much going long stretches without starts and only getting the 2nd half's of back to backs when the team was one of the older teams in the league.  I can at least say I was happy for him now with 2 rings as I felt he got a really raw deal here.

Yup, I definitely wasn't blaming Sigalet. I think Peeps mentioned him in his response. I just think that it's a tough one. 

When I see Travel's Wishlist. I just can't see how BT can fill all of it. I just can't see the Flames being in on Eichel either. 

Even the 1b or 2 G is a hard fill. I think we can, but I don't know if we want to fill it with anything over 2. 

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/new-york-rangers-top-trade-targets-eichel-kuznetsov-monahan-and-stamkos/

This article thinks,

To Rangers,

Sean Monahan

To Flames,

Filip Chytil

Zac Jones

Boy, is this what the NHL thinks of Monahan's value?

I would ...consider... the deal.    More for Zac Jones.  I am just not confident in the hip surgery.  Unfortunate that everyone involved is LHS.   But Zac Jones is a high potential D.

To answer your question though...I think yes in a way.   Without question we rank Monahan higher here than he is.   And likewise they are a bit high on their own prospects.

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/new-york-rangers-top-trade-targets-eichel-kuznetsov-monahan-and-stamkos/

This article thinks,

To Rangers,

Sean Monahan

To Flames,

Filip Chytil

Zac Jones

I like Chytil and Zac Jones is a good prospect. If the Flames could get a pick, I would be fine with that hypothetical deal.

If the Flames were willing to rebuild, it makes a ton of sense. I think they'll look for a 1 for 1 hockey trade though, like a Monahan for Tarasenko, something like that

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I would ...consider... the deal.    More for Zac Jones.  I am just not confident in the hip surgery.  Unfortunate that everyone involved is LHS.   But Zac Jones is a high potential D.

To answer your question though...I think yes in a way.   Without question we rank Monahan higher here than he is.   And likewise they are a bit high on their own prospects.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This article thinks,

To Rangers,

Sean Monahan

To Flames,

Filip Chytil

Zac Jones

I don't think Monahan playing through a bunch of injuries has done his worth any favours. And, he's going to learn real quick that playing through injury doesn't do himself any either. Sure he is sacrificing for the team, but if he's not productive, the team isn't going to sacrifice any time waiting for him to come around. The bigger sacrifice , or better sacrifice would have been shutting him down, and if the team let him play through things, it goes to show what they actually think of him, or his future worth to the team. It's now, now later.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This article thinks,

To Rangers,

Sean Monahan

To Flames,

Filip Chytil

Zac Jones

id be pretty happy with that deal actually and honestly that trade is better than I would have expected. Your getting younger, faster, more upside and the best thing is your saving a bunch of cap space. If the flames trade Monahan I would assume they would need to take on a bunch of money in return so if they can get some good young assets without doing that, that’s a big win for me. 
Not big on Jones but there is upside there that is enticing but I do like Chytil. I think a Chytil could be ok the cusp of being a really good two way center. Not sure the gap from Monahan to a Chytil is as big as it looks on paper. 

• Like 2

From Elliott’s 31 thoughts:

Calgary has begun extension discussion with Johnny Gaudreau. This is purely my guess, but Flames probably have to jump over Matthew Tkachuk’s $7 million per season. He’s at $6.75 million now.

There were rumours Jack Eichel backed away from the disc replacement surgery and would consider a fusion instead, but several sources refuted that. Not true. There was a time I thought a trade might happen sooner rather than later, but after the expansion draft looks more likely. Who’s in there? My guess is Anaheim, Calgary, Minnesota and Vegas, with Boston, the Rangers and possibly Los Angeles on the periphery.

I’m not sure I like JH much higher than Chucky’s $7mil. Especially if there’s term attached. He’s a prime candidate to move IMO. At least the discussions have started and BT will know where JH’s camp stands. That’ll make any decisions about his future with us clear. 

Happy to see we may still be in the mix for Eichel. Francis’ articles calling it a pipe dream is the result of him comparing LA’s prospect pool to ours. He fails to recognize we have a bunch of 20-somethings on the roster that could move. Buffalo isn’t taking a hard stance on rebuilding through the draft or with prospects. They’ve asked for 25 year olds already to help expedite the process. 

• Like 1

Just now, lou44291 said:

Calgary has begun extension discussion with Johnny Gaudreau. This is purely my guess, but Flames probably have to jump over Matthew Tkachuk’s $7 million per season. He’s at $6.75 million now.

There were rumours Jack Eichel backed away from the disc replacement surgery and would consider a fusion instead, but several sources refuted that. Not true. There was a time I thought a trade might happen sooner rather than later, but after the expansion draft looks more likely. Who’s in there? My guess is Anaheim, Calgary, Minnesota and Vegas, with Boston, the Rangers and possibly Los Angeles on the periphery.

I’m not sure I like JH much higher than Chucky’s $7mil. Especially if there’s term attached. He’s a prime candidate to move IMO. At least the discussions have started and BT will know where JH’s camp stands. That’ll make any decisions about his future with us clear. 

Happy to see we may still be in the mix for Eichel. Francis’ articles calling it a pipe dream is the result of him comparing LA’s prospect pool to ours. He fails to recognize we have a bunch of 20-somethings on the roster that could move. Buffalo isn’t taking a hard stance on rebuilding through the draft or with prospects. They’ve asked for 25 year olds already to help expedite the process. 

Here's how I see the teams that Friedman mentioned.

ANA- He mentioned on 960 yesterday that Buffalo wants the 3rd overall pick +. We'll see what happens prior to expansion, but the closer it gets to draft day, the less likely I see ANA moving that pick. This is the time of the year where teams fall in love with the prospects they will draft. 

MIN- They have two prospects in Boldy and Rossi that are likely better than any kids the Flames can offer. I would wonder how the Sabres feel about Rossi though, they picked Quinn over Rossi. They also have two later 1st's this season. I

VGK- Krebs and Brisson are pretty similar prospects to Zary/Pelletier. Vegas needs to jump through a lot of hoops to make this happen. They also have a lot of NTC's, and like TB, nobody wants to leave that team. 

BOS- I think they have almost no shot at landing Eichel. First of all, why traden him in division? Second, they have spent so much draft capital trying to win-now. I struggle to see how they get it done. 

NYR- They could get it done, but I have a hard time seeing BUF sending him cross-state. Probably takes Lafreniere for the Sabres to send him there.

LA- I don't see them doing it. Byfield may well be better than Eichel. I also don't see the Kings spending 30mill on 3 players. 

I actually think the Flames have a shot at Eichel, unlike others. 

- Aside from ANA, they can offer the Sabres the highest 1st of any of those teams. Again, I'm not convinced ANA is moving the 3rd pick, we'll see though. 

- In the 21 and 22 draft Calgary has 9 picks in the first 3 rounds. Most of any team that Elliotte mentioned.

BOS has 4

ANA has 6

MIN has 8

VGK has 5

NYR has 6.

If Buffalo wants to truly tear it down, the Flames certainly have the ability for BUF to stock up on top 100 picks. 

Then there's Tkachuk. While I don't think Tkachuk fits with the Sabres trajectory, if they acquired him, they are getting a heck of an asset.

If the Sabres were to flip Tkachuk, they could get even more assets. I think the interest in Tkachuk would be very high.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

I’m not sure I like JH much higher than Chucky’s $7mil. Especially if there’s term attached. He’s a prime candidate to move IMO. At least the discussions have started and BT will know where JH’s camp stands. That’ll make any decisions about his future with us clear. 

From the same article:

The Sabres are looking for youth. High-level prospects and picks. The complicating part is Buffalo’s been very careful with Eichel’s medical records. They want to make sure trading partners are serious before allowing access.

Doesn't sound like they are after 25 year olds.  They need to embrace reality nothing they can receive in this trade can help them compete in the division with Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Florida and even Montreal today.  They are probably behind Ottawa and Detroit in terms of rebuilding.  The best they can do is start fresh and grow as Boston will likely head for a decline soonish, followed by Tampa then the rest.  

I am not convinced that Eichel is the answer, or even a player the Flames should target. There are pros and cons to acquiring him, and I think the cons outweigh the pros. Some have already been discussed, but let’s put them together to see what is what. **note** I consider asset management to be far more important than a name to put butts in seats.

Eichel Pros

Talented player (career almost point per game) *on an overall bad team

Good size (6’2, 213)

Young

Gets more goals and points 5v5 than PP

Wants to be traded

Eichel Cons

Cap hit 10 mil for next 5 years

Career -69

Career 44.1% face offs

Neck injury requiring surgery (does this cause style change due to mental)

Cost to acquire 

If we compare stats over the last 6 seasons Monahan has more goals except in 19/20 than Eichel. Even adjusting for age, Monahan has a slight edge in goals. Other than 19/20 Monahan has better +/-, Monahan is typically above 50% face offs. Eichel holds a slight edge in points. Monahan has more games played each year, considering his injuries that says something about Eichel and injuries.

Eichel has slightly better offensive stats than Tkachuk, though top line vs mostly 2nd line. Eichel has more offence than Lindholm (who is consistently improving here) but Lindholm is far better at face offs and +/-. So the question really is: is Eichel that much better than what we have especially considering his cap hit?

While Eichel is a talented young player, I don’t see him moving the needle enough to cover for what is being sent back, or missed out on due to his cap hit. Due to his poor FO% the team is constantly chasing the puck rather than playing with it.

With respect to injury, how long will recovery take? Will he have it in the back of his mind that he needs to better protect his body which changes his game?

For the same reason I consider moving Tkachuk due to upcoming cap hit, I don’t think Eichel at 10 mil is good asset management.

Buffalo is asking a steep price for Eichel. At least a very good young top 6 current forward or top 4 D, 1 very good prospect and a 1st round pick. It may likely even be more than that. Something like:

1 of Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, or Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson 

+
1 of Pelletier, Zary

+
First round

Depending on the players, it may not be enough. An article I read this morning says Buffalo is looking at Cozens, Middlestat and Dahlin as the core they plan to build around.

For these reasons, I just don’t see Eichel as the answer. He may be a reasonable move for right now, but would cause big issues in the future.

Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

From the same article:

Doesn't sound like they are after 25 year olds.  They need to embrace reality nothing they can receive in this trade can help them compete in the division with Tampa, Boston, Toronto, Florida and even Montreal today.  They are probably behind Ottawa and Detroit in terms of rebuilding.  The best they can do is start fresh and grow as Boston will likely head for a decline soonish, followed by Tampa then the rest.  

The mention of "Youth" in the quote you provided refers to this leaked ask by GM Kevyn Adams of the Buffalo Sabres:

Those components include a top-six center 25-year-old or younger, a top-four defenseman 25-or-young, a first-round pick and various prospects. The astronomical ask has teams backing off and thinking Adams has misread the market on what other GMs are willing to pay for a player who is elite, but also banged up.The executive said:

“I get that Kevyn is in a really tough spot and needs to make sure he can get as close to Jack’s worth as possible, but this is just crazy. … In this market and with so many teams trying to build from within because of the cap, how is he going to get that? Then, you don’t even know how Jack’s back will hold up.”
Asking Price For Jack Eichel “Just Crazy” Says NHL Executive | Yardbarker
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I am not convinced that Eichel is the answer, or even a player the Flames should target. There are pros and cons to acquiring him, and I think the cons outweigh the pros. Some have already been discussed, but let’s put them together to see what is what. **note** I consider asset management to be far more important than a name to put butts in seats.

Eichel Pros

Good size (6’2, 213)

Young

Wants to be traded

Eichel Cons

Career -69

Career 44.1% face offs

Cost to acquire 

If we compare stats over the last 6 seasons Monahan has more goals except in 19/20 than Eichel. Even adjusting for age, Monahan has a slight edge in goals. Other than 19/20 Monahan has better +/-, Monahan is typically above 50% face offs. Eichel holds a slight edge in points. Monahan has more games played each year, considering his injuries that says something about Eichel and injuries.

Eichel has slightly better offensive stats than Tkachuk, though top line vs mostly 2nd line. Eichel has more offence than Lindholm (who is consistently improving here) but Lindholm is far better at face offs and +/-. So the question really is: is Eichel that much better than what we have especially considering his cap hit?

While Eichel is a talented young player, I don’t see him moving the needle enough to cover for what is being sent back, or missed out on due to his cap hit. Due to his poor FO% the team is constantly chasing the puck rather than playing with it.

With respect to injury, how long will recovery take? Will he have it in the back of his mind that he needs to better protect his body which changes his game?

For the same reason I consider moving Tkachuk due to upcoming cap hit, I don’t think Eichel at 10 mil is good asset management.

Buffalo is asking a steep price for Eichel. At least a very good young top 6 current forward or top 4 D, 1 very good prospect and a 1st round pick. It may likely even be more than that. Something like:

1 of Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, or Hanifin, Valimaki, Andersson 

+
1 of Pelletier, Zary

+
First round

Depending on the players, it may not be enough. An article I read this morning says Buffalo is looking at Cozens, Middlestat and Dahlin as the core they plan to build around.

For these reasons, I just don’t see Eichel as the answer. He may be a reasonable move for right now, but would cause big issues in the future.

Just my thoughts.

You can include me in the no to JE movement, for exactly the reasons you stated.

23 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Eichel Pros

Good size (6’2, 213)

Young

Wants to be traded

Eichel Cons

Career -69

Career 44.1% face offs

Cost to acquire 

Just my thoughts.

I always appreciate your posts Bosn. They're well thought out and supported by various means. I'm not saying Eichel is going to save this team, but I am saying Mony and Johnny aren't going to. Flat cap, covid, etc, etc. there are many reasons why change and player movement are especially difficult right now. But change is necessary for this team unless we're content watching what we've watched for the past X seasons... We've all come to the conclusion that the Flames aren't going to burn it down and rebuild, right? So, just like a change of scenery and change of linemates can rejuvenate other players, I see and hope that's what would happen with Jack here. Change for the sake of change is a fool's game for sure, but I wouldn't categorize a player of Jack's potential being foolish in this regard. What else is out there in the C position that would help this team? <- not rhetorical, I have no idea if there's something else out there. Bottom line is I want players that are motivated to win it all. I see that fire in Jack, and I don't see it in Mony or Johnny, among others on this team. 

Plus, Jack would likely love the challenge to compete against 1st overall draft buddy McDavid. And those are my thoughts. :)

3 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Well, it all depends on term right?  5-6 years at 7.75 isn't bad and might not get it done, but it;s reasonable.

He's only a prime candidate to move because he has the most value, except maybe Tkachuk.

There are a few trades/moves I would consider to shake up the team that don't involve those two players.

Unfortunately, the only way we get Eichel is with Tkachuk.

1) Move Monahan to a team needing a 1/2 C.  Not that I would do it, but EDM has no #2C.  They can use Nuge but don't.  They have McD and Drai but play them as a unit.  the return doesn't need to be a #2C, as we have needs elsewhere.  If we get Eichel, there will be a lot of teams looking.  A top 6 wing or younger player on the cusp, plus a D would be a good return.  The Chytil/Jones suggestion is interesting.  Move Lindholm to RW, then you have Johnny and Mange as your LW.  Maybe that allow them to use Dube in the right top 6 situation.

2) Move Gio.  As much as this pains me to do, it has to happen to rebuild the D.  Should take place after the expansion draft, if he's not selected.  At worst, it happens in FA when teams are left wanting.  We should be looking at LD available in FA.  Not getting a Gio replacement, but we should be looking at a top 4 D if any are to be had.

3) Re-sign Ryan after expansion draft.  Low cap hit for 3 years.    

The score posted that the sharks are shopping Lebanc. I’ve been a fan of his in the past, but I’m not sure I like him at his current contract. He’s making $4.75 now and has 3 years remaining. He’s 25 and is a former linemate of mangiapane’s. He didn’t put up many points last year and has been largely used as a RW in SJ despite being drafted as a C. Yes, he is a right shot. Just putting this out there since it’s a player we’ve discussed in the past. Maybe he’s a target for RW and can take draws. Not sure. Oh, the sharks are preferably looking for an NHL player in return, but would accept picks for this draft apparently. 

59 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

The score posted that the sharks are shopping Lebanc. I’ve been a fan of his in the past, but I’m not sure I like him at his current contract. He’s making $4.75 now and has 3 years remaining. He’s 25 and is a former linemate of mangiapane’s. He didn’t put up many points last year and has been largely used as a RW in SJ despite being drafted as a C. Yes, he is a right shot. Just putting this out there since it’s a player we’ve discussed in the past. Maybe he’s a target for RW and can take draws. Not sure. Oh, the sharks are preferably looking for an NHL player in return, but would accept picks for this draft apparently. 

Yes to the player, but don't like the contract.

SJ has turned into a cesspool.

A trade of picks makes sense, but I don't think we can take on salary like that without sending some the other way.

I just don't see any player that makes enough that makes sense to move.

Lucic?  Sure, but he waived his NMC for the expansion; would be wrong to use it to trade for another purpose.

TBH, I don't want to trade Lucic to the west anyway.

How about trading Backlund or Monahan to ARI for Schmaltz ($1m retained) and Garland.

Probably would need to be Monahan.

They get closer to having a #1C.

The real asset is Garland, while Schmaltz could slot in at C or play RW.

3 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Wow after he took a paycut of the century to help the Sharks stay under the cap two years ago, they do this to him now?

I like Lebanc but I feel he's too similar to a blend of Mangiapane, Dube, and to some degree Gaudreau.  We don't need more... Except that RHS.

To me, he's someone if he has a pure play making Center that he has such a good shot and finish.  I like him better than Chytil for Monahan so... I'd rather Labanc.

8 hours ago, bosn111 said:

I am not convinced that Eichel is the answer, or even a player the Flames should target. 

There exist no answer via trade that will put the Flames over the top. It's all management and ownership delusion.  Refusal to rebuild properly and admit the previous rebuild failed.

The end.

9 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Sadly, the right players for the Flames to target are exactly, Dahlin, Cozens, and Mittelstadt.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Here's how I see the teams that Friedman mentioned.

ANA- He mentioned on 960 yesterday that Buffalo wants the 3rd overall pick +. We'll see what happens prior to expansion, but the closer it gets to draft day, the less likely I see ANA moving that pick. This is the time of the year where teams fall in love with the prospects they will draft. 

MIN- They have two prospects in Boldy and Rossi that are likely better than any kids the Flames can offer. I would wonder how the Sabres feel about Rossi though, they picked Quinn over Rossi. They also have two later 1st's this season. I

VGK- Krebs and Brisson are pretty similar prospects to Zary/Pelletier. Vegas needs to jump through a lot of hoops to make this happen. They also have a lot of NTC's, and like TB, nobody wants to leave that team. 

BOS- I think they have almost no shot at landing Eichel. First of all, why traden him in division? Second, they have spent so much draft capital trying to win-now. I struggle to see how they get it done. 

NYR- They could get it done, but I have a hard time seeing BUF sending him cross-state. Probably takes Lafreniere for the Sabres to send him there.

LA- I don't see them doing it. Byfield may well be better than Eichel. I also don't see the Kings spending 30mill on 3 players. 

I actually think the Flames have a shot at Eichel, unlike others. 

- Aside from ANA, they can offer the Sabres the highest 1st of any of those teams. Again, I'm not convinced ANA is moving the 3rd pick, we'll see though. 

- In the 21 and 22 draft Calgary has 9 picks in the first 3 rounds. Most of any team that Elliotte mentioned.

BOS has 4

ANA has 6

MIN has 8

VGK has 5

NYR has 6.

If Buffalo wants to truly tear it down, the Flames certainly have the ability for BUF to stock up on top 100 picks. 

Then there's Tkachuk. While I don't think Tkachuk fits with the Sabres trajectory, if they acquired him, they are getting a heck of an asset.

If the Sabres were to flip Tkachuk, they could get even more assets. I think the interest in Tkachuk would be very high.

I agree about ANA and mostly based on where their team is at.  Which is to say, they are still 2 years away from reaching the playoffs again.  Their young guns are coming along but they still need time.  It's best for them to pick #3 and develop Zegras, Drysdale, etc.

BOS and VGK doesn't make sense because of the roster surgery they will have to do.

MIN, NYR, and the Flames, yes.  All three should be all in.  MIN and NYR have more pieces to give than the Flames.  The best we can do is Tkachuk + Zary + 12th Overall.  We can certainly be outdone by simply Rossi or Lafreniere being a piece.  Absolutely, Gaudreau with 1-year to UFA doesn't get it done.  Monahan also has really low trade value.  Tkachuk is the only piece that moves the needle for us.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I agree about ANA and mostly based on where their team is at.  Which is to say, they are still 2 years away from reaching the playoffs again.  Their young guns are coming along but they still need time.  It's best for them to pick #3 and develop Zegras, Drysdale, etc.

BOS and VGK doesn't make sense because of the roster surgery they will have to do.

MIN, NYR, and the Flames, yes.  All three should be all in.  MIN and NYR have more pieces to give than the Flames.  The best we can do is Tkachuk + Zary + 12th Overall.  We can certainly be outdone by simply Rossi or Lafreniere being a piece.  Absolutely, Gaudreau with 1-year to UFA doesn't get it done.  Monahan also has really low trade value.  Tkachuk is the only piece that moves the needle for us.

I think it makes so little sense for a trade with NY.

At the very least they should have to overpay.

They are not giving up on Lafrenier or Kakko.

Fitting Eichel in this year not so difficult, but next year Fox and trying to have enough signed to be competetive other than a top 6.

So, assuming we get Eichel for Tkachuk + Zary + 12th.

Have we improved that much?

Have 3 possible top 6 C, but either one or none top 6 RW.

And we have not improved the D at all.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

So, assuming we get Eichel for Tkachuk + Zary + 12th.

Have we improved that much?

Have 3 possible top 6 C, but either one or none top 6 RW.

And we have not improved the D at all.

No reasonable trade will help us win the Cup.  We have to rebuild.  But we are not rebuilding so just try something.  Get the #1 Center.  It's the most important position other than the Goalie.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think it makes so little sense for a trade with NY.

At the very least they should have to overpay.

They are not giving up on Lafrenier or Kakko.

Fitting Eichel in this year not so difficult, but next year Fox and trying to have enough signed to be competetive other than a top 6.

So then we are up against MIN,

Fiala + Rossi + 22nd Overall

Tkachuk + Zary + 12th Overall

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

No reasonable trade will help us win the Cup.  We have to rebuild.  But we are not rebuilding so just try something.  Get the #1 Center.  It's the most important position other than the Goalie.

I would argue that D comes before C, except in the alphabet.

Gio's best years helped us score a ton, but still left us wanting on the defensive side.

Maybe that's monahan's best use.

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So then we are up against MIN,

Fiala + Rossi + 22nd Overall

Tkachuk + Zary + 12th Overall

That's not even close to the same value.

Rossi is a fantastic talent, but not enough to be higher than Tkachuk and 12th over Fiala and 22nd 25th.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Thats alot of money and picks/futures to "just try something".  I hope it hasnt come to that yet.