Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

I would argue that D comes before C, except in the alphabet.

Gio's best years helped us score a ton, but still left us wanting on the defensive side.

Maybe that's monahan's best use.

 

 

That's not even close to the same value.

Rossi is a fantastic talent, but not enough to be higher than Tkachuk and 12th over Fiala and 22nd 25th.

 

 

Ooops, Minny has two picks; 21st and 25th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Thats alot of money and picks/futures to "just try something".  I hope it hasnt come to that yet.

 

If it turned out to be Tkachuk + Zary + 12th, then that is a reasonbable gamble for a top C.

Especially if the talk about Tkachuk has any basis in truth.

You know how hard it is to deal with Tkachuk's for contracts.

As well, he may be an issue with current leadership.

If he isn't your future, then you need to deal from a position of strength.

Buffalo blew it with Eichel and Reinhart.

Same with STL and Tarasenko.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Thats alot of money and picks/futures to "just try something".  I hope it hasnt come to that yet.

 

Only real lasting difference we can make is to "rebuild/retool"...like, go young and build through the draft again.  But we won't do that so.  It has come to that because we want to be literal Cup contenders this coming season.  No, not just make the playoffs.  We want to be winning the Cup.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Ooops, Minny has two picks; 21st and 25th.

 

Yups, MIN can put both of them on the table for Eichel.  MIN has more options to offer than the Flames who's only real game changer is Tkachuk.  I think Rossi has a higher ceiling and potential #1 Center... but BUF had a chance to draft him last year and passed so.  Maybe BUF is not that high on Rossi.  Maybe they want Matthew Boldy instead.  Fiala gives the Sabres immediate help and his point totals in the past two seasons is not far off from Tkachuk.  Tkachuk's next contract could be $8.5-mil or something while Fiala may be had on long term $5.5-mil.

 

Anyways, if the Flames are willing to put Tkachuk into the trade then we could theoretically be the front runners to land Eichel.  In a perfect world, Gaudreau + Monahan can get the job done somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, I like Lucic here, but I understand the cap hit argument many of you bring up. I had a thought for discussion. 

 

I see on capfriendly that Detroit has to find a way to ice a team next year (they’ve got very few players signed for next year, and a lot of cap space). Detroit has been the 3rd party “broker” on many deals where they retained salary - especially TBag Bay - so I would consider this a realistic possibility. Detroit also has to ensure they reach the salary floor, so they can’t ice all youth. What would it take for Detroit to take Looch from us? How about Backlund? Would they be interested in the young Dman that the flames refuse to play - Kyller? Bertuzzi is apparently open for trade discussion, are we interested?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Look, I like Lucic here, but I understand the cap hit argument many of you bring up. I had a thought for discussion. 

 

I see on capfriendly that Detroit has to find a way to ice a team next year (they’ve got very few players signed for next year, and a lot of cap space). Detroit has been the 3rd party “broker” on many deals where they retained salary - especially TBag Bay - so I would consider this a realistic possibility. Detroit also has to ensure they reach the salary floor, so they can’t ice all youth. What would it take for Detroit to take Looch from us? How about Backlund? Would they be interested in the young Dman that the flames refuse to play - Kyller? Bertuzzi is apparently open for trade discussion, are we interested?

 

Detroit is gunning for Shane Wright and/or Conor Bedard and honestly, we should too.  But we won't.

 

That said, Backlund won't get it done.  I assume DET wants prospects and picks.  There's no shortage of teams looking at DET to dump cap so we have competition.  Lucic + 2nd round pick for 7th round pick... something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

Yups, MIN can put both of them on the table for Eichel.  MIN has more options to offer than the Flames who's only real game changer is Tkachuk.  I think Rossi has a higher ceiling and potential #1 Center... but BUF had a chance to draft him last year and passed so.  Maybe BUF is not that high on Rossi.  Maybe they want Matthew Boldy instead.  Fiala gives the Sabres immediate help and his point totals in the past two seasons is not far off from Tkachuk.  Tkachuk's next contract could be $8.5-mil or something while Fiala may be had on long term $5.5-mil.

 

Anyways, if the Flames are willing to put Tkachuk into the trade then we could theoretically be the front runners to land Eichel.  In a perfect world, Gaudreau + Monahan can get the job done somehow.

 

Rossi isn't a guy they wantrd then and doesn;t do it for them now.

They scouted Hughes and picked him for a reason.

Minny could trade 2 x 1st plus, but that doesn't help them with the cap.

Kaprisov wants a home run deal, some reports suggest $9m.

Fiala needs a deal.

They need to get Seattle to not take Dumba.

 

I'm not saying Tkachuk does it for them, but he's the type of player they don't have.

I'm not convinced it's the right move for us, but there is logic to doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The_People1 said:

 

No reasonable trade will help us win the Cup.  We have to rebuild.  But we are not rebuilding so just try something.  Get the #1 Center.  It's the most important position other than the Goalie.

 

 

Judging by the recent cup winners and even Montreal... Not to say MTL's D has a number 1D. 

 

The thing that is most in common:

 

TBL #1C/D/G

MTL #1D/G

 

But most Cup winners have #1D/C/+good-great #1G.

 

But we saw what a good goalie could do, bringing MTL to the finals. Maybe he ran out of gas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

 

 

Judging by the recent cup winners and even Montreal... Not to say MTL's D has a number 1D. 

 

The thing that is most in common:

 

TBL #1C/D/G

MTL #1D/G

 

But most Cup winners have #1D/C/+good-great #1G.

 

But we saw what a good goalie could do, bringing MTL to the finals. Maybe he ran out of gas?

 

1000%.  #1C, #1D, and #1G (with the exception of Chicago recently).

 

The Flames only have a #1G now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Rossi isn't a guy they wantrd then and doesn;t do it for them now.

They scouted Hughes and picked him for a reason.

Minny could trade 2 x 1st plus, but that doesn't help them with the cap.

Kaprisov wants a home run deal, some reports suggest $9m.

Fiala needs a deal.

They need to get Seattle to not take Dumba.

 

I'm not saying Tkachuk does it for them, but he's the type of player they don't have.

I'm not convinced it's the right move for us, but there is logic to doing it.

 

BUF passes on Rossi but it doesn't mean they didn't want him... They just wanted Quinn more.  They could very well want Rossi who since the draft looks better than Quinn.  Getting Rossi could give them a second chance to make right.  But just speculation.

 

Rossi is a level of prospect the Flames don't have and if it's something BUF is looking for then the Flames have no chance to offer a better deal than MIN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Look, I like Lucic here, but I understand the cap hit argument many of you bring up. I had a thought for discussion. 

 

I see on capfriendly that Detroit has to find a way to ice a team next year (they’ve got very few players signed for next year, and a lot of cap space). Detroit has been the 3rd party “broker” on many deals where they retained salary - especially TBag Bay - so I would consider this a realistic possibility. Detroit also has to ensure they reach the salary floor, so they can’t ice all youth. What would it take for Detroit to take Looch from us? How about Backlund? Would they be interested in the young Dman that the flames refuse to play - Kyller? Bertuzzi is apparently open for trade discussion, are we interested?

Them not being on either of their lists is the starting point.  I don't think Detroit will have any issues getting to the floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

BUF passes on Rossi but it doesn't mean they didn't want him... They just wanted Quinn more.  They could very well want Rossi who since the draft looks better than Quinn.  Getting Rossi could give them a second chance to make right.  But just speculation.

 

Rossi is a level of prospect the Flames don't have and if it's something BUF is looking for then the Flames have no chance to offer a better deal than MIN.

 

Same as my speculation.  I think what Buffalo is trying to do does not fit the suggested Minny return.

Be harder to play against?

Get a little bigger?

Get a top pick?

 

I can find very little about his 2020/21 season.  So, I can't comment on his post draft status.  His WJC was not great.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI. Keith is an Oiler. Jones and a 3rd going the other way. The Oilers make me shake my head, and I laugh at the same time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

FYI. Keith is an Oiler. Jones and a 3rd going the other way. The Oilers make me shake my head, and I laugh at the same time. 

 

Watch them lose Keith to Seattle now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

FYI. Keith is an Oiler. Jones and a 3rd going the other way. The Oilers make me shake my head, and I laugh at the same time. 

 

Yeah, it was posted on the Oilers thread in NHL Discussion.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_People1 said:

 

Watch them lose Keith to Seattle now?

 

I think he can reclaim his NMC after the trade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I think he can reclaim his NMC after the trade.

 

 

Oh brutal.  So who are they protecting?  Nurse, Klefbom, and... Keith?  

 

Expose Bear, Larsson (UFA)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_People1 said:

 

Oh brutal.  So who are they protecting?  Nurse, Klefbom, and... Keith?  

 

Expose Bear, Larsson (UFA)

 

Nurse, Bear and possibly Klefbom or Keith, if he regains his NMC.

Expose Klefbom if his injury status is unclear.

Larsson would be exposed no doubt, but then again they are supposedly protecting Kassian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holland is supposedly trying to build through the draft.

 

Hard to do when they had no 2nd and 3rd in 2020, no 2nd and 3rd in 2021. They'll certainly dish their 2022 2nd at next TDL I imagine. 

 

I get that teams will always trade picks at the TDL for reinforcements, but they've received very little contribution from any of the players they've traded picks for. Neal is the best move they've made in that regard.

 

The Oilers are going to need cheap talent and that's so hard to find when you don't have many picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Holland is supposedly trying to build through the draft.

 

Hard to do when they had no 2nd and 3rd in 2020, no 2nd and 3rd in 2021. They'll certainly dish their 2022 2nd at next TDL I imagine. 

 

I get that teams will always trade picks at the TDL for reinforcements, but they've received very little contribution from any of the players they've traded picks for. Neal is the best move they've made in that regard.

 

The Oilers are going to need cheap talent and that's so hard to find when you don't have many picks. 

 

No way Oilers drafted John Marino in the 6th round and then traded him for a 6th round pick?  Lol Marino is a legit top 3 D... At times the Pens #1... RHS RD with high compete and some bite to his game.  Very similar to Rasmus Andersson.  He could legit be top 2 D for the Oilers right now.

 

What's the deal?  US College kid who wasn't ever signing with the Oilers so they got whatever they can?  ....like Adam Fox?  That's such a brutal trade for the Oilers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_People1 said:

 

No way Oilers drafted John Marino in the 6th round and then traded him for a 6th round pick?  Lol Marino is a legit top 3 D... At times the Pens #1... RHS RD with high compete and some bite to his game.  Very similar to Rasmus Andersson.  He could legit be top 2 D for the Oilers right now.

 

What's the deal?  US College kid who wasn't ever signing with the Oilers so they got whatever they can?  ....like Adam Fox?  That's such a brutal trade for the Oilers.

I believe he wasn't going to sign with the Oilers. If not, that's a huge mis-evaluation by Edmonton...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Holland is supposedly trying to build through the draft.

 

Hard to do when they had no 2nd and 3rd in 2020, no 2nd and 3rd in 2021. They'll certainly dish their 2022 2nd at next TDL I imagine. 

 

I get that teams will always trade picks at the TDL for reinforcements, but they've received very little contribution from any of the players they've traded picks for. Neal is the best move they've made in that regard.

 

The Oilers are going to need cheap talent and that's so hard to find when you don't have many picks. 

 

Only thing missing is the $750k they are paying Lucic.

And the 1.9m cap hit for 4 years they will have when they buy him out later this week.

The Neal trade was probably the best value, where they only had to use a 3rd and retained salary.  Neal scored the playoff clinching goal.....oops, never mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Holland is supposedly trying to build through the draft.

 

Hard to do when they had no 2nd and 3rd in 2020, no 2nd and 3rd in 2021. They'll certainly dish their 2022 2nd at next TDL I imagine. 

 

I get that teams will always trade picks at the TDL for reinforcements, but they've received very little contribution from any of the players they've traded picks for. Neal is the best move they've made in that regard.

 

The Oilers are going to need cheap talent and that's so hard to find when you don't have many picks. 


They can’t, they put it in the Keith deal today as q conditional pick. They can only move it if the other teams is willing to put a condition on it deferring.

I didn’t think he was a good hire but it’s astonishing how bad of a job he is doing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cross16 said:


They can’t, they put it in the Keith deal today as q conditional pick. They can only move it if the other teams is willing to put a condition on it deferring.

I didn’t think he was a good hire but it’s astonishing how bad of a job he is doing. 

No it isn't.lol

I'm a Wings fan, he couldn't leave fast enough.

Clearly in need of a rebuild:

Holland: let's give Frans Nielsen, Abdelkader and DeKeyser big overpays with contracts that make sure our cap is maxed

Yzerman: I don't care how many games you lose, this thing is off the tracks and our cap is a disaster

If this isn't night and day extremely poorly managed vs simply being a realist, I don't know what is.

Yzerman's my hero. He has this thing reigned right in and now he gets to build it back up. A lot of years waiting for anything to be excited about, from here on in it'll be fun to watch.

They hired Yzerman without firing Holland.

Thanks Oilers. No Wings fan is sad to see that disaster go.

 

edit: Seider will be a beauty of a #6 pick that no one agreed with. Jacob de la Rose turns into Robby Fabbri. Mantha turns into Vrana, Panik, a 2021 1st, a 2022 2nd. This is fun to watch.

Maybe he can fleece Tre next, I'd take Mony as a 2C. Gio too, the Wings have space, Gio would be a great mentor.

Yes the Flames have annoyed me that much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

No it isn't.lol

I'm a Wings fan, he couldn't leave fast enough.

Clearly in need of a rebuild:

Holland: let's give Frans Nielsen, Abdelkader and DeKeyser big overpays with contracts that make sure our cap is maxed

Yzerman: I don't care how many games you lose, this thing is off the tracks and our cap is a disaster

If this isn't night and day extremely poorly managed vs simply being a realist, I don't know what is.

Yzerman's my hero. He has this thing reigned right in and now he gets to build it back up. A lot of years waiting for anything to be excited about, from here on in it'll be fun to watch.

They hired Yzerman without firing Holland.

Thanks Oilers. No Wings fan is sad to see that disaster go.

 

edit: Seider will be a beauty of a #6 pick that no one agreed with. Jacob de la Rose turns into Robby Fabbri. Mantha turns into Vrana, Panik, a 2021 1st, a 2022 2nd. This is fun to watch.

Maybe he can fleece Tre next, I'd take Mony as a 2C. Gio too, the Wings have space, Gio would be a great mentor.

Yes the Flames have annoyed me that much...


don’t get me wrong I had low expectations. Holland is riding the coattails of the Wings success they he really had little to do with. He’s a very overrated hockey mind but at the same time he’s been arguable worse than Chiarelli. That’s surprising. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...