The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

They can’t, they put it in the Keith deal today as q conditional pick. They can only move it if the other teams is willing to put a condition on it deferring.

I didn’t think he was a good hire but it’s astonishing how bad of a job he is doing. 

What I find amazing is that, even with the negative blogs from some Oiler writers, the majority of fans posting have no issue with Keith, the trade terms or even the salary.  Some real denial going on there, spurred on by the Oiler Spin people.  They did pick up a forward prospect.

The real win was CHI moving a guy they needed to protect to a team that now has to protect him.

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

don’t get me wrong I had low expectations. Holland is riding the coattails of the Wings success they he really had little to do with. He’s a very overrated hockey mind but at the same time he’s been arguable worse than Chiarelli. That’s surprising. 

it’s amazing to me that these guys get jobs yet the average to smarter hockey fans would never do what some of these GMs do. 

I will keep BT if it means we don’t hire one of those guys…

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it’s amazing to me that these guys get jobs yet the average to smarter hockey fans would never do what some of these GMs do. 

I will keep BT if it means we don’t hire one of those guys…

The string of GM's is absolutely amazing.

Tambellini

MacT

Chiapet

Capmaster Kenny

Tamby was able to garner 3 x 1st overall, but drafted horribly.

MacT managed to guide the Oilers to getting Nurse, Draisaitl and McD.

Chia decimated the team and was allowed to re-sign Koskinen the day before he was fired.

Now Holland has overpaid for Kassian, traded for Neal, continues to give away picks in the 2nd and 3rd round and will protect Keith.

Not really trade related, but Minny buying out both Suter and Parise.

That's some kinda bad dead cap for equal contracts:

Each one is :

$2.381m in 2021

$6.371 in 2022

$7.371 in 2023

$7.371 in 2024

$0.833m for 4 other remaining years.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Each one is :

$2.381m in 2021

$6.371 in 2022

$7.371 in 2023

$7.371 in 2024

they must be getting ready to make a deal, so it could be trade related. Or it helps them with protection issues around the expansion draft.

maybe the price to pay on buyouts is better than losing assets to protect?

or they are getting ready for an  Eichel deal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

they must be getting ready to make a deal, so it could be trade related. Or it helps them with protection issues around the expansion draft.

maybe the price to pay on buyouts is better than losing assets to protect?

or they are getting ready for an  Eichel deal.

It screws them next year for Eichel.

The benefit is that both players had NMC's and both were 36 years old.

This is about the future; they can protect Dumba now and probably a forward they were not able to protect.

They have to re-sign Fiala and Kaprizov, which will chew up a lot of cap.

It helps them with expansion draft. They just cleared 2 spots and where likely to lose Dumba without this move. 

maybe they have more planned but I think this makes an Eichel trade look tough for them. 3 straight years of over 10 million in dead cap space starting next season makes it look awfully tough to be able to add Eichel 10mill in there. 

it’s maybe doable but they would have to have another another contract I think 

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It screws them next year for Eichel.

The benefit is that both players had NMC's and both were 36 years old.

This is about the future; they can protect Dumba now and probably a forward they were not able to protect.

They have to re-sign Fiala and Kaprizov, which will chew up a lot of cap.

Mmm ok well that makes no sense to buy them out before the expansion, seems keeping them and leaving both exposed would be the better move no? Or maybe they refused to waive the NMC and this is the results? 

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

Mmm ok well that makes no sense to buy them out before the expansion, seems keeping them and leaving both exposed would be the better move no? Or maybe they refused to waive the NMC and this is the results? 

The players had full control.

Why would they agree to be waived?  Just to help the GM out?

It's selfish on their part, but they gave their career to play there.

I believe there was a window of asking the players to waive the NMC, and since there was zero reports of that happening, it was likely not happening.

I don't mean they missed the window, just that it's down to a matter of days now.

With the spectre of a Gio claim by Seattle and the fact that Suter is free for the taking, does a short term deal for him make sense?

It's not like he played in the big cities that have decent winters; he played in Minny.

His production slipped, but he is a short term improvement over someone like Mackey or Kylington or Stone.

It would be a 35+ contract, so the term would have to be right, and likely bonus laden to offset the previous $6m he was due to make this year.

I'm not saying he deserves that much, but he's a vet that can still play.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

How many players can a team buyout during buyout window?  Why the Oilers don't buyout both Neal and Koskinen?

can buyout as many as your cap can handle. There is no limit. 

Could happen but big cheque to write and a long dead cap hit, in the case of Neal. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Each one is :

$2.381m in 2021

$6.371 in 2022

$7.371 in 2023

$7.371 in 2024

Boy I remember the day they both signed together in MIN, it was supposed to be the dawn of a new era.  Finally star players wanted to sign in Minny... Two hometown boys.  This was supposed to change MIN moving into the future.

In some ways, they did enjoy a boost but from the basement but only for a few playoff appearances in what has otherwise been a mediocre decade for them.

This is honestly one of the most daring and courageous buyouts we've ever seen.  Up to $14-mil dead cap space in the coming few years.  Wow.  For what?  For protecting Dumba?  Crazy.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Each one is :

$2.381m in 2021

$6.371 in 2022

$7.371 in 2023

$7.371 in 2024

Wat dey got jealous of Edmonton's slick moves?

cray GIF

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Boy I remember the day they both signed together in MIN, it was supposed to be the dawn of a new era.  Finally star players wanted to sign in Minny... Two hometown boys.  This was supposed to change MIN moving into the future.

In some ways, they did enjoy a boost but from the basement but only for a few playoff appearances in what has otherwise been a mediocre decade for them.

This is honestly one of the most daring and courageous buyouts we've ever seen.  Up to $14-mil dead cap space in the coming few years.  Wow.  For what?  For protecting Dumba?  Crazy.

I don't think it was just for Dumba.

You could swing a deal with Seattle for much less than that.

I do think it's telling that they never even approached either player to waive.

This sounds more to me a re-tool.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

With the spectre of a Gio claim by Seattle and the fact that Suter is free for the taking, does a short term deal for him make sense?

It's not like he played in the big cities that have decent winters; he played in Minny.

His production slipped, but he is a short term improvement over someone like Mackey or Kylington or Stone.

It would be a 35+ contract, so the term would have to be right, and likely bonus laden to offset the previous $6m he was due to make this year.

would Suter at 4.5 do it? What is he worth now? He was a huge minute eating  D for a long time. What is he like now? Maybe you do a 3M or less? I really just don’t know. But I thought he might be a target after I heard he was being bought out. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

No it wouldnt. That would be the perfct time to get younger and bigger and acquiring Suter would be a gain in cap but at lateral move on the ice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Nope not at all he’s gonna be 36 this year…we would be better served to keep Gio 

i think of Gio gets claimed, which may not happen, but it could, but if he dose, we should be looking at FA Montour (FLA) or someone similar 

Not a surprise that Parise was bought out.

Suter is a bit surprising. He's still a servicable player, albeit overpaid.

21/22 will really hurt the Wild. 12.7 of dead cap. Ouch

It would be so tough for them to squeeze in Eichel. They will need the Rossi's and Boldy's to play for cheap with up to 14.7 in dead cap through 2025. 

45 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

No it wouldnt. That would be the perfct time to get younger and bigger and acquiring Suter would be a gain in cap but at lateral move on the ice.

I see your point. I just wonder who we are going to get younger with? Kylington has never been given a chance to take the next step. And maybe that has been the problem. This organization has been in win now mode since the Hartley year. And then BT came in and expected to be a contender. They filled spots to win now and that doesn't allow young D like Kylington to play and make mistakes. Even though, I don't think he has been any different from any of the other D we've had, meaning, he has turnovers much like the others and was never really given any time to get used to playing the NHL. 

But then, did he earn it? Probably not. 

So I think the Flames would actually go after him. When you look at the last 5 games of the season. We were out of it and Sutter still didn't play any younger players> he's a win at all costs even when it does not count kind of guy. Oh well. We could have been drafting 10th instead. Would that have made any difference? Maybe? The Flames will say they ranked their pick (if we use the pick) in the top 10 anyway and we will all believe we got our guy anyway. 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Nope not at all he’s gonna be 36 this year…we would be better served to keep Gio 

i think of Gio gets claimed, which may not happen, but it could, but if he dose, we should be looking at FA Montour (FLA) or someone similar 

We should not be spending any assets to keep him. I think if we let Giordano go (expansion draft) then Suter is basically free and possibly cheaper. Is he a huge downgrade to Giordano? I haven't watched him play. On a few million it would be good. Is he good enough to play Top4 still? Maybe. If Valamaki isn't ready to take a step then we need something to go in that #4 slot if Giordano is taken or traded. If Giordano is taken, and we do sign someone like Suter, we would have about 3-4 extra in cap space maybe.

I can't think of any reason why Suter would want to come here.  My guess he takes peanuts to go to Vegas or Tampa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I can't think of any reason why Suter would want to come here.  My guess he takes peanuts to go to Vegas or Tampa.

Friedman said as much. Would be a surprise if Suter signs in Canada. Seems like a cheap signing with a Tampa or Colorado 

• Like 1