The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

15 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

So guys, with Danault not signing in MTL, do you think they’d be interested in Backlund as a replacement? Same role. Similar contract to what was offered to Danault. in return we ask for the rights to Danault and a pick? 

I think Backlund would waive to go to recent cup contenders. And I think it’s time we move on from him. 

I think the Flames will be interested in Danault, especially if they can do a Monahan trade.

Regarding Backlund, this is gonna sound crazy, but I don't see the Flames moving him. In fact, if Gio is indeed gone, I think Backlund has a chance at being the next captain of the Flames. I think Tkachuk would be the most likely, but depending on if the Flames see a future for him in CGY, it could very well be Backlund. 

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the Flames will be interested in Danault, especially if they can do a Monahan trade.

Regarding Backlund, this is gonna sound crazy, but I don't see the Flames moving him. In fact, if Gio is indeed gone, I think Backlund has a chance at being the next captain of the Flames. I think Tkachuk would be the most likely, but depending on if the Flames see a future for him in CGY, it could very well be Backlund. 

I have to admit it does sound a little crazy. His play is in decline, he’s getting older, and he has what 3 years left on his contract? I wouldn’t favour him as the next captain. But, I think MTL would be very interested in him. And maybe the pick becomes a better one if Danault doesn’t sign with us. I think there’s a trade there. 

38 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I have to admit it does sound a little crazy. His play is in decline, he’s getting older, and he has what 3 years left on his contract? I wouldn’t favour him as the next captain. But, I think MTL would be very interested in him. And maybe the pick becomes a better one if Danault doesn’t sign with us. I think there’s a trade there. 

I don't think it's likely, but I think he's got a chance at it. I'd guess he's #2 behid Tkachuk. 

Idk how it's decided, but if Sutter gets a say, I think I know who he's picking and it's not #19. He’s raves about Backlund and I could see his preference being the more veteran guy in Backlund.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They'll be revealed tomorrow at 8am mountain time!

Ok 🙏 thank you 

13 hours ago, lou44291 said:

So guys, with Danault not signing in MTL, do you think they’d be interested in Backlund as a replacement? Same role. Similar contract to what was offered to Danault. in return we ask for the rights to Danault and a pick? 

I think Backlund would waive to go to recent cup contenders. And I think it’s time we move on from him. 

If he waves I’d say deal him to any team who wants him…I mean obviously for a reasonable return…I’m definitely on board with moving Backlund and also for acquiring Danault…but not at the 5m marker…I wonder if Backlund would wave to go to Mlt or any of the final 4 teams? 

im not sure who Mlt has that we would want…Anderson for sure but he didn’t sign here last go around and it may cost Backlund + but I think Anderson also has a NTC/NMC so probably not…I’m not exactly sure who else I’d want from Mlt…is Backlund worth a 1st rounder? 

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Was surprised to see NYI protect Martin and Clutterbuck over Eberle and Bailey.

Gotta keep the expensive 4th line intact I guess.

Kinda hard to question a line up that made it one game away from the SCF.

6 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Kinda hard to question a line up that made it one game away from the SCF.

Absolutely true and they were only one game away vs TB a team well over the cap.  One could argue they faired much better than Mlt did against TB so that’s also saying something.

Ok this may be a crazy and out to lunch suggestion but what if…Landeskog hits the FA market…

and

Seattle takes Gio, and we allocate his salary (probably a little bit more maybe up 7.5 and this is a long shot) and sign Landeskog he’s listed as a Ctr so that may be a part fix for the Ctr issues

Gaudreau/Landeskog/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Monahan/????? (reinhart)
manji/Backlund/Dube (Rakel)
Lucic/Zary/Tuulola or Ruzica

maybe a trade or something to land Rakel as the 2nd line RW and POW! There is a pretty decent lineup, with not a whole ton of moves…or maybe even go crazy and give up a prospect or Dube  + 1st and land Reinhart…in that process I’d be all over it and move Rakel to 3rd line RW and Reinhart to 2nd line RW or Lindholm or whatever…it would open up a boat load of options through the top 3 lines!

and as for the D It’s more a matter of what we have left to work with in terms of trade assets and FA…but I’d be ok with moving another prospect or two to make a combo deal with Buf for Ristoloinen and Reinhart as it’s a decent top 4 fix and or replacement for Gio and both Ristoloinen and Reinhart are young enough that it shouldn’t hurt the future too much. Maybe also, if Dunn is available or some other 1/2 decent under 30 solid defensive D who can move the puck would be stellar, or try one of our own younger guys with Tanev…I’m worried he’s not going to hold up much longer though being over 30 and the way he plays his body may not hold out but for this year…

Hanifin/Ristoloinen 

Valimaki/Anderson (I see this duo being the next great D pairing)

Kylington or MacKey/Tanev

Over all that not a bad line up dispite a few misgivings I have with over 30 players, particularly Lucic who I think we are stuck with which I’m not upset with as a player just his crazy salary for the role he plays, Backlund who I think is starting to slow down and Tanev who I already addressed my concerns about.

the key here to all of this is a few trades and a major FA signing…who could in fact replace Gio as the C…which yes is an odd move but he’s a C who has also won a cup as the team C…so that holds a ton of weight in my eyes..anyway just spit balling here, and later after this season they could explore the options to trade Backlund, Tanev, Monahan and  Gaudreau …and possibly buying out Lucic? Or any combos there of.

Zach Hyman mutual interest in Calgary, Kevin Lebanc talk - NHL Rumors: Zach Hyman Possibilities Plus the San Jose Sharks | NHL Rumors

Also:

Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman is trying to create the roster space to be able to add Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones. They were trying to move RFA defenseman Nikita Zadorov.

NHL Rumors: Expansion, Calgary Flames, Tampa Bay Lightning and the Winnipeg Jets | NHL Rumors

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Gaudreau/Landeskog/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Monahan/????? (reinhart)
manji/Backlund/Dube (Rakel)
Lucic/Zary/Tuulola or Ruzica

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Hanifin/Ristoloinen 

Valimaki/Anderson (I see this duo being the next great D pairing)

Kylington or MacKey/Tanev

I just did a quick tally, and without Risto, you are at 76m ($7.5m Lande and $7m for Reinhart)

No backup, and only 18 players signed, without Rakell.

Landeskog is a valiant effort to improve the team, but it comes at a big expense elsewhere.

Are we really going to be able to pay him more than other teams with good cap situations?

Now saying all that, as soon as I signed Lande, I would be shipping out Backlund.

I would probably forgo the cost to get Reinhart and opt for a cheaper Rakell.

Whatever we have left, sign a good LD to play top 4 and a RD for 3rd pair.

Allow Valimaki to come into his own.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I just did a quick tally, and without Risto, you are at 76m ($7.5m Lande and $7m for Reinhart)

No backup, and only 18 players signed, without Rakell.

Landeskog is a valiant effort to improve the team, but it comes at a big expense elsewhere.

Are we really going to be able to pay him more than other teams with good cap situations?

Now saying all that, as soon as I signed Lande, I would be shipping out Backlund.

I would probably forgo the cost to get Reinhart and opt for a cheaper Rakell.

Whatever we have left, sign a good LD to play top 4 and a RD for 3rd pair.

Allow Valimaki to come into his own.

I didn’t bother with the cap…seems it didn’t matter TB was around that same amount…lol

but in any case, the point which you totally got, was to look at possibly viable option that are not Eichel, which giving his injury, cap hit and remains term could very well handcuff the team….yet again.

im still a massive fan of Reinhart, and he is a Cgy boy so I’m kinda thinking he may re-up at a home town discount.  He fits in so well on many levels in that he can play both Ctr and RW much like Lindholm and let’s be honest, Tachuck on LW and him on RW would make any Ctr seem like a star…

Risto on D is a nice to have if…maybe we can drop both Backlund and Lucic and I say nice to have mainly because I’m not confident that Tanev’s body can keep up the level of play past another season…he’s great and all, but he’s also gonna be 31 and playing at that intense level past 30, history shows (not just Tanev but all 30+) the body is only so good…Risto would be kinda an insurance maker 

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Zach Hyman mutual interest in Calgary, Kevin Lebanc talk - NHL Rumors: Zach Hyman Possibilities Plus the San Jose Sharks | NHL Rumors

Also:

Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman is trying to create the roster space to be able to add Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Seth Jones. They were trying to move RFA defenseman Nikita Zadorov.

NHL Rumors: Expansion, Calgary Flames, Tampa Bay Lightning and the Winnipeg Jets | NHL Rumors

Yup, this is the kinda stuff BT should be looking at, Zadorov could be a very nice add to the LD big too, fits the age zone of mid 20’s…RFA so either a bridge deal or something, QO seem like it would be 2m or less giving he was under 1m last few season? 

3 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Yup, this is the kinda stuff BT should be looking at, Zadorov could be a very nice add to the LD big too, fits the age zone of mid 20’s…RFA so either a bridge deal or something, QO seem like it would be 2m or less giving he was under 1m last few season? 

I'm not sure how QO's work honestly - maybe someone else has an idea? I think he made $3.2 last year... 

I do like his moxie - but he also appears to take a penalty every other game if my math is correct... still, some snarl on the backend is definitely needed. 

1 minute ago, lou44291 said:

I'm not sure how QO's work honestly - maybe someone else has an idea? I think he made $3.2 last year... 

Still that’s not bad, pretty sure that would put his QO at or below 4 which for a top 4 D is reasonable 

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

I do like his moxie - but he also appears to take a penalty every other game if my math is correct... still, some snarl on the backend is definitely needed. 

I think he is in the Tanev ballpark.

Maybe more considering what his age and usage to date.

I think he plays close to the edge, which I do tend to like.

If I'm reading his stats correctly, he had 74 blocks and 190 hits last season.  190 !!!!

Gio had 110 blocks and 51 hits.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/z/zadorni01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/giordma01.html

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he is in the Tanev ballpark.

Maybe more considering what his age and usage to date.

I think he plays close to the edge, which I do tend to like.

If I'm reading his stats correctly, he had 74 blocks and 190 hits last season.  190 !!!!

Gio had 110 blocks and 51 hits.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/z/zadorni01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/g/giordma01.html

Well if that’s the case we should definitely be liking at him if he’s available 

29 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Well if that’s the case we should definitely be liking at him if he’s available 

I think CHI would love to trade his rights in a perfect world.

I think they have given up on the player and tried to move him (read this, but don't verify it's true).

They probably don't want to lose him to Seattle for nothing, but not much they can do.

Hinistroza or Gaudette may get plucked, but that's just a guess.

Some potential LHD trade options

OEL- This one is a little scary. Big money, term and NMC at play here. Familiarity between the player and Flames front office though. It would likely be a fairly big deal with multiple pieces involved.

Schmidt- Hasn't worked in VAN. Big money and term too. VAN gave up a 3 to get him. I'd offer them a 4th, see how badly they want to move on from him. 

If Seattle takes Zadorov, that could be worth exploring. Probably costs a 2nd or 3rd. That's about what Vegas got when they moved their surplus of D

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Some potential LHD trade options

OEL- This one is a little scary. Big money, term and NMC at play here. Familiarity between the player and Flames front office though. It would likely be a fairly big deal with multiple pieces involved.

Schmidt- Hasn't worked in VAN. Big money and term too. VAN gave up a 3 to get him. I'd offer them a 4th, see how badly they want to move on from him. 

If Seattle takes Zadorov, that could be worth exploring. Probably costs a 2nd or 3rd. That's about what Vegas got when they moved their surplus of D

Edler fell off a cliff this season, and grabbed onto Schmidt on his way over.

Prior to VAN, he was about as productive as Hanifin.

Seems like a step down from Gio, so I don't like it too much.

If Seattle claimed Zadorov, I don't think we should pay a 2nd and a 3rd.

If he's not claimed, he should be cheaper to get from CHI.

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Tkachuk

Dube

Buffalo's choice of Zary or Pelletier

12th overall

Probably an additional pick. The Flames do have two 2022 2nds

I would do Monahan + Dube but not Tkachuk + Dube.  That's simply too expensive.

Just now, The_People1 said:

I would do Monahan + Dube but not Tkachuk + Dube.  That's simply too expensive.

I actually think Buffalo is probably asking for Tkachuk and Mangiapane as the two NHL pieces. They're asking for the moon for their franchise player