The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I've been reading we're in on Christian Dvorak.

BT's Arizona connection. Yes please.

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

https://flamesnation.ca/2021/07/21/report-flames-interested-in-kraken-forward-tyler-pitlick/

Flames rumoured to be interested in Pitlick. 1yr left at 1.75. The ask is probably a pick. Ideally a 5th. Otherwise I don't think the Flames should be too interested

Dvorak I get.

Pitlick?  Not for that money.

He's not even that good at PK.  Don't get it.

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

Oleksiak is gone as well…. Zadorov wasn’t my first choice, but man does that chicago article make me rethink myself. 

need to get us a big D that can play. 

I wanted Oleksiak too.  He played us tough in the Flames/Stars series.

Not sure where or how to get that big D.  We need to add some toughness.

I get the Pitlick interest. I don’t love the $ but RS, really good defensively, can forecheck and play hard, plus chip in the odd goal. Might not Pk, but he’s a prototype for what Sutter wants in his bottom 6 at 5 on 5. 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I've been reading we're in on Christian Dvorak.

BT's Arizona connection. Yes please.

Agreed. Between he and Schmaltz Arizona has a few players I think make sense for the flames. Both really good fits for Sutters style. 

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I wanted Oleksiak too.  He played us tough in the Flames/Stars series.

Not sure where or how to get that big D.  We need to add some toughness.

This is why I can't get on board of trading picks, you gotta get them through the draft. Sometimes it's easier said than done. But how many teams are really trading that toughness? I guess it happens, but I don't think it's as easy as we think to gain those proper depth players. A lot of the times those depth players go to contenders to win, so most of the time we get stuck with players other teams don't want. Example Reider... Tanev was a good sign. 

Pitlick looks to be a Flame. Compensation not yet known. The “mid round pick” quote is speculation 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pitlick looks to be a Flame. Compensation not yet known. The “mid round pick” quote is speculation 

Perfect. Seriously need to improve the bottom 6.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Building a 4th line perhaps.

Perhaps, we trade for him, then move him back to ARI as part of the deal for Dvorak and Garland.

Just kidding, though I would love to have those two players.

15 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Here goes Yzerman...Canes G Nedeljkovic for a 3rd rd pick and Jonathan Bernier(ufa rights)?? What the hell?lol

Wow, just brutal from Carolina.  Couldn't even get Detroits pick in the 3rd it was Vegas'.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Here goes Yzerman...Canes G Nedeljkovic for a 3rd rd pick and Jonathan Bernier(ufa rights)?? What the hell?lol

This has been one of the weirder off-seasons I can remember.

Landeskog possibly walking to UFA.

Goalies being traded.

Tarasenko being shopped and no takers.

Weber possibly done.

Players being allowed to talk to team in advance of UFA day.

Holland takes out his chequebook and spends like a drunken sailor.

Goes down the street and takes it out again.

Pitlick for a 2022 4th.  No salary retained.

Reasonable cost to obtain, but salary a bit high for my liking.

Pick up Dvorak for a 3rd + prospect and all will be forgiven.

I would even go with a 2nd + prospect for Reinhart.

Prefer to send some money back, but might not happen.

But the bigger need right now is a LD.  

Losing Gio means losing offence plus a top 4 D.

A shutdown/big presence guy is fine, but need some help.

Don’t mind that at all. Not ideal to be using draft picks to acquire depth players but the only other close option out there was Barclay Goodrow and look at the deal he just got. 

They probably have plans at forward and the extra year at over 4 million would have made things hard but this is a deal it would have been great for the Flames to do. Ghost is still useful so it’s basically 2 free picks. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Pitlick for a 2022 4th.  No salary retained.

Reasonable cost to obtain, but salary a bit high for my liking.

Pick up Dvorak for a 3rd + prospect and all will be forgiven.

I would even go with a 2nd + prospect for Reinhart.

Prefer to send some money back, but might not happen.

But the bigger need right now is a LD.  

Losing Gio means losing offence plus a top 4 D.

A shutdown/big presence guy is fine, but need some help.

A righty,lol. No problem with this at all. Good size, hard worker, good pker, may get 10-15 goals like our bottom 6 glut rarely ever do.

Kahun is not being qualified in EDM.

I think he was played too high and expected to be a 20 goal scorer, but he might not be a bad option in FA.

I doubt he gets much more than $1m.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

They probably have plans at forward and the extra year at over 4 million would have made things hard but this is a deal it would have been great for the Flames to do. Ghost is still useful so it’s basically 2 free picks. 

Well, we have to do something.  Not as big a fan of Ghost, but we do need a top 4 D.

LD should be a bit easier to fill, than a RD. 

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, we have to do something.  Not as big a fan of Ghost, but we do need a top 4 D.

LD should be a bit easier to fill, than a RD. 

When will Dahlin want out of Buffalo?

Nice to see bigger bodies added but BT needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat after letting Gio go for nothing - he is entering Wardo territory!

i love his response to E Francis when asked about Gio “we aren’t going to talk about that, it was difficult”……. Lots of guys getting paid what he does have “difficult jobs”  but the good ones get it done.  You sir are not getting it done!  You sir are on your last legs so you better start chasing rabbits!

we didn't lose Gio for nothing.

We just saved 6.75 of our cap and  BT stopped spending a 1st and a 3rd.

In a flatcap world trying to move Gio's at the deadline was probably not a viable option for any team.  And how are we yo know if he was being shopped or not.

What I have got out of this is what a class player, gentleman and team leader to the end Gio is.  I wish him every sucess I would not be averse us taking him back in 12 motnhs time on a smaller contract.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

interesting evaluation from the hurricanes. Clearly they don’t view him as a starter so be interesting to see how this one pans out. 

38 minutes ago, 89Again said:

Nice to see bigger bodies added but BT needs to pull a rabbit out of his hat after letting Gio go for nothing - he is entering Wardo territory!

i love his response to E Francis when asked about Gio “we aren’t going to talk about that, it was difficult”……. Lots of guys getting paid what he does have “difficult jobs”  but the good ones get it done.  You sir are not getting it done!  You sir are on your last legs so you better start chasing rabbits!

I'm not sure what you were expecting hi to say or do.

There is nothing to be gained by talking about the difficult process of letting your captain go, when the expected cost was something we could not afford.

What does he say?  Gio was hurt?  He cried?  What is the value in giving Francis anything to write about.

While I don't like a lot of things BT has done, we are not a basement team, even after the lousy return we got for HOF players.

Neal was a bad deal, but we got Gaudreau and Monahan for very reasonable deals.

We have two players that are core for a guy looking to sign elsewhere as a UFA and a player that may never play again.

Fox stung, but not being able to get him signed hurts more.

Holland has pooched the Oilers, and less fans there are complaining about the GM.

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

interesting evaluation from the hurricanes. Clearly they don’t view him as a starter so be interesting to see how this one pans out. 

Agreed, they weren't going over $1.5per for him. But he's still young and only a million per more than Smith. Tidy little prove it contract and hopefully last year wasn't an aberration.