Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:


salary would be my suspicion. I could see him wanting 7-8 on a long term deal. 

 

Would you bank on Hyman for 7 years or Reinhard for the same term.

Yes, about $2.5m in difference, but also for a much younger player.

In 5 years they will be cursing Hyman's contract, while Reinhard will still be productive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Would you bank on Hyman for 7 years or Reinhard for the same term.

Yes, about $2.5m in difference, but also for a much younger player.

In 5 years they will be cursing Hyman's contract, while Reinhard will still be productive.


we’ll a lot of factors. Does Reinhart want to sign long term in Edmonton? Does he want to test the market? It’s not as simple as being presented. 

 

the contract won’t be good but I’d actually argue Hyman is the better short term fit for the Oilers. Not advocating he’ll be worth his deal but he’s a really good fit in Edmonton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cross16 said:


we’ll a lot of factors. Does Reinhart want to sign long term in Edmonton? Does he want to test the market? It’s not as simple as being presented. 

 

the contract won’t be good but I’d actually argue Hyman is the better short term fit for the Oilers. Not advocating he’ll be worth his deal but he’s a really good fit in Edmonton. 

 

The question I have with his signing is, does EDM need another player for McDavid?

They have a top 3 that could just be Draisaitl-McD-Puljujarvi.

If shifting Puljujarvi to 2RW is all that happens, it's not that big an improvement.

If it's Hyman-McD-Puljujarvi and Nuge-Draisaitl-Yamamoto, then it's better 2 lines, but Yamamoto can't really carry the mail IMHO.

 

I don't really care ether way.

They improve their F, they still have gaping holes in depth and on D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

The question I have with his signing is, does EDM need another player for McDavid?

They have a top 3 that could just be Draisaitl-McD-Puljujarvi.

If shifting Puljujarvi to 2RW is all that happens, it's not that big an improvement.

If it's Hyman-McD-Puljujarvi and Nuge-Draisaitl-Yamamoto, then it's better 2 lines, but Yamamoto can't really carry the mail IMHO.

 

I don't really care ether way.

They improve their F, they still have gaping holes in depth and on D.


I think they do yes. They’ve fallen into the put a bunch of bad players with our elite talent in the hopes he makes them not bad mentality. I think to take the next step one of their needs is a player who can compliment McDavid. 
still plenty of holes elsewhere all I’m saying is I totally get the target and I do think it’s a good one. Still a bad contact though too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Reinhart went for the goalie +22 first round pick…we totally could have matched that and I’m ok with sending Wolf in that deal but the 22 draft being so deep and many solid forwards that could be NHL ready I’m thinking it may have been best to stay and pat on it…I’m pretty sure the 22 first rounder for Cgy will be at least 15 or higher and that pick could be better than Reinhart.

 

having said that, it looks kinda like Cgy is gonna just pay this out and hope drafting is strong enough to turn this team around in 3-4 years…guess we will have to wait and see .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

So Reinhart went for the goalie +22 first round pick…we totally could have matched that and I’m ok with sending Wolf in that deal but the 22 draft being so deep and many solid forwards that could be NHL ready I’m thinking it may have been best to stay and pat on it…I’m pretty sure the 22 first rounder for Cgy will be at least 15 or higher and that pick could be better than Reinhart.

 

having said that, it looks kinda like Cgy is gonna just pay this out and hope drafting is strong enough to turn this team around in 3-4 years…guess we will have to wait and see .

 

Saying that this early in the off-season seems so wacky.

There is obviously a lot of teams looking to re-tool a bit.

If we want to maximize value, we wait a bit.

Teams are going to miss out with the shallow UFA class.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Elliotte mentions he thinks Calgary, Anaheim and Minnesota are still in on Eichel. Could be others as well though


Yikes! Maybe a good way to keep Johnny here to have a #1C to play with. Just so worried about the price. 
 

likely next years 2022 1st rounder and I would bet it wouldn’t be Lotto protected.  Then we lose out and win the lotto we are screwed! 
 

I just can’t see it being worth it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, robrob74 said:


Yikes! Maybe a good way to keep Johnny here to have a #1C to play with. Just so worried about the price. 
 

likely next years 2022 1st rounder and I would bet it wouldn’t be Lotto protected.  Then we lose out and win the lotto we are screwed! 
 

I just can’t see it being worth it. 

Exactly, we aught to have gone after Reinhart, he’s more versatile can can play both Ctr and RW with a RS…we aught to have made that move before the draft and given up Wolf + 2021 1st…both as good or better return than what they got…

 

my major issues with Eichel are the Injury, cap hit and term plus the cost to get him…it’s really NOT worth it, but Reinhart would have been…we should be looking at other options now…there are some but other teams are scooping them up that’s the problem with BT he gets tunnel vision on one or two players and misses out on other and in some cases better options 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Exactly, we aught to have gone after Reinhart, he’s more versatile can can play both Ctr and RW with a RS…we aught to have made that move before the draft and given up Wolf + 2021 1st…both as good or better return than what they got…

 

my major issues with Eichel are the Injury, cap hit and term plus the cost to get him…it’s really NOT worth it, but Reinhart would have been…we should be looking at other options now…there are some but other teams are scooping them up that’s the problem with BT he gets tunnel vision on one or two players and misses out on other and in some cases better options 

Sometimes fans get more tunnel vision that the GMs do, your so committed to getting Reinhart, that even after he’s been moved and is no longer available you continue to suggest that he is the best option. I really like Sam, in fact I liked both of the Sam’s in Florida, I also am on your side that a trade for Eichel would be more detrimental than good to the long term success of the team. But to say it would’ve been so easy to move Wolf and our 1st is short sighted. Florida was able to make that move because they have a glut of goalies, good goalies. 
There are a lot of ways to improve this team, and sometimes the ones we as fans want don’t pan out, that doesn’t mean the GM is blinded by one or two players, if you truly believe that you know nothing of how hockey ops work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the camp that if the Flames can't acquire Eichel then they should just rebuild (argument is still there that they should rebuild anyway but I don't suspect that's on the table). They need a franchise player and they need more stars to be able to contend so if they can get Eichel then I think perhaps they could build a contender but without I just don't see it. I personally didn't see any value in trading for Reinhart, your going to give up a first rounder for a complimentary player who isn't going to move the needle? That's how middle of the pack teams stay middle of the pack. 

 

I get everyone is antsy for moves but if you want moves for the sake of moves then I present to your Chuck Fletcher's Philly Flyers. He's made a ton of moves and it's very debatable to say the team is better (i'd argue they are not).

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm in the camp that if the Flames can't acquire Eichel then they should just rebuild (argument is still there that they should rebuild anyway but I don't suspect that's on the table). They need a franchise player and they need more stars to be able to contend so if they can get Eichel then I think perhaps they could build a contender but without I just don't see it. I personally didn't see any value in trading for Reinhart, your going to give up a first rounder for a complimentary player who isn't going to move the needle? That's how middle of the pack teams stay middle of the pack. 

 

Eichel is about the best option we have to get a franchise player.

Losing Tkachuk would sting, but I am concerned about his growth as a player hitting the wall.

I could be wrong, but it seems like he isn't concerned about skating and will not improve that facet.

He's effective when he plays close to the edge, but sometimes has to back off too much to stay on the ice.

LW is an entirely replaceable position.

And Tkachuk is about the most expensive cap player we have or will have.

 

Our ability to improve on depth is hampered by cap space for Lucic (just the $5.25m for a 3rd liner) and the quality of prospects to choose from.

Trading a 1st for Reinhart didn't make sense to me.

I'm somewhat okay with trading a pick/prospect for Dunne, but that's because I think he may be a reasonable priced trade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the love for Eichel, but he's been with Buffalo for a while and they are still a dumpster fire. Why should it be any different here, especially minus the guys we would have to give up to get him?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I get the love for Eichel, but he's been with Buffalo for a while and they are still a dumpster fire. Why should it be any different here, especially minus the guys we would have to give up to get him?

 

That's my concern. He is disgruntled and I think it would take about 3-4 years to tool the team to suit him. And if it's a 1st rounder, then we have less to move the needle in those years. Feels like banging my head against the wall if that's what it's going to look like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

Sometimes fans get more tunnel vision that the GMs do, your so committed to getting Reinhart, that even after he’s been moved and is no longer available you continue to suggest that he is the best option. I really like Sam, in fact I liked both of the Sam’s in Florida, I also am on your side that a trade for Eichel would be more detrimental than good to the long term success of the team. But to say it would’ve been so easy to move Wolf and our 1st is short sighted. Florida was able to make that move because they have a glut of goalies, good goalies. 
There are a lot of ways to improve this team, and sometimes the ones we as fans want don’t pan out, that doesn’t mean the GM is blinded by one or two players, if you truly believe that you know nothing of how hockey ops work.

That was my point I was only trying to highlight the issue of missing out on Reihart vs Focusing in on Eichel 

 

the point is I do believe BT is hyper focused on a particular player or two and Eichel and Terensanko (sp?) from Stl seem to be on the front burner which are two players we really should not be looking at whatsoever…and if theses rumours are true this is why we have been missing out on better options for the past few years now…

 

I was and still am skeptic of Markstrom, so far he’s proved me right…I’m hopeful he will prove me wrong this year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

That was my point I was only trying to highlight the issue of missing out on Reihart vs Focusing in on Eichel 

 

the point is I do believe BT is hyper focused on a particular player or two and Eichel and Terensanko (sp?) from Stl seem to be on the front burner which are two players we really should not be looking at whatsoever…and if theses rumours are true this is why we have been missing out on better options for the past few years now…

 

I was and still am skeptic of Markstrom, so far he’s proved me right…I’m hopeful he will prove me wrong this year 

 

OF course it is just believing that he could be that way. The word is that he's in on everything and calling everyone... 

But I mean, it felt like he had tunnel vision in one or two of the last deadlines... Maybe the Zucker deal is what I am thinking of? We don't know the details so it's tough. I mean, we traded for him last minute and then didn't end up with anything. But again, no idea if we had a chance on anything else, or who nixed the deal. 

 

I think Pikey is saying that you're tunnelling in on Reinhart. I get the idea, he also wanted to come to the Flames. What I hope is that we can get competing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'm in the camp that if the Flames can't acquire Eichel then they should just rebuild (argument is still there that they should rebuild anyway but I don't suspect that's on the table). They need a franchise player and they need more stars to be able to contend so if they can get Eichel then I think perhaps they could build a contender but without I just don't see it. I personally didn't see any value in trading for Reinhart, your going to give up a first rounder for a complimentary player who isn't going to move the needle? That's how middle of the pack teams stay middle of the pack. 

 

I get everyone is antsy for moves but if you want moves for the sake of moves then I present to your Chuck Fletcher's Philly Flyers. He's made a ton of moves and it's very debatable to say the team is better (i'd argue they are not).

 

 

Yes but Eichel is not getting the team further…far too costly both in $ and in player assets and it’s a huge gamble with his injury 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ABC923 said:

I get the love for Eichel, but he's been with Buffalo for a while and they are still a dumpster fire. Why should it be any different here, especially minus the guys we would have to give up to get him?

 

Buffalo is a dumpster fire, so it would take a couple of Eichels to get them out of that situation.

Fancy stats black hole Risto.

Carter Hutton 1-10 last season.

Without Eichel, a very bleh team.

 

We underperformed quite a bit last year and still blew them out of the water.

Let say the cost was Tkachuk; we give up a decent scoring player for a guy that was over a point per game played, on a bad team.

Put another way, we trade a top line winger for a guy only 10 months older that is a true #1C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friedman said on 960 that he poked around this past weekend regarding Gaudreau. He didn't seem to think the Flames had Gaudreau in play.

 

Frank Seravalli on his Daily Faceoff Podcast said he thinks Gaudreau was available at the draft, but the Flames didn't get an offer they liked and expects the Flames will re-engage the Gaudreau camp regarding an extension.

 

Silly season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is this free agency can go both ways. We could do really well or Tre could sign his walking papers. There is more pressure this year than any other in my opinion. Too many what if regarding Tkachuk and Johnny. This year could be amazing or force a rebuild.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

All I can say is this free agency can go both ways. We could do really well or Tre could sign his walking papers. There is more pressure this year than any other in my opinion. Too many what if regarding Tkachuk and Johnny. This year could be amazing or force a rebuild.

 

Nice post.

 

This is certainly a big season for the Flames.

 

I know many want a rebuild, but I don’t necessarily think BT is in a position to do that. Sure, he could deal Gaudreau for futures, but those futures would be used by the next GM.

 

I think it’s very likely that if the Flames fail to make the playoffs, a GM change is coming.

 

Also, like you said the Flames could be forced into a rebuild, especially if they struggle in this upcoming season. Gaudreau would be a pending UFA, Tkachuk would be unlikely to sign long term. There’s a reality where things get pretty dark in Calgary in the next 9-10 months 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Nice post.

 

This is certainly a big season for the Flames.

 

I know many want a rebuild, but I don’t necessarily think BT is in a position to do that. Sure, he could deal Gaudreau for futures, but those futures would be used by the next GM.

 

I think it’s very likely that if the Flames fail to make the playoffs, a GM change is coming.

 

Also, like you said the Flames could be forced into a rebuild, especially if they struggle in this upcoming season. Gaudreau would be a pending UFA, Tkachuk would be unlikely to sign long term. There’s a reality where things get pretty dark in Calgary in the next 9-10 months 

 

Ok I have to piss a few people off and make my suggestions......lol I know people will disagree but hey, I never cared before so why start now?

If I had to pick between Eichel and Tarasenko I would chose Tarasenko. My reasoning is for 2 points. First and biggest is he is on the right side of and injury, the recovered side. The second is he is actually more proven in the NHL.

A few other point's, he cost's less, his term is lower incase it doesn't work out. Also I want to add that if there is truth to Tkachuk wanting out then have both players requesting trades helps to keep the value up on Tkachuk. 

I see Tkachuk for Tarasenko and a first with some salary retained. It may sound bad to some but if he is going to leave anyway capitalize with the first now and get a top line RW forward out of it.

If this is actually done that actually ends up making us better. Our top line get's better and Mang get's alot more playing time with better line mates plus we get a first round pick next draft class.

The next thing I would do is look for a second top 6 RWer. High end of Hoffman, low end of Kase since Boston did not qualify him. My choice would be Kase on a 4 x 4 max deal maybe closer to 3.5mil

I would look to get the other Ritchie brother. A large physical guy that is proven is right up the coaches alley.

Last thing to do would be to extend Johnny. at 8.5mil max

 

SO you would have:

Johnny - Mony - Tarasenko

Mange - Lindholm - Kase

Ritchie - Backs - Ritchie

Lucic - Ruzicka - Dube

 

Hanifin - Anderson

Valamaki - Tanev

MacKey - Stone

And the is still money to add in free agency on D aswell

 

Markstrom

and any back up because Markstrom will play nearly every game anyways......lol

 

Say whatever you like but if this was to happen with and upgrade on Stone this would be a far better team than last year. I know it is an opinion of the some guy but the money spent here is more worth the risk than an unsure trade for Eichels not so certain future.

 

You easily have enough money after doing these moves and signings to add a high level player in free agency. Probably a few million left over to be active at the trade deadline aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

Buffalo is a dumpster fire, so it would take a couple of Eichels to get them out of that situation.

Fancy stats black hole Risto.

Carter Hutton 1-10 last season.

Without Eichel, a very bleh team.

 

We underperformed quite a bit last year and still blew them out of the water.

Let say the cost was Tkachuk; we give up a decent scoring player for a guy that was over a point per game played, on a bad team.

Put another way, we trade a top line winger for a guy only 10 months older that is a true #1C.


they’re trying to do what Arizona is doing. Put all the chips in for futures. The rumour is they want all futures for Eichel.  
 

Zary, Pelletier, Wolf, 2022 1st and dare I say Dube?

 

They want them to be young enough to be within the window that Powers will be ready to compete, and next year’s 1st. I assume Cozens will be ready then too. 
 

maybe it takes Calgary’s 2023 1st instead of a Pelletier. I’d Valamaki young enough to be thrown in as well? 
 

the word is 4 guaranteed NHL players or guaranteed NHL players to-be. 
 

so what combo does it take?
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Friedman said on 960 that he poked around this past weekend regarding Gaudreau. He didn't seem to think the Flames had Gaudreau in play.

 

Frank Seravalli on his Daily Faceoff Podcast said he thinks Gaudreau was available at the draft, but the Flames didn't get an offer they liked and expects the Flames will re-engage the Gaudreau camp regarding an extension.

 

Silly season.


I don’t really think the draft was where to move him. This draft is too up in the air and we would’ve been upset with the return if we went off board and got a player that doesn’t come close to the NHL. 
 

it’s a tough call. Personally, I would like the Flames to go Kakko or a young guy like that with upside. Not straight across, but still. Tough so it would have to be a sign and trade so Johnny has term and it’s worth it to the other team. 
 

the Rangers want a C though. Maybe it’ll be Monahan to the Rangers. 
 

then Eichel for two 1st rounders and two of our best or Future NHL prospects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that the Jets have picked up Dillon theres a logjam on the left side, and the rumor is Chevy protected Logan Stanley because he didnt want the Kraks to flip him.  Big young kid that was really finding his groove towards the end of the season, might be worth the phone call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...