Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

Would've rather not had to give the pick, but would rather roll the dice on a younger guy with some promise than the veterans that were left on the market

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you can make some comparisons between Vladar and Markstrom. Similar size and athletic ability. I think this is a solid gamble.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't love the pick (and after today the Flames have no 3rd rounders left in next year's draft) but he does look legit. He's been one of the best goalies in the AHL over the past few seasons so there is something there. 

 

And as we've seen today even the backup goalie market has exploded. Feels like a high price to pay but if you get even a good backup goalie for only 750K that's about 1 mill to 1.5 mill below market value. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Don't love the pick (and after today the Flames have no 3rd rounders left in next year's draft) but he does look legit. He's been one of the best goalies in the AHL over the past few seasons so there is something there. 

 

And as we've seen today even the backup goalie market has exploded. Feels like a high price to pay but if you get even a good backup goalie for only 750K that's about 1 mill to 1.5 mill below market value. 

Also, if not him, there is also Parsons and Wolf…I think the idea is creating some competition so one of the three will step up and take the job…also allows the other  two to either develop and or maybe there is a trade brewing for either Wolf or Parsons? I could see that, Buf got a solid prospect G which would have cost us one of them had we been in on Reinhart and considering the backup G market is thin I could see one of Wolf and or Parsons being leverage for a deal…wait and see 🤔

 

all that being said he seems like a very solid prospect, highly doubt there is a better chance to draft a G as good in the third round…matter of fact I think he was a Bos 3rd round pick so kinda worth it I think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

Also, if not him, there is also Parsons and Wolf…I think the idea is creating some competition so one of the three will step up and take the job…also allows the other  two to either develop and or maybe there is a trade brewing for either Wolf or Parsons? I could see that, Buf got a solid prospect G which would have cost us one of them had we been in on Reinhart and considering the backup G market is thin I could see one of Wolf and or Parsons being leverage for a deal…wait and see 🤔

 

all that being said he seems like a very solid prospect, highly doubt there is a better chance to draft a G as good in the third round…matter of fact I think he was a Bos 3rd round pick so kinda worth it I think 

 

As of right now the Flames only have Wolf and Parsons for the AHL and no one else. Could be wrong but I would be very surprised if anything is brewing with those two. 

 

2 different cases. Vlader's not an AHL option given he is waiver eligible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

As of right now the Flames only have Wolf and Parsons for the AHL and no one else. Could be wrong but I would be very surprised if anything is brewing with those two. 

 

2 different cases. Vlader's not an AHL option given he is waiver eligible. 

Ah ok so they are going young backup this time…fair enough, you never know he may force Sutter to use a rotational system if he shines and sounds like he could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Don't love the pick (and after today the Flames have no 3rd rounders left in next year's draft) but he does look legit. He's been one of the best goalies in the AHL over the past few seasons so there is something there. 

 

And as we've seen today even the backup goalie market has exploded. Feels like a high price to pay but if you get even a good backup goalie for only 750K that's about 1 mill to 1.5 mill below market value. 

 

Well, we may be able to get that pick back later.

I like that we addressed the issue of no backup.

Crap goalies getting $2m on 1-2 year deals, so this can't be any worse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

As of right now the Flames only have Wolf and Parsons for the AHL and no one else. Could be wrong but I would be very surprised if anything is brewing with those two. 

 

2 different cases. Vlader's not an AHL option given he is waiver eligible. 

 

It makes zero sense to trade for a goalie then waive him.

BOS would just laugh at us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either we start the season with him or he is part of a trade. Buffalo just lost there goalie maybe this is part of something happening with them?

Stl may want him in something happening with them?

 

Should I keep going?

Wait this guy has like next to no nhl time. This has to be a flip or else I do not know something that I should in this picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

Either we start the season with him or he is part of a trade. Buffalo just lost there goalie maybe this is part of something happening with them?

Stl may want him in something happening with them?

 

Should I keep going?

Wait this guy has like next to no nhl time. This has to be a flip or else I do not know something that I should in this picture.

 

I think he was traded for to have a backup.

We didn't.

We do now.

If we wanted to give them a goalie in trade, we would have signed a starter.

Perhaps we could trade them Parsons.

They are in the lose now mode.

 

They are not the only team in need of a goalie.

Colorado lost their starter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but if we are in win now trusting a young goalie with 5 NHL games under his belt is stupid. He can't be waived with the chance of losing him so a third makes no sense for the high risk.

Plus we just got another young goalie who can be waived along with 2 D for the AHL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FlameFan4Life said:

Yeah but if we are in win now trusting a young goalie with 5 NHL games under his belt is stupid. He can't be waived with the chance of losing him so a third makes no sense for the high risk.

Plus we just got another young goalie who can be waived along with 2 D for the AHL.

The cap is flat.

 

A backup making close to league minimum carries a lot of value and the difference between a Vladar and Reimer or Jones at this point is likely very small at best. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can anyone who knows hockey think a young unproven goalie is smart when you can't just waive and send him down without risk of losing him? If we were in lose now sure but we are in win now aren't we?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

How can anyone who knows hockey think a young unproven goalie is smart when you can't just waive and send him down without risk of losing him? If we were in lose now sure but we are in win now aren't we?

 

We all know the Flames are notorious for riding the starter as much as possible. If this new acquisition is the official backup then he'll se barely any games.  The real story plays out if Markstrom gets hurt or overworked and the backup needs to step in for an extended time. I'd rather roll the dice on a $750K backup than have a veteran sit for 2-3 mil. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Darryl Sutter won his second cup in LA one of his backups was Martin Jones. Jones had no previous NHL experience but was excellent in playing 19 games for the Kings. 12-6 with a 934 save %
Unproven doesn’t mean bad. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

How can anyone who knows hockey think a young unproven goalie is smart when you can't just waive and send him down without risk of losing him? If we were in lose now sure but we are in win now aren't we?

 

 

The roster is not set.

We also rarely carry 2 extra forwards and an extra D, so we potentially have a free roster spot to carry 3 goalies.

He doesn't work out, we waive him.

But that so far down the road, isn't it.

Rittich went 5-8-2 last season and signed for $2m in Nashville.

And he is not a bad goalie.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

How can anyone who knows hockey think a young unproven goalie is smart when you can't just waive and send him down without risk of losing him? If we were in lose now sure but we are in win now aren't we?

 

It's absolutely no different than if the Flames signed Aaron Dell or Devan Dubnyk. If they wanted to waive him, guess what? Waivers. That's the reality of players that aren't on entry level deals.

 

It's a moot point because Vladar is gonna be the Flames backup. If he does end up on waivers it would be because he struggled. Unfortunately, the aisle of .930 slam-dunk backups was empty in free agency today. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

also , with a small big team sample, one game can hide the real potential 

 

 

 

I wonder how that compares to the rough outing we had with Markstrom in nets.  Or Rittich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve become a bit more optimistic as the day went on. Lewis is kind of an insurance for the 4th line. I hope he can still play. At least he’s proven. And costs nothing. 
 

I like what I’ve heard about Zadorov so far. Could be a good fit with Andersson and allow Ras to play the offensive role. Listening to Zaddy today, he seems to think he has another level to give on the offensive side of his game. Not sure he’d get a chance to showcase that in a Sutter system. But we need to get harder to play against. 
 

Coleman does that too. I think that if you get enough of that type of player, it can become infectious and hype the rest of the team up. It’s when most of the team doesn’t go, tends to drop these kind of guys down because it sucks to be the only one doing the work. 
 

interesting to see what else happens. 
 

while I don’t like signing an older Lewis, I see the reasoning. I get the frustration of not allowing a kid to take one of those spots, but I don’t have faith that some of our young are able to pull their weight on a fourth line. I mean, I’d prefer them to play minutes to develop. Gawdin is OK. We won’t know what Rucizka will be like but I don’t think he is super close, but maybe ready for some call ups. I would rather players play in roles that you want them to play. Keep their skills going so they continue to develop. I think there’s a danger of killing the skill if they don’t keep it up. 
 

I with Travel on development. Stop getting veterans to play top minutes in the AHL. Play the prospects in roles you expect them to play in the NHL. Drill it into them to play! I get you can’t just give it to them, but still gotta develop them.

 

if a prospect is better than Lewis, he can beat him out. Lewis’ deal is cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I like what I’ve heard about Zadorov so far. Could be a good fit with Andersson and allow Ras to play the offensive role. Listening to Zaddy today, he seems to think he has another level to give on the offensive side of his game. Not sure he’d get a chance to showcase that in a Sutter system. But we need to get harder to play against. 

 

I want him to worry about a couple of things:

1) clearing the garbage away from the net

2) introducing players to the boards (and ice)

3) get shots away with traffic

 

He's good in the d-zone, which is where we have struggled.  Some of that is the forwards, but losing battles brings that too.

 

Lewis is the kind of player you can use or replace with another guy.  He's not going to play every game, unless that's what you want.

There are games where you want that big body and those where you want some speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the Zadorov trade... I wonder what's his contract going to look like.  We need his hitting.  Zadorov dominated us in the playoffs a few seasons ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I like the Zadorov trade... I wonder what's his contract going to look like.  We need his hitting.  Zadorov dominated us in the playoffs a few seasons ago.

 

I think that he's getting 4 years at least.  A little risky going that long, but we have 2 others going UFA after 3 years.

For 4 years, I would like to see it below $4m.

He just cam off two years at $3.2m each, so he's not really due a big raise.

He has arbitration rights, but I doubt they want to go that route to start.

I'm thinking $3.75m to $3.9m x 4.

Maybe goes an extra year to lower the cap.

He's 26, so not that old.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...