Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

When do we hear that we have traded for Eichel and rock the hockey world? 

 

Probably take a bit of time.

There isn't a bidding war right now, so Buffalo is playing a risky game.

Both sides basically admit he's not playing in a Buffalo sweater next season.

Typically, after the big fish are gone from the UFA board, the trades ramp up for those that lost out.

I don't see NY being any more impatient as a result.

They only want to pay what they have already offered (if they indeed have).

Calgary tends to have longer drawn out discussions.

As we have seen, there is usually a piece in play that we either are willing to or not willing to discuss.

With Stone, it was Valimaki (and the reported re-signing money).

With Dougie, it was the Fox piece.

 

It may be as quiet as the Dougie trade, in that we hear it's coming when it happens.

Unfortunately, with the East teams, they sometimes have not scouted as closely the players we are willing to give up.

They know Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk and Lindholm, but not much about a Dube or Zary.

 

The foolish thing for Buffalo would be to trade to the Rangers.

That would be like trading Gaudreau or Tkachuk to Colorado.

The one piece that could take them over the top.

In-conference trades should always include the extra piece for having to play them often.  

Chytil, Kravtsov and a 1st is about all they are willing to give up.

Potential.

The 1st becomes a non-lotto pick with the Ranger and Eichel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really think that Treliving is trying to get Eichel, but if that doesn't work I wonder if Tarasenko is the backup plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Really think that Treliving is trying to get Eichel, but if that doesn't work I wonder if Tarasenko is the backup plan.

 

No doubt.

If it's Tarasenko, then I would be doing Tkachuk for Tarasenko + Kyrou or Thomas.

Tarasenko used to be a player I wanted, but he's a risk now, so any trade with him has to include a big sweetener.

I'm not sure that's realistic, but we would need the extra piece to justify it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Really think that Treliving is trying to get Eichel, but if that doesn't work I wonder if Tarasenko is the backup plan.

In all honesty I hope neither end up in a Flames uni.  Both are too big a risk for the asking price.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

No doubt.

If it's Tarasenko, then I would be doing Tkachuk for Tarasenko + Kyrou or Thomas.

Tarasenko used to be a player I wanted, but he's a risk now, so any trade with him has to include a big sweetener.

I'm not sure that's realistic, but we would need the extra piece to justify it. 

Major salary retention would be needed also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Major salary retention would be needed also.

 

Not really.  Tank is similar to Tkachuk (contract AAV), so the only real difference is the bridge deal for the other piece.

I say bridge deal because it gives us better options to trade in the future.

If we are going to offer a long term deal to the other piece, then we would need a retention of 1-2m.

The problem with that is that it lowers the return we get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

In all honesty I hope neither end up in a Flames uni.  Both are too big a risk for the asking price.

here's the thing about risk. BT and Sutter both have 2 years left on their contract. I've said before  I've liked may of BT's moves , but truth is truth ,, he hasn't moved this team ahead in this whole time. Some things weren't his fault (Peters, Kadri, Zucker).. but some things were ( not getting stone due to refusal to include Valimaki) 

It's chips in time.. no more playing safe ..... if it fails , he's fired.. if he plays it safe and we are still the team with questions in 2 years .. he's fired 

This team has a 2 year window before it gets blown up , or gets over the hump .. gotta go for it 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

here's the thing about risk. BT and Sutter both have 2 years left on their contract. I've said before  I've liked may of BT's moves , but truth is truth ,, he hasn't moved this team ahead in this whole time. Some things weren't his fault (Peters, Kadri, Zucker).. but some things were ( not getting stone due to refusal to include Valimaki) 

It's chips in time.. no more playing safe ..... if it fails , he's fired.. if he plays it safe and we are still the team with questions in 2 years .. he's fired 

This team has a 2 year window before it gets blown up , or gets over the hump .. gotta go for it 

 

It has been well reported that Stone was only willing to sign long term in Vegas. Stone ended up being a pure rental for the Flames which is why they weren't willing to include him in the deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know the reliability of the source, but he's guaranteed to be right.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't know the reliability of the source, but he's guaranteed to be right.

 

 

 

 

Isn't that the Commodore?  Or is it just that he uses the tag #insiderrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is some suggestion that SJS wants to move Hertl for a top prospect.

He's a pending UFA, but has would be a decent option for us.

Perhaps Zary or Pelletier would do it.

Supposedly they want Lassi Thomson from the Sens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't know the reliability of the source, but he's guaranteed to be right.

 

 

 

 

This hockey insider is so edgy.  What a call.  Not subscribed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

 

This hockey insider is so edgy.  What a call.  Not subscribed.

 

All the way up to 50%.

Pretty safe bet he is 100% correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

In all honesty I hope neither end up in a Flames uni.  Both are too big a risk for the asking price.

100% this I agree! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

There is some suggestion that SJS wants to move Hertl for a top prospect.

He's a pending UFA, but has would be a decent option for us.

Perhaps Zary or Pelletier would do it.

Supposedly they want Lassi Thomson from the Sens.

Not Zary but Pelletier I’d be ok with 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that Buffalo has gone radio silent about the trade, and that they are seeming to become a tanker, implies that they want a player that is young that they can sign to be the face of the franchise.  Power and Dahlin don't do it for them.  They need more than the continued promise of draft picks.  Tkachuk fits that billing.  They can give hiom $10m and not bat an eye.  He gives the fans something to cheer for.

 

I'm not lobbying to trade Tkachuk, just pointing out that Eichel is a malcontent and is doing them more harm by not being moved.  No way they win the trade, so just do it.  Getting a fan fave and leader moves them in the right direction when they get another 1st overall next season.  Anaheim is not trading one of their future stars for him.  NY is offering hohum players that could be very good or just more hohum.  Vegas is out.  Minny is out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The fact that Buffalo has gone radio silent about the trade, and that they are seeming to become a tanker, implies that they want a player that is young that they can sign to be the face of the franchise.  Power and Dahlin don't do it for them.  They need more than the continued promise of draft picks.  Tkachuk fits that billing.  They can give hiom $10m and not bat an eye.  He gives the fans something to cheer for.

 

I'm not lobbying to trade Tkachuk, just pointing out that Eichel is a malcontent and is doing them more harm by not being moved.  No way they win the trade, so just do it.  Getting a fan fave and leader moves them in the right direction when they get another 1st overall next season.  Anaheim is not trading one of their future stars for him.  NY is offering hohum players that could be very good or just more hohum.  Vegas is out.  Minny is out. 

Do you think that Eich is a better player than MrT due to all his (Eich's) Injuries I notice that alot of Flames Fans have lost there love for MrT I myself think he will just get better. Last yr was a bad yr for the whole team not just Chucky and I think Eick. I also believe losing Gio will be a huge lose more than this Fan base realizes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zima said:

Do you think that Eich is a better player than MrT due to all his (Eich's) Injuries I notice that alot of Flames Fans have lost there love for MrT I myself think he will just get better. Last yr was a bad yr for the whole team not just Chucky and I think Eick. I also believe losing Gio will be a huge lose more than this Fan base realizes 

Without knowing the injuries I think Eichel is quite a bit better and at a more important position, my number #1 preference would be to find a way to get Eichel without giving up Tkachuk.  I don't think I'd consider myself to be one to completely sour on Tkachuk, it was a down year for sure, I can't think of any Flames I've seen in my days watching them that haven't suffered down years a lot of different factors could have come into play there.  For example, I think Matthew probably feeds off crowds a little more than some do.  I think he'll be fine going forward, I have no doubts he can bounce back into a 30+ goal 70+ point guy.  My only concerns with him going forward are if he wants to be here any longer than he has to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gio lost for just cap space stings. I would have hoped for more, but we knew we were losing someone of value for nothing but cap space.

 

I have nothing against Tkachuk, as I and others keep saying, the main reasons to trade him are value on return and the fact that his next contract will be very painful for a team cap that will have been flat for multiple years. Had there been no down turn due to Covid and a continued rise in cap, then no need to move him. Flames were expecting millions in extra space when he was signed. Without that space, a 9 million + qualifying offer will be very painful unless he is a top 10 generational player in the league which he is not.

 

Buffalo likely silent on Eichel as Reinhart now gone, they couldn’t sign any big FAs and now their goalies are 40 year old Anderson and 32 year old Dell at 750K each. Without something incredible happening, Sabres have little chance of being anything but last in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A creative idea.

 

 

The longer this Eichel saga drags out, the more I think the Flames can get him. Vegas can't, they need to ship out 10 mill just to bring Eichel in. Wild are rumoured to be out, which makes sense with the dead cap they have in the coming years. 

 

 

Unrelated, but man, what a turtle derby it's gonna be between Buffalo and Arizona this year for 32nd, just like 2015. The Sabres have a Craig Anderson and Aaron Dell tandem, and right now Arizona has Carter Hutton and Josef Korenar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zima said:

Do you think that Eich is a better player than MrT due to all his (Eich's) Injuries I notice that alot of Flames Fans have lost there love for MrT I myself think he will just get better. Last yr was a bad yr for the whole team not just Chucky and I think Eick. I also believe losing Gio will be a huge lose more than this Fan base realizes 

I agree about Chucky vs Eichel as for Gio I think he’s not gonna be as big a loss as our think, he’s lost a lot I’ve the past 3-5 years yes even the year he won the Norris he was slowing down 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

what a turtle derby it's gonna be between Buffalo and Arizona this year for 32nd

you forgot to include Edm in the turtle derby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

A creative idea.

 

 

The longer this Eichel saga drags out, the more I think the Flames can get him. Vegas can't, they need to ship out 10 mill just to bring Eichel in. Wild are rumoured to be out, which makes sense with the dead cap they have in the coming years. 

 

 

Unrelated, but man, what a turtle derby it's gonna be between Buffalo and Arizona this year for 32nd, just like 2015. The Sabres have a Craig Anderson and Aaron Dell tandem, and right now Arizona has Carter Hutton and Josef Korenar

Yeah that’s way too much for Eichel and Miller…if it was a healthy but unhappy Eichel I could see it he’s about 1 prospect too high and a 2nd round pick too high…hard pass especially if it involves Valimaki or Zary 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think the Flames would need to involve a 3rd party to facilitate an Eichel trade.

 

Calgary would need to move salary to make it work. The obvious candidate is Monahan. He's got a 10 team no list. I acknowledge that Buffalo is close to home for him, but I think it's realistic that the Sabres aren't the most attractive destination right now as they head into another rebuild. 

 

That's where the Flames would need to find someone on Monahan's "yes" list. There are in theory, 22 options. 


An example could be

 

To CGY- Eichel

 

To CBJ- Monahan

 

To BUF- Korpisalo, Bunch of futures from Calgary for Eichel.

 

Issue is Buffalo needs to take on salary. They are nowhere near the cap floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...