The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yups 100%.

Biggest problem is BUF is NOT trying to win this year so the longer this Eichel thing drags out, it is ironically better for them.  They get no assets to help them win immediately.  They also get this dark cloud hanging over them to begin the season to help them lose harder.  All players demotivated and demoralized.  It's exactly what they want.

It's a firing offence.  He has basically ruined the team in less than a year.

Good luck getting any UFA's to sign there that have any value.

Good luck on trades expecting any player with a NTC to waive.

Keep it up and Dahlin and Power will want out.

Regardless of the return, he has to get a good player out of the deal.

Picks don't cut it.

It has to be a star or name brand at the very least.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's a firing offence.  He has basically ruined the team in less than a year.

Good luck getting any UFA's to sign there that have any value.

Good luck on trades expecting any player with a NTC to waive.

Keep it up and Dahlin and Power will want out.

Regardless of the return, he has to get a good player out of the deal.

Picks don't cut it.

It has to be a star or name brand at the very least.

dube/pelletier/backlund and brad Treliving for Eichel/ some random position player that we are short on and Kevin Adams

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

dube/pelletier/backlund and brad Treliving for Eichel/ some random position player that we are short on and Kevin Adams

It wouldn't be the first time I was surprised by a return, and given the flat cap, desire to move Eichel west, injury risk, and media circus this is primed for a surprise. But I don't see that getting it done. Buffalo doesn't need Backlund, and the rest doesn't get it done. 

I expect your looking at Tkachuk, a solid prospect, and a first. Maybe we can change Tkachuk to Monahan if Buffalo can flip him for futures. 

Ottawa and VGK are looking for the C position allegedly. Bruce Garioch (of Ottawa) has reported many times about Monahan being available. Personally, I’m surprised something hasn’t materialized between us and Ott for Monahan since he’s not only an ontario boy, but he played for the Ottawa 67’s. He’s a known commodity there and a player the fan base knows well. But - that tells me that either Ottawa isn’t interested in Monahan, Melnyk isn’t interested in his salary (even though it’s a pretty good bargain), Ottawa isn’t interested in meeting our asking price, or we’ve been working another trade with Monahan involved. 

When I look at Buffalo’s roster and see how far from the cap floor they are and the fact they’re trading away a C in Eichel that makes $10m per season, I don’t see a scenario where “futures only” is a solution for them. Saying that, they’re not going to give Eichel away for spare parts making too much money - Skinner’s contract nullifies any kind of thinking like that - but, getting a C in return (Monahan) surely would be at least of interest to Buffalo. They need to fill that position that Eichel is going to leave vacant. It’s not a choice. Perhaps Mony won’t waive to go to Buffalo, though, I don’t think it would be as cut and dry as that given the proximity to family and Ontario and the Eastern timezone. Furthermore, he has been demoted to line 2 and separated from Johnny with Sutter’s arrival, so perhaps opportunity to regain his form and #1 C position would be somewhat of interest. Mony alone doesn’t make a trade happen of course, but my gut tells me that if we’re involved in any trade with Buffalo, Mony is a piece being discussed. 

Spitballing here - what if Mony and Chucky were involved in the trade? That, in my eyes, would significantly reduce the additional pieces required for an Eichel trade. It’s steep for sure, but does Monahan re-sign with us in 2 years playing as 2C? Chucky, as much as I like everything about him (his moxie, tenacity, future captain potential) there’s something about his game that doesn’t scream elite to me and he’s going to command $7-$9m per year? we also saw what happens when he loses his game… If there’s a way to keep Chucky you do it, if not, you say goodbye to a potential future captain to get a current-day captain, and get to keep more in the prospect pool to help fill out the team in years to come. 

Edit - I’d also be looking at including Kylington in that trade to Buff. They’re looking for D as well and he’s young and has potential. I’m a bit miffed that he hasn’t gotten a fair shake with us (not surprised tho - re: Bennett) but cut bait with the poor kid and give him a shot elsewhere. 

So, Mony + Kyller + 1 of Chucky *or* some variation of lottery protected 1st round picks / prospects. 

48 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Ottawa and VGK are looking for the C position allegedly. Bruce Garioch (of Ottawa) has reported many times about Monahan being available. Personally, I’m surprised something hasn’t materialized between us and Ott for Monahan since he’s not only an ontario boy, but he played for the Ottawa 67’s. He’s a known commodity there and a player the fan base knows well. But - that tells me that either Ottawa isn’t interested in Monahan, Melnyk isn’t interested in his salary (even though it’s a pretty good bargain), Ottawa isn’t interested in meeting our asking price, or we’ve been working another trade with Monahan involved. 

When I look at Buffalo’s roster and see how far from the cap floor they are and the fact they’re trading away a C in Eichel that makes $10m per season, I don’t see a scenario where “futures only” is a solution for them. Saying that, they’re not going to give Eichel away for spare parts making too much money - Skinner’s contract nullifies any kind of thinking like that - but, getting a C in return (Monahan) surely would be at least of interest to Buffalo. They need to fill that position that Eichel is going to leave vacant. It’s not a choice. Perhaps Mony won’t waive to go to Buffalo, though, I don’t think it would be as cut and dry as that given the proximity to family and Ontario and the Eastern timezone. Furthermore, he has been demoted to line 2 and separated from Johnny with Sutter’s arrival, so perhaps opportunity to regain his form and #1 C position would be somewhat of interest. Mony alone doesn’t make a trade happen of course, but my gut tells me that if we’re involved in any trade with Buffalo, Mony is a piece being discussed. 

Spitballing here - what if Mony and Chucky were involved in the trade? That, in my eyes, would significantly reduce the additional pieces required for an Eichel trade. It’s steep for sure, but does Monahan re-sign with us in 2 years playing as 2C? Chucky, as much as I like everything about him (his moxie, tenacity, future captain potential) there’s something about his game that doesn’t scream elite to me and he’s going to command $7-$9m per year? we also saw what happens when he loses his game… If there’s a way to keep Chucky you do it, if not, you say goodbye to a potential future captain to get a current-day captain, and get to keep more in the prospect pool to help fill out the team in years to come. 

Edit - I’d also be looking at including Kylington in that trade to Buff. They’re looking for D as well and he’s young and has potential. I’m a bit miffed that he hasn’t gotten a fair shake with us (not surprised tho - re: Bennett) but cut bait with the poor kid and give him a shot elsewhere. 

So, Mony + Kyller + 1 of Chucky *or* some variation of lottery protected 1st round picks / prospects. 

Monahan + Tkachuk is a big offer.

I wouldn't do that myself, though I get the reasons.

Here's a weird offer, stepping away from the Eichel deal for a minute.

Monahan for Tarasenko ($2m retained) + Kyrou or Thomas.

This brings us a RW and C, and works well combined with an Eichel trade.

It resets the core.

STL does this to move on from Tank; cost of doing business.

Monahan gets them a top 6 C at a reasonable age.

Monahan waives easily (if not already a listd team).

Gaudreau-Eichel-Thomas/Kyrou

Coleman-Lindholm-Tarasenko

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube

Lucic-Lewis-Pitlick

Tarasenko could be top line, but I would prefer to build a younger group.

Mangiapane continues to be a top 6 threat, but stays at or below his potential seeding.

This is clearly a win now or in the next 2-3 years.

MOnahan for Tarasenko a bit in the wrong sirection, but he still has a few years of prime left.

The real prize is Kyrou or Thomas; future stars.

4 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Ottawa and VGK are looking for the C position allegedly. Bruce Garioch (of Ottawa) has reported many times about Monahan being available. Personally, I’m surprised something hasn’t materialized between us and Ott for Monahan since he’s not only an ontario boy, but he played for the Ottawa 67’s. He’s a known commodity there and a player the fan base knows well. But - that tells me that either Ottawa isn’t interested in Monahan, Melnyk isn’t interested in his salary (even though it’s a pretty good bargain),

I don't know how available Monahan really is.  I think the Flames would love to upgrade Monahan, but just trading him leaves you Lindholm, Backlund, then really nobody down the middle.  I do think that if the Flames manage to get Eichel, and Monahan isn't in the trade, you will see Monahan moved shortly after.  

I don't see Monahan/Tkachuk both going out if there is a trade for Eichel.  Buffalo apparently isn't looking for players, and would prefer to get futures.  Realistically they will probably need to take someone back to make the salary work, but I don't see them taking on two big contracts.  I also think that is too much going out considering the injury risk and media circus.  

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Monahan + Tkachuk is a big offer.

I wouldn't do that myself, though I get the reasons.

Here's a weird offer, stepping away from the Eichel deal for a minute.

Monahan for Tarasenko ($2m retained) + Kyrou or Thomas.

This brings us a RW and C, and works well combined with an Eichel trade.

It resets the core.

STL does this to move on from Tank; cost of doing business.

Monahan gets them a top 6 C at a reasonable age.

Monahan waives easily (if not already a listd team).

Gaudreau-Eichel-Thomas/Kyrou

Coleman-Lindholm-Tarasenko

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube

Lucic-Lewis-Pitlick

Tarasenko could be top line, but I would prefer to build a younger group.

Mangiapane continues to be a top 6 threat, but stays at or below his potential seeding.

This is clearly a win now or in the next 2-3 years.

MOnahan for Tarasenko a bit in the wrong sirection, but he still has a few years of prime left.

The real prize is Kyrou or Thomas; future stars.

Hey hey! I’m liking that suggestion TD if St. Loo will go for it. I’m not sure you can get both Tarasenko and Kyrou for Monahan alone, so asking them to eat $2m salary on top seems like a lot to me - but what do I know? If they’ll do it, go for it. But only if we’re getting Eichel as well. Will our cap work with Kyrou + Eichel + Tarasenko minus Monahan? We’d be pretty scary with Eichel and Tarasenko. 

8 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I think the close to home thing gets a little overblown.  Reality is its not that big of a deal to a lot of players, and many would actually prefer being away.  I don't know Monahan but what I can gather from his 8 years in Calgary is that he isn't about the celebrity of being a professional athlete I could very well see him as a guy to put every Canadian city on his no list and being content living in the southern U.S where he can just focus on playing hockey and live a more private life.  

18 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Hey hey! I’m liking that suggestion TD if St. Loo will go for it. I’m not sure you can get both Tarasenko and Kyrou for Monahan alone, so asking them to eat $2m salary on top seems like a lot to me - but what do I know? If they’ll do it, go for it. But only if we’re getting Eichel as well. Will our cap work with Kyrou + Eichel + Tarasenko minus Monahan? We’d be pretty scary with Eichel and Tarasenko. 

Tank has a huge amount of risk, so it's mostly a cap dump for them.

I could do without taking a full cap hit, but so be it.

Tkachuk + Monahan = $13.35m today and $14m+ in the future.

Kyrou + Eichel + Tank = $19.5 (Kyrou on 2 year bridge deal).

$17.5m is a bit easier to swallow.

Still tough.

Short term is really the issue.

Gaudreau's next deal, and waiting for Lucic's deal to end.

Pipe dream for sure.

Without Tarasenko, we would still need a Kyrou or similar.

I am just messing around.  But what about something like below. In essence, this results in:

• Monahan to Eichel (++++)
  • Tkachuk to Tarasenko (---), side bonus of LW to RW
  • Valamaki to Jokiharju (--)
  • 2nd round pick and Dube to 3M salary retained 

image.png.386547ac29d6fc44e3e29779f5cf15d1.png

image.thumb.png.ec5c94ffc199a9e61b1534f585192e02.png

Interesting proposal.

The loss of Dube makes us a little thin at RW.\I think you play Coleman on RW on 2nd line in this case.

Pretty tight to the cap.

We do manage to keep a 1st and get an extra 2nd.

In lieu of the 1st, I wonder if we could do Kyrou for the 1st.

It means dropping Phillps and keeping Zadorov closer to $3.5m

He's filed, but has said he expects to have a deal before arbitration.

Just not enough time to negotiate.

While Gawdin might be the safe 4C, I think perhaps Ruzicka is more of a Sutter guy.

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

I am just messing around.  But what about something like below. In essence, this results in:

• Monahan to Eichel (++++)
  • Tkachuk to Tarasenko (---), side bonus of LW to RW
  • Valamaki to Jokiharju (--)
  • 2nd round pick and Dube to 3M salary retained 

image.png.386547ac29d6fc44e3e29779f5cf15d1.png

image.thumb.png.ec5c94ffc199a9e61b1534f585192e02.png

Tarasenko for Monahan makes sense. It's really a matter of Tarasenko agreeing to come to Calgary.

Interesting swap of Valimaki for Jokiharju. Flames will need to do something like that at some point as they are so thin at RD.

Probably need to add a little more to get Eichel, and I don't see them eating money for 5 seasons. But a cool idea

Ryan Murray just signed with COL for 1 years, $2m. There’s another LD gone. 

I think we should target Dunne.  Not for a pick, but a player going the other way.

Perhaps Kylington and a 3rd in 2023?

Not a lot of interest in FA.

I do not see a world where any of our existing players will waive to go to Buffalo. To me the price to get Eichel is to high considering he may miss some or all of next year, or possibly not every play for us, and it would take alot of futures from us to get this done. On top of that, without salary going out we will need to make multiple moves to fit the cap hit. 

It just doesn't sound like in the end we come out of this any better.

With Zadorov's next contract plus the Dube and Valamaki raises we will need to take a flyer price tag on someone just to be cap compliant.

I think we would be better off looking elsewhere. Maybe trade the picks and prospects it would take to get Zibanejad after being extended. The price would be less and we know he will play next year. His next contract may be less than Eichel is making aswell as the price over all would most likely be less seeing how NY would then flip some of the assets for Eichel anyways.

34 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

I do not see a world where any of our existing players will waive to go to Buffalo. To me the price to get Eichel is to high considering he may miss some or all of next year, or possibly not every play for us, and it would take alot of futures from us to get this done. On top of that, without salary going out we will need to make multiple moves to fit the cap hit. 

It just doesn't sound like in the end we come out of this any better.

With Zadorov's next contract plus the Dube and Valamaki raises we will need to take a flyer price tag on someone just to be cap compliant.

We don't need to make multiple moves to fit Eichel.  We have $12-mil in cap space.

Bottom line for me is, we aren't winning the Cup with this group unless we get a #1 Center.  Even with Eichel, there are no promises but at least try.  The most sound thing to do is to sell and tank for the next two years because of Shane Wright and Conor Bedard and we know the appetite for that is ultra low.  So short of doing the best thing, we have to get Eichel.  The window is 2 or 3 years with Sutter and BT signed.  If Coronato, Zary, and Pelletier aren't ready to contribute at their best by 2 or 3 years, then move them all for Eichel.

1 hour ago, FlameFan4Life said:

So I read an article where Eichel’s medical advisor said fusing the discs in his spine will require a 3 month recovery + rehab which could tack on another 3-6 months depending on recovery/setbacks. The disc replacement procedure would require about 6 weeks of recovery, and yes while this has never been done on an NHL player before, it has been done on hockey players, rugby players, and the like with success. Nobody knows how it’s going to turn out, but money will be going back to Buffalo for sure - whether it’s us or someone else. I said it before, I’ll say it again - if Tkachuk is required for Buffalo to send us Eichel, regardless how much I like Tkachuk I make that trade. And I did like TD’s suggestion of sending Mony to St.Loo for Tarasenko + Kyrou. 

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

I said it before, I’ll say it again - if Tkachuk is required for Buffalo to send us Eichel, regardless how much I like Tkachuk I make that trade.

Yes.

On the other hand, we really need to add Eichel without losing any of our top 9... Otherwise, it's one step forward and one step backwards.  The more I think about it, the more we need to end up with this,

Mangiapane - Eichel - Tkachuk

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm

Coleman - Backlund - Pitlick

Lucic - Dube - Lewis

Something like this looks legit.  Two stud scoring lines and then a Backlund-Coleman checking line... can possibly get enough depth scoring from Coleman-Backlund to offset an offensively challenged Blueline.  This lineup obviously doesn't leave much money left to add anyone on the Blueline so that's going to be our weakness.  But anyways, this also means we trade away Coronato + Zary + Pelletier + 2022 1st round pick.  A hefty price to pay but DO IT!  Don't go saying we trying to win the Cup and then stop short of the most important piece to the puzzle.

We don't need to make multiple moves to fit Eichel.  We have $12-mil in cap space.

Bottom line for me is, we aren't winning the Cup with this group unless we get a #1 Center.  Even with Eichel, there are no promises but at least try.  The most sound thing to do is to sell and tank for the next two years because of Shane Wright and Conor Bedard and we know the appetite for that is ultra low.  So short of doing the best thing, we have to get Eichel.  The window is 2 or 3 years with Sutter and BT signed.  If Coronato, Zary, and Pelletier aren't ready to contribute at their best by 2 or 3 years, then move them all for Eichel.

yup, 

it’s a rock and a hard place kinda thing. There is going to be no tanking. We are Minnesota of the North and until we get a Guerin type move, we will continue to be. There’s no Connor Bedard or Wright coming. We will end up with the Zary, Pelletier, Valamaki kind of guys and won’t get the #1C,D, or G unless paying big for them. G, we have one for now. But there’s no hope unless we somehow draft one mid to late round, or beyond. 

there’s no tanking. Even when we know we shouldn’t (in our previous rebuild), we don’t. Win at all costs when we are out. But when fighting for a spot it’s play just good enough to win enough to get in or just miss.

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup, 

it’s a rock and a hard place kinda thing. There is going to be no tanking. We are Minnesota of the North and until we get a Guerin type move, we will continue to be. There’s no Connor Bedard or Wright coming. We will end up with the Zary, Pelletier, Valamaki kind of guys and won’t get the #1C,D, or G unless paying big for them. G, we have one for now. But there’s no hope unless we somehow draft one mid to late round, or beyond. 

there’s no tanking. Even when we know we shouldn’t (in our previous rebuild), we don’t. Win at all costs when we are out. But when fighting for a spot it’s play just good enough to win enough to get in or just miss.

lol

"Minnesota of the North"     that's a new one :)

IMHO, our chances of getting Wright or Bedard increase if we bring Eichel here.  Just as was the case for Buffalo.   These next two drafts are strong, I'm not even sure that Bedard is the best player in them, and he is looking to be very generational.   

I agree with you that we won't tank by choice.   After a certain point though, it's no longer a choice.

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup, 

Ya man.  We need to push all the chips in right now.  If the mandate is the Cup in the next 2 years, then make it happen.  BT won't be here in 3-years and beyond.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

lol

"Minnesota of the North"     that's a new one :)

IMHO, our chances of getting Wright or Bedard increase if we bring Eichel here.  Just as was the case for Buffalo.   These next two drafts are strong, I'm not even sure that Bedard is the best player in them, and he is looking to be very generational.   

I agree with you that we won't tank by choice.   After a certain point though, it's no longer a choice.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Ya man.  We need to push all the chips in right now.  If the mandate is the Cup in the next 2 years, then make it happen.  BT won't be here in 3-years and beyond.

I am with you and JJ. And it might only be a year or two if we end up like a few teams where they were bad a few years but shouldn’t have been. Was it the Hedman draft where Tampa had a decent team but a terrible year? I can’t recall others, but Dallas won the draft and moved up to get Heinamin or whatever his name is… 

that should have been us last year. Or they should have just shut Monahan down and let JG loose. Hell, they could’ve put Benny as his C and seen if there was anything there… I know others will say there wasn’t, but it wasn’t tried since Benny’s first year, and not him as a C… wing Is a different story. 

I just don’t know if Eichel is worth it. We are still missing the #1D. 

• Like 1

Money does matter. After signing Zadorove at close to 4 mil a year, Dube at probably 2 mil, and Valamaki at close to 2 mil we are left with maybe 4 Million in cap space. The only way we can do an Eichel trade is for cap to go out. The only player that makes sense to Buffalo would be Mony who has 2 years left. Tkachuk would be a one year rental and TDL asset but he never resigns in Buffalo so his value may be over rated to Buffalo.

Also I agree Buffalo wants to tank for another first overall that is making Eichel for picks and prospects only make more sense. Losing Eichel and getting only worse for this season is worth more to Buffalo that a NHLer in return. A player makes them less likely to get first overall again which will be a shinny new franchise player to build around.