The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I really dont have a problem with bollig being on this team, hes not a bad guy to have sitting in the press box watching games. Im not a huge fan of his game, but its not terrible, it could be worse. I think of BH didnt use him in such odd ways we wouldnt have such a problem with him.

The problem with having him available is that he will get used.  He will get any game against a tough team.

From what I have seen of Hathaway, he provides what Bollig should but doesn't.  

• Like 2

That's the real problem this season. 

Over 20% of our cap is tied up in 6 contracts (Stajan, Bollig, Raymond, Wideman, Smid and Engellend). We'd be lucky to move 2 of those (Bollig and Engellend the most likely possibiliies). 

Really ? I think it is essential BT find a way to deal with Smid and Wideman as a must. Stajan, Raymond and Bollig would be next on the list IMO. I'm not in a big hurry to move Engelland, if BT moves Bollig we could use his toughness.

Another name that may come up in trade talks if BT is looking to trade for a goalie may be Backlund.

Really ? I think it is essential BT find a way to deal with Smid and Wideman as a must. Stajan, Raymond and Bollig would be next on the list IMO. I'm not in a big hurry to move Engelland, if BT moves Bollig we could use his toughness.

Another name that may come up in trade talks if BT is looking to trade for a goalie may be Backlund.

Smid I'm hoping will retire,Bollig needs to be moved for sure as it appears Hathaway is looking better in his place

Engelland I agree Is valuable he's at the top end of the low cost dependable dmen and agreed we need his toughness.

Raymond is obviously out of our plans and if he can't be moved should be bought out.

Stajan is just too expensive for his role,and needs to be moved for whatever we can get. Gotta be some teams that heed contracts to hit the floor?

If you're looking at order of preference to move. I completely agree. 

But when I say Engellend and Bollig are most likely, I mean most likely for other teams to willingly take off our hands. 

Smid's injury history will scare off basically any other team. Wideman's cap hit (and ongoing ref animosity) makes him hard to trade even with retained salary. Stajan might be able to be shopped as depth, but will be difficult. 

Engelland I'd be comfortable with  for 1.5-2 mil. He's about a million overpaid. If he was the only one, that would be tolerable, but unfortunately he's one of six. 

I'm sure Backlund will come up in trade talks, but I think that's a mistake. At this point, other than Stajan, he's our veteran of the forwards (that's a bit surprising to say). He's a good 3rd line center who can play top 6 in injury. If we're going to go for the cup, that's the depth we need in that role. 

While we do have a lot of potentially promising centers coming up (Jankowski, Arnold, etc) none of them are at that level yet, and trading him weakens our team for 2-4 years. Unless we're getting Price, Lunkquist or Quick, not a player I move for a goalie. Especially given we have Gillies coming in sooner or later. 

I agree that there are players we should be moving in the off season. Wideman, Bollig, Stajan and Engelland would top my list. However, I also think there are problems with moving them as we might not be able to move them on their own. Could a few be packaged together to address our team needs? I think that is probably more realistic than a 1 for 1 swap (be it player or pick). I also don't see the need to include Backland in any trade discussions. A UFA goaltender is not worth as much to this team as he is...just my opinion though.     

Smid I'm hoping will retire,Bollig needs to be moved for sure as it appears Hathaway is looking better in his place

Engelland I agree Is valuable he's at the top end of the low cost dependable dmen and agreed we need his toughness.

Raymond is obviously out of our plans and if he can't be moved should be bought out.

Stajan is just too expensive for his role,and needs to be moved for whatever we can get. Gotta be some teams that heed contracts to hit the floor?

If Smid retires, could he retire like pronger? Wouldn't he want the insurance money?

If Smid retires, could he retire like pronger? Wouldn't he want the insurance money?

Ya totals man.  Smid has 3.5-million reasons to sit on the IR the whole year.  There's no sane reason to voluntarily retire and forfeit that money.  His playing career is basically over due to injury so take the money while he can.

If Smid is sitting on the IR don't we get his salary in cap relief so long as he's on there? 

In that case, I'd be happy to have him on IR all year so long as we could use his salary to pay someone else. (that alone would solve some of our cap problems)

If you're looking at order of preference to move. I completely agree. 

But when I say Engellend and Bollig are most likely, I mean most likely for other teams to willingly take off our hands. 

Smid's injury history will scare off basically any other team. Wideman's cap hit (and ongoing ref animosity) makes him hard to trade even with retained salary. Stajan might be able to be shopped as depth, but will be difficult. 

Engelland I'd be comfortable with  for 1.5-2 mil. He's about a million overpaid. If he was the only one, that would be tolerable, but unfortunately he's one of six. 

I'm sure Backlund will come up in trade talks, but I think that's a mistake. At this point, other than Stajan, he's our veteran of the forwards (that's a bit surprising to say). He's a good 3rd line center who can play top 6 in injury. If we're going to go for the cup, that's the depth we need in that role. 

While we do have a lot of potentially promising centers coming up (Jankowski, Arnold, etc) none of them are at that level yet, and trading him weakens our team for 2-4 years. Unless we're getting Price, Lunkquist or Quick, not a player I move for a goalie. Especially given we have Gillies coming in sooner or later. 

IMO Backlund gets way more credit than he deserves and I would be willing to try another 3rd line C heading into next year. Secondly, his perceived value may be what helps us get the goalie we are seeking.

I agree it is almost a given BT won't be able to clean house entirely of these overpaid contracts however I expect he will be trying.

There was interest in Wideman, hopefully it is still there. It would be great if we could park Smid on the long term IR and not have his salary effect the cap (if possible). These two moves alone would be a great start.

IMO Backlund gets way more credit than he deserves and I would be willing to try another 3rd line C heading into next year. Secondly, his perceived value may be what helps us get the goalie we are seeking.

I agree it is almost a given BT won't be able to clean house entirely of these overpaid contracts however I expect he will be trying.

There was interest in Wideman, hopefully it is still there. It would be great if we could park Smid on the long term IR and not have his salary effect the cap (if possible). These two moves alone would be a great start.

Backlund is a good 2 way player, he usually doesn't score the timely goals but he'll contribute in other ways. I'm not a huge Backlund fan but I do find he fits a role on this team. To be honest I'd look at a contract like Boumas and be a bit more concerned. After seeing Hathaway the last week, Bouma is in that overpaid category. His style of play pretty much ensures he likely won't be available for a full 82 games. I get the he plays a heart and soul role and u need those kinds of players but Hathaway has looked more effective in one week than Bouma or Bollig for that matter have all year long.

• Like 1

Backlund is a good 2 way player, he usually doesn't score the timely goals but he'll contribute in other ways. I'm not a huge Backlund fan but I do find he fits a role on this team. To be honest I'd look at a contract like Boumas and be a bit more concerned. After seeing Hathaway the last week, Bouma is in that overpaid category. His style of play pretty much ensures he likely won't be available for a full 82 games. I get the he plays a heart and soul role and u need those kinds of players but Hathaway has looked more effective in one week than Bouma or Bollig for that matter have all year long.

Still a Bouma fan and fast becoming a Hathaway fan, one is LW the other RW and we could use both next year IMO. If Backlund were traded the player I would like to see as a 3rd line C is Colborne. I think Colborne is better suited as a C and half the price. If they could move Stajan, I would like to see Grant as the 4th line C.

3rd - Bouma, Colborne, Hamilton

4th - Ferland, Grant, Hathaway

If Smid is sitting on the IR don't we get his salary in cap relief so long as he's on there?

In that case, I'd be happy to have him on IR all year so long as we could use his salary to pay someone else. (that alone would solve some of our cap problems)

I think, in the offseason his salary still counts toward the cap. But you're allowed to go over a bit and just not sure how much?

It makes me wonder what the year would be like had he got to play the season. The thing about energy guys is, they get the team going and change momentum, the energy becomes contagious. Relying solely on Ferland to bring that to the team is too much to ask.

It's what makes LA's bottom 6 so good, or other team's.

I think you're right. Bouma is a bit overpaid. Also, having those two the whole year would've changed things too.

I think our bottom 6 all year has been quiet. Hathaway brings more BOOM to it. I hope he can continue that style so the other energy guys can feed off it. It will also help with possession numbers as well.

A good forechecking and cycling game helps keep pucks in their end. :)

It makes me wonder what the year would be like had he got to play the season. The thing about energy guys is, they get the team going and change momentum, the energy becomes contagious. Relying solely on Ferland to bring that to the team is too much to ask.

I think you're right. Bouma is a bit overpaid. Also, having those two the whole year would've changed things too.

I think our bottom 6 all year has been quiet. Hathaway brings more BOOM to it. I hope he can continue that style so the other energy guys can feed off it. It will also help with possession numbers as well.

I think if you are going to pay a player to do some scoring for you such as Bouma you place him where he might achieve the goal. This IMO is the 3rd line with some linemates that also have that capability. Give them the ice time and see what they chip in.

I think if you are going to pay a player to do some scoring for you such as Bouma you place him where he might achieve the goal. This IMO is the 3rd line with some linemates that also have that capability. Give them the ice time and see what they chip in.

I would say, yes... They were paying him 'playing with Backlund' money. Maybe he gets close if the injuries didn't happen and he played with Backs.

It's really tricky, i don't dislike Bouma just think he always poses the injury risk. He plays hard no doubting that but for the past week Hathaway has been a menace. Bouma missing that open net last night didn't help, he doesn't score often but u have to bury those! I still like Bouma on the team but I think he can contribute more offensively.

I'd agree with you, our bottom 6 hasn't had much of an identity this year. I can't even call them an energy/checking line because the bottom 6 has been really quiet as you mentioned. This year it's a far cry from all the career seasons the Flames players had last year, still think they can add more size and skill to the bottom 6

Ya totals man.  Smid has 3.5-million reasons to sit on the IR the whole year.  There's no sane reason to voluntarily retire and forfeit that money.  His playing career is basically over due to injury so take the money while he can.

probably worth noting that here are no reports at this time that his playing career is over. Last year the same thing happened and he wound up playing so not sure we should be speculating his career is over. 

I think, in the offseason his salary still counts toward the cap. But you're allowed to go over a bit and just not sure how much?

If Smid can't play then he likely will just go on LTIR for the season and with LTIR you get to exceed the salary cap by the amount of the players contract. So Flames could exceed the cap by 3.5 million next season if Smid stays on LTIR the whole season. 

So downside of LTIR is that the Flames would have to now prior to the season whether or not Smid can or cannot play. If its a situation where Smid wants to play but has to see how training camp goes it probably won't impact their offseason plans.

I think this is exactly it. 

But his season really got de-railed by injuries. Hard to fault him for that. 

A full healthy season of Bouma and Hathaway makes things quite interesting. 

I was looking at the Washington Capitals and they are a prime target for having some players available due to cap issues.

Marcus Johansson is a guy that I wouldn't mind targeting. Skilled winger who is extremely versatile, similar to Frolik but better offensively. Washington isn't going to be able to re-sign him as a RFA.

Tom Wilson is another RFA. He is a beast, not sure what kind of a raise he is looking at, but he would look good on our 3rd line.

Dmitry Orlov is another RFA. He is having a break out year and is making $2m and will be looking for a raise. Could probably step into our top 4.

If we could get one or more of these that would great. The player I really want us Phillip Grubauer, I hardly hear about him but he has put up impressive numbers every where he has gone. Very unlikely that he is moved as he is under contract for next season at $750,000 which is extremely good value. He is a player to watch for next off-season.

I'm not so sure I agree their situation is that dire. I just a quick roster on CapFriendly and with Wilson at 1 mill, Orlov at 4 mill and Johannson at 4.25 mill they still only count 68 mill against the cap and that was with an extra roster player. Then next year they lose Oshie/Williams for a combined 7.5 mill.

I think they CAN re sign them but whether they want to is the question. But having said that becuase they have the choice I think the price to get any of those guys will be high. 

I'm not so sure I agree their situation is that dire. I just a quick roster on CapFriendly and with Wilson at 1 mill, Orlov at 4 mill and Johannson at 4.25 mill they still only count 68 mill against the cap and that was with an extra roster player. Then next year they lose Oshie/Williams for a combined 7.5 mill.

I think they CAN re sign them but whether they want to is the question. But having said that becuase they have the choice I think the price to get any of those guys will be high.

Fair enough. For some reason I thought they were closer to the cap.

Fair enough. For some reason I thought they were closer to the cap.

They were but they moved Laich which cleared them of 4 mill. If they hadn't of done that they would have been in real cap problems. 

Having said that, you could be right next summer with Kunetsov is due. He's heading towards an 8-9 million AVV deal which would eat up a hung chunk of losing Oshie/Williams and Andre Burkovsky is heading towrads a contract too.

They'll have to make some decisions, but they are in the driver seat. However, I do agree with you that I would be talkign to them pretty heavily. 

Laich was always one of my fave bottom 6 guys.

Rather than Johannson, I'd inquire about Burakovsky as his ELC plays out. He's a bit redundant on their roster, but has the skill and intensity that would suit us.

2nd line of Bura-Bennet-Frolik? Assuming we get a #1 RW from Finland.

Anyone think Poirier is going to become a top 6 RW?

Laich was always one of my fave bottom 6 guys.

Rather than Johannson, I'd inquire about Burakovsky as his ELC plays out. He's a bit redundant on their roster, but has the skill and intensity that would suit us.

2nd line of Bura-Bennet-Frolik? Assuming we get a #1 RW from Finland.

Anyone think Poirier is going to become a top 6 RW?

I think the emergence of Burakovsky is one of the reasons that they might make Johansson available.

Burkovsky can play in the top 6 and replace Johansson at a fraction of the cost, so I see them being reluctant to move him.