The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

IMO Backlund gets way more credit than he deserves and I would be willing to try another 3rd line C heading into next year. Secondly, his perceived value may be what helps us get the goalie we are seeking.

I agree it is almost a given BT won't be able to clean house entirely of these overpaid contracts however I expect he will be trying.

There was interest in Wideman, hopefully it is still there. It would be great if we could park Smid on the long term IR and not have his salary effect the cap (if possible). These two moves alone would be a great start.

I forget, is next season Wideman's last season on his contract? 

I think it's easier for teams to eat that one year in a deal as it's not a very long commitment, and some teams need that offensive D-guy. 

I forget, is next season Wideman's last season on his contract?

I think it's easier for teams to eat that one year in a deal as it's not a very long commitment, and some teams need that offensive D-guy.

It is. And I think there is a chance the Flames can move him this summer as a result.

It is. And I think there is a chance the Flames can move him this summer as a result.

I think that's why Burke said his contract was trade-able at the deadline. The team who would have gotten him was probably willing to eat his last year too.

And that there was interest.

Even with the suspension I don't see Wideman as a problem to move if his contract is in the 3 mill range.  1 year deal for 3 million for a guy who can play and QB a PP and is notorious for bouncing back after down years, I think there would be several teams intrested in that. 

I don't think there are going to be issues moving him personally, just depends on what the Flames would prefer in terms of do they want to eat more money and get less in return or maybe eat less money and get a player back. 

Hearing the Senators are not keen on Hoffman anymore.  He's RFA at the end of the season, and they went through an arbitration with him last year.  Was benched the other night and has been demoted to fourth line.  Might be a nice pick up.

Maybe we could ask about Lazar as well?  He's a right shot, but they have him centering the fourth line.  Could move him to the right side maybe and develop him as a winger.  He seems a bit underutilized by Ottawa.

Hearing the Senators are not keen on Hoffman anymore.  He's RFA at the end of the season, and they went through an arbitration with him last year.  Was benched the other night and has been demoted to fourth line.  Might be a nice pick up.

Maybe we could ask about Lazar as well?  He's a right shot, but they have him centering the fourth line.  Could move him to the right side maybe and develop him as a winger.  He seems a bit underutilized by Ottawa.

I dont see why they have such a problem with hoffman, hes a consistent goal scorer and has been pretty successful in his short career. 

I don't see OTT giving Hoffman up easily but I would take him here for sure. What could the Flames put on the table ?

According to his coach its his two way play and lack of attention in that area. Read an article where Camerson basically said he doesn't feel he can trust him in that area.

I'm leary of trading for Hoffman. I agree that he would take alot and he is 1 year away from UFA. You either give up a fair bit and give him a good sized contract or you give up a fair bit in trade and then see him test the FA market anyway.

Not the best target IMO for where the Flames are right now. 

According to his coach its his two way play and lack of attention in that area. Read an article where Camerson basically said he doesn't feel he can trust him in that area.

I'm leary of trading for Hoffman. I agree that he would take alot and he is 1 year away from UFA. You either give up a fair bit and give him a good sized contract or you give up a fair bit in trade and then see him test the FA market anyway.

Not the best target IMO for where the Flames are right now. 

Offer up Stajan and something else for him. Stajan is an OTT local with maybe some of the leadership that team lacks. He might be Cameron's kind of player.

The college free agent market is pretty thin this year, but one guy I like that is out there is Brandon Tanev. He plays in straight lines, skates and works hard, good on the PK. Might end doing what Noel Acciari is doing for Boston right now, similar type player.

Nick Ellis is another guy who could be interesting, but I doubt he would want to come and back up Gillies after doing that for the last few years. Ellis is putting up almost identical numbers to Gillies. He might decide to go back to school for one more year.

Yakupov has requested a trade out of Edmonton. He's listed as a left shot RW, and could come relatively cheap. He won the rookie scoring race, but has arguably been misused ever since. Could be a nice reclaimation project for us. Oilers would likely want some kind of D-man for him. Maybe Kulak and a second? Wotherspoon?

I wouldn't do anything more than a 3rd for Yakupov. He lacks high end hockey sense and best case scenaior right now is he becomes an "OK" 2nd liner just based on his shot and release and i'm not trading a 2nd for that. I'd be find swapping prospects but it would have to be someone the Flames don't really need/want and no one comes to mind. I'm not Wotherspoon's biggest fan but I think they need the depth on D in the next year or two. I'd move Kulak straight across but that is it.

Long story short, I woudln't give up alot and I think the Oilers are going to be very reluctant to trade him to the Flames unless they get fair value. I'm just not willing to give up alot for a guy I don't think will amount to much at the NHL level. 

The only way I can see the Oiler's deal Yakupov to the Flames is if they don't have a good alternative offer.  Even then I think your talking about a player for player swap.  Maybe something like Colborne and a third.  

I think the Oilers are better off trying to include him in a package for a better player.  

Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) tweeted at 10:17 AM on Mon, Mar 28, 2016:

PIT, NSH, CGY amongst at least half dozen teams interested in UFA Daniel Pribyl, a 23-yr-old, 6-3 skilled F who plays for Sparta Praha.

Pribyl is a 6'3" 238lbs right shot forward. He has 45 points in 45 Czech League games.

PIT, NSH, CGY amongst at least half dozen teams interested in UFA Daniel Pribyl, a 23-yr-old, 6-3 skilled F who plays for Sparta Praha.

Pribyl is a 6'3" 238lbs right shot forward. He has 45 points in 45 Czech League games.

Thats a big boy. Best player not in the NHL probably!

The only way I can see the Oiler's deal Yakupov to the Flames is if they don't have a good alternative offer.  Even then I think your talking about a player for player swap.  Maybe something like Colborne and a third.  

I think the Oilers are better off trying to include him in a package for a better player.  

There are teams that will make an offer for Yak, but it won't be much more than they were offered at the TDL (3rd rounder).  We have some depth with defensive prospects, and it would not surprise me if we offered one of the more ready prospects like Kulak and a pick.  

I think Yak could be a good player with the right team and coach.  Could he be a RW on Johnny's line?  Maybe.  He has the type of one-timer that line needs.  Would he respond to Hartley?  Why not.  McLellan is a bit hard-nosed and Yak probably was at the end of his rope at that point.  

This interests me from the perspective of a big winger.  Totally lacking on this team.  We have a few Czechs that he could spend time with.  Might also help if we had both Frolik and Nakladal on the roster.  

I wouldn't do anything more than a 3rd for Yakupov. He lacks high end hockey sense and best case scenaior right now is he becomes an "OK" 2nd liner just based on his shot and release and i'm not trading a 2nd for that. I'd be find swapping prospects but it would have to be someone the Flames don't really need/want and no one comes to mind. I'm not Wotherspoon's biggest fan but I think they need the depth on D in the next year or two. I'd move Kulak straight across but that is it.

Long story short, I woudln't give up alot and I think the Oilers are going to be very reluctant to trade him to the Flames unless they get fair value. I'm just not willing to give up alot for a guy I don't think will amount to much at the NHL level. 

What about Pollock for Yak ?

I like it.

Interesting. 

What would he likely cost? 

What about Pollock for Yak ?

Reasonable from a Flames perspective but I don't see Oilers going for it. I think they'll get a similar offer from other teams and just to potentially save themselves the embarasment of Yakupov playing against them for so many years will ask for more from Flames than they will other teams.

So end of the day, I think Pollock for yak is reasonable for the Flames but I think the Oilers will get either better offers or at the very least offers just as good that they will pick over the Flames offer. I woudln't add anymore (unless its like a 5th rounder or something). 

Reasonable from a Flames perspective but I don't see Oilers going for it. I think they'll get a similar offer from other teams and just to potentially save themselves the embarasment of Yakupov playing against them for so many years will ask for more from Flames than they will other teams.

So end of the day, I think Pollock for yak is reasonable for the Flames but I think the Oilers will get either better offers or at the very least offers just as good that they will pick over the Flames offer. I woudln't add anymore (unless its like a 5th rounder or something). 

I don't think they really care about him playing the Oilers in the future as much as they want to get something for a 3rd line player that isn't interested in playing for the Oilers.  Not that the Flames have what it takes to make the deal, but they are in dire need of a puck moving, offensive D-man.  Sekera is their to scoring D-man right now, and they have the worst offensive stats from the backend in the league.  How about Wideman and a prospect or pick?  Solves one of their problems.  Overpaid?  Sure.  Possibly retail 1/2 in salary.  Able to contribute offense?  Sure.  

Lets face it, the Oilers are not getting a stud d-man out of it.  They would likely get no more than a 3rd line player in return.  

I don't think they really care about him playing the Oilers in the future as much as they want to get something for a 3rd line player that isn't interested in playing for the Oilers.  Not that the Flames have what it takes to make the deal, but they are in dire need of a puck moving, offensive D-man.  Sekera is their to scoring D-man right now, and they have the worst offensive stats from the backend in the league.  How about Wideman and a prospect or pick?  Solves one of their problems.  Overpaid?  Sure.  Possibly retail 1/2 in salary.  Able to contribute offense?  Sure.  

Lets face it, the Oilers are not getting a stud d-man out of it.  They would likely get no more than a 3rd line player in return.  

Don't agree, I think any time a GM wants to trade a player they want to keep them far aways as possible. When Cory Schenider was on the block, its well reported Flames and Oilers were both interested but the premium to get him was higher than what the Devils paid.  Even Treliving has admitted that they tried to move Baertschi elsewhere and didn't really want to trade him to Vancouver but Canucks were the only team that offered a 2nd, everyone else was much lower. 

The Oilers are not going to get much for Yakupov for sure I don't disagree there. I think they'll be lucky if they get a 2nd or pretty good prosepct out of the deal to be hoenst. I'm not sure they are even going to get an NHL talent for him unless its part of a bigger package. Wideman? not a chance. You are not going to do your provincial rival a favor by taking one of their bad contracts off their hands AND give them a talent young player. 

Interesting. 

What would he likely cost? 

Not much. He has to sign an Entry Levl deal, never played in the NHL before, so thats maximum 900k with potetnial bonuses invovled that can drive it anywhehre from an extra 900K to an extra 2.5mill or so. 

Can't say I know anything about him so can't comment if he would be an NHL additional or a depth audition and spend some time in the AHL (would strongly guess the later) but always worth brining in extra guys at a position you are shallow at. 

How about yakapov for Wideman straight up? He's more or less like glencross was to the flames playing from reduced minutes acting like winer. The oiler could do worse the an actual NHL dman that could run at minimum their 2nd pp like wideman.