The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Not much. He has to sign an Entry Levl deal, never played in the NHL before, so thats maximum 900k with potetnial bonuses invovled that can drive it anywhehre from an extra 900K to an extra 2.5mill or so. 

Can't say I know anything about him so can't comment if he would be an NHL additional or a depth audition and spend some time in the AHL (would strongly guess the later) but always worth brining in extra guys at a position you are shallow at. 

I wouldn't be adverse. Same cost as a RW in the draft then. 

If we could snag him AND one of the top 3, our RW problems would be solved pretty much instantly. Which is attractive. And neither of them would likely be exposed to the expansion draft (unless KHL playing counts against the "professional" league years?)

Don't agree, I think any time a GM wants to trade a player they want to keep them far aways as possible. When Cory Schenider was on the block, its well reported Flames and Oilers were both interested but the premium to get him was higher than what the Devils paid.  Even Treliving has admitted that they tried to move Baertschi elsewhere and didn't really want to trade him to Vancouver but Canucks were the only team that offered a 2nd, everyone else was much lower. 

The Oilers are not going to get much for Yakupov for sure I don't disagree there. I think they'll be lucky if they get a 2nd or pretty good prosepct out of the deal to be hoenst. I'm not sure they are even going to get an NHL talent for him unless its part of a bigger package. Wideman? not a chance. You are not going to do your provincial rival a favor by taking one of their bad contracts off their hands AND give them a talent young player. 

Not that Yak has any say in the matter, but moving him out of the Pacific division may not be an option for the Oilers.  

The Wideman reference was at 1/2 salary, so they only take on 2.6m for a 2.5m player; almost a wash.  They get to try him out for a year without any huge commitment.  They are not going to get a Hamonic for Nuge, Eberle or Yak.  Wideman isn't in the same ballpark, but the cost is lower.  

I don't think Chia is as worried about in-division trades as some of the others have been.  Anything that brings results better than 30th place would be an improvement for that team.

I don't think divisional trades are that big a deal anymore.

We traded twice with Vancouver the last two years.

Vancouver traded Bieksa to the Ducks in the off-season. Those are two examples, but my guess is, it'll matter more when both teams are contenders.

Vancouver traded Bieksa to the Ducks in the off-season. Those are two examples, but my guess is, it'll matter more when both teams are contenders.

its never really been that they don't happen and i'm not saying they won't trade him to the Flames. What I'm saying is if all deals are equal why are you going to trade him to your rival when you can trade him elsewhere? so the idea that the Flames can scoop him up for taking Wideman off their hands or for a 3rd is wishfull thinking. I have no doubt the OIlers would trade him to the Flames if they had the best offer and I don't think Yak is wroth your best effort.

For example, if teams are offering a 3rd Flames would likely need to offer a 2nd to get him, That's not worth it IMO. That is my point. The Flames could acquire him but they likely will have to pay more than other teams in order to do so which is pretty common when you see inter division trades. I don't think Yak is the type of player you overpay for as I don't see his NHL future being that bright. 

its never really been that they don't happen and i'm not saying they won't trade him to the Flames. What I'm saying is if all deals are equal why are you going to trade him to your rival when you can trade him elsewhere? so the idea that the Flames can scoop him up for taking Wideman off their hands or for a 3rd is wishfull thinking. I have no doubt the OIlers would trade him to the Flames if they had the best offer and I don't think Yak is wroth your best effort.

For example, if teams are offering a 3rd Flames would likely need to offer a 2nd to get him, That's not worth it IMO. That is my point. The Flames could acquire him but they likely will have to pay more than other teams in order to do so which is pretty common when you see inter division trades. I don't think Yak is the type of player you overpay for as I don't see his NHL future being that bright. 

We don't need him.

They are still pretty rare and almost exclusively involve depth players. Especially when your talking rivals like Edmonton and Calgary. Baertschi was moved to Vancouver, but if you believe Treliving that was the only solid offer.

Edmonton's preference would be to move Yakupov anywhere other then Calgary so we would need to be the only or the best offer.

I don't think they should go for him. he needs too much work.

I think so as well. He may be speedy and have a decent shot, but IMO it's the hockey IQ that is ultimately hurting him. IIRC that was the knock against him when he was drafted.

I don't think they should go for him. he needs too much work.

He needs years of Oiler coaching and teamwork beaten out of him.  I don't know if he would be a fit on the Flames, but there are tons of examples of players that turned around completely after trades.  

I would not advocate trading much of real value.  Which is why I suggested Wideman and a lesser prospect or pick.  May be the highest they can get for him, considering his perceived attitude or defensive problems.

So Jimmy Vessey just informed Nashville that he will be exercising his right to go to UFA. There are lots of indications that he would like to sign with Toronto, his dad is a scout for the Leafs and his brother was drafted by the Leafs.

I think Calgary should at least throw an offer on the table for this kid. There are a lot of people saying that he is ready to step into a top 6 role right now. He is a goal scorer and would slot nicely onto the 2nd line LW alongside Bennett.

So Jimmy Vessey just informed Nashville that he will be exercising his right to go to UFA. There are lots of indications that he would like to sign with Toronto, his dad is a scout for the Leafs and his brother was drafted by the Leafs.

I think Calgary should at least throw an offer on the table for this kid. There are a lot of people saying that he is ready to step into a top 6 role right now. He is a goal scorer and would slot nicely onto the 2nd line LW alongside Bennett.

If he happened to sign in Toronto, do you think that Nashville would cry foul?  How many of his family is employed by the Leafs?  His father is a scout and his brother is a prospect I believe.

If he happened to sign in Toronto, do you think that Nashville would cry foul? How many of his family is employed by the Leafs? His father is a scout and his brother is a prospect I believe.

If the Leafs sign him and I'm David Poile I would go on a Hulk like rampage, but it wouldn't accomplish anything. It is really hard to prove interference in this case and there really is nothing Nashville can do. They had 4 years to sign him and couldn't get it done.

If the Leafs sign him and I'm David Poile I would go on a Hulk like rampage, but it wouldn't accomplish anything. It is really hard to prove interference in this case and there really is nothing Nashville can do. They had 4 years to sign him and couldn't get it done.

4 years to sign him is a bit of a stretch.  If a player decides to finish his degree, they really only had from the point where he is eliminated on his senior year to August 15th.  I hear what you are saying though.  Shanny says that Vesey Sr. approached the Leafs for the job.  You know that the NHL would never go after Shanny.

Do flames need more Bodie. ? Mathew Bodie rangers ahl captain. outscored gotisbehere incollege.Anybody else heard about or seen this guy play? Maybe can flip grinder bollig and/or agastino, hathaway

Daniel Pribyl we should take a run at him as the cost is minimal. With YAK we should take a run at as well. What is the market price of the player? The value is not as high as the Oilers would think, imho we could and should put forth an offer. The kid may require some work but will contribute on the score sheet with points. So what is the cost for a current 25-30 point RW

4 years to sign him is a bit of a stretch. If a player decides to finish his degree, they really only had from the point where he is eliminated on his senior year to August 15th. I hear what you are saying though. Shanny says that Vesey Sr. approached the Leafs for the job. You know that the NHL would never go after Shanny.

I agree there should be tampering penalties but it won't happen. This is just like Erixon, his father worked and used to play for the Rangers so it was pretty obvious what happened and nothing happened there either.

But personally I'd like to see the NHL step in and strip Toronto of their first round pick..but.like I said it won't happen even though I think it's pretty transparent what happened here.

• Like 1

Unless there is a smoking gun, its next to impossible to prove there was any tampering. Not to mention the NHL had a chance to close this loophole with the last CBA negotiation and did not. Hard to punish a team or a player because they operated under a rule that not everyone likes. 

Not to mention I find it very hard to believe that the entire reason Vesey choose to go UFA is because the Leafs have promised they would sign him. 29 Teams are going to send him offers or put a call into the agent the second they can.

Unless there is a smoking gun, its next to impossible to prove there was any tampering. Not to mention the NHL had a chance to close this loophole with the last CBA negotiation and did not. Hard to punish a team or a player because they operated under a rule that not everyone likes.

Not to mention I find it very hard to believe that the entire reason Vesey choose to go UFA is because the Leafs have promised they would sign him. 29 Teams are going to send him offers or put a call into the agent the second they can.

See the thing with these kids, is its not about the money because every team will have the same money offer. It's about the opportunity or preference. Nashville promised him a top 6 place and playoffs this year.. So it's not the opportunity cuz it doesn't get better than that. A month ago he told Poile he was going to sign.

Now suddenly they can't even get a meeting with the kid and he's done a 180 and is going free agency AND not burning a year so if anything he's giving up money..so why the change in preference?

Sorry..the smoke coming out of that gun is pretty thick

• Like 1

Is Vesey even good?  Should we be interested in him?

Maybe, but I already dont like his attitude.. he'll be a good fit for the Leafs

Is Vesey even good?  Should we be interested in him?

Check out his points total in his junior and senior year....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=155338

He's a winger, so it accounts for more goals.  But, he seems to be pretty good.  Not Johnny Hockey good, but over a p/gp and 0.72 g/pg.  The latter is more impressive than points.

Is Vesey even good? Should we be interested in him?

He is good and yes we should be interested in him.

What attitude? I don't buy the fact that he is exercising his rights to pick where he plays for the next few years to mean he has an attitude problem.

Does every other player who has reached UFA status and decides to see what his options are have a bad attitude?

See the thing with these kids, is its not about the money because every team will have the same money offer. It's about the opportunity or preference. Nashville promised him a top 6 place and playoffs this year.. So it's not the opportunity cuz it doesn't get better than that. A month ago he told Poile he was going to sign.

Now suddenly they can't even get a meeting with the kid and he's done a 180 and is going free agency AND not burning a year so if anything he's giving up money..so why the change in preference?

And if he decides to sign somewhere other than Toronto?

Boston is said to be pretty high on the list for landing spots as well.

I dont think its an attitude thing. But it could be about the money while he cant be offered a big 5 million a year deal. There is a difference between the ELC deals he could be offered including the bonus money he could be offered. I dont think thats the issue, but I wonder why he doesnt want to play in nashville with the opportunity offered to him. 

Based on stats alone, I like Shinkaruk's stats in the AHL more than Vesey's stats in college.   Both players LHS LW.  I would only bring in Vesey if he is clearly better than Shinkaruk.  We simply have too many LHS LWs.  Unless, there's something about Vesey's game that we desperately need.

You proved my point. Everything you just said there is 100% circumstantial and would go nowhere as to prove there is tampering. You would need proof that the Leafs or someone in the Leafs specificlaly told him they would be interested in him if he choose to become a UFA.  Good luck with that.  

Plus how do you know it was the Leafs? Like i said, Vesey and his "agent" and family are not stupid, they knew (without being told by the Leafs) that if they go UFA they will get a ton of offers so why is you think that he would need to be tampered with in order to know that? do you really think if the Leafs, or any team for that matter, had of said nothing to him it would change his mind and he would want to play in Nasvhville? i don't belive that, not for a second. if Vesey truly wanted to play in Nashville he would have signed there last summer when reportadly the Preds wanted him to. He did exactly what Erixon did, he had a decision in mind and he utlizied his rights under the CBA to get it.