The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Based on stats alone, I like Shinkaruk's stats in the AHL more than Vesey's stats in college.   Both players LHS LW.  I would only bring in Vesey if he is clearly better than Shinkaruk.  We simply have too many LHS LWs.  Unless, there's something about Vesey's game that we desperately need.

I like Vesey but I do agree with this. Between Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Gaudreau, Mangiapane, upcomign draft, the Flames have enough of that type of player. when you have a chance to pick up any prospect for just a contract you do it, so I would expect the Flames to be interested but don't go all in. they don't "need" Vesey, but never hurts to have more talent. 

I like the idea of going after the big Czech. A low cost trial offer to see how he does is low risk. As for Yakupov, it all depends on cost. At 2.5 million for 1 season and RFA still, if you can shed other salary then I think the risk is manageable, even if he doesn't work out. If you can work a package deal, even better.

Wideman and Agostino or similar prospect for Yak and a prospect. Edmonton gets an upgrade at D and Calgary gets a project and cap space.

I think this is not a great trade but not bad either. Unlikely to happen but who knows.

• Like 1

You proved my point. Everything you just said there is 100% circumstantial and would go nowhere as to prove there is tampering. You would need proof that the Leafs or someone in the Leafs specificlaly told him they would be interested in him if he choose to become a UFA.  Good luck with that.  

Plus how do you know it was the Leafs? Like i said, Vesey and his "agent" and family are not stupid, they knew (without being told by the Leafs) that if they go UFA they will get a ton of offers so why is you think that he would need to be tampered with in order to know that? do you really think if the Leafs, or any team for that matter, had of said nothing to him it would change his mind and he would want to play in Nasvhville? i don't belive that, not for a second. if Vesey truly wanted to play in Nashville he would have signed there last summer when reportadly the Preds wanted him to. He did exactly what Erixon did, he had a decision in mind and he utlizied his rights under the CBA to get it. 

not denying it was his right .. until we close the loophole kids are gonna keep doing it.

but you cant deny the evidence is there.. like i said , what offers?.. up to 30 teams are going to have identical offers.

Unless Poile is lying ,  the kid said a month ago he was intent on signing , otherwise poile was going to trade his rights.. if he knew then ?. he should have said so ..  also , why  block all contact all of a sudden, he couldn't give the Preds the courtesy of telling them in person ?

not denying it was his right .. until we close the loophole kids are gonna keep doing it.

but you cant deny the evidence is there.. like i said , what offers?.. up to 30 teams are going to have identical offers.

Unless Poile is lying ,  the kid said a month ago he was intent on signing , otherwise poile was going to trade his rights.. if he knew then ?. he should have said so ..  also , why  block all contact all of a sudden, he couldn't give the Preds the courtesy of telling them in person ?

Not pretty and I agree it doesn't make Vesey look very good, the misleading part, but again have fun proving that it was in fact the Leafs that talked him into it or presented him with something to change his decision. Until you find that proof, its all circumstantial and will go nowhere.  If the Leafs had make public statements on Vesey I would understand but because they didn't you need to find a document, email etc something that links them with Vesey. Good luck finding that.

I think what is equally as probable is the Agent made the call, not another organizaiton. Of course he said he would sign at the deadline, he didn't want his rights traded. If he told the Preds at the deadline he wasn't going to sign they would have dealt his rights whereever they wanted to and whoever gave them the best deal. Thats not what Vesey and his "agents" wanted. 

They wouldnt be 30 identical offers. 

Its totally possible his intent was on signing, and he changed his mind when he thought about it or maybe the predators initial money offer wasent what he wanted. There is still alot of play between 550k to 900k on the contract, and bonus money.

Not much. He has to sign an Entry Levl deal, never played in the NHL before, so thats maximum 900k with potetnial bonuses invovled that can drive it anywhehre from an extra 900K to an extra 2.5mill or so. 

Can't say I know anything about him so can't comment if he would be an NHL additional or a depth audition and spend some time in the AHL (would strongly guess the later) but always worth brining in extra guys at a position you are shallow at. 

If you could sign D.Pribyl as a UFA I would think he has to be worth a look as we are looking for RW options.

I'd be kind of leery on Elliotte as an option for goaltending. He's done well in St. Louis. I wonder how much of that is systems though. With Hitchcock their coach, it's all defensive. So his numbers should be good if he's even an average goalie. 

They haven't really shown confidence in him either. They've always tried to get other goalies in Miller, Halak, etc. If we're looking for a backup who can step up when needed to start in injury situation, maybe he's the answer, but maybe not as a starter. 

I'd be kind of leery on Elliotte as an option for goaltending. He's done well in St. Louis. I wonder how much of that is systems though. With Hitchcock their coach, it's all defensive. So his numbers should be good if he's even an average goalie. 

They haven't really shown confidence in him either. They've always tried to get other goalies in Miller, Halak, etc. If we're looking for a backup who can step up when needed to start in injury situation, maybe he's the answer, but maybe not as a starter. 

With all the injuries to the Blues goalies this season it is a wonder how the goalies keep such great stats. Kudos to the goalies and the system.

I would certainly be talking with them about their goaltenders and seeing if there is one we can trade for that won't cost an arm, a leg and our first born...

ac60607bc5a56ccdc7ec3a143d82f816.png

I have never understood the reasoning about Elliot always being viewed as a backup only. His numbers have been  starter numbers for awhile now. 

I like the idea of going after the big Czech. A low cost trial offer to see how he does is low risk. As for Yakupov, it all depends on cost. At 2.5 million for 1 season and RFA still, if you can shed other salary then I think the risk is manageable, even if he doesn't work out. If you can work a package deal, even better.

Wideman and Agostino or similar prospect for Yak and a prospect. Edmonton gets an upgrade at D and Calgary gets a project and cap space.

I think this is not a great trade but not bad either. Unlikely to happen but who knows.

You're not going to be able to dump Wideman's cap hit without taking on some bad salary in return.

I was just listening to Elliott Friedman on the Fan960 at around the 17 min mark of his 24 min segment, he talked about Wideman and the possibility of wanting a change of scenery. This is own speculation... The year was just too wonky and a change might be good for both the team and the player. Friedman likened it to the Bryan Berard eye injury. There was just too much bad memories to continue with the Leafs and how Wideman's year went, it's somewhat similar with the season ending injury. 

He thought Wideman would be a perfect fit in Edmonton. I wouldn't know what the exchange would be, but I think right now, anything would be nice, just to get rid of the contract. But Friedman thinks there are teams willing to give Wideman a year, but Edmonton is a perfect fit. Wideman is also a trade chip at the deadline if Edmonton takes the chance. So there's value. 

I haven't really been too worried about getting a deal done for Wideman this summer, but I think there's something to be done it will be available. Being that it's the last year of his contract, I don't even think we're going to need to fork out any of the contract. Maybe we'd need to take a player back who's a quarter of his contract? I dunno... 

Would it be a multi-player deal with Edmonton? Friedman figured, we made the Smid deal a few years ago, that thought of not trading is kind of old school. 

I wouldn't trade him to Edmonton, simply because they have nothing that I'd want in return. But if he'd be up for being moved, I'd definitely be interested. 

The question of course comes down to Salary and if we actually manage to clear any out of the deal. 

As far as major changes to team management foreshadowing significant trades, to date the only team that has pulled the trigger on a major change is Ottawa, with a smaller change in Arizona.  No change to date in any of Boston, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Calgary or Toronto.

That might open up some interesting options with Ottawa, as they have some excellent players that might be available (e.g. Hoffman & Chiasson) and draft possibilities with Arizona should we win the #1OA pick, with Merkley, Domi or Duclair coming back?

I wouldn't trade him to Edmonton, simply because they have nothing that I'd want in return. But if he'd be up for being moved, I'd definitely be interested. 

The question of course comes down to Salary and if we actually manage to clear any out of the deal. 

Due to big extensions to a few of our youth, just getting rid of Wideman could be the value in the trade. So if they send back a pick, that's worth it in the end. 

• Like 1

and draft possibilities with Arizona should we win the #1OA pick, with Merkley, Domi or Duclair coming back?

I was thinking about a trade with Arizona and if we did win the lottery and 1st over all.

to Ari.

1st OA

Wideman

Rammond

to Cal.

Ari 1st rnd pick

Rangers 1st rnd Pick

Christian Fischer RW 19 YO 6.1 212

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/christian-fischer

We now have potentially 3 1st rnd picks and cap space to bring in a goalie and a RW. I also see Christian as a top 6 in a year or 2.

Ari is not giving up too much for the rights to pick mathews.

I might be interested in a Yak for Wideman swap.  Fair value going in both directions.  A top 4 D-man for a top 9 forward.  Both had bad years.  Both are potentially better players.  

Interesting,

Would you go:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Yakupov

Or

Ferland, Bennett, Yakupov

?

I like the idea of players being two-way players, but I think there has to be leeway with some and you put them in positions to succeed. For me, that's playing a non-defensive player with players who can cover. 

I might be interested in a Yak for Wideman swap.  Fair value going in both directions.  A top 4 D-man for a top 9 forward.  Both had bad years.  Both are potentially better players.  

I kind of think we'd have to give them a bit more in return. I know Yakupov is not living up to his contract, but being a former 1st overall, he must have some value to him?

I was thinking about a trade with Arizona and if we did win the lottery and 1st over all.

to Ari.

1st OA

Wideman

Rammond

to Cal.

Ari 1st rnd pick

Rangers 1st rnd Pick

We now have potentially 3 1st rnd picks and cap space to bring in a goalie and a RW. I also see Christian as a top 6 in a year or 2.

1OA + Cap dump + cap dump

for

2 first rounders and a decent prospect? 

I don't think Arizona is that hard up. Take off Raymond and I think you might have a possibility of it working. 

I've never liked Yak, and I think he's going to be one heck of a reclamation project. I'd be surprised if he ever lived up to his 1 OA status, but IDK. I've been wrong before. 

Interesting,

Would you go:

Gaudreau, Monahan, Yakupov

Or

Ferland, Bennett, Yakupov

?

I like the idea of players being two-way players, but I think there has to be leeway with some and you put them in positions to succeed. For me, that's playing a non-defensive player with players who can cover. 

I kind of think we'd have to give them a bit more in return. I know Yakupov is not living up to his contract, but being a former 1st overall, he must have some value to him?

Assuming we did that, and given that apparently we're getting Pyrbil I'd be looking at: 

Gaudreau - Monahan - Yakapov (if he can't produce with this line, he's really doing something wrong)

Ferland* - Bennett - Pyrbil

*Or Shinkaruk if Colborne is out of price to re-sign. 

I would leave Wideman out of any deal regarding our 1st rounder if it's considered a cap dump. I think we can get a deal done with him alone and that ends up being without dumbing down our 1st rounder. I would try get as much value for the pick as possible if we won the lottery.

I wonder if Raymond can be had for an Eastern Conference team?

I think moving Raymond is basically a pipe dream. He started well here in 14-15, got injured, and has never played well since. With his cap hit I cant imagine any team taking him on. 

Due to big extensions to a few of our youth, just getting rid of Wideman could be the value in the trade. So if they send back a pick, that's worth it in the end. 

There was reported interest in Wideman around the TDL maybe that transfers over in the offseason. Call it a feeling but I think we will get trade, I just don't think Edmonton will be the landing spot. As you have said, I don't think BT will want much back, happy to move out the contract.

If someone is wiling to take Wideman you DO NOT get picky about who it is and what you are getting especially if its for full salary. If its for reduced salary I agree, but at 5 million the value in moving Wideman is in the money you save on the cap and what comes back is quite frankly, irrelevant. 

to Ari.

1st OA

Wideman

Rammond

to Cal.

Ari 1st rnd pick

Rangers 1st rnd Pick

That has to be the worst suggestion I have seen.  We give up a 1st overall to have someone take Wideman and Raymond for a year.

All we get back is a middling pick in the first round (Rangers), Arizona's (at best top 3), plus a prospect.  If we hung onto Wideman until TDL, we might get a decent pick back just for him.  

If the Flames ever made that trade, the pitchforks would be out in force.  If you are giving up a player like Matthews, the return should be at least 2nd overall, top prospects, and a young stud roster player.  Polluting the deal with Raymond and/or Wideman makes no sense.

That has to be the worst suggestion I have seen.  We give up a 1st overall to have someone take Wideman and Raymond for a year.

All we get back is a middling pick in the first round (Rangers), Arizona's (at best top 3), plus a prospect.  If we hung onto Wideman until TDL, we might get a decent pick back just for him.  

If the Flames ever made that trade, the pitchforks would be out in force.  If you are giving up a player like Matthews, the return should be at least 2nd overall, top prospects, and a young stud roster player.  Polluting the deal with Raymond and/or Wideman makes no sense.

I know someone has likely addressed this previously but what is the effect on this cap when you buydown a player's contract to move him. The other question is there a limit to how many players a GM can do this with ? The main players we should move are Wideman, Stajan and Raymond and I would have to think taking 2M off Wideman and 1M each off Stajan and Raymond per remaining year makes all moveable.

I know someone has likely addressed this previously but what is the effect on this cap when you buydown a player's contract to move him. The other question is there a limit to how many players a GM can do this with ? The main players we should move are Wideman, Stajan and Raymond and I would have to think taking 2M off Wideman and 1M each off Stajan and Raymond per remaining year makes all moveable.

I'm assuming you mean retained salary.

You can retain up to 50% off the contract up to a maximum of 3 contracts and a maximum of 11 million dollars (15% of the projected cap next year). 

I personally think the only player it will matter for is Wideman. Stajan and Raymond are not moveable IMO even with salary retained. Team can find a better option internally or in FA than Raymond and Stajan at 2 more years I think removed any value he would have. I think the Flames are stuck with both until they expire which isn't the end of the world either. 

I'm assuming you mean retained salary.

You can retain up to 50% off the contract up to a maximum of 3 contracts and a maximum of 11 million dollars (15% of the projected cap next year). 

I personally think the only player it will matter for is Wideman. Stajan and Raymond are not moveable IMO even with salary retained. Team can find a better option internally or in FA than Raymond and Stajan at 2 more years I think removed any value he would have. I think the Flames are stuck with both until they expire which isn't the end of the world either. 

Yes retained salary. Say you can move all 3 in this way, what amount weighs against our cap totals, anything ? or the retained portion for the balance of their contracts ?