The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Hamilton cost us our 1st and 2 - 2nds rounders if I'm not mistaken. if we take Neimi and get that 1st back then we have the ammunition to try for either Andersen or Vasilevskiy should they be available. Neimi could be someone we leave unprotected in expansion.

No one is going to claim Niemi in an expansion draft as there will be other, and better, goalies available. Niemi is not a very good goalie and for 2 more yers at 4.5, Yikes. I want no part, even if Dallas was offering their first (which they wouldn't)

There will be goalies moved and I really don't think the Flames need to scrap the bottom of the barrell for guys like Bernier or Niemi. They are very far down the list of guys you reasonably want to look at and I don't see a scenario where the flames would have to stoop that low. There are going to be a fair amount of goalies on the market IMO and I think the Flames have the ammunition to be involved in alot of those talks. 

I think we would have to do this deal prior to FA.  I would hold off on Wideman and try to use something else we don't really need.  Actually bring back something usefll, you know, like a RW?

We'd need to clear salary like Wideman's to cover Bernier's 4.1 for the year.

Frankly I don't see Bernier worth that but it's only for 1 year & we need a goalie with some NHL experience.

Frankly I don't see Bernier worth that but it's only for 1 year & we need a goalie with some NHL experience.

This is how I see it, part of BT's mandate has to be clearing out some redundant players.

I think we would have to do this deal prior to FA.  I would hold off on Wideman and try to use something else we don't really need.  Actually bring back something usefll, you know, like a RW?

How about Wideman for Joffrey Lupal , he is a RW.

I was thinking something like Matty Franchise and Bollig.  Those would equal the cap of Bernier.  In the process, we rid ourselves of a two-year contract.  I don't hate Matty, but feel he could become a hindrance this season.

Getting rid of Wideman is still a necessity, but I would try to peddle him for something better than a one-year, possibly backup quality only goalie. 

No one is going to claim Niemi in an expansion draft as there will be other, and better, goalies available. Niemi is not a very good goalie and for 2 more yers at 4.5, Yikes. I want no part, even if Dallas was offering their first (which they wouldn't)

There will be goalies moved and I really don't think the Flames need to scrap the bottom of the barrell for guys like Bernier or Niemi. They are very far down the list of guys you reasonably want to look at and I don't see a scenario where the flames would have to stoop that low. There are going to be a fair amount of goalies on the market IMO and I think the Flames have the ammunition to be involved in alot of those talks. 

Just a thought

This is how I see it, part of BT's mandate as to be clearing out some redundant players.

How about Wideman for Joffrey Lupal , he is a RW.

I don't know what's Lupul's problem is.  He seems to miss half a season every year for some reason or another.  I never saw him as playing a heavy game.  The other thing is Lupul's contract is equally bad as Wideman's for an extra year.  Pass.

If Lupul only had a year left I would make that trade but I agree wth TD the 2nd year kills it. Lupul is very injury prone so you can count on him for more than 40-50 games. That's expansive at 4mill.

I don't know what's Lupul's problem is.  He seems to miss half a season every year for some reason or another.  I never saw him as playing a heavy game.  The other thing is Lupul's contract is equally bad as Wideman's for an extra year.  Pass.

I wasn't serious about Lupal. If there is a deal out there for Wideman, BT should take it IMO.

I wasn't serious about Lupal. If there is a deal out there for Wideman, BT should take it IMO.

There are so many trades suggested that some are actually reasonable.  I don't even think I would do Smid for Lupul.   :lol:

And that's saying something.  

To me, the priorities for being traded are:

Wideman *

Smid

Raymond

Stajan *

Bouma *

* - some trade value

As much as I dislike Bollig's play, we could live with him.  Assuming of course that he doesn't play more than 30 games.  He can easily be waived and you get back most of his cap (all but $950k I believe).  Bouma, I just feel we have too much cap tied up in him.

I guess it depends on whether a new coach values shot blocking over ability to drive the play.

There are so many trades suggested that some are actually reasonable.  I don't even think I would do Smid for Lupul.   :lol:

And that's saying something.  

To me, the priorities for being traded are:

Wideman *

Smid

Raymond

Stajan *

Bouma *

* - some trade value

As much as I dislike Bollig's play, we could live with him.  Assuming of course that he doesn't play more than 30 games.  He can easily be waived and you get back most of his cap (all but $950k I believe).  Bouma, I just feel we have too much cap tied up in him.

I guess it depends on whether a new coach values shot blocking over ability to drive the play.

I don't think we are all that strong with bottom 6 LWers so I would be keeping Bouma. Bollig just hasn't filled the bill here and can go. Smid has to be dealt with in some way other than trading him, that just isn't going to happen. Wideman and Stajan have value but we likely have to retain some salary. Raymond likely has value maybe as much as Jones, take a 6th round pick for him.

I don't think we are all that strong with bottom 6 LWers so I would be keeping Bouma. Bollig just hasn't filled the bill here and can go. Smid has to be dealt with in some way other than trading him, that just isn't going to happen. Wideman and Stajan have value but we likely have to retain some salary. Raymond likely has value maybe as much as Jones, take a 6th round pick for him.

Raymond is likely a buyout, since he had two opportunities to be claimed for nothing.  He's in the same status as Kotalik, so I don't want to give up something else just to trade him.  And I don't want to take on a worse contract or more years just to get rid of him. There's always a chance, though.

Bouma's contract is the most depressing part, but he also had a bad year - injuries, low scoring, and boat anchor stats.  I think we could get similar results from a low-cost bottom 6 LW.  Agostino plays a hard nosed game. Klimchuk may even be an option, as he is a defense-first type player.   

If Smid was healthy day 1 for next season, there might be a chance (read slim to none) of trading him.  Buyout is likely the answer.

I think everyone is selling Wideman a little short.  One year at $5.25m is a good option for teams in need.  It's a low risk move that can always bring you back assets at TDL.  If we weren't going to be so strapped for cap, I would even suggest keeping Wideman and flipping him at TDL.  

So, if we traded Bouma and Stajan, bought out Smid (unless he retired) and Raymond, we could wait for the best offer for Wideman.  We have Gio-Brodie, Jokipakka-Hamilton, Engelland/Nakladal/Wideman.  Engelland and/or Wideman could be traded this summer or at TDL.

Just some thoughts.  

Raymond is likely a buyout, since he had two opportunities to be claimed for nothing.  He's in the same status as Kotalik, so I don't want to give up something else just to trade him.  And I don't want to take on a worse contract or more years just to get rid of him. There's always a chance, though.

Bouma's contract is the most depressing part, but he also had a bad year - injuries, low scoring, and boat anchor stats.  I think we could get similar results from a low-cost bottom 6 LW.  Agostino plays a hard nosed game. Klimchuk may even be an option, as he is a defense-first type player.   

If Smid was healthy day 1 for next season, there might be a chance (read slim to none) of trading him.  Buyout is likely the answer.

I think everyone is selling Wideman a little short.  One year at $5.25m is a good option for teams in need.  It's a low risk move that can always bring you back assets at TDL.  If we weren't going to be so strapped for cap, I would even suggest keeping Wideman and flipping him at TDL.  

So, if we traded Bouma and Stajan, bought out Smid (unless he retired) and Raymond, we could wait for the best offer for Wideman.  We have Gio-Brodie, Jokipakka-Hamilton, Engelland/Nakladal/Wideman.  Engelland and/or Wideman could be traded this summer or at TDL.

Just some thoughts.  

I see it a bit different but that's ok.

Just some thoughts.  

I think you (among others) sell Stajan short. A  Swiss army knife @ forward that can still outplay many on the Flames. He's a great backup plan whenever a forward is injured. I can't say that about many on this team. Worst case scenario we retain 0.5-1 for 2 years but get a decent pick/prospect in return.

Wideman is tradeable & I wouldn't wait until the deadline if we got an offer. He's useful but we need the cap $s.

@ 2.2 x 2 Bouma is the 1 I'd wait until the deadline to trade as he's decent & affordable depth then.

Raymond with retained salary (most of it like 1.0 for that year) traded is cheaper than a buyout. Smid on LTIR doesn't hurt our cap except during the summer. I doubt he'll play much if ever so it frees space for recalls from the AHL.

Both as buyouts are small savings in the now & hits on next year cap. Try the buyout calculator on General Fanager to see what I mean.

I think you (among others) sell Stajan short. A  Swiss army knife @ forward that can still outplay many on the Flames. He's a great backup plan whenever a forward is injured. I can't say that about many on this team. Worst case scenario we retain 0.5-1 for 2 years but get a decent pick/prospect in return.

Wideman is tradeable & I wouldn't wait until the deadline if we got an offer. He's useful but we need the cap $s.

@ 2.2 x 2 Bouma is the 1 I'd wait until the deadline to trade as he's decent & affordable depth then.

Raymond with retained salary (most of it like 1.0 for that year) traded is cheaper than a buyout. Smid on LTIR doesn't hurt our cap except during the summer. I doubt he'll play much if ever so it frees space for recalls from the AHL.

Both as buyouts are small savings in the now & hits on next year cap. Try the buyout calculator on General Fanager to see what I mean.

In Wideman's case.. if its true that NMC's will be protected in expansion whether UFA or not, he needs to be gone by training camp.. cant risk losing a top 3 just because we have to protect him 

I agree on Bouma, you kind of have to let him try to play up to that contract playing on the 3rd line with Backlund and maybe this Pribyl. If it does appear to be working out look to see if there is a TDL deal for him. the main thing for Bouma is to stay healthy and play.

As far as Wideman, Stajan, Raymond, Bollig and Smid go, BT needs to find the most economical means to get them off our roster this offseason. I don't think we need a lot back for any of them.

The problem with Stajan this season is the contract.  Two more years at $3.1m.  This year more so, though.  We have holes that need to be plugged, so paying that much for the 4th line center is going to hurt us.  It's really hard to tell how he stacks up as a utility forward, since he hasn't been used that much by Hartley.  Regardless, he is an expensive insurance policy.

Wideman or Bouma could be the one held onto until TDL, yes.  If the offer is there for Wideman, fine.  If it isn't and we have cap space to fix the other holes while keeping him, fine.  

Smid seems to be out if the woods re: injury.  I suggested buying him out, as he may not be on IR at all.  The buyout savings for Smid is $2.6m this season ($833k cap hit) and $1.33m cap hit next year.  The now really helps.  Raymond is similar in savings now ($2.1m) and hit is $1.05m this and next year.  Add those two and you are saving $4.7m Y1.  

The problem with Stajan this season is the contract.  Two more years at $3.1m.  This year more so, though.  We have holes that need to be plugged, so paying that much for the 4th line center is going to hurt us.  It's really hard to tell how he stacks up as a utility forward, since he hasn't been used that much by Hartley.  Regardless, he is an expensive insurance policy.

Wideman or Bouma could be the one held onto until TDL, yes.  If the offer is there for Wideman, fine.  If it isn't and we have cap space to fix the other holes while keeping him, fine.  

Smid seems to be out if the woods re: injury.  I suggested buying him out, as he may not be on IR at all.  The buyout savings for Smid is $2.6m this season ($833k cap hit) and $1.33m cap hit next year.  The now really helps.  Raymond is similar in savings now ($2.1m) and hit is $1.05m this and next year.  Add those two and you are saving $4.7m Y1.  

Are you saying no team will take Stajan at say 2M per season ? we all agree here that we don't want him around at all let alone at the expense and lack of use for him here.

Why in the world would you advocate to keep Wideman at his price as a 3rd pairing defenseman ? that makes zero sense for us.

Perhaps BT in the end uses the buyout option for Smid and Raymond given the hit for 1 year.

Are you saying no team will take Stajan at say 2M per season ? we all agree here that we don't want him around at all let alone at the expense and lack of use for I'm here.

Why in the world would you advocate keep Wideman at his price as a 3rd pairing defenseman ? that makes zero sense for us.

Perhaps BT in the end uses the buyout option for Smid and Raymond given the hit for 1 year.

I don't think I said anything about the ability to trade Stajan.  I was talking about the impact of his cap this year and the cost of him as an insurance policy.

I advocate whatever brings back the best return for the Flames.  If there is no offer this summer, and we have cap savings elsewhere, then you keep Wideman for a better return at TDL.  Does that help?

I don't think I said anything about the ability to trade Stajan.  I was talking about the impact of his cap this year and the cost of him as an insurance policy.

I advocate whatever brings back the best return for the Flames.  If there is no offer this summer, and we have cap savings elsewhere, then you keep Wideman for a better return at TDL.  Does that help?

Not really however if there are no offers or deals to be had for these players the team will have to deal with it. I believe the discussion was geared towards a reality of methods to make it possible to trade them.

Mentioned it elsewhere, but how about dealing for Rinne.  If Wideman was part of that deal, that would kill two birds.  Otherwise, it may require some retained salary on their part.  

Any suggestions on the deal?  

Mentioned it elsewhere, but how about dealing for Rinne.  If Wideman was part of that deal, that would kill two birds.  Otherwise, it may require some retained salary on their part.  

33 years old and 3 more years at 7 mill per? No thanks. Not even if they took Wideman AND Stajan. That contract is going to be a massive anchor in a year or two, maybe sooner...

Mentioned it elsewhere, but how about dealing for Rinne. If Wideman was part of that deal, that would kill two birds. Otherwise, it may require some retained salary on their part.

Right because Nashville wants to allocate more money to their blueline? They could has interest in a stajan and someone like raymond would fit in there but theyre still going to want some value coming back because i doubt theyve given up on rinne yet.

Right because Nashville wants to allocate more money to their blueline? They could has interest in a stajan and someone like raymond would fit in there but theyre still going to want some value coming back because i doubt theyve given up on rinne yet.

The Preds definately don't need Wideman but I see them trading for Stajan (especially if they don't need to give much in return). They need help on all forward lines especially with Fisher & Rebeiro being 36.

Behind Rinne all the Preds have are rookies. I can't see a GM like Poile that's always been a goalie/defense/forward guy (in that order) starting next season with 2 rookies.

The Preds definately don't need Wideman but I see them trading for Stajan (especially if they don't need to give much in return). They need help on all forward lines especially with Fisher & Rebeiro being 36.

Behind Rinne all the Preds have are rookies. I can't see a GM like Poile that's always been a goalie/defense/forward guy (in that order) starting next season with 2 rookies.

How about Petter Granberg coming back our way, RHD with good size ?

How about Petter Granberg coming back our way, RHD with good size ?

I'd do it. Doubt Poile would though. Granberg was 1 of the few good things TML had @ RD & Nashville got him free. Poile has a good eye for defense and @ 23 Granberg looks like he'll be a 4/5 soon. 13:43 on his test drive means confidence.

The trend here seems to be buy out Stajan or trade him with retained salary for a used jock. Let's not get greedy like those up North & scuttle a trade.

Act wisely BT as we need the cap space.