The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

So now you want to play assessor ? Suggesting SB at this time and place in his development into the NHL is hardly a bust and is very much a planned piece of this team's future. I would dare say Backlund is not, he will be useful for another year of transition and maturing then if they keep him he is a 3rd line C making 3.75M.

Sure I am making a case for Palmieri but I have also made a case for Brouwer which you object to as well. No GM is simply going to filter in the prospects we have for the needs of the team. As JTech tried to point out we do not have a top line RW in our mist now or coming so the task is to get a temporary plug or a player that can grow with the core. You could be right that NJD have no intentions of trading Palmieri so be it, the search continues IMO not ends by trying every Poirier type as an experiment. Would you see this as fair to SM and JG ? I wouldn't.

MAC331, just joking about SB.  HaHaHa on me.....  As we saw last summer BT has a laser-like focus on filling specific needs.  Since 1RW still seems to be wide open I agree we can likely expect a potential trade or UFA signing to fill that spot.  The one caveat I think we have to keep in mind is with a new coach BT might want to re-look at internal options prior to making a move.  Like I said elsewhere, within 6 weeks we'll all have a much clearer view of where the Flames are heading for the next several years.

I will also say the team's biggest priority for the next year is significant development of our many prospects.  Doing so and moving 6-8 kids to solid NHLers over the next two years is going to serve the team way better than signing 2-3 UFA saviours while letting the kids twist in the wind.

MAC331, just joking about SB.  HaHaHa on me.....  As we saw last summer BT has a laser-like focus on filling specific needs.  Since 1RW still seems to be wide open I agree we can likely expect a potential trade or UFA signing to fill that spot.  The one caveat I think we have to keep in mind is with a new coach BT might want to re-look at internal options prior to making a move.  Like I said elsewhere, within 6 weeks we'll all have a much clearer view of where the Flames are heading for the next several years.

I will also say the team's biggest priority for the next year is significant development of our many prospects.  Doing so and moving 6-8 kids to solid NHLers over the next two years is going to serve the team way better than signing 2-3 UFA saviours while letting the kids twist in the wind.

I knew that. I will go a step further and say with a new coaching staff and possibly a new mandate there could be all kinds of changes with current players. I think you have to look at the 25 year olds still either RFA or trying to earn a spot and decide if they are keepers. Believe me I am all for developing from within but there will be times where there are noticeable time gaps to fill the main team's roster from within.

I always hope no one on here gets to worked up over any suggestion for discussion and spitballing, we all wants what is best for the team and us as fans of course.

• Like 1

So now you want to play assessor ? Suggesting SB at this time and place in his development into the NHL is hardly a bust and is very much a planned piece of this team's future. I would dare say Backlund is not, he will be useful for another year of transition and maturing then if they keep him he is a 3rd line C making 3.75M.

I have a bit of an issue with that part regarding Backlund. Injuries were a problem and probably the main reason he didn't get more then 3 years on his contract extension, but you have to admit that since he became a regular top6 player for us in late November of the 13/14 season he did pretty well in that role.

I mean it's tough to call someone a 3rd line center, when he shuts down the opponents top lines and has been better then 0,5 ppg in the past three seasons. Especially the 14/15 season impressed me, when he did that while playing with the likes of Colborne, Bouma and Jones.

That said I think our Center situation is very similar to that of Anaheim. We have a Nr.1 Center in Monahan (Getzlaf), we have a very good Shutdown Center In Backlund (Kesler) and hopefully a 2nd scoring Center in Bennett (Rackell). And that is really how I view it going forward. We don't have a clear cut 2nd and 3rd line, it's more of a 2a-2b scenario. And I like that not only for next season, but ideally for many to come.

I think the most interesting thing to see next season is how Bennett does at Center for a full season.

I have a bit of an issue with that part regarding Backlund. Injuries were a problem and probably the main reason he didn't get more then 3 years on his contract extension, but you have to admit that since he became a regular top6 player for us in late November of the 13/14 season he did pretty well in that role.

I mean it's tough to call someone a 3rd line center, when he shuts down the opponents top lines and has been better then 0,5 ppg in the past three seasons. Especially the 14/15 season impressed me, when he did that while playing with the likes of Colborne, Bouma and Jones.

That said I think our Center situation is very similar to that of Anaheim. We have a Nr.1 Center in Monahan (Getzlaf), we have a very good Shutdown Center In Backlund (Kesler) and hopefully a 2nd scoring Center in Bennett (Rackell). And that is really how I view it going forward. We don't have a clear cut 2nd and 3rd line, it's more of a 2a-2b scenario. And I like that not only for next season, but ideally for many to come.

I think the most interesting thing to see next season is how Bennett does at Center for a full season.

I have no qualms with Backlund, he is a good player. I too have been touting the 2A and 2B scenario for us for at least next season. It will depend on what progress can be made with a Bennett line regarding what happens for 2017/18. Anyways I don't think he will be going anywhere at least for next season.

• Like 1

I have no qualms with Backlund, he is a good player. I too have been touting the 2A and 2B scenario for us for at least next season. It will depend on what progress can be made with a Bennett line regarding what happens for 2017/18. Anyways I don't think he will be going anywhere at least for next season.

I can agree to that, although I think it takes a minimum 2 seasons before Bennett becomes a true top6 Center. I think next season the plan for him should be just getting comfortable at this position in the NHL, while upping his scoring points.

Now back to topic, if we are looking for a top6 RW that can be acquired in a trade, would Rick Nash make sense?

Now back to topic, if we are looking for a top6 RW that can be acquired in a trade, would Rick Nash make sense?

He's a LW.

Even there @ 7.8 x 2 we can't afford him.

He's a LW.

I know, but i'm pretty sure he played on the RW before in Columbus.

I'm not to familiar with the Rangers situation, but it looks like they could deal a big contract in order to re-sign their RFA's and extent Yandle( or adding another Top4)

So I'm guessing that if they want to have a bit more cap space, that Nash could be available. Of course, there would have to come contracts back to the Rangers to make that work.

I was thinking something like Colborne, Raymond and our 35th round pick could be a solid offer.

That would open up somewhere between $2.5-4.5 million, depending what they do with Raymond, gives them a middle sixer in Colborne and they are adding a high 2nd, since they don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick.

We upgrade from Colborne ($2mil + $2.2mil from Raymond being in the minors) to Nash. After that deal there would still be some work to do, but it's not impossible.

He's a LW.

Just say no to Nash.  Would welcome back Iggy before I would take Nash.  And I don't really want Iggy to come back.

He seems to be trending down.  Colborne outscored him this year.  

Just say no to Nash.  Would welcome back Iggy before I would take Nash.  And I don't really want Iggy to come back.

He seems to be trending down.  Colborne outscored him this year.  

Agree on Nash, I was never a fan.  He seems over-hyped and priced, doesn't come through in the pinch nor raise the level of line mates.  I'd prefer many others over him.

I can agree to that, although I think it takes a minimum 2 seasons before Bennett becomes a true top6 Center. I think next season the plan for him should be just getting comfortable at this position in the NHL, while upping his scoring points.

Sorry but we have to think of RWer at a much lesser cost than Nash.

He's a LW.

Hey FF, do you think WPG would part with Adam Lowry for any of the prospects we have in surplus ie. Klimchuk ?

Watch for Detroit to move a defenseman. Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul and Nick Jensen are all waiver eligible.

I would love to get Ouellet or Sproul.

Watch for Detroit to move a defenseman. Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul and Nick Jensen are all waiver eligible.

Sproul would be my choice, good size RHD close to making the jump. Have to keep up the watch on this, good find.

I know we are trying to improve the roster, but why would we want to take on a waiver eligible (expansion as well) player right now? We can't protect him in the expansion draft, or at least we shouldn't.  

I know we are trying to improve the roster, but why would we want to take on a waiver eligible (expansion as well) player right now? We can't protect him in the expansion draft, or at least we shouldn't.

With the quality of players that will be available in the expansion draft, I don't think we will have to worry too much about guys like Ouellet or Sproul. I don't think you can let an expansion draft that hasn't even been confirmed stop you from improving your roster.

• Like 1

With the quality of players that will be available in the expansion draft, I don't think we will have to worry too much about guys like Ouellet or Sproul. I don't think you can let an expansion draft that hasn't even been confirmed stop you from improving your roster.

Agreed

I don't know the players, so was speculating that trading anything of value for a player that could be claimed is risky.  Sure, we don't know if and when the expansion will happen.  But you have to manage risk.  If there is no draft in 2017, and the players are worth pursuing, then sure.  Otherwise, no.

It's pretty unlikely Ouellete it Sproul would be claimed in an expansion draft. They'd have to take major leaps forward in their games as right now both are still projects and I also think you they are both to the point where you have to question their upside. There will be more NHL ready talent or better talent that the flames are going to have to leave unprotected than these two.

I'd have s one interest in Sproul but I would also question where he is an upgrade over Nakladl. Great shot and could maybe be a weapon on the PP but his defensive game hasn't come around like you'd want. I'd you can get him real cheap he's worth a shot but he may not stick in the NHL all year.

It's pretty unlikely Ouellete it Sproul would be claimed in an expansion draft. They'd have to take major leaps forward in their games as right now both are still projects and I also think you they are both to the point where you have to question their upside. There will be more NHL ready talent or better talent that the flames are going to have to leave unprotected than these two.

I'd have s one interest in Sproul but I would also question where he is an upgrade over Nakladl. Great shot and could maybe be a weapon on the PP but his defensive game hasn't come around like you'd want. I'd you can get him real cheap he's worth a shot but he may not stick in the NHL all year.

I always question what kind of asset would we have to give in order to get a player like Sproul ? Would we simply swap a prospect we don't see ourselves resigning ? I wouldn't mind the acquisition of a few more RHD even if he plays another year in the AHL.

I have always been partial to Ouellet, really smart player. He isn't great in one area but he is very solid all over the ice.

I always question what kind of asset would we have to give in order to get a player like Sproul ? Would we simply swap a prospect we don't see ourselves resigning ? I wouldn't mind the acquisition of a few more RHD even if he plays another year in the AHL.

But he would have to be sneaked down to the AHL.  Same risk that Detroit has by keeping them, but in our case we trade for a play then have to waive him.  

But he would have to be sneaked down to the AHL.  Same risk that Detroit has by keeping them, but in our case we trade for a play then have to waive him.  

THX I guess I am to used to the baseball system where players come with options remaining. What is it when players sign these two way contracts and how can they be used or in what circumstances ?

A late pick probably or maybe you swap prospects. It's a deal like Reinhart, Colborne or Hamilton. You give up a little something rather than Detroit lose then for nothing. Price is probably very low though.

But he would have to be sneaked down to the AHL. Same risk that Detroit has by keeping them, but in our case we trade for a play then have to waive him.

You only acquire him if you think he's has a shot to play in the NHL. I think Sproul could compete with Nakladl for a spot on this team as a RH guy so that is why I would have interest. I don think you acquire him to put him in the AHL unless you are very sure he will clear waivers or the pick is a contiional one like it was when flames traded Reinhart or acquired Freddie Hamilton.

Sorry but we have to think of RWer at a much lesser cost than Nash.

Hey FF, do you think WPG would part with Adam Lowry for any of the prospects we have in surplus ie. Klimchuk ?

I'd like him wearing the Flaming "C" myself but the Jets management likes him just fine for the role he fills. I have to agree with them as he quickly became 1 of my favorites along with Buff & Wheeler (after he started using his size).

Man would Wheeler look good patrolling that RW with Gaudreau & Monahan. But that's another the Jets will hold onto & we can't afford him @ 5.6 although that's a much better price than Nash for what Wheeler brings to the ice.

I have always been partial to Ouellet, really smart player. He isn't great in one area but he is very solid all over the ice.

I don't mind Ouellete as a player I just think they have players like him in their system already. I'd rather give internal guys a shot than get him but the the only RH shot who is close is Morrison and I don't think he is that close. That's really the only reason I would look at a Sproul because I think they have enough young dman knocking on the door that they don't need to acquire more.

I don't mind Ouellete as a player I just think they have players like him in their system already. I'd rather give internal guys a shot than get him but the the only RH shot who is close is Morrison and I don't think he is that close. That's really the only reason I would look at a Sproul because I think they have enough young dman knocking on the door that they don't need to acquire more.

Maybe Morrison for Sproul as it seems Morrison went no where this past season.

I'd like him wearing the Flaming "C" myself but the Jets management likes him just fine for the role he fills. I have to agree with them as he quickly became 1 of my favorites along with Buff & Wheeler (after he started using his size).

Man would Wheeler look good patrolling that RW with Gaudreau & Monahan. But that's another the Jets will hold onto & we can't afford him @ 5.6 although that's a much better price than Nash for what Wheeler brings to the ice.

Barking up the wrong tree eh ? LOL