The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

THX I guess I am to used to the baseball system where players come with options remaining. What is it when players sign these two way contracts and how can they be used or in what circumstances ?

Two-way only relates to salary (ex. 900k in NHL, 80k in AHL).  Players get to waiver status through years and # of games played.  Don't ask me what it is.  I was going on JTech saying they were waiver eligible.

A late pick probably or maybe you swap prospects. It's a deal like Reinhart, Colborne or Hamilton. You give up a little something rather than Detroit lose then for nothing. Price is probably very low though.

You only acquire him if you think he's has a shot to play in the NHL. I think Sproul could compete with Nakladl for a spot on this team as a RH guy so that is why I would have interest. I don think you acquire him to put him in the AHL unless you are very sure he will clear waivers or the pick is a contiional one like it was when flames traded Reinhart or acquired Freddie Hamilton.

Is Sproul worth not bringing Nakladal back ? less expensive for now and Wotherspoon and Kulak (our closest are LHD).

I'd like him wearing the Flaming "C" myself but the Jets management likes him just fine for the role he fills. I have to agree with them as he quickly became 1 of my favorites along with Buff & Wheeler (after he started using his size).

Man would Wheeler look good patrolling that RW with Gaudreau & Monahan. But that's another the Jets will hold onto & we can't afford him @ 5.6 although that's a much better price than Nash for what Wheeler brings to the ice.

Would Stajan with some retained salary and Klimchuk get us Lowry ? these are the types of deals BT needs to be achieving IMO.

I really can't believe how many people are so quick to trade Backlund. The moment he is gone you all will start a thread on the need of a center just like him. He IMHO is miles ahead of Bennett at this point. I will trade flash for responsible every day of the week. I am very interested to see what happens next year. If we actually end up with a coach who allows lines to stay together, how well could the Colbourne / Backlund / Frolik  line really do?

Palmeri is not the RWer we need anyways. We need a physical guy who can keep up with JG and SM. Even If Prybil is not in there league I do think he is going to be tried with them (he won't stay there long). JG is being hacked every shift and if I was as talented as him I would be expecting the team to get ME some protection on MY line.

I don't care who hates me for this but I think we should trade Sam Bennett for Kevin Hayes. We all know that would be one hell of an addition to our top line and would be a great line for years to come.

The point I was trying to make was that Backlund is likely our best trading chip outside of trading any current core piece. Using Backlund can be overcome by picking up another player like him, Stoll as an example.

What I would like to see us do to fill the top RW position is trade for Tyler Toffoli, Charlie Coyle or Kevin Hayes (for me in this order) however some quality from the Flames side would be required. The next question is are they even available just like Palmieri these are young controllable players that every team needs. LAK has some interesting roster consideration with the number of high cost contracts so I would at least be asking about Toffoli.

The point I was trying to make was that Backlund is likely our best trading chip outside of trading any current core piece. Using Backlund can be overcome by picking up another player like him, Stoll as an example.

What I would like to see us do to fill the top RW position is trade for Tyler Toffoli, Charlie Coyle or Kevin Hayes (for me in this order) however some quality from the Flames side would be required. The next question is are they even available just like Palmieri these are young controllable players that every team needs. LAK has some interesting roster consideration with the number of high cost contracts so I would at least be asking about Toffoli.

I worry about the sideways type of moves, like Backlund for a good RW.  Makes us better in one spot, that much worse in another aspect (possession).  A number 2 center for a number 2 RW also seems sideways to me.  You aren't getting a top RW for him.  

We need to hold onto Backlund until a Jankowski takes over, or we can even move Backlund to wing, where he played with (is it) Backes(?) in Europe during the last lockout.

Iginla was a guy who took draws but played the wing. I say keep Backs and move him to wing, play him at C when there's an injury. Keep him for insurance and depth. Just because he is a C doesn't mean he is cemented there.

• Like 1

We need to hold onto Backlund until a Jankowski takes over, or we can even move Backlund to wing, where he played with (is it) Backes(?) in Europe during the last lockout.

Iginla was a guy who took draws but played the wing. I say keep Backs and move him to wing, play him at C when there's an injury. Keep him for insurance and depth. Just because he is a C doesn't mean he is cemented there.

Well you got ther team right:

http://blues.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473534

• Like 1

Just spit balling but how about pick #6 for Joel Armia? 6.3 & 192 pounds. Already has 1 year (43 games anyway) of NHL under his belt.

Just spit balling but how about pick #6 for Joel Armia? 6.3 & 192 pounds. Already has 1 year (43 games anyway) of NHL under his belt.

Straight up?

I like Joel Armia but that value isn't even close. I'm not sure Armia nets you a 1st let alone the a top 10 picks. I would do Armia and Trouba for 6 but nothing less. I don't think Armia is going to wind up as a legit top 6 forward and he still hasn't solidified himself as an NHLer. I think with how good this top 10 is that first rounder has huge value.

I am thinking you forgot to put a 5 after the 6 and meant the 65th pick.

I don't think Armia has much offensive upside at the NHL level. IMO he tops out as a 3rd liner, but there is some potential there so I think 65th pick makes some sense.

I worry about the sideways type of moves, like Backlund for a good RW.  Makes us better in one spot, that much worse in another aspect (possession).  A number 2 center for a number 2 RW also seems sideways to me.  You aren't getting a top RW for him.  

I think it all depends on who you replace Backlund with for his position. he is a #2 C for now with us but a true #3 C on a better team. The players I mentioned for RW are potential #1 RW not #2s, they may be playing slightly lower down on their current teamsbut that isn't what we want them for on our team. I don't see it as a sideways deal at all.

I don't think Armia has much offensive upside at the NHL level. IMO he tops out as a 3rd liner, but there is some potential there so I think 65th pick makes some sense.

I'm guessing the 65th as well and yes I would go for Armia for more options on the RW. We have no idea how Pribyl or any of our current prospects will turn out.

I think it all depends on who you replace Backlund with for his position. he is a #2 C for now with us but a true #3 C on a better team. The players I mentioned for RW are potential #1 RW not #2s, they may be playing slightly lower down on their current teamsbut that isn't what we want them for on our team. I don't see it as a sideways deal at all.

I don't think a lot of teams use their 3rd line to be the checking line against the other teams best. So from that point Backlund would also be the other teams 2nd line center, unless he was need to take on a different role. He excels at this checking role, so I am not sure you would see the other teams pay the price to get him, unless he was needed at that role for them too.

I don't think a lot of teams use their 3rd line to be the checking line against the other teams best. So from that point Backlund would also be the other teams 2nd line center, unless he was need to take on a different role. He excels at this checking role, so I am not sure you would see the other teams pay the price to get him, unless he was needed at that role for them too.

I think that depends on the abilities of any team's make up or quality of overall players. Undoubtedly Backlund as the ability to offer either and that is where the value comes in. I don't think it is going to happen, at least not this offseason but it could.

Did FF ever clarify this about 6th or 65th for Armia ? If he were available BT should have some interest I would think.

Did FF ever clarify this about 6th or 65th for Armia ? If he were available BT should have some interest I would think.

Yes, he stayed quiet, lol.

He said he was spitballing, and that's more than good enough for me. Armia is a guy I would like, but our #6 is too high a price, no big.

What I wonder with the 'peg and ARI, is they have a lot of good talent moving up, they'd have to move some guys to make room or move prospects to strengthen other areas.

I'd have bet my 'nads for bookends the Jets were a playoff team this year, glad I didn't!

Now they get Laine? Serious ouch. They are big and skilled, where they already were imho.

What happened ff?

Yes, he stayed quiet, lol.

He said he was spitballing, and that's more than good enough for me. Armia is a guy I would like, but our #6 is too high a price, no big.

What I wonder with the 'peg and ARI, is they have a lot of good talent moving up, they'd have to move some guys to make room or move prospects to strengthen other areas.

I'd have bet my 'nads for bookends the Jets were a playoff team this year, glad I didn't!

Now they get Laine? Serious ouch. They are big and skilled, where they already were imho.

What happened ff?

I wouldn't mind obtaining someone such Armia for RW vs say Chris Stewart who has been supposedly proving himself every year and going backwards IMO. We need a few RWers but we need the right ones with a strong work ethic and the effort every night. This is why if I'm management and wanting to head into a more aggressive possession style of game I would look at a player such as Brouwer as a UFA for a 3 year deal averaging or being 4.5M.

I wouldn't mind obtaining someone such Armia for RW vs say Chris Stewart who has been supposedly proving himself every year and going backwards IMO. We need a few RWers but we need the right ones with a strong work ethic and the effort every night. This is why if I'm management and wanting to head into a more aggressive possession style of game I would look at a player such as Brouwer as a UFA for a 3 year deal averaging or being 4.5M.

I haven't seen much of the kid in WPG (perhaps FF could shed some light on the player), but there is nothing wrong with looking at the cost to obtain.  He represents what the Flames lack; RHS RW with size.  If all he was able to do was make Jooris redundant, then it might be worth trading prospects for him.  Or a pick or two (not #6).  Or a roster player.  

Our RW ranks are pretty shallow - Frolik and Jooris.  Sure we need a top line RW, but we could also use a top 9 RW that could possibly grow into one, as long as the cost is reasonable.

Some players I think may be reasonable cost to obtain:

Hayes

Kirby Reichel

Armia (assuming that WPG wants to improve their top 9)

Weircioch

I would be ok in deconstructing out bottom 6 to bring in some of these guys.  Adding 2 x RW, a LW and a big LD to help would be a good start.  

I haven't seen much of the kid in WPG (perhaps FF could shed some light on the player), but there is nothing wrong with looking at the cost to obtain.  He represents what the Flames lack; RHS RW with size.  If all he was able to do was make Jooris redundant, then it might be worth trading prospects for him.  Or a pick or two (not #6).  Or a roster player.  

Our RW ranks are pretty shallow - Frolik and Jooris.  Sure we need a top line RW, but we could also use a top 9 RW that could possibly grow into one, as long as the cost is reasonable.

Some players I think may be reasonable cost to obtain:

Hayes

Kirby Reichel

Armia (assuming that WPG wants to improve their top 9)

Weircioch

I would be ok in deconstructing out bottom 6 to bring in some of these guys.  Adding 2 x RW, a LW and a big LD to help would be a good start.  

I really don't think we have what it would take to get Hayes. We actually don't have much to trade with at all. FF mentioned WPG may have some interest in Stajan with some retained salary, does that get us Armia ? Kirby Reichel I could go for him we still need some talented size for LW. Weircioch is a defenseman I'm not sure we need.

I really don't think we have what it would take to get Hayes. We actually don't have much to trade with at all. FF mentioned WPG may have some interest in Stajan with some retained salary, does that get us Armia ? Kirby Reichel I could go for him we still need some talented size for LW. Weircioch is a defenseman I'm not sure we need.

So maybe Hayes for Colborne.  NY gets a center with size.  Both are RFA's.  Colborne could get close to $2m, while Hayes could be about the same.  

Armia is anybody's guess as to his trade value.  

Rychel was a guy wanting out.  His value is not super high, so a swap of prospects may do it.

Wiercioch is just another defender that is young.  Needs better coaching and usage.  We need him as much as we we need Wotherspoon to take the next step.  Whether he is a great player right now or not, having a player with a long reach and size is something we should strive for.  

So maybe Hayes for Colborne.  NY gets a center with size.  Both are RFA's.  Colborne could get close to $2m, while Hayes could be about the same.  

Armia is anybody's guess as to his trade value.  

Rychel was a guy wanting out.  His value is not super high, so a swap of prospects may do it.

Wiercioch is just another defender that is young.  Needs better coaching and usage.  We need him as much as we we need Wotherspoon to take the next step.  Whether he is a great player right now or not, having a player with a long reach and size is something we should strive for.  

Guess we will have to see where the situation goes with Colborne.

Armia and Rychel could be the best ideas so far on here and I have to think BT could find a deal here.

Has Wiercioch been waived already or is that the rumor ? worth keeping an eye on.

Guess we will have to see where the situation goes with Colborne.

Armia and Rychel could be the best ideas so far on here and I have to think BT could find a deal here.

Has Wiercioch been waived already or is that the rumor ? worth keeping an eye on.

I don't know how accurate the reporting was but Ottawa said they are not bringing him back, so possibly not qualifying him.  He could become a UFA.  Ottawa gets nothing that way, so I would think they would trade for something, anything over letting him walk.

With Colborne, I think BT has said that some players performed better when the pressure was off.  He didn't specifically mention Joe, but you have to think he is concerned about another Bouma deal based on a good year.  Trading one RFA for another allows the respective teams to deal based on fact.

I don't know how accurate the reporting was but Ottawa said they are not bringing him back, so possibly not qualifying him.  He could become a UFA.  Ottawa gets nothing that way, so I would think they would trade for something, anything over letting him walk.

With Colborne, I think BT has said that some players performed better when the pressure was off.  He didn't specifically mention Joe, but you have to think he is concerned about another Bouma deal based on a good year.  Trading one RFA for another allows the respective teams to deal based on fact.

I would hope BT doesn't make the same mistake with Joe as he did with Bouma. I think with a new coaching staff coming in we will need to forget fast what took place this past season. We could see a number of deals or only a few to what we have here now.

I would hope BT doesn't make the same mistake with Joe as he did with Bouma. I think with a new coaching staff coming in we will need to forget fast what took place this past season. We could see a number of deals or only a few to what we have here now.

The mistake was not going to arbitration, IMHO.  Bouma would likely have been given 1 or 2 years at $2.0m+, which wouldn't have been unreasonable.  Buying the extra years was more the issue for me.  I imagine that BT didn't want to do the arbitration as it results in ill will.

Joe is a more complicated problem. Do we know what we have with him, or is his play a product of coaching?  First two years as a Flame - 28 points.  Last year 44.  Is he a top 6 or a bottom 6 player?

As a big center, he has some value, more than just a winger.  His lack of physicality is his biggest knock.  Strong on the boards, but doesn't know what to do coming out.  Good at faceoffs, but hasn't scored well in the position.  

The coach will work with what he gets, so I think BT will have a good idea of the players he wants to keep.  He may not get all the deals done that he wants, but I expect a rather active off-season.

The mistake was not going to arbitration, IMHO.  Bouma would likely have been given 1 or 2 years at $2.0m+, which wouldn't have been unreasonable.  Buying the extra years was more the issue for me.  I imagine that BT didn't want to do the arbitration as it results in ill will.

Joe is a more complicated problem. Do we know what we have with him, or is his play a product of coaching?  First two years as a Flame - 28 points.  Last year 44.  Is he a top 6 or a bottom 6 player?

As a big center, he has some value, more than just a winger.  His lack of physicality is his biggest knock.  Strong on the boards, but doesn't know what to do coming out.  Good at faceoffs, but hasn't scored well in the position.  

The coach will work with what he gets, so I think BT will have a good idea of the players he wants to keep.  He may not get all the deals done that he wants, but I expect a rather active off-season.

I like Colborne and I actually think he is growing each year but will not be a top 6 player. He can help up there if injuries occur.

I believe BT will try to keep the money quite reasonable for all 3 of our RFAs but especially Colborne.

Flames did go to arbitration with Bouma and had their hearing. If was the afternoon after that they agreed to the 3 year deal. Probably because they "lost" the case and Bouma was going to get around 2 mill on a 1 or 2 year deal anyway so why not buy a few more years of Bouma?

Maybe a mistake, maybe not but it was very logical what he did. I don't thin it was near the big mistake people make it out to be. I think Treliving got caught in the system more than he made a mistake.