The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

You are likely right I just like the idea of having a guy like Lucic out there to help protect Johnny. Have seen many times where ppl take a run at him and no one responds

LW that shoots left.  Sounds like the wrong fit for Johnny's line.

Sure and i think most would agree. But would you pay over 6 milion for that over the next 5/6 seasons? I think that is what it is going to take. 

No. 6 mil or under at 3-5 years I might look at. Which again is why I said you are likely right cuz that is very unlikely to get him at that price.  Just a pipe dream at this point.

Sure and i think most would agree. But would you pay over 6 milion for that over the next 5/6 seasons? I think that is what it is going to take. 

I think it's going to be north of $6m by a wide margin.  Young guy with impact and decent scoring.  Think $7m.

LW that shoots left.  Sounds like the wrong fit for Johnny's line.

Same could be said about Brodie but he works well on the right side with Gio. Has Lucic ever played the right? Like ever? Probably not but can he? Hudler was also a lefty and played well for the most part on Johnny's line.

Same could be said about Brodie but he works well on the right side with Gio. Has Lucic ever played the right? Like ever? Probably not but can he? Hudler was also a lefty and played well for the most part on Johnny's line.

He played on LW in LA.  Some moves work and some don't.  I wouldn't sign him hoping that he can play LW.  I would have to be pretty sure he can be as good on RW as LW.  Otherwise, he plays on the 2nd line.

Too much for him.  He would be a killer to have.  Prefer that he signs with a East Conference team.

As nice as it would be to get Lucic, I don't think it would be a good idea. If we we could get him on a 3-4 year deal in the $4-5mill range, than sure sign him up, but that won't happen.

IMO Lucic is a prime candidate to see him production drop off a cliff in 3-4 years, so any contract years after that are going to be boat anchors.

I like Lucic a lot, but I'd pass.  Someone will over pay in a big way. 

In my opinion, most bad contracts come from regrettable free agent signings.  I hope BT uses some caution.

• Like 1

I like Lucic a lot, but I'd pass.  Someone will over pay in a big way. 

In my opinion, most bad contracts come from regrettable free agent signings.  I hope BT uses some caution.

Just my thoughts but if we do not get Puljujarvi for our top line RW at the draft, BT would be smart to consider a RW such as Brouwer. I don't suggest giving him any blown up figure but if we could for 5M or less he would be worth it. Unless BT fails to get the goaltending fixed by trades, then we are likely looking at a FA or two.

Just my thoughts but if we do not get Puljujarvi for our top line RW at the draft, BT would be smart to consider a RW such as Brouwer. I don't suggest giving him any blown up figure but if we could for 5M or less he would be worth it. Unless BT fails to get the goaltending fixed by trades, then we are likely looking at a FA or two.

From what I have been reading on Brouwer is that he is looking for $5mill, and he might get it. That's crazy. Brouwer is a good player but anything over $3.5mill is way too much for him.

• Like 1

From what I have been reading on Brouwer is that he is looking for $5mill, and he might get it. That's crazy. Brouwer is a good player but anything over $3.5mill is way too much for him.

Really, you think he is worth less money than Frolik or Backlund ? I was thinking in around 4.5M and we have the type of player we want to lead this forward group with the style of play be discussed by management.

Really, you think he is worth less money than Frolik or Backlund ? I was thinking in around 4.5M and we have the type of player we want to lead this forward group with the style of play be discussed by management.

I like Brouwer but he is a 3rd line forward, I wouldn't pay a 3rd line forward as much as he is going to get paid. I think Frolik and Backlund are worth more, because of their age and their two way play, I will say that I thought at the time and I still believe we gave Frolik too much money but that is the nature of UFA.

right around 4 million is pretty fair for Brouwer. I prefer Frolik becuase Frolik can give you a little bit of everything where i find Brouwer pretty one dimensional. Agree though he likely will get close to 5 mill and that's too much. 

Flames can't afford another winger at over 4 million on a multi year deal. 

I like Brouwer but he is a 3rd line forward, I wouldn't pay a 3rd line forward as much as he is going to get paid. I think Frolik and Backlund are worth more, because of their age and their two way play, I will say that I thought at the time and I still believe we gave Frolik too much money but that is the nature of UFA.

Yes I thought that was to much for Frolik at the time and still do but we needed some support for RW and Hudler in his final contract year. I do think we still have some work to do on RW for this team and I see Brouwer above being a 3rd line winger, maybe what I call a flex winger that can log 2nd and 3rd line minutes, even top line if needed there. Glencross did a lot of this for us when in better shape. I see cross below saying 4M max and he could be right if we have any shot at all with him.

As nice as it would be to get Lucic, I don't think it would be a good idea. If we we could get him on a 3-4 year deal in the $4-5mill range, than sure sign him up, but that won't happen.

IMO Lucic is a prime candidate to see him production drop off a cliff in 3-4 years, so any contract years after that are going to be boat anchors.

Im in the same boat..would love to have him, but word is talks with LA stalled on term..he wants 6 years, and im not prepared to give him that at what was reported 5-6 million.

I hate the fact hes gonna be likely in Edmonton or Vancouver. We absolutely do need to counter that, 3 years of Hartnell makes more sense.

Im in the same boat..would love to have him, but word is talks with LA stalled on term..he wants 6 years, and im not prepared to give him that at what was reported 5-6 million.

I hate the fact hes gonna be likely in Edmonton or Vancouver. We absolutely do need to counter that, 3 years of Hartnell makes more sense.

It wouldn't be inconceivable for BT to be discussing Hartnell in a deal for swapping our 6th for their 3rd pick. I know we would have to add but if we ended up with Puljujarvi for our top line RW and Hartnell for Bennett's LW at a decelerating salary it would serve us well going forward.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be inconceivable for BT to be discussing Hartnell in a deal for swapping our 6th for their 3rd pick. I know we would have to add but if we ended up with Puljujarvi for our top line RW and Hartnell for Bennett's LW at a decelerating salary it would serve us well going forward.

I think he was talking about Lucic going to Van or EDM.  

I agree that Hartnell makes more sense.  We get stuck protecting him (or we ask him to waive), but he is a leader on the ice.  He does more to impact a game positively than Lucic does in general.  He adds grit to the 2nd line, but also scoring.  If Bennett is going to develop into a scoring center, you need someone like Hartnell to drive the play (and score off his butt).  Ferland is not there yet.

I think he was talking about Lucic going to Van or EDM.  

I agree that Hartnell makes more sense.  We get stuck protecting him (or we ask him to waive), but he is a leader on the ice.  He does more to impact a game positively than Lucic does in general.  He adds grit to the 2nd line, but also scoring.  If Bennett is going to develop into a scoring center, you need someone like Hartnell to drive the play (and score off his butt).  Ferland is not there yet.

I was ignoring the Lucic talk as not within our realm.We agree on the Hartnell scenario playing with Bennett, he could learn a lot from Hartnell. Ferland would also learn from playing with someone like Backlund, positioning on the ice at all times comes to mind.

I was ignoring the Lucic talk as not within our realm.We agree on the Hartnell scenario playing with Bennett, he could learn a lot from Hartnell. Ferland would also learn from playing with someone like Backlund, positioning on the ice at all times comes to mind.

Good.

I am not a big fan of the guy.  Maybe from playing against him, but don't like his douchey style.  

Good.

I am not a big fan of the guy.  Maybe from playing against him, but don't like his douchey style.  

He would fit right in with VAN. LOL

Scott Hartnell was the reason the Flames and Predators hated each other for awhile back in the day.

With about 45 seconds remaining in a game where the Preds held a one goal lead, the Preds were able to chip the puck out their zone. Next thing that happened was, Hartnell tackles the Flames Chris Simon in the corner and then "pretends" to be accidentally tangled up with him and both players were not able to get up and resume play.  For the remainder of the game, the Flames controlled the puck in the neutral zone waiting for either the ref to call a penalty on Hartnell or for Simon to free himself and get back onside.  None of this happened and the game ended with a Preds victory.  One of the cheapest ways to win a game ever. Logically then, the fists came out and even the coaches were going at it from their benches.

I read somewhere online that the Islanders may take a run at Hartnell - if I find it again, I'll post it here.