The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I think he was talking about Lucic going to Van or EDM.  

I agree that Hartnell makes more sense.  We get stuck protecting him (or we ask him to waive), but he is a leader on the ice.  He does more to impact a game positively than Lucic does in general.  He adds grit to the 2nd line, but also scoring.  If Bennett is going to develop into a scoring center, you need someone like Hartnell to drive the play (and score off his butt).  Ferland is not there yet.

Bolded: :)

I've mentioned his sense of community & his charitable foundation before but he also has a great sense of humor. While a Flyer they were playing in Pittsburgh & he saw a Pengie fan wearing a "Fartsmell" jersey. He sought that fan out after the game & autographed it as "To my biggest fan, Scott Fartsmell".

• Like 1

What about:

Ferland, Bennett, Hartnell

Hartnell would teach both kids a lot! It would be good for Ferland to mimic his game off Hartell.

What about:

Ferland, Bennett, Hartnell

Hartnell would teach both kids a lot! It would be good for Ferland to mimic his game off Hartell.

I would prefer they both stay on LW on different lines.

I really like Hartnell but unless he is part of package they makes the price more reasonable for 6 to 3 I don't think the flames should target Hartnell. Could probably get him cheaper but between the salary, NMC and his age I don't think the fit is great. Not unless the can get a cheaper goalie.

I really like Hartnell but unless he is part of package they makes the price more reasonable for 6 to 3 I don't think the flames should target Hartnell. Could probably get him cheaper but between the salary, NMC and his age I don't think the fit is great. Not unless the can get a cheaper goalie.

That would be the only reason I would take him on. The one good thing is his salary goes down each year after this one, you could maybe unload him in a TDL deal at some point.

What would you prefer? Puljujarvi & Hartnell or Nylander & whoever we trade in the deal (I figure Backlund)?

2 top 6 wingers now vs a winger in 2-3 years & holding onto a center that will be redundant when Bennett hits his stride,

What would you prefer? Puljujarvi & Hartnell or Nylander & whoever we trade in the deal (I figure Backlund)?

2 top 6 wingers now vs a winger in 2-3 years & holding onto a center that will be redundant when Bennett hits his stride,

I agree. I would take Hartnell and Puljujarvi any and every day over Nylander and Backs.  I still don't see Tre getting it done tho.  Would be nice but I just don't think Backs and our 6th is enough to make it happen.

I would still be happy with Nylander if we are stuck at 6. I think it is the best option for the Flames unless by some form of sorcery Tkachuk is still there

Depends on what the Nylander plus is. What I was saying is I'll consider Hartnell in a trade from 3-6 if he helps get Puljujarvi but if they can't be done I wouldn't target Hartnell. I'm only interested if he can help lower the cost of acquiring 3

Even ignoring that Hartnell is on the decline, 34 years old, and is getting paid 5 million per season for 3 more seasons. Even ignoring that he has a NMC that will take up a protection spot in the expansion draft. Right now the Flames have roughly 3 million in cap space and thst doesn't include a starting goalie. We don't have the room to take on a big contract.

We already need to clear a contract to be able to afford a starting goalie. We would need to clear another big contract to take him on. This would also create cap issues a year from now. Would we rather sign Backlund or have a 35 year old Hartnell?

If we take on that contract the incentive better be really good.

Rumor mill is saying that:

1) the Flames and Oilers have been talking

2) Oilers are said to be willing to take a 3rd rounder for Yakapov

3) Flames are looking to move up into the top 5 of the draft (some sources say add another top 10 pick but i have no idea how)

SO: 

To Calgary: 

4th Overall

Yakapov

To Edmonton: 

6th Overall

54th Overall

Wideman (2 mil retained)

one of Nakladal, Wotherspoon or Kulak 

Calgary gets a bit of a reclamation project in Yakapov, and gives Edmonton a slightly better pick than they'd get otherwise (54th) to compensate for the rivalry. 

Wideman and the D prospect give them both short term and long term help on defence which is their biggest weakness, and one of our biggest points of strength. That's enough to let them trade down a couple spots in the draft to go after a top defender (or whatever else they want) while we ge to move up and hopefully go after an NHL ready right wing. 

Gaudreau - Monahan - 4OA

Shinkaruk/Ferland - Bennett - Yakapov

Colborne - Backlund - Frolik

Bouma - Stajan - Hathaway

All at once our RW problems are potentially solved. Just leaving goal, and opening another few mil in cap space from Wideman. 

• Like 3

SO:

To Calgary: 

4th Overall

Yakapov

To Edmonton: 

6th Overall

54th Overall

Wideman (2 mil retained)

one of Nakladal, Wotherspoon or Kulak 

As much as I like this, I have to point out Nakladal is a UFA and as such EDM can go after him at no cost of assets starting tomorrow if we haven't signed him between now and then. So, maybe one of our bottom 6 wingers is an option there as well - to fill in for Yak. And personally, I'm hoping we bring Nakladal back.

The more I see certain propositions it makes me wonder if there is any sceario where Gio could be made available?

Taking emotion out of it, it clears almost 7mill, we made a great playoff run without him 2 seasons ago and we do have D coming up the pipe.

Obviously the return would have to be good to great, but is he really as untouchable as we think.

I mean hypothetically , send him to winnipeg for #2 overall. Winnipeg would have to think about it.

As I write this there are unsubstantiated rumors from Bob MacKenzie stating talk of Hamilton to edmonton straight up for #4 which I dont think flies..but it got me thinking if they might be considering shedding unexpected salary, Gio could be had with the right deal

As I write this there are unsubstantiated rumors from Bob MacKenzie stating talk of Hamilton to edmonton straight up for #4 which I dont think flies..but it got me thinking if they might be considering shedding unexpected salary, Gio could be had with the right deal

The interesting thing here is that if indeed Hamilton were to go to the Oilers for #4, we end up with #6 and #4 in this draft. Hypothetically, if the Flames then were to swap #4 with CBJ for #3, we could end up with Puljajarvi (sp?) and a top D at #6. That would put a delay on our timelines to compete for a cup I think, but interesting to think about.

The interesting thing here is that if indeed Hamilton were to go to the Oilers for #4, we end up with #6 and #4 in this draft. Hypothetically, if the Flames then were to swap #4 with CBJ for #3, we could end up with Puljajarvi (sp?) and a top D at #6. That would put a delay on our timelines to compete for a cup I think, but interesting to think about.

It just makes no sense trading Hamilton especially since his early season struggles were mostly due to coming from a possession team to a shot blocking team..and now he gets to play possession again where he excelled.

Only way this would make any sense at all would be if we do all that and somehow get in on Shattenkirk

It just makes no sense trading Hamilton especially since his early season struggles were mostly due to coming from a possession team to a shot blocking team..and now he gets to play possession again where he excelled.

Only way this would make any sense at all would be if we do all that and somehow get in on Shattenkirk

Or Fowler? :ph34r:

I like Hamilton too, and my first response is heck no... however, just hypothesizing here, Hamilton's $5.75mil would come off the books... so, there's that flexibility to grab another D too...

The more I see certain propositions it makes me wonder if there is any sceario where Gio could be made available?

Taking emotion out of it, it clears almost 7mill, we made a great playoff run without him 2 seasons ago and we do have D coming up the pipe.

Obviously the return would have to be good to great, but is he really as untouchable as we think.

I mean hypothetically , send him to winnipeg for #2 overall. Winnipeg would have to think about it.

I would do the 4th for Hamilton. 4th allows us to take a top end forward and at 6th we can take Juolevi or Chychrun who will be as good or better than Hamilton.

Even ignoring that Hartnell is on the decline, 34 years old, and is getting paid 5 million per season for 3 more seasons. Even ignoring that he has a NMC that will take up a protection spot in the expansion draft. Right now the Flames have roughly 3 million in cap space and thst doesn't include a starting goalie. We don't have the room to take on a big contract.

We already need to clear a contract to be able to afford a starting goalie. We would need to clear another big contract to take him on. This would also create cap issues a year from now. Would we rather sign Backlund or have a 35 year old Hartnell?

If we take on that contract the incentive better be really good.

I think clearing cap space has become somewhat lost with some here but not all, of course dollars have to go out if rearranging occurs. I believe Hartnell's salary goes down each year which makes him more affordable but also tradeable. I wouldn't put Backlund into this deal BT needs to find another way, offer Bouma, this lowers their cap position.

Or Fowler? :ph34r:

I like Hamilton too, and my first response is heck no... however, just hypothesizing here, Hamilton's $5.75mil would come off the books... so, there's that flexibility to grab another D too...

True... all I know is if he has another D in the chamber he better fire that shot immediately after the Hamilton trade or he'll be swinging from a tree shortly after Lol

But yes, aside from giving our rival exactly what theyre looking for, if we were to walk away with even Tkachuk, Juolevi, and Shattenkirk/Fowler for giving up Hamilton and maybe 2 of our seconds id call it a win not to mention a goalie

• Like 2

I would do the 4th for Hamilton. 4th allows us to take a top end forward and at 6th we can take Juolevi or Chychrun who will be as good or better than Hamilton.

Come on guys BT is not going to trade essential pieces of our building just to move up in a draft where the stand to get another building piece no matter what they do. Same goes for suggestion of using Bennett to get a haul, they love and we should as well this player's compete level for our team. If CBJ's motivation is to move out Hartnell to make some cap space available for other roster changes we can accommodate such a trade.

Come on guys BT is not going to trade essential pieces of our building just to move up in a draft where the stand to get another building piece no matter what they do. Same goes for suggestion of using Bennett to get a haul, they love and we should as well this player's compete level for our team. If CBJ's motivation is to move out Hartnell to make some cap space available for other roster changes we can accommodate such a trade.

Hartnell isn't a straight cap dump on his own though, they can still trade him for value. They can still get a 2nd or a 3rd for him. They aren't going to give us something for taking his contract.

Thats my initial reaction too..if it wasnt MacKenzie id not even give it a 2nd thought. Unless theres things we don't know like locker room stuff...wasnt there a bunch of sour grapes stuff out of Boston when he was traded last year? Thats literally the only way I see BT even giving it the time of day

I will say this tho...the way we keep coming up in every conversation, we seem to be in on everything...something is gonna go down today

I believe a massive number of drastic/crazy trades are in conversation, including the ones you reference. However, at the end of the day I doubt much will happen as it is so difficult to give up on guys you've built a relationship with, even if there is a possibility of improvement.

Hartnell isn't a straight cap dump on his own though, they can still trade him for value. They can still get a 2nd or a 3rd for him. They aren't going to give us something for taking his contract.

Theoretically they have Hartnell and Foligno that should occupy the same position and as I have learned the hard way LOL Foligno's contract is one we don't want. BT would only be helping them out by taking Hartnell and yes there would be adds to consider in such a deal, I realize we would not just be swapping spots if we take Hartnell.

Wouldnt it be awesome if BT is setting up to pull a Burke and get both Finns?

Do the Hamilton trade with Edmonton to get 4 and 6

Do the deal talked about on the table to swap 6 for 3, take on hartnell and give the #35

Then shock everybody by trading #4, 2017 1st round, and Sam Bennett to Winnipeg for #2

Walk away with Both Finns

Sign Reimer since you just used all your trade chips

Find a way to get Shattenkirk or Fowler

Less than 1% chance of it happening, but no worse than some of the real rumors floating around :)

Well that sounds like a step in the exact wrong direction.  Trade a top 3 defender so that we can use the #6 to pick a possible top 3 defender, 3-5 years down the road.  It's all a bunch of hooey anyway.  No reason CGY makes that trade, especially with EDM.  They would need to pay a lot higher than market value.

I don't mind trying to move to #3.  The BJ's seem like they want Laine or Matthews, and are only holding onto the pick until they get a max offer, or their guy is available at 3.