The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I heard some talk about Wideman, but it sounded more like him and 6th for 4th, plus retaining some of his salary.  Korpikoski makes little sense to us.  He actually made Yak's results look bad.

Sounds like the Flames are in on every big deal:

• Moving Wideman to EDM
  • Moving up to 3rd
  • Front-runner for Lucic
  • Bishop, Elliott and MAF

Only thing missing is Vanek and Rick Nash.

Beggers can't be choosers. When you are basiclaly desperate to move a salay, Wideman, you don't really get to pick what you get for it. I agree they don't need Korpikoski but I also don't think the OIlers are going to 1- take Wideman at full salary and 2- give you anything of value. Swap of bad contracts made sense. Flames can also bury Korpikoski for an additional 900K.

Other news....

CGY working to get a goalie. Have had talks with TB on Bishop and with STL on Elliott. CGY has permission to talk to Bishop about extension.

I"m not a big Vanek fan. Sure you can argue his numbers suffered with the Wild system that is valid, but what about his compete level? There were nights in Minnisota they basically had to bench him or threaten to make him a healthy scratch and he still didn't get going.

He'd really have to sell me on himself, because the Vanek you saw for the last 2 years I woudn't touch at any price. He was awful in Minnisota. 

While I share your opinion on his compete level, if he's really bought out, he might actually be motivated and show that he's still a top6 forward.

Personally I'd rather pay a bit more for Perron than going after Vanek. I'm also not convinced that he's a fit on the top line. He might be a better fit on Bennett's line facing lower competition, while getting a lot of Powerplay time.

Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) tweeted at 2:51 PM on Fri, Jun 24, 2016:

Brad Treliving has been among most engaged in discussions as draft floor fills up. Jarmo Kekelainen and Treliving now in 3rd discussion.

Hold on tight boys and girls it should be a fun night.

Brad Treliving has been among most engaged in discussions as draft floor fills up. Jarmo Kekelainen and Treliving now in 3rd discussion.

I like the sounds of this, fingers crossed.

Beggers can't be choosers. When you are basiclaly desperate to move a salay, Wideman, you don't really get to pick what you get for it. I agree they don't need Korpikoski but I also don't think the OIlers are going to 1- take Wideman at full salary and 2- give you anything of value. Swap of bad contracts made sense. Flames can also bury Korpikoski for an additional 900K.

Other news....

CGY working to get a goalie. Have had talks with TB on Bishop and with STL on Elliott. CGY has permission to talk to Bishop about extension.

That would suggest that Tree has met Steve Y's asking price.

b5d0f81f481adfdf0d4e6bbcb0403462.png

If BT can't swing a deal for the 3rd pick and stays put. Then thinking he should try for Ryan Strome? RW with size Right handed shot with some snarliness to him? Capalano and Strome don't see eye to eye.

That would suggest that Tree has met Steve Y's asking price.

Agree. I dont' think talks would go on this long if they were far apart on asking price. I think clearly the Flames are comfortable with the cost to trade, now are they comfortable with the contract cost?

I'll guess no, but we shall see. 

Even ignoring that Hartnell is on the decline, 34 years old, and is getting paid 5 million per season for 3 more seasons. Even ignoring that he has a NMC that will take up a protection spot in the expansion draft. Right now the Flames have roughly 3 million in cap space and thst doesn't include a starting goalie. We don't have the room to take on a big contract.

We already need to clear a contract to be able to afford a starting goalie. We would need to clear another big contract to take him on. This would also create cap issues a year from now. Would we rather sign Backlund or have a 35 year old Hartnell?

If we take on that contract the incentive better be really good.

Hartnell: 4.75 x 3

Backlund: 3.575 x 3

Difference: 1.175 for the 1st 2 years

We have roughly 50.6 committed with an announced cap of 73 leaving about 22 if we do this deal.

If you assume Gaudreau & Monahan @ 15 total that's 7 million for a goalie & backup (dang good backups can be had for under 1 million).

For the extra 1 million to move up for a superior pick in a needed position & upgrade our top 6 with Hartnell we end up with a stronger team.

Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) tweeted at 3:19 PM on Fri, Jun 24, 2016:

Now Marc Bergevin and Brad Treliving chatting it up

Carey Price! What?! Haha

Hartnell: 4.75 x 3

Backlund: 3.575 x 3

Difference: 1.175 for the 1st 2 years

We have roughly 50.6 committed with an announced cap of 73 leaving about 22 if we do this deal.

If you assume Gaudreau & Monahan @ 15 total that's 7 million for a goalie & backup (dang good backups can be had for under 1 million).

For the extra 1 million to move up for a superior pick in a needed position & upgrade our top 6 with Hartnell we end up with a stronger team.

But where does this leave Jooris, Colborne and Ortio? If we still want to sign them, we'll need to shed some salary somewhere.

Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) tweeted at 3:34 PM on Fri, Jun 24, 2016:

Treliving, Kekalainen and Chiarelli now deep in conversation.

Man everything and nothing is happening right now. I really think Tree is just messing with the media guys at this point.

Jimmy B was spotted at the Canucks draft table frantically searching under his table.  Apparently he may have lost his draft list that was sticking out of his back pocket a few minutes prior?

Into the 4th convo.

CGY has also received permission to talk to Bishop about extension.  That was only supposed to happen if a potential deal was agreed to.  Still could back out, but probably unlikely.

Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) tweeted at 3:19 PM on Fri, Jun 24, 2016:

Now Marc Bergevin and Brad Treliving chatting it up

Carey Price! What?! Haha

They were asking what Bob Hartley was like.  Actually they were talking about any French speaking prospects we had for sale.

Would this work/ help?

To Calgary

RFA RW Nichushkin

G Niemi

pick or prospect

To Dallas

D Wideman

RFA C/W Colbourne

RFA G Ortio

Sign Okposo

With Tkachuk being drafted, he is hungry to make the team as a LW. Niemi and Wideman are basically contract swaps, Flames save a little cap space. Dallas needs to shed Goalie cap and Calgary needs to shed D cap. Dallas needs D, Calgary needs a backup Goalie. Calgary needs the cap space to sign a RW like Okposo, Nichushkin is a 21 year old RW with lots of potential.Flames can flip a pick to the Islanders to Sign Okposo (assuming talks quickly). Flames expose Niemi at expansion draft.

Flames possible lineup

Gaudreau / Monahan / Okposo

Tkachuk / Bennet / Nichushkin

Ferland / Backlund / Frolik

Bouma / Stajan / Jooris

Bollig

Giordano / Brodie

Jokipakka / Hamilton

Wotherspoon / Engelland

Nakladal, Smid

Elliot

Niemi

Still hope to move at least Bollig and Smid retire. Possibly move Stajan and Engelland for the right price.

Thoughts?

Factoring approx 14M for Johnny and Monahan, 2M for Colborne, and 1M for the likes of backup G, Jooris, Nak etc..I have at about 72.6 M next season. If we are going to do any moves now, salary has to be moved. Only wiggle room is Smids 3.5 which likely will move to IR

Would this work/ help?

To Calgary

RFA RW Nichushkin

G Niemi

pick or prospect

To Dallas

D Wideman

RFA C/W Colbourne

RFA G Ortio

Sign Okposo

With Tkachuk being drafted, he is hungry to make the team as a LW. Niemi and Wideman are basically contract swaps, Flames save a little cap space. Dallas needs to shed Goalie cap and Calgary needs to shed D cap. Dallas needs D, Calgary needs a backup Goalie. Calgary needs the cap space to sign a RW like Okposo, Nichushkin is a 21 year old RW with lots of potential.Flames can flip a pick to the Islanders to Sign Okposo (assuming talks quickly). Flames expose Niemi at expansion draft.

Flames possible lineup

Gaudreau / Monahan / Okposo

Tkachuk / Bennet / Nichushkin

Ferland / Backlund / Frolik

Bouma / Stajan / Jooris

Bollig

Giordano / Brodie

Jokipakka / Hamilton

Wotherspoon / Engelland

Nakladal, Smid

Elliot

Niemi

Still hope to move at least Bollig and Smid retire. Possibly move Stajan and Engelland for the right price.

Thoughts?

Once BT settles these salaries with Gaudreau and Monahan salaries will have to be tempered so I don't see Okposo in the cards. There are other places to trade Wideman to without having to take on Neimi this would be unnecessary. We do need to keeping building some quality into our RW pipeline however this could be a year we find out what we have in the ones that are here. Personally I would still like to see us get Troy Brouwer to play on our top line RW, he would go a long way leading the charge for the style of play we want from the forward group.

I think Brouwer would be a good fit too, but I think the Canuckleheads could try and grab their local boy. don't forget, moving out Wideman, likely burying Raymond, hopefully dropping Smid salary and possibly moving on from Engelland, Stajan and or Bouma. There is plenty of ways to open more cap. Okposo and Brouwer are likely similar cap hits. Niemi has that added bonus for expansion draft next spring. Expose a signed goalie with cap.

I agree could likely move Wideman without a Noemi level contract coming back, but could also bring back another pick and a guy like Nichushkin plus gain almost a mil in cap space and then sign Nichushkin for a mil less than Colbourne in a position we need to stock? That is nearly 2 mil cap savings to put towards an Okposo or attempt at Brouwer.

I know a lot of people don't like Niemi especially at that cap hit, but we also need to factor in the expansion draft now. He is not a terrible backup, especially when Elliot can hopefully play 60+ games.

To trade Wideman, you are looking at 1 of 2 options, take back another elevated salary or retain salary. I chose to bring back in this case.

In this trade, the team is improved as per the thread title. It fills holes without leaving any new ones on either team and the numbers work.

Other than the Niemi contract being disliked, but possibly necessary to make this trade, what does not make sense?

For me getting Nichuskin and moving Wideman is not worth Niemi. I could stomach that if it was a one year deal but the 2nd year kills it for me. I'm not a Niemi fan at all and if you want to sign Elliot sudden you could have over 9 mill in net. No thanks.

I'm also not a big Nichuskin fan. Not sure he is a top 6 forward at this level and don't like the idea of that young a second line. Tkachuk needs to go to junior

I think Brouwer would be a good fit too, but I think the Canuckleheads could try and grab their local boy. don't forget, moving out Wideman, likely burying Raymond, hopefully dropping Smid salary and possibly moving on from Engelland, Stajan and or Bouma. There is plenty of ways to open more cap. Okposo and Brouwer are likely similar cap hits. Niemi has that added bonus for expansion draft next spring. Expose a signed goalie with cap.

I agree could likely move Wideman without a Noemi level contract coming back, but could also bring back another pick and a guy like Nichushkin plus gain almost a mil in cap space and then sign Nichushkin for a mil less than Colbourne in a position we need to stock? That is nearly 2 mil cap savings to put towards an Okposo or attempt at Brouwer.

I know a lot of people don't like Niemi especially at that cap hit, but we also need to factor in the expansion draft now. He is not a terrible backup, especially when Elliot can hopefully play 60+ games.

To trade Wideman, you are looking at 1 of 2 options, take back another elevated salary or retain salary. I chose to bring back in this case.

In this trade, the team is improved as per the thread title. It fills holes without leaving any new ones on either team and the numbers work.

Other than the Niemi contract being disliked, but possibly necessary to make this trade, what does not make sense?

I'm not sure how many local boys VAN can handle, they are also going to make a play for Lucic. Neimi is the killer for me, I don't think you pump up Elliott on the way in by adding Neimi to have around. Therefore I don't see us doing this type of deal with DAL. BT will be all ears and should be planting seeds of his own to unload some of our redundant players. I hope he is concentrating on moving Wideman, Stajan, Raymond and Bollig. Smid we may have to carry while Bouma and Engelland I think are still useful to us this next season.

Phoenix, even with Elliot, Smid and Raymond on the books, Calgary has 21.4 million in cap space. direct swap of Wideman for Niemi contracts would free up .75 mil cap space more. Nichushkin would save .5 to 1.0 mil over Colbourne at a position we need more help. even with 14 mil to Gaudreau and Monahan, you have 8 to 9 mil to put towards Nichushkin, Nak, Jooris, Wotherspoon, Okposo.... without even considering Raymond, Smid or any other Salary moves. While it would be tight until Smid and Raymond come off the books, it would work.

Now I have seen other good suggestions, but the question is how to make it work?

I wouldn't mind either of Armia and/or Strome on the wing, but what would the cost be?

We all know the Flames need to shed salary, how do you do it while filling holes and not making new ones?

For me getting Nichuskin and moving Wideman is not worth Niemi. I could stomach that if it was a one year deal but the 2nd year kills it for me. I'm not a Niemi fan at all and if you want to sign Elliot sudden you could have over 9 mill in net. No thanks.

I'm also not a big Nichuskin fan. Not sure he is a top 6 forward at this level and don't like the idea of that young a second line. Tkachuk needs to go to junior

There are a number of RW options that could open up.  Armia, Nich, Hayes...None of these guys are worth taking on a bad contract to get.  Maybe we swap for prospects or vets while retaining salary?

Mac, you will be sad that Jersey got Beau Bennett for a 3rd.

Phoenix, even with Elliot, Smid and Raymond on the books, Calgary has 21.4 million in cap space. direct swap of Wideman for Niemi contracts would free up .75 mil cap space more. Nichushkin would save .5 to 1.0 mil over Colbourne at a position we need more help. even with 14 mil to Gaudreau and Monahan, you have 8 to 9 mil to put towards Nichushkin, Nak, Jooris, Wotherspoon, Okposo.... without even considering Raymond, Smid or any other Salary moves. While it would be tight until Smid and Raymond come off the books, it would work.

Now I have seen other good suggestions, but the question is how to make it work?

I wouldn't mind either of Armia and/or Strome on the wing, but what would the cost be?

We all know the Flames need to shed salary, how do you do it while filling holes and not making new ones?

I get the numbers, its just we just plucked a goalie whos overjoyed to have left a platoon situation, and last thing we want to do is upset him right out of the gate.

I think with Colborne you can do a 1-1 deal, whether it's Nicushkin or another team. I believe hes easily movable if we have to.

Wideman will be tougher apparently, I thought hed be gone by today but I still see him gone by training camp,, and we are deep enough we can just take picks for him

I think now that we have a goalie (wow it feels great to say that) and so long as we keep colborne under 2m or move him..we could conceivabky make no more moves and be ok so the desperation to shed salary is gone.

That being said I dont believe were done with moves, but the pressure to do it is gone now