The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

There are a number of RW options that could open up.  Armia, Nich, Hayes...None of these guys are worth taking on a bad contract to get.  Maybe we swap for prospects or vets while retaining salary?

Mac, you will be sad that Jersey got Beau Bennett for a 3rd.

Oh well it looks like we made good use of our 3rd. I have been still wonder about FF saying WPG could use Stajan. What about Stajan C with some retained for Armia RW ?

Read this tweet from Sportak that said that Mathieu Sevigny would get an invite to the Flames prospects camp if not drafted.  Kind of a strange thing for the kid to say.

Oh well it looks like we made good use of our 3rd. I have been still wonder about FF saying WPG could use Stajan. What about Stajan C with some retained for Armia RW ?

I would love that.  Maybe BT is kind of giving Matty a pass for now, though.  He shouldn't.  

I also like the thought of Hayes playing here.  The only problem with either of those players is protecting them.  Let's assume that we get one, here is a protected list:

Johnny

Monahan

Bennett

Frolik

Backlund

Ferland/Shinkaruk

Armia/Hayes

That leaves these guys out:

Stajan

Colborne

Bouma

Jooris

Ferland or Shinakruk

Poirier

Arnold

Agostino

Hathaway 

Hamilton

I'm not sure I want to make that sacrifice now, unless you are trading Ferland or Poirier for Hayes or Armia.

I would love that.  Maybe BT is kind of giving Matty a pass for now, though.  He shouldn't.  

I also like the thought of Hayes playing here.  The only problem with either of those players is protecting them.  Let's assume that we get one, here is a protected list:

Johnny

Monahan

Bennett

Frolik

Backlund

Ferland/Shinkaruk

Armia/Hayes

That leaves these guys out:

Stajan

Colborne

Bouma

Jooris

Ferland or Shinakruk

Poirier

Arnold

Agostino

Hathaway 

Hamilton

I'm not sure I want to make that sacrifice now, unless you are trading Ferland or Poirier for Hayes or Armia.

Are you talking about with expansion next year ? why worry about it ? Everyone acts like it is only our players that LV is going to take and it won't be like that at all. Right now it is finding the trade off with NYR if you want Hayes, would they take Bouma or would Poirier have to do the trick ? Let next year look after itself.

On NHLnumbers there are really only 3 teams who could eat salary who do not have their own bigger contracts to re-sign. Florida, Arizona and New Jersey. The issue with Arizona and Jersey is that they have a lot of contracts to signand they have internal budget caps. Neither really has much that would really work for the Flames. In order to move Wideman to any other team, you are taking back an equally inflated contract or literally dumping contract for virtually nothing in return. Any Salary retention for something Calgary could use right now would need to be significant, I would guess upwards of 3 mil retained simply due to cap restrictions for other teams.

Jersey MIGHT like Wideman due to higher cap, lower salary. They might also consider Raymond for his cap hit if we give them a Sweet deal such as retained salary or something. I still think the Flames need to shed more salary to get that higher end RW like Okposo or Brouwer.

If you don't like my Dallas trade idea, how about one or more of these:

To New Jersey

Wideman

Raymond (1 mil retained)

Colbourne

To Calgary

2017 2nd round pick

2018 2nd round pick

Mid level prospect

To Arizona

Bollig

Stajan

To Calgary

2017 3rd round pick

2018 4th round pick

To NYI

New Jersey 2017 2nd

Arizona 2018 4th round pick

To Calgary

Ryan Strome

To Winnipeg

New Jersey 2018 2nd round pick

Arizona 2017 3rd round pick

Prospect mid level

To Calgary

Joel Armia

I may be giving the Flames too sweet of a deal here with respect to costs, but who knows. Arizona took on Datsyuk's final year, they have Pronger's contract, maybe they take on the Smid contract? Who knows.

Are you talking about with expansion next year ? why worry about it ? Everyone acts like it is only our players that LV is going to take and it won't be like that at all. Right now it is finding the trade off with NYR if you want Hayes, would they take Bouma or would Poirier have to do the trick ? Let next year look after itself.

Yes, I am talking about it.  You don't plan moves in a vacuum.  If you trade assets for somebody, you have to know what the risks are.  It was a concern to TBL and PITTS.  It was a concern about taking on Hartnell.

We will lose one player.  I doubt Ortio is the one.  It may not be Ferland or Shinkaruk, but it is a risk of trading now.

Yes, I am talking about it.  You don't plan moves in a vacuum.  If you trade assets for somebody, you have to know what the risks are.  It was a concern to TBL and PITTS.  It was a concern about taking on Hartnell.

We will lose one player.  I doubt Ortio is the one.  It may not be Ferland or Shinkaruk, but it is a risk of trading now.

If I trade Bouma or Poirier to NYR for Hayes I'm not going to worry about losing him later. This is why you need quality depth for your team in order to sustain good team play should you lose players.

Kerby Rychel was traded to Toronto for Harrington and a conditional pick. He really didn't garner much in trade so I'm a bit surprised the flames weren't more invoked or willing to pay that, unless the jackets targeted Harrington. But the condition on the pick is if they jackets lose Harrington on waivers they get a 5th so value wasn't high. I think the flames feel better about their RW situation then fans do

Kerby Rychel was traded to Toronto for Harrington and a conditional pick. He really didn't garner much in trade so I'm a bit surprised the flames weren't more invoked or willing to pay that, unless the jackets targeted Harrington. But the condition on the pick is if they jackets lose Harrington on waivers they get a 5th so value wasn't high. I think the flames feel better about their RW situation then fans do

Either that or the Flames aren't as high on Rychel as most fans are. Basically we would have had to give up Wotherspoon and a conditional pick. So either the Flames saw Rychel as 4th liner with 3rd line upside (which is where I see him) or Columbus valued Harrington more than Wotherspoon.

Either that or the Flames aren't as high on Rychel as most fans are. Basically we would have had to give up Wotherspoon and a conditional pick. So either the Flames saw Rychel as 4th liner with 3rd line upside (which is where I see him) or Columbus valued Harrington more than Wotherspoon.

Agree on both counts. I see Rychel with similar upside but I'd still trade Wotherspoon for him in a heartbeat just to get that grit down the right side. Also may be a sign they plan on signing Colborne and playing him there.

But I agree that fans are too high on Rychel. Good player who I like but upside isn't huge.

Rychel was a LW wasn't he?

LH shot but I saw Rychel play a lot of RW in junior. Unless im not remembering that correctly.

Can some one please explain why Detroit would have to retain Datsyuks contract if he is going to play in another league. That is just crazy or am I missing something?

Can some one please explain why Detroit would have to retain Datsyuks contract if he is going to play in another league. That is just crazy or am I missing something?

Ya i'm not too sure why.  Kovalchuk darted to the KHL and the Devils didn't have to eat Kovalchuk's cap hit.

Now, if Datsyuk retired from hockey, then ya, it should count against the cap.  That's because they don't want lengthy/cap circumvention contracts with older players who are about to retire.

Because he signed it past the age of 35 so any years after that the you retire count as full cap hit. Was a mechanism to try and prevent those crazy long term deals that were circumventing the cap.

Kovalchuk wasn't over 35 that's why when he retired the Devils didn't have any cap penalties.

Because he signed it past the age of 35 so any years after that the you retire count as full cap hit. Was a mechanism to try and prevent those crazy long term deals that were circumventing the cap.

Kovalchuk wasn't over 35 that's why when he retired the Devils didn't have any cap penalties.

What does retire mean though? Both Kovalchuk and Datsyuk are obviously not retiring from hockey.

What does retire mean though? Both Kovalchuk and Datsyuk are obviously not retiring from hockey.

Retired from the NHL and essentially are retiring from their contract.

I think my top trade targets going forward are:

Philipp Grubauer

Ryan Strome

Jakob Silfverberg

Free Agent Targets:

Jason Demers

Dale Weise

Carter Hutton

I think my top trade targets going forward are:

Philipp Grubauer

Ryan Strome

Jakob Silfverberg

Free Agent Targets:

Jason Demers

Dale Weise

Carter Hutton

Do you think NYI is tired of Strome?  He's a top 10 pick, so I don't know why they move him or for what.  I like the RHS part.

Silfverberg would be nice, but I don't think we get him from the Ducks.

I still see that as doable. The Jets got their kid @ #2, have a young roster & could use a player like Stajan. Especially if they can find a taker for Burmistrov (not well loved).

Another BT should be asking about is Dano. 21, last year of ELC & actually a pretty good player but the Jets have those @ LW by the truckload. With Laine 1 more got added to that list.

Laine can play either wing but that would push him to 2nd line behind Wheeler. Jets used Ehlers as #1 LW last year so no reason to think they don't use the new guy there as Laine > Ehlers. Although Ehlers plays both wings as well so might be #2 RW to start next season.

Do you think NYI is tired of Strome? He's a top 10 pick, so I don't know why they move him or for what. I like the RHS part.

Silfverberg would be nice, but I don't think we get him from the Ducks.

Strome seemed to struggle a bit this by ear under Capuano and might want a change in scenery. He is an RFA this year and who knows where they are at salary wise.

Silfverberg is a long shot, but I wonder with Anaheim being rumoured to be in on Stamkos, they might want to shed salary. I like Silfverberg, really good release and plays a really good two way game.

Is Nikita Kucherov offer sheet eligible? There might be a pressure point there if he is that we can use to try and trade for him.

Is Nikita Kucherov offer sheet eligible? There might be a pressure point there if he is that we can use to try and trade for him.

You mean the guy drafted directly after Wotherspoon?   :wacko:

I think so.  So is Killorn, but if you are going the  OS/Trade route, I think you want to target the RW.

He is.

Can't Imagine there is pressure though unless he doesn't want to be there. I think they would match and it sounds like they given stamkos their best offer so they will know where they stand on him.

I couldn't even fathom what the flames could offer in trade. Flames don't really have the value there unless they are giving up a core piece.

I'd like Killhorn but I think they keep him, unless stamkos signs. If stamkos doesn't they can fit him but if he does it gets tougher. I would want to know what Killhorn is looking for salary wise too. He might be asking for around 4 mill with the playoff results he has and that's too much.