The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

You mean the guy drafted directly after Wotherspoon?   :wacko:

I think so.  So is Killorn, but if you are going the  OS/Trade route, I think you want to target the RW.

So you would target Kucherov as well?

The rumours are that the Rangers want to take a run at Stamkos, but in order to do that they need to clear salary.

What would it take to get either Nash or Stepan with the Rangers eating some salary. If they kept enough to bring either player to $5mill would anyone be interested?

Nash plays either wing, he is big and can skate, just not sure he would gel on the top line.

Stephan is a right shot center, but I wonder if he can play RW, might be a good fit on the top line.

Depending on the contracts to Colborne, Gaudreau, and Monahan the Flames will probably have around 3 million in cap space assuming we defer bonuses to 17/18. If we don't sign Colborne that gets us closer to 5 million.

I think we need to clear Raymond, Wideman, Stajan, or another high priced player before we can consider any sort of high priced talent. That includes Nash, Okposo, Lucic, Stamkos, etc.

The rumours are that the Rangers want to take a run at Stamkos, but in order to do that they need to clear salary.

What would it take to get either Nash or Stepan with the Rangers eating some salary. If they kept enough to bring either player to $5mill would anyone be interested?

Nash plays either wing, he is big and can skate, just not sure he would gel on the top line.

Stephan is a right shot center, but I wonder if he can play RW, might be a good fit on the top line.

I would pass talking to NYR about any higher end pieces.  Hayes?  Sure.  Nash?  No freakin way. Stepan is way too expensive.

Killorn or Kucherov?  Absolutely.  2017 picks + prospects + cheap roster players.  Not all of this, just a starting point.  OS would be expensive to get him to sign, and cost about a 1st and 3rd.  I would offer Poirier + a 2nd + Spoon to start.  Or just stick to a prospect + picks.  Otherwise, sign him to a $3.9m OS or something like that.  

I would pass talking to NYR about any higher end pieces.  Hayes?  Sure.  Nash?  No freakin way. Stepan is way too expensive.

Killorn or Kucherov?  Absolutely.  2017 picks + prospects + cheap roster players.  Not all of this, just a starting point.  OS would be expensive to get him to sign, and cost about a 1st and 3rd.  I would offer Poirier + a 2nd + Spoon to start.  Or just stick to a prospect + picks.  Otherwise, sign him to a $3.9m OS or something like that.  

Sometimes the best way to help your team is to not help other teams. 

For example, Chicago has about 3 million less cap to work with because they went over with their bonuses. Why would any team want to help them with that situation? Especially teams in direct competition with them in west?

Kucherov is probably going to get $5mill+, $3.9m doesn't get it done.

I don't get the desire to bring in Hayes, I think Colborne is the better player and they are going to make about the same. Hayes went to the Rangers because he wanted to play center he won't get that chance here. Even at Stepan's contract I easily take him over Hayes.

Depending on the contracts to Colborne, Gaudreau, and Monahan the Flames will probably have around 3 million in cap space assuming we defer bonuses to 17/18. If we don't sign Colborne that gets us closer to 5 million.

I think we need to clear Raymond, Wideman, Stajan, or another high priced player before we can consider any sort of high priced talent. That includes Nash, Okposo, Lucic, Stamkos, etc.

Oh for sure, I would buy out Wideman asap.

We need the cap space (if we can clear it) more than we need Nash or Stephan.

So the answer to the bolded is NO!

I don't get the desire to bring in Hayes, I think Colborne is the better player and they are going to make about the same. Hayes went to the Rangers because he wanted to play center he won't get that chance here. Even at Stepan's contract I easily take him over Hayes.

Hayes is a slightly grittier version of Colborne.  He performed okay playing with Tanner Glass this year.

There's no definitive reason why he went to the Rangers.  He was used on wing as much as center.  We have holes on wing.  Put him with Backlund or Bennett and he would perform.  He will get a raise, but he won't get more than Colborne, unless NY keeps him.

With him and Kreider, they can;t keep both.

Strome seemed to struggle a bit this by ear under Capuano and might want a change in scenery. He is an RFA this year and who knows where they are at salary wise.

Silfverberg is a long shot, but I wonder with Anaheim being rumoured to be in on Stamkos, they might want to shed salary. I like Silfverberg, really good release and plays a really good two way game.

Apparently the NYI have stated they are not trading Strome.

Hayes is a slightly grittier version of Colborne.  He performed okay playing with Tanner Glass this year.

There's no definitive reason why he went to the Rangers.  He was used on wing as much as center.  We have holes on wing.  Put him with Backlund or Bennett and he would perform.  He will get a raise, but he won't get more than Colborne, unless NY keeps him.

With him and Kreider, they can;t keep both.

id also be on board -- remember we're not contemplating walking from Colborne because hes a bad player , its because hes close to his ceiling at potentially an overpaid 3M + player 

you likely get Hayes under 2M on his next contract , and if i recall he does tend to score clutch goals.. as opposed to meaningless ones.

I think he'd do much better here than new york as well

From some of the other forums you read, apparently Hayes on the wing is pretty much a disaster. He's decent when he plays center but sup par on the wing.

From some of the other forums you read, apparently Hayes on the wing is pretty much a disaster. He's decent when he plays center but sup par on the wing.

I could have sworn his first year was spent on RW.  This year was not good.  At times he had Glass on him wing.  Other times they put Staal on his wing.  Neither seemed successful at center.

If he only works well at center then I pass.  I would prefer to bring in a lesser RW that could fit with Sammy or Backlund until Pribyl makes it, if ever.  Armia or Nichushkin if cheap enough.  Nich has wheels.  Some reason he didn;t follow up his rookie year with anything good.  Maybe injury related, but know knows.

I could have sworn his first year was spent on RW.  This year was not good.  At times he had Glass on him wing.  Other times they put Staal on his wing.  Neither seemed successful at center.

If he only works well at center then I pass.  I would prefer to bring in a lesser RW that could fit with Sammy or Backlund until Pribyl makes it, if ever.  Armia or Nichushkin if cheap enough.  Nich has wheels.  Some reason he didn;t follow up his rookie year with anything good.  Maybe injury related, but know knows.

I could see something like that, although I think Nichushkin would probably cost too much to acquire. I would be ok with trading for Armia.

Another guy i'd interested in would be Tomas Jurco. I don't know if he is waiver eligible, if he is we could maybe swing a deal for a lower pick like we did with Colborne.

I still would like Hartnell in our top 6. But now instead of an exchange of draft picks the BJs get short term cap relief by taking an unwanted but shorter contract off our hands & give us a 2nd rounder &/or prospect.

The contract they take & whether there is any retention of salary determines the value of the prospect we get.

I still would like Hartnell in our top 6. But now instead of an exchange of draft picks the BJs get short term cap relief by taking an unwanted but shorter contract off our hands & give us a 2nd rounder &/or prospect.

The contract they take & whether there is any retention of salary determines the value of the prospect we get.

So, a couple of choice there.  Smid for LTIR relief.  Stajan for actual help at center and a minor bit of cap savings.  

Can;t see any great fits from the prospect list, but some possibilities:

These guys have to be protected:

Josh Anderson

William Karlsson

This guy is exempt:

Sonny Milano

So, a couple of choice there.  Smid for LTIR relief.  Stajan for actual help at center and a minor bit of cap savings.  

Can;t see any great fits from the prospect list, but some possibilities:

These guys have to be protected:

Josh Anderson

William Karlsson

This guy is exempt:

Sonny Milano

Why not Bouma, they just traded Rychel LW. See if they would retain some salary for just this season on Hartnell and put him with Backlund.

Why not Bouma, they just traded Rychel LW. See if they would retain some salary for just this season on Hartnell and put him with Backlund.

Rychel wasn`t on the team, so I would rather give them a versatile player with more cap or a LTIR relief player.

They can't go over the cap very much, so giving them an LTIR isn't going to help the Jackets.

Bouma for Hartnell maybe a good idea. They'd save on cap hit by about 3M. Although, Bouma might be serviceable with the new coach and not as injury prone?

They can't go over the cap very much, so giving them an LTIR isn't going to help the Jackets.

Bouma for Hartnell maybe a good idea. They'd save on cap hit by about 3M. Although, Bouma might be serviceable with the new coach and not as injury prone?

Hartnell for Smid saves them $1m on day 1, followed by a savings of $3.5m on day 2 of the season.

Sure, I would trade Hartnell for Bouma.  I would prefer to get out from under a Stajan or Smid contract, unless they know he never plays again.

Hartnell for Smid saves them $1m on day 1, followed by a savings of $3.5m on day 2 of the season.

Sure, I would trade Hartnell for Bouma.  I would prefer to get out from under a Stajan or Smid contract, unless they know he never plays again.

Stajan and Raymond would be good for NJD, they have a lot of forwards to replace, get BT to retain some salary if need be.

Stajan and Raymond would be good for NJD, they have a lot of forwards to replace, get BT to retain some salary if need be.

I suspect they are going shoppin' in FA.  They have too many UFA's.  Maybe they have some interest in Wideman, as they have nobody on their roster.

I suspect they are going shoppin' in FA.  They have too many UFA's.  Maybe they have some interest in Wideman, as they have nobody on their roster.

These GMs like to do each other favors, maybe BT can sweeten the pot by giving up a few players they could use in a rebuild like Agostino and Poirier. I can see these two being passed over real soon here.

These GMs like to do each other favors, maybe BT can sweeten the pot by giving up a few players they could use in a rebuild like Agostino and Poirier. I can see these two being passed over real soon here.

I don't think we really know what kind of players we have in Agostino or Poirier yet.  Both are top 9 or bust players on a team rolling 3 lines.  If we were to roll 4 lines, they would have a better chance to be evaluated.  

It's hard to go from top line in the AHL to 4th line in the (Hartley) NHL.  Poirier had an off year, so I wouldn't use that as the reason to cut bait on him.  We have slower developing players than that.  Culkin, BVB, Seiloff, Klimchuk....

I think there is a market for Wideman.  Stajan has some value elsewhere too.  Bouma is like the forward version of Russell, and is valued by some teams.  Engelland makes sense to teams that get pushed around.

I think you pass on Hartnell. I was fine discussing him if it mean getting Puljujarvi but outside of that I dont' think it makes sense. His NMC impacts there expansion draft and could cost them someone, and I don't think his ticket makes alot of sense for the Flames to carry for the next 3 years. 

If Columbus took either Smid, Raymond and ate 1 million or took Stajan then I would consdier it but they arn't getting much from me in return. I have a feeling Columbus could do better than that if they dealt Hartnell elsewhere. 

I don't think we really know what kind of players we have in Agostino or Poirier yet.  Both are top 9 or bust players on a team rolling 3 lines.  If we were to roll 4 lines, they would have a better chance to be evaluated.  

It's hard to go from top line in the AHL to 4th line in the (Hartley) NHL.  Poirier had an off year, so I wouldn't use that as the reason to cut bait on him.  We have slower developing players than that.  Culkin, BVB, Seiloff, Klimchuk....

I think there is a market for Wideman.  Stajan has some value elsewhere too.  Bouma is like the forward version of Russell, and is valued by some teams.  Engelland makes sense to teams that get pushed around.

You always seem to think we can trade our desperation without putting anything good into a deal. Do you think all other GMs are suckers ? Agostino and Poirier will be average players, go let them be 3rd line players somewhere that needs them, we won't miss them. I am not even concerned about moving Bouma and Engelland this offseason, they actually have roles to play on this team.

I think you pass on Hartnell. I was fine discussing him if it mean getting Puljujarvi but outside of that I dont' think it makes sense. His NMC impacts there expansion draft and could cost them someone, and I don't think his ticket makes alot of sense for the Flames to carry for the next 3 years. 

If Columbus took either Smid, Raymond and ate 1 million or took Stajan then I would consdier it but they arn't getting much from me in return. I have a feeling Columbus could do better than that if they dealt Hartnell elsewhere. 

I agree

The NMC is the problem with Hartnell.  Teams already are starting to look at their protect lists.  Sure, you can ask that he leave behind the NMC, but it's not a given.  Getting rid of Smid or Stajan would be a fair trade.  We possibly lose one protected spot or he allows himself to be exposed.  CBJ could do the exact same thing, though.

We talk a lot about adding players that make us harder to play against, but balk at one that does it consistently.  He may be older, but he would stick up for Bennett or Johnny, whoever he is playing with.  The net impact to this year's cap would be about a million, which is cheaper than any good solution in FA.

You always seem to think we can trade our desperation without putting anything good into a deal. Do you think all other GMs are suckers ? Agostino and Poirier will be average players, go let them be 3rd line players somewhere that needs them, we won't miss them. I am not even concerned about moving Bouma and Engelland this offseason, they actually have roles to play on this team.

I agree

I'm not sure what you think you will get adding those players to a Wideman or Stajan deal.  They aren't exempt.  Their NHL experience is limited.  Their value in a trade is low.  Saying that, what do you know about the ceilings of Poirier or Agostino?

Tomas Tatar was no better in the AHL at Poirier's age.  Agostino's a bit harder to predict, but can't say what he will end up as.