The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I went through some rosters at GenFan looking for a landing spot for Wides, and I'm just going to throw a few ideas out here. I don't know much about pick values or prospect values, so I'll leave that up to you guys if you think there's a starting point for a trade below, and add/takeaway whatever you like. Again, just a list of potential opportunities - some of which may be plausible, others unlikely. Let's get the juices flowing. :P

Player: Wideman

Potential Targets:

Franson (Buffalo) - both players are UFA at the end of this year. Franson's salary is $3.3mil

Yakupov (Edmonton) - He's a RW. Value is low. 2G (Glen Gulutzan) apparently works well with younger players

Hickey (Islanders) - He's got 2 years left @ $2.2mil which reduces this years cap, but adds a bit to next. I simply like this player. Don't know how realistic this trade is, but if the Islanders see Boychuk, Hamonic, and Leddy as their 3 protected D for expansion, maybe there's a chance we can get this guy.

Michalek/Laich (Toronto) - Both have lower salaries than Wides and are UFA at end of the year. Michalek intrigues me more.

Bernier/Robidas (Toronto) - Bernier could be our backup @ a $1.75mil savings, or trade for Robidas who's LTIR @ $3mil

Higgins (Vancouver) - Cap less than half Wideman's + he's UFA this year. If Hamhuis walks, maybe they want Wides?

Stafford/Pavalec (Winnipeg) - Pavalec could be our backup and will be UFA, Stafford is a RW but I don't think they trade him.

Williams (Washington) - Pipe dream methinks.

Alternative options: they have cap space, picks/prospects back?:

Arizona - Looks like they iced 10 Dmen last year... could be a fit here, though, Chyka being an analytics guy may not want Wideman

Carolina - prospects or pick(s)

Boston - only here because last year there was a rumour Boston was interested. I don't see an NHL player return though.

Just get him off our roster!

Marc Savard - $4mil cap hit this season only, we save $1.75mil, NJ gets a Dman.

The NMC is the problem with Hartnell.  Teams already are starting to look at their protect lists.  Sure, you can ask that he leave behind the NMC, but it's not a given.  Getting rid of Smid or Stajan would be a fair trade.  We possibly lose one protected spot or he allows himself to be exposed.  CBJ could do the exact same thing, though.

We talk a lot about adding players that make us harder to play against, but balk at one that does it consistently.  He may be older, but he would stick up for Bennett or Johnny, whoever he is playing with.  The net impact to this year's cap would be about a million, which is cheaper than any good solution in FA.

I'm not sure what you think you will get adding those players to a Wideman or Stajan deal.  They aren't exempt.  Their NHL experience is limited.  Their value in a trade is low.  Saying that, what do you know about the ceilings of Poirier or Agostino?

Tomas Tatar was no better in the AHL at Poirier's age.  Agostino's a bit harder to predict, but can't say what he will end up as.

I agree. Agostino has been very good in the AHL and showed excellent smarts and leadership in college. I see him as a better version of Jooris who will likely end up a very effective middle six support player. Poirier is an agitating, very fast scorer who was focusing on his 22' game last year who I expect to end up as a top 6 RW this year or next. It is way too early to give up on them.

I went through some rosters at GenFan looking for a landing spot for Wides, and I'm just going to throw a few ideas out here. I don't know much about pick values or prospect values, so I'll leave that up to you guys if you think there's a starting point for a trade below, and add/takeaway whatever you like. Again, just a list of potential opportunities - some of which may be plausible, others unlikely. Let's get the juices flowing. :P

Potential Targets:

Franson (Buffalo) - both players are UFA at the end of this year. Franson's salary is $3.3mil

Yakupov (Edmonton) - He's a RW. Value is low. 2G (Glen Gulutzan) apparently works well with younger players

Hickey (Islanders) - He's got 2 years left @ $2.2mil which reduces this years cap, but adds a bit to next. I simply like this player. Don't know how realistic this trade is, but if the Islanders see Boychuk, Hamonic, and Leddy as their 3 protected D for expansion, maybe there's a chance we can get this guy.

Michalek/Laich (Toronto) - Both have lower salaries than Wides and are UFA at end of the year. Michalek intrigues me more.

Bernier/Robidas (Toronto) - Bernier could be our backup @ a $1.75mil savings, or trade for Robidas who's LTIR @ $3mil

Higgins (Vancouver) - Cap less than half Wideman's + he's UFA this year. If Hamhuis walks, maybe they want Wides?

Stafford/Pavalec (Winnipeg) - Pavalec could be our backup and will be UFA, Stafford is a RW but I don't think they trade him.

Arizona - Looks like they iced 10 Dmen last year... could be a fit here, though, Chyka being an analytics guy may not want Wideman

Boston - only here because last year there was a rumour Boston was interested. I don't see an NHL player return though.

The best fit of all the suggestions is Wideman for Yakupov, plus or minus. Fills needs on both sides, we may have to retain salary or add a sweetener. Wideman is likely to rebound and would add some veteran savvy to the young Oiler D, and could be good for them for a few years yet. Yak is a reclamation project with skills but not good with Edmonton. If he ever makes it is seriously a question but it might turn out roses. It seems a no-brainer for both teams but being provincial rivals the fans of both wouldn't like it no matter what.

Potential Targets:

I'm just going to comment on what I don't want.

No to Franson - not needed.

No to Higgins - going to be bought out; don't like the player at all anyway.

No to Robidas (too douchy), and no to Bernier (too expoensive a backup).

No to anything including Pavelec.

• Like 1

The NMC is the problem with Hartnell.  Teams already are starting to look at their protect lists.  Sure, you can ask that he leave behind the NMC, but it's not a given.  Getting rid of Smid or Stajan would be a fair trade.  We possibly lose one protected spot or he allows himself to be exposed.  CBJ could do the exact same thing, though.

We talk a lot about adding players that make us harder to play against, but balk at one that does it consistently.  He may be older, but he would stick up for Bennett or Johnny, whoever he is playing with.  The net impact to this year's cap would be about a million, which is cheaper than any good solution in FA.

I'm not sure what you think you will get adding those players to a Wideman or Stajan deal.  They aren't exempt.  Their NHL experience is limited.  Their value in a trade is low.  Saying that, what do you know about the ceilings of Poirier or Agostino?

Tomas Tatar was no better in the AHL at Poirier's age.  Agostino's a bit harder to predict, but can't say what he will end up as.

I know all I need to know, they are going to get passed over so trade them and let try elsewhere. They are young enough to try and make the NJD with plenty of opportunity there. I think they are the value in the deal that helps move the other two Stajan and Raymond and it is more important we get them out of our scenario.

Potential Targets:

If we could do a Wideman for Yakupov I would go for it. We take a chance on Yakupov and they get a much needed defenseman. Otherwise I think BT has to focus in the East to find a deal for Wideman.

• Like 1

I think yak would cost more than Wideman, maybe plus a prospect or pick?

I don't think so but I do think it takes retained salary on our part.

I keep hearing & reading that Detroit is in the market for D. Apparently talks about Shattenkirk ended after St. Louis asked for Dylan Larkin.

As the main aim for the Flames is cap room to add that RW after we re-up Gaudreau & Monahan we ask for a pick or prospect (not the cream of the crop but usable). The Wings have cap space (especially after trading the Datsyuk's contract) so have no urgent need to dump salary as part of a deal for Wideman.

They add a 20+ minute guy for next to nothing while we free up 5.25 for shopping.

• Like 1

I know all I need to know, they are going to get passed over so trade them and let try elsewhere. They are young enough to try and make the NJD with plenty of opportunity there. I think they are the value in the deal that helps move the other two Stajan and Raymond and it is more important we get them out of our scenario.

I don't dispute that they may get passed over by Mangiapane and Janko at some point, and for sure by Tkachuk within a year, but right now they are ahead of any soon-to-be pro prospect.  A lot of people here talk about letting player develop until overripe, but neither has reached that point.  Poirier is 21.  Agostino is 24, but only played two pro seasons.

Shinkaruk passed both of them at this point by the luxury of scoring at the NHL level.  His AHL number are no better than Agostino's.

Include themn in a trade where you get something of real value, don't just throw them in to offset a cap dump.

I keep hearing & reading that Detroit is in the market for D. Apparently talks about Shattenkirk ended after St. Louis asked for Dylan Larkin.

As the main aim for the Flames is cap room to add that RW after we re-up Gaudreau & Monahan we ask for a pick or prospect (not the cream of the crop but usable). The Wings have cap space (especially after trading the Datsyuk's contract) so have no urgent need to dump salary as part of a deal for Wideman.

They add a 20+ minute guy for next to nothing while we free up 5.25 for shopping.

How about Ryan Sproul for Wideman and some retained ?

I don't dispute that they may get passed over by Mangiapane and Janko at some point, and for sure by Tkachuk within a year, but right now they are ahead of any soon-to-be pro prospect.  A lot of people here talk about letting player develop until overripe, but neither has reached that point.  Poirier is 21.  Agostino is 24, but only played two pro seasons.

Shinkaruk passed both of them at this point by the luxury of scoring at the NHL level.  His AHL number are no better than Agostino's.

Include themn in a trade where you get something of real value, don't just throw them in to offset a cap dump.

I don't think any of these players are ready for full time NHL action and could all use another year in the AHL. We have way to many LW players right now and Agostino is hitting 24, give him an opportunity with a team that may have an opening. Poirier I just don't see as top 6 material on RW and we will have a surplus here very soon. We can't keep everyone and if they can be instrumental in moving some of our redundancy I think BT has to consider it.

How about Ryan Sproul for Wideman and some retained ?

I'd do it but his upside (& their history of taking prospects along slow until ready) means the Wings probably won't.

We want/need the cap space. I'd rather not retain & take a pick.

I'd do it but his upside (& their history of taking prospects along slow until ready) means the Wings probably won't.

We want/need the cap space. I'd rather not retain & take a pick.

Fair enough good point.

It's funny, I keep feeling Detroit is the destination for Wideman, but I hesitated to post that because it wasn't a good enough reason :huh: I see him in a Wings jersey for some reason

Brett Connolly didn't receive a QO from the Bruins today. I would target him as a UFA.

Brett Connolly didn't receive a QO from the Bruins today. I would target him as a UFA.

Agreed. He could actually fit on the top line from a skill set. Really suprised the Bruins didn't qualify him or get something in a trade. 

Agreed. He could actually fit on the top line from a skill set. Really suprised the Bruins didn't qualify him or get something in a trade. 

Seems very strange the B's didn't qualify him, I thought he looked like a decent player.  To be fair though the B's have really looked "odd" through 2-years now.... lots of questionable decisions.

Interesting: NJ didn't send QO to Beau Bennett, Devante Smith-Pelley, or Jon Merrill.

I am very surprised by Merrill and Bennett not getting QO. If either get to UFA I would take a flyer on them.

Seems very strange the B's didn't qualify him, I thought he looked like a decent player.  To be fair though the B's have really looked "odd" through 2-years now.... lots of questionable decisions.

I"m less surprised that they didn't qualify him and more than they coudn't move him for anything. I Mean Chiasson got Seiloff at least.

Pastrnak and Spooner, who was moved to Rw, really played well in the 2nd half and they have Jimmy Hayes as well. They've got some dpeth down the RW and are rumored to be pursuing some top FAs.

Then again, easy to forget that just becuase they arn't qualified doesn't mean they won't stay. They may be not qualifying him becuase he is due over 1 mill on a QO and they may want him cheaper.

Devisl just non qualifed both Beau Bennett and Devante Smith Pelly and there is no way those guys are walking. I think the Devils jsut want them cheaper/on better terms. 

What's his injury history look like?  His NHL numbers are less than impressive, but that doesn't tell the full story.

At around $1m, he fits the bill as much as Jooris does.

What's his injury history look like?  His NHL numbers are less than impressive, but that doesn't tell the full story.

At around $1m, he fits the bill as much as Jooris does.

The odd one here and there. Broke a finger, bruised a knee but nothing continuious. 

He is a bit of a "bust" in the sense he won't live up to the draft hype.  I dont' think his skating is good enough to ever warrant the 6th overal pick but he can move just fine and has a godo cycle game. He's been a bit snake bitten in terms of putting th epuck in the net, but had no problem with that in junior.

Don't expect big number, but for a 1 year deal I think he could give you a decent RH shot option. REally attarctive if you can't get Colborne under contract or if he wants move than 2. I'd take Connolly at 1 year less than 2 than Colborne at over 2mill for multiple years. Pretty similar skill sets IMO

The odd one here and there. Broke a finger, bruised a knee but nothing continuious. 

He is a bit of a "bust" in the sense he won't live up to the draft hype.  I dont' think his skating is good enough to ever warrant the 6th overal pick but he can move just fine and has a godo cycle game. He's been a bit snake bitten in terms of putting th epuck in the net, but had no problem with that in junior.

Don't expect big number, but for a 1 year deal I think he could give you a decent RH shot option. REally attarctive if you can't get Colborne under contract or if he wants move than 2. I'd take Connolly at 1 year less than 2 than Colborne at over 2mill for multiple years. Pretty similar skill sets IMO

Flames announced only Johnny, Monahan, Spoon and Freddie were qualified.  They continue to negotiate with Colborne, Ortio and Jooris.

Sweeney is a fool.

I remember Brett Connolly took a pretty nasty hit from behind in his rookie year and suffered a concussion in the process.  Sadly, that might have ended his career before it began.