The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Interesting: NJ didn't send QO to Beau Bennett, Devante Smith-Pelley, or Jon Merrill.

I am very surprised by Merrill and Bennett not getting QO. If either get to UFA I would take a flyer on them.

If DSP is hitting UFA, i think the Flames should look into it.  He finished the season really strong in NJ with 13-points in 18-games.  His career was on the up and up in Anaheim until he was traded to Montreal.  With his performance in NJ, it looks like it was Montreal that was the problem and he's right back on track.  He's only 6 ft tall but he's got that cannon ball build and will run guys over.  A RHS RW version of Lance Bouma but heavier.

I wonder what's the price tag.

I lke Smith-Pelley too but i'm skeptical he will hit UFA. Apparantly Devils are working on a deal and most seem to think it will get done.

However, if he gets there I'd be interested for sure but only less than 2 million. He dind't play well with the Habs at all but even with the Ducks I think he was only flashing 3rd line upside so I do think his perfromance with the Devils is not the norm. 

I lke Smith-Pelley too but i'm skeptical he will hit UFA. Apparantly Devils are working on a deal and most seem to think it will get done.

However, if he gets there I'd be interested for sure but only less than 2 million. He dind't play well with the Habs at all but even with the Ducks I think he was only flashing 3rd line upside so I do think his perfromance with the Devils is not the norm. 

Any interest in Pirri?

Any interest in Pirri?

Not me personally no. Too one dimensional of a player. Basically has to score or he does zero to help your team. 

His last contract was 0.8 x 2 so a QO would have only been 0.88, No guarantee he settles for that but I don't think an arbitrator would have awarded him as much as $2 million based on his 18 game history in NJ. He won't get that as UFA either.

If NJ wanted to keep him the QO would have been made. You can walk away from arbitration awards.

I'd like to give him a try but would offer 1-1.2 on a 1 year contract.

His last contract was 0.8 x 2 so a QO would have only been 0.88, No guarantee he settles for that but I don't think an arbitrator would have awarded him as much as $2 million based on his 18 game history in NJ. He won't get that as UFA either.

If NJ wanted to keep him the QO would have been made. You can walk away from arbitration awards.

I'd like to give him a try but would offer 1-1.2 on a 1 year contract.

Only if the award is above a certain amount. Believe its 3.7mill this year, which I agree he woudn't have gotten, so whatever the aribitrator awarded Devils were stuck with. Which i'm sure is why they didn't qualify him. 

My fear if he hits UFa would be someone would give him a Bouma type deal so that's why I saw under 2 million. For a year or two at a shade over a million he's worth a roll of the dice, but not more. 

There have been some rumors that NIchushkin is threatening to go back to Russia, it seems like he isn't on the same page as Lindy Ruff in Dallas. I am not a huge fan of Nichushkin, but at the right price I would acquire him as there is an intriguing blend of size and skill there.

I wonder if Poirier + a 3rd would work. I would do Poirier + a 2nd.

There have been some rumors that NIchushkin is threatening to go back to Russia, it seems like he isn't on the same page as Lindy Ruff in Dallas. I am not a huge fan of Nichushkin, but at the right price I would acquire him as there is an intriguing blend of size and skill there.

I wonder if Poirier + a 3rd would work. I would do Poirier + a 2nd.

He had a sophomore slump last year.  Not sure the Stars give up on Nichushkin so fast and for so little.  Poirier's own development has been less than stellar.  

So the talk is now Lucic to Edm which would move Hall out for a top Dman. The only player I actually like on the Oilers is Hall. EDM need right hand Dman or a legit #1 dman .  Do we have and would BT send them the other way to get Hall?

Bringing in Lucic and trading out Hall would go a long way to fix the culture of that team.  Hall is obviously a much better player than Lucic but if you can bring in Lucic and a top 2 defenseman and lose Hall in the process I think they'd be further ahead in the short term at least. 

If Lucic ends up signing a 6 year deal, as has been suspected, I think the team will very much regret the final 3-4 years of that deal.  If it's the Oilers and they lose Hall for 2 decent years of Lucic I suppose I'm in favour of that.

The one knock on PC in Boston was his cap management. Cost him Kessel and Segin becuaes they loaded up with too many FAs at big tickets and looks to have the same plan in Edmonton. I get it to a certain degree because I think when they look at how cheap McDavid and Draistil are for the next 2 years I think they is a lot of pressure to win now but good chance they'll screw things up in 2 years time when McDavid needs 8 million or more.

While the logic of signing Lucic to trade Hall has some validity to it, I question what ture top pairing dman a team is actually going to trade you. I thikn what is more likely is they wind up trading Hall for a package including a 3/4 dman and I would argue that is a step back.

Dare to dream Oilers, dare to dream....

At best Edmonton is going to get a Shattenkirk or a Fowler, good defensemen but not really guys you build a D core around.

This sort of seems like when Dallas gave up Niskanen and Neal for Goligoski.

Dallas may be looking for a short-term deal for another D-man, with the great possibility of losing Demers as a UFA.  They really don't have any great depth.  So, I am suggesting Nichushkin for Wideman with $2m retained.  Nich is a RFA that was just qualified, so at worst he gets about $1m.  I think they soured on him IMHO.

May not be enough, but it's a start.  Add in Kulak as a prospect or something.

Dallas may be looking for a short-term deal for another D-man, with the great possibility of losing Demers as a UFA.  They really don't have any great depth.  So, I am suggesting Nichushkin for Wideman with $2m retained.  Nich is a RFA that was just qualified, so at worst he gets about $1m.  I think they soured on him IMHO.

May not be enough, but it's a start.  Add in Kulak as a prospect or something.

I agree we should try and get Nicuhkin.it will take more than 1M to sign him tho, likely closer to the 2 range. I personally think hed be an excellent fit for top line. He plays physical, can score but I think hes a victim of Seguin/Sven syndrome. In the coaches doghouse, being used in bottom roles not playing to his strength. Getting him tho would preclude Colborne tho.

His current threat of KHL to get out of Dallas should drive his price down

Obviously would be great to get him at that low but i'm very skeptical that is all it would take. A top 10 pick from ony a few years ago I think would get more than a so/so veteran dman with one year on his deal. Flames had to move Baertschi and they still got a 2nd so I don't see Dallas giving Nichuksin away. 

I'm not personally that big a fan and i woudn't target him that hard. Sure he can complain about things in Dallas but the reality is his game has alot of holes in it that are making it hard for Ruff to play him that much. Whatever team acquires him still has the threat of the KHL so you could end up giving up a decnet prospect or top 60 pick and still lose him next summer.

Not a great target IMO. I'm pretty skepital he'll be anything more than an avg NHLer. 

Obviously would be great to get him at that low but i'm very skeptical that is all it would take. A top 10 pick from ony a few years ago I think would get more than a so/so veteran dman with one year on his deal. Flames had to move Baertschi and they still got a 2nd so I don't see Dallas giving Nichuksin away. 

I'm not personally that big a fan and i woudn't target him that hard. Sure he can complain about things in Dallas but the reality is his game has alot of holes in it that are making it hard for Ruff to play him that much. Whatever team acquires him still has the threat of the KHL so you could end up giving up a decnet prospect or top 60 pick and still lose him next summer.

Not a great target IMO. I'm pretty skepital he'll be anything more than an avg NHLer.

Im sure before any deal got made, talks will have already happened with his agent..so theyll know what will keep him from bolting to the K.

Yes, we got a 2nd for Sven, but we had no threat of losing the player for nothing

Im sure before any deal got made, talks will have already happened with his agent..so theyll know what will keep him from bolting to the K.

Yes, we got a 2nd for Sven, but we had no threat of losing the player for nothing

Sven told the team he wasn't going to sign and did threaten to go play in Europe if he had to. 

Sven told the team he wasn't going to sign and did threaten to go play in Europe if he had to.

That is true, but it was also early in the season not a few days away from free agency.

That said, I agree that Dallas can get a bit more. It doesn't sound like many teams had interest in Baertschi. A number will have interest in Nichushkin.

That is true, but it was also early in the season not a few days away from free agency.

That said, I agree that Dallas can get a bit more. It doesn't sound like many teams had interest in Baertschi. A number will have interest in Nichushkin.

So a 2nd + Wideman ($2m retained) isn't close to the ballpark?  

If Adam Larsson netted Taylor Hall we should be able to get McDavid+ for Hamilton.

Get on the phone Tree.

If Adam Larsson netted Taylor Hall we should be able to get McDavid+ for Hamilton.

Get on the phone Tree.

Chia shows some stones in the trade.  Somehow, the fans will be told he is the reason they lost every year.  Until next year.  I would be trading for the Oilers 2017 1st rounder.  Even when they lose the lotto, they still somehow win it.

I really don't know if I have ever wanted anything more than in life than I want Treliving to trade for Lucic's rights and sign him right now. I don't even care about the term or cap hit, just the joy it would bring to know that we screwed with the Oilers, it really would be priceless.

• Like 1