The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I really don't know if I have ever wanted anything more than in life than I want Treliving to trade for Lucic's rights and sign him right now. I don't even care about the term or cap hit, just the joy it would bring to know that we screwed with the Oilers, it really would be priceless.

This would not surprise me..like I put in the free agency thread, we are up to something big, dont know what it is but this could easily be it. We may not have a shiny new building, we dont have Mcdavid but we do have Johnny. And between calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton were the closest to a deep playoff run. Lots of reasons to pick us over them

And I will giggle my butt off if it happens lol

What does it cost to get Kucherov from Tampa, not sure they can afford him. Goal scoring RWer would be a nice fit on the top line.

What does it cost to get Kucherov from Tampa, not sure they can afford him. Goal scoring RWer would be a nice fit on the top line.

What do we have that is cheap and good is the question. TB gets interesting now.

What do we have that is cheap and good is the question. TB gets interesting now.

Yup, they are going to be in trouble relative to the Cap.  It adds a lot of emphasis on trading Bishop.  But, on the other hand perhaps they make one last, desperate attempt at a Cup and to hell with the losses next June?

I think Kucherov has to get a similar deal to Forsberg 6x6.

With Drouin seeming to turn a corner I think they can move on from Kucherov. Would anyone give up next year's 1st for Kucherov? I think we should be a playoff team next especially if we added some goal scoring and better goaltending and better coaching.

Tampa has to keep Bishop if they serious about making another run at the cup and then trade his rights after the season comes to an end next year.

With Drouin seeming to turn a corner I think they can move on from Kucherov. Would anyone give up next year's 1st for Kucherov? I think we should be a playoff team next especially if we added some goal scoring and better goaltending and better coaching.

Tampa has to keep Bishop if they serious about making another run at the cup and then trade his rights after the season comes to an end next year.

I would gladly do that.  Add a conditional (on re-signing).  He would be a great add on our side.  Even offer a prospect in the deal.

Was just thinking that myself.  For me the answer is yes, you aren't going to get a better goal scoring winger in the first round next year anyway.

I wish but I think they can afford him. Still have almost 10 mill in cap room after Stamkos and really only Kucherov and Kilhorn to sign. I don't think its impossible to get both of them done for 10 mill and if not they've got options to dump 2-3 million or more in salary if they wanted to.

I don't think they trade Kucherov. However, Alex Killhorn may be a different story. going to be hard to retain him JOhnson and Palat. 

If it got to the point where they would deal Kucherov yes I would trade a first rounder I just don't think it will get there.I would be asking about Killhorn though, he fits what the Flames need IMO. 

If we want a 40 point forward for 3 million, why not just sign Colborne? Besides, on top of having to give potential raises to Palat, Johnson, Hedman, Drouin and Bishop next year, there are also issues for tampa surrounding the upcoming expansion draft.  They can only protect 7 forwards (or 8 skaters), and have to protect the no movement clause players.  So the list will include Stamkos, Callahan and Filppula.  That leaves only four places for Drouin, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov and Killorn (assuming all others are more or less expendable, which may not be how management views it).  So between the risk of losing one of those guys for nothing next year plus the cap crunch coming next year (even if they let Bishop walk), moving a guy like Kucherov for solid futures might make the most sense.

If we want a 40 point forward for 3 million, why not just sign Colborne? Besides, on top of having to give potential raises to Palat, Johnson, Hedman, Drouin and Bishop next year, there are also issues for tampa surrounding the upcoming expansion draft.  They can only protect 7 forwards (or 8 skaters), and have to protect the no movement clause players.  So the list will include Stamkos, Callahan and Filppula.  That leaves only four places for Drouin, Palat, Johnson, Kucherov and Killorn (assuming all others are more or less expendable, which may not be how management views it).  So between the risk of losing one of those guys for nothing next year plus the cap crunch coming next year (even if they let Bishop walk), moving a guy like Kucherov for solid futures might make the most sense.

For 1, I dont' consider Joe Colborne a 40 point forward and think he is going to be had pressed to repeat. I think he's more likely a 12-15 goal 30 points guy. 2 - Alex Killhorn is a better overal hockey player. Faster, uses his size more, and advanced stats heavily favor Killhorn. 

I could be wrong, but to me the LIghting would trade someone like Killhorn/Palat/Johnson and buyout Fillpula before they let Kucherov go. Kucherov was their best player in the playoffs and has been even when Stamkos has been healthy. I think they find a way to afford him. 

For 1, I dont' consider Joe Colborne a 40 point forward and think he is going to be had pressed to repeat. I think he's more likely a 12-15 goal 30 points guy. 2 - Alex Killhorn is a better overal hockey player. Faster, uses his size more, and advanced stats heavily favor Killhorn. 

I could be wrong, but to me the LIghting would trade someone like Killhorn/Palat/Johnson and buyout Fillpula before they let Kucherov go. Kucherov was their best player in the playoffs and has been even when Stamkos has been healthy. I think they find a way to afford him. 

Count me in on Killorn.  Maybe not as costly as Kucherov, but nonetheless a good player.  We shall help Tampa in any way we can.

Maybe we should still ask about Drouin, Kucherov practically carried that team in Stamkos absence. Drouin would look good beside Bennett.

I wish but I think they can afford him. Still have almost 10 mill in cap room after Stamkos and really only Kucherov and Kilhorn to sign. I don't think its impossible to get both of them done for 10 mill and if not they've got options to dump 2-3 million or more in salary if they wanted to.

I don't think they trade Kucherov. However, Alex Killhorn may be a different story. going to be hard to retain him JOhnson and Palat.

If it got to the point where they would deal Kucherov yes I would trade a first rounder I just don't think it will get there.I would be asking about Killhorn though, he fits what the Flames need IMO.

Tampa has just over $9m to re-sign Kucherov, Killorn, Nesterov and Namestnikov. Kucherov is going to take up $6m on his own. You might be right and they decide to keep him and move Killorn. Even then I think they need move another forward. Next year Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Hedman, Bishop and Vasilevskiy all need new deals. Tampa is in trouble. If they want to keep Kucherov, I would gladly take Palat off their hands, he is on a cap friendly deal this year, but is due a good raise next year. I would take Johnson as he is a right shot but I don't know if we can handle another sub 5'9" player in our top 6.

Tampa has just over $9m to re-sign Kucherov, Killorn, Nesterov and Namestnikov. Kucherov is going to take up $6m on his own. You might be right and they decide to keep him and move Killorn. Even then I think they need move another forward. Next year Johnson, Palat, Drouin, Hedman, Bishop and Vasilevskiy all need new deals. Tampa is in trouble. If they want to keep Kucherov, I would gladly take Palat off their hands, he is on a cap friendly deal this year, but is due a good raise next year. I would take Johnson as he is a right shot but I don't know if we can handle another sub 5'9" player in our top 6.

Forget about the cap and just consider expansion.  I did a quick list of protecting players, and since they haven't signalled a buyout (they could still buy out Callahan or Filppula), they are going to be limited in protecting players.  Here's my list:

Stamkos

Callahan

Filippula

Johnson

Palat

Kucherov

Drouin

Leaves out Killorn and Nemestnikov.  And they still have to do something about the goalies.  They may be able to trade Bishop, but do they want to?

Forget about the cap and just consider expansion.  I did a quick list of protecting players, and since they haven't signalled a buyout (they could still buy out Callahan or Filppula), they are going to be limited in protecting players.  Here's my list:

Stamkos

Callahan

Filippula

Johnson

Palat

Kucherov

Drouin

Leaves out Killorn and Nemestnikov.  And they still have to do something about the goalies.  They may be able to trade Bishop, but do they want to?

On Bishop all Tampa has to do is not sign an extension with him until after the expansion draft.  I think they will try to move him, but I don't think they have to.  

On the others, that is a big enough list that they don't have to worry about it today.  They can make trades post season if they want.  They are also a cup contender and can risk losing a decent player to the expansion draft if that is what it takes to take a run to the cup.  It is no different then holding on to a pending free agent or acquiring a deadline rental.  When you are in their space the priority is the cup, not protecting your assets.  

Forget about the cap and just consider expansion. I did a quick list of protecting players, and since they haven't signalled a buyout (they could still buy out Callahan or Filppula), they are going to be limited in protecting players. Here's my list:

Stamkos

Callahan

Filippula

Johnson

Palat

Kucherov

Drouin

Leaves out Killorn and Nemestnikov. And they still have to do something about the goalies. They may be able to trade Bishop, but do they want to?

I don't think teams are as worried about the expansion draft as we envision. I think if you have playoff or Stanley Cup aspirations, you don't worry about the expansion draft till the trade deadline at the earliest. Also I believe Callahan had off season surgery so I don't think he can be bought out as he is injured.

Salary cap is a whole other story. They are going to be in big trouble next year when Hedman needs $7m.

On Bishop all Tampa has to do is not sign an extension with him until after the expansion draft.  I think they will try to move him, but I don't think they have to.  

On the others, that is a big enough list that they don't have to worry about it today.  They can make trades post season if they want.  They are also a cup contender and can risk losing a decent player to the expansion draft if that is what it takes to take a run to the cup.  It is no different then holding on to a pending free agent or acquiring a deadline rental.  When you are in their space the priority is the cup, not protecting your assets.  

Yes they can do that, if he isn't claimed and signed.  LV would give him $7m x 7 easily.

They have 10f, 7d and 2g while sitting at $63.6m.  Not a lot of space to sign everyone before the season starts.  They can leave them unsigned and use a few players from the AHL to fill up the roster, but do they really want to start the season that way?  Killorn and Kucherov alone put them over.

I know I am overthinking things, but wouldn't GM's be doing "what if" scenarios to plan roster moves and re-signings?  Their risk guys would be telling them stuff like that.

Yes they can do that, if he isn't claimed and signed.  LV would give him $7m x 7 easily.

They have 10f, 7d and 2g while sitting at $63.6m.  Not a lot of space to sign everyone before the season starts.  They can leave them unsigned and use a few players from the AHL to fill up the roster, but do they really want to start the season that way?  Killorn and Kucherov alone put them over.

I know I am overthinking things, but wouldn't GM's be doing "what if" scenarios to plan roster moves and re-signings?  Their risk guys would be telling them stuff like that.

I think the cap crunch is a legitimate concern in Tampa.  I think there will be some movement following the Tampa signing.  I just don't think the expansion draft even registers a little bit into their thinking right now as they have plenty of options and are way more interested in winning a cup then protecting their 8 best forward or 4 best D.  

I don't think the cap crunch is as big a deal for Tampa as we think either. Ya it's tight but they've got a lot of options and they've drafted well so they can make trades and have cheaper replacements available in their system. They can move bishop, buyout Carle, Callahan or Filippula and clear a lot of space to sign they want.

Means making touch decisions but doesn't mean letting arguable their best forward go in Kucherov. I don't think they'd let him go unless you gave up a bunch. Probably Tkachuk and next years first to start.

With Dallas seemingly hot and heavy for Bishop, I wonder if a trade could be worked out for, say Niemi as our back-up and Nichuskin as the sweetener, in return for, I don't know..... Bouma?

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/748571835562811392

Sounds like Landeskog is hitting the rumor mill. I would love to have Landeskog on this team. He plays the game the right way. Not sure we have or are willing to give up what it would take to get him. 

I wonder if there is a deal to be made for Landeskog and Barrie involving Hamilton and another piece. 

https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/status/748571835562811392

Sounds like Landeskog is hitting the rumor mill. I would love to have Landeskog on this team. He plays the game the right way. Not sure we have or are willing to give up what it would take to get him. 

I wonder if there is a deal to be made for Landeskog and Barrie involving Hamilton and another piece. 

Landeskog would be expensive enough without adding in Barrie.  Not sure we have anything we could trade that makes sense.

Landeskog would be expensive enough without adding in Barrie.  Not sure we have anything we could trade that makes sense.

I think if NJ can get Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson we should be able get a significantly larger haul for Hamilton.

I think if NJ can get Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson we should be able get a significantly larger haul for Hamilton.

Sorry, but Hammy is not someone I consider dealing.  22 years old.  

• Like 1