The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

While I would love to Landeskog I think it would be tough for me to see a workable deal to get both he and Barrie without giving up a top young player or prospect. I don't think Barrie's value is much far behind Hamiltons and Avs have already gone on the record to say he is staying. 

I'm fine discussing trading Hamiton but has to be a D coming back in return. You take Hamilton out of this D core and I think it looks pretty scary for the next few years. 

Sorry, but Hammy is not someone I consider dealing.  22 years old.  

He isn't someone I look to trade, but if a team like Colorado comes calling offering Landeskog+ I am willing to listen.

If they do move Landeskog, I think it will be to Anaheim. The Ducks are looking for a top LW and they have Fowler that Colorado would covet.

He isn't someone I look to trade, but if a team like Colorado comes calling offering Landeskog+ I am willing to listen.

I would trade Backlund + prospects + picks as required.  Don't need a 3rd line center in a few years.  He would help the Avs immensely.

Gabe would be a great add to the top or 2nd line.  I would live with the short-term pain of losing Backlund.  Hasn't Frolik also played as a center during his career?  

Now that I think of it I wouldn't target Landeskogg. Wait 2-3 years and Tkachuk will be as good or likely better IMO. Save the assets.

Especially considering I think there's a good chance they would ask for Tkachuk anyway

I know what the answer is, but it is interesting for discussion anyway. Buffalo apparently wants to move Kane. Given his injury history, lack of production, reported attitude, and current legal issues they won't get much for him.

You anyone trade Wideman for Kane straight up? 24 and he checks a lot of boxes. Salary for this season is almost a wash with Wideman and there is only one more season after this one.

That said, there is a lot of baggage and a lot of reasons why this kid isn't going to turn it around.

I know what the answer is, but it is interesting for discussion anyway. Buffalo apparently wants to move Kane. Given his injury history, lack of production, reported attitude, and current legal issues they won't get much for him.

You anyone trade Wideman for Kane straight up? 24 and he checks a lot of boxes. Salary for this season is almost a wash with Wideman and there is only one more season after this one.

That said, there is a lot of baggage and a lot of reasons why this kid isn't going to turn it around.

Anything to get rid of Wideman, my answer is yes.

Now that I think of it I wouldn't target Landeskogg. Wait 2-3 years and Tkachuk will be as good or likely better IMO. Save the assets.

Especially considering I think there's a good chance they would ask for Tkachuk anyway

I am not sure I agree with that line of thinking. Tkachuk is still an unknown and Landeskog would be a great fit on the roster. Normally I would say he is out of our price range, but given what Hall and Subban just went for who knows anymore.

An aside, whet is with Colorado. That team is always jettisoning their young guys once they ready their prime. If this is true then I am really glad I am not a Colorado fan.

Only if that "+" is Barrie and its 2 for 1, then i'd have to think about it

Not a chance.

Wideman is gone in 1 year You are stuck with Evander Kane and the headache he has become for 2 years or face a buyout becuase if he flunks here no one is trading for him. 

Personally I see no reason why he is going to turn it around. Winnipeg tried to wake up him, not Buffalo has and he's gotten worse not better. The risks far outweight the talent IMO. I would rather stick Wideman in the AHL and never let him play then acquire Kane. 

I get that their salaries are a near match, but Kane has an extra year on his contract.

I think that the Flames need the Cap Space sooner, rather than later.

He's a LW that would be on Calgary's 2nd line at best.

As his career average is only 18g, 36p, that makes his $5.25M AAV, $6M Actual Salary a large over-payment.

That combined with his history of "problems"; I want nothing to do with Evander Kane. 

Not a chance.

Wideman is gone in 1 year You are stuck with Evander Kane and the headache he has become for 2 years or face a buyout becuase if he flunks here no one is trading for him.

Personally I see no reason why he is going to turn it around. Winnipeg tried to wake up him, not Buffalo has and he's gotten worse not better. The risks far outweight the talent IMO. I would rather stick Wideman in the AHL and never let him play then acquire Kane.

You can't put Wideman in the AHL due to the NMC, but I get your point. I said in the post I already knew the answer and I agree with you. Your transferring one smallish problem for a much worse problem banking on the small chance this guy can turn it around.

I would rather take a shot on Vanek or Stewart for a reclamation project then trying to turn Kane around.

Why trade for Landeskog when we can just sign Ladd via UFA? Pretty close comparable players.

Landeskog is 23 just entering the prime of his career, Ladd is going on 31 and is on the downside of his career. Ladd will probably get more term and dollars than I would be willing to spend.

I live in Wpg. & had high hopes for E Kane when Atlanta transferred here. I even made excuses for his shortcomings & hoped he could turn things around in Buffalo.

Since the trade he's been getting in legal trouble rather than just being grist for the rumor mill due to childish tweets & an overblown sense of entitlement.

He could be a great player if he ever grew up & took his training, the NHL game & the fact that NHL players are held to a higher standard than your average person due to media coverage seriously. After 7 years of being paid high NHL wages he doesn't seem to realize how lucky he's been to be blessed with skill others covet but rather squanders it because he remains a child emotionally.

In hindsight when the big $s stop (it sounds like he squandered those along with his talent) & he has to get a regular job he might realize what he wasted.

For now I'd prefer to keep him clear of both the Flames & City of Calgary. Only way I'd want him is if he was a throw-in that got us Ristlainen (like there's even a chance of that :lol: ) & even then I'd tell him not to report as we finalized the paperwork to buy him out.

If too late in the year to buy him out loan him to a team in Alaska & eat the cap.

****************************************************************************************

Seriously, Buffalo can buy him out for $4 million with a $0.250 cap hit the 1st 2 years & $1 million for each of the last 2. Spending the $s (with little cap penalty) rather than give assets to dump a headache is their best bet.

I live in Wpg. & had high hopes for E Kane when Atlanta transferred here. I even made excuses for his shortcomings & hoped he could turn things around in Buffalo.

Since the trade he's been getting in legal trouble rather than just being grist for the rumor mill due to childish tweets & an overblown sense of entitlement.

He could be a great player if he ever grew up & took his training, the NHL game & the fact that NHL players are held to a higher standard than your average person due to media coverage seriously. After 7 years of being paid high NHL wages he doesn't seem to realize how lucky he's been to be blessed with skill others covet but rather squanders it because he remains a child emotionally.

In hindsight when the big $s stop (it sounds like he squandered those along with his talent) & he has to get a regular job he might realize what he wasted.

For now I'd prefer to keep him clear of both the Flames & City of Calgary. Only way I'd want him is if he was a throw-in that got us Ristlainen (like there's even a chance of that :lol: ) & even then I'd tell him not to report as we finalized the paperwork to buy him out.

If too late in the year to buy him out loan him to a team in Alaska & eat the cap.

****************************************************************************************

Seriously, Buffalo can buy him out for $4 million with a $0.250 cap hit the 1st 2 years & $1 million for each of the last 2. Spending the $s (with little cap penalty) rather than give assets to dump a headache is their best bet.

I just don't get players with such attitude problems. They are paid so incredibly well to do something they supposedly enjoy. I don't understand Kane and I never understood Ray Emery.

I am not sure I agree with that line of thinking. Tkachuk is still an unknown and Landeskog would be a great fit on the roster. Normally I would say he is out of our price range, but given what Hall and Subban just went for who knows anymore.

An aside, whet is with Colorado. That team is always jettisoning their young guys once they ready their prime. If this is true then I am really glad I am not a Colorado fan.

Don't want to make it seem like I would always do that but in this case I just have a lot of faith in Tkachuk. IMO he is a better prospect at the same age them Landeskog and carries a lot of te intangibles too. When you combine that with the fact that Tkachuk could be very cap friendly for a few years, that isn't a deal I would make. Doesn't make sense to me to give il so many assets when you arnt even filling a major hole. Landeskogg is another left shot LW.

In hindsight when the big $s stop (it sounds like he squandered those along with his talent) & he has to get a regular job he might

realize what he wasted.

I concur, send him packing with a message that any team that considers him is a fool! Times up, bye, bye Evander, good luck in the real world. Signed NHL.

Yeah NO THANKS the league should buy him out and kick him out, goodbye to bad rubbish.

• Like 1

Rakell is still unsigned by the Ducks.  I wonder if there's a Backlund for Rakell deal to be made somehow.  RHS C that i think can convert to RW.  Young and trending into a 30-goal scorer but might not get the opportunity playing behind Getzlaf and Kesler on the depth chart and the Ducks are already committed to Perry and Silfverberg on RW.

This kid is the real deal.

Ducks are a rare team that could use a LW but is a budget team that likes young players, so maybe Shinkaruk + Backlund.  Flames need a RHS C and Rakell could also be that elusive first line RW as well.

Rakell is still unsigned by the Ducks.  I wonder if there's a Backlund for Rakell deal to be made somehow.  RHS C that i think can convert to RW.  Young and trending into a 30-goal scorer but might not get the opportunity playing behind Getzlaf and Kesler on the depth chart and the Ducks are already committed to Perry and Silfverberg on RW.

Ducks are a rare team that could use a LW but is a budget team that likes young players, so maybe Shinkaruk + Backlund.  Flames need a RHS C and Rakell could also be that elusive first line RW as well.

I really wouldn't be trading Backlund right now, we need him and a line to keep some scoring off the sheets. You have to resist jumping at every player you think will be better than what you have. We are building the right way and we have answers developing now within our system, give it chance.

The unknown is his cost to re-sign.  The Ducks have 8 forwards signed right now.  They have needs bigger than a Backlund.  Maybe they would take Smid's LTIR salary (wishful thinking) + Poirier + Bouma.  Or Stajan with some salary retained to play on LW.

And yes, I do think we are truly lacking with RHS C's.  I think Rakell has some skills.

I wonder if there is any appetite to do a Dennis Wideman for Alexei Emelin trade. Emelin provides some size and a physical presence to our top 4, adds a left shot to the top 4. Having him paired with Hamilton, lets Hamilton roam a bit more as Emelin is a stay at home guy. Saves about $1m on the cap this year.

The down side is that Emelin has another year after this year. He doesn't provide any offense, but he is better defensively.

After Weber and Markov Montreal doesn't really have much in the way of offense from the back end.

I wonder if there is any appetite to do a Dennis Wideman for Alexei Emelin trade. Emelin provides some size and a physical presence to our top 4, adds a left shot to the top 4. Having him paired with Hamilton, lets Hamilton roam a bit more as Emelin is a stay at home guy. Saves about $1m on the cap this year.

The down side is that Emelin has another year after this year. He doesn't provide any offense, but he is better defensively.

After Weber and Markov Montreal doesn't really have much in the way of offense from the back end.

How about both Wideman and Stajan with some salary retained if necessary to NJD for Fiddler C (1 year remaining at 1.75M) and Beau Bennett RW 750K. These two players could figure into our 4th line.