The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

How about both Wideman and Stajan with some salary retained if necessary to NJD for Fiddler C (1 year remaining at 1.75M) and Beau Bennett RW 750K. These two players could figure into our 4th line.

Both Fiddler and Bennett just signed within this last week, I highly doubt NJ turns around and trades them.

Both Fiddler and Bennett just signed within this last week, I highly doubt NJ turns around and trades them.

NJ is light on defense now.  They could use one of Wideman or Engelland.  Maybe both.  The return is not super important.  Maybe a prospect or two.

NJ is light on defense now. They could use one of Wideman or Engelland. Maybe both. The return is not super important. Maybe a prospect or two.

Fair enough. One hold up with Wideman is the fact that his salary his higher than his cap hit making him less attractive to budget teams like NJ.

Fair enough. One hold up with Wideman is the fact that his salary his higher than his cap hit making him less attractive to budget teams like NJ.

Retained salary solves that problem.  UFA's could come in more expensive.  Just think, they could have Russell and Wideman.

I just don't get players with such attitude problems. They are paid so incredibly well to do something they supposedly enjoy. I don't understand Kane and I never understood Ray Emery.

Kane would rather abuse alcohol and do stupid things then have a dominant career? I don't get it? He can't stay out of trouble.

I'm getting the same feeling as cross that BT may be done trying to deal players like Wideman and Stajan. He might see them and a few others as more tradeable at the TDL to load up on picks again.

I wonder if there is any appetite to do a Dennis Wideman for Alexei Emelin trade. Emelin provides some size and a physical presence to our top 4, adds a left shot to the top 4. Having him paired with Hamilton, lets Hamilton roam a bit more as Emelin is a stay at home guy. Saves about $1m on the cap this year.

The down side is that Emelin has another year after this year. He doesn't provide any offense, but he is better defensively.

After Weber and Markov Montreal doesn't really have much in the way of offense from the back end.

As soon as the Oilers signed Lucic I was thinking if we could get Emelin as they've got a great rivalry brewing. Would be great for us to land a hard hitting stay at home type like Emelin but maybe Jokipakka can be that guy.

I really wouldn't be trading Backlund right now, we need him and a line to keep some scoring off the sheets. You have to resist jumping at every player you think will be better than what you have. We are building the right way and we have answers developing now within our system, give it chance.

We have answers for a RHS C/RW who can pop in 20 goals within the next 2 years?

The unknown is his cost to re-sign. The Ducks have 8 forwards signed right now. They have needs bigger than a Backlund. Maybe they would take Smid's LTIR salary (wishful thinking) + Poirier + Bouma. Or Stajan with some salary retained to play on LW.

And yes, I do think we are truly lacking with RHS C's. I think Rakell has some skills.

I'm guessing $3.75-mil just like Silfverberg. Basically Backlund's pay.

As soon as the Oilers signed Lucic I was thinking if we could get Emelin as they've got a great rivalry brewing. Would be great for us to land a hard hitting stay at home type like Emelin but maybe Jokipakka can be that guy.

We have answers for a RHS C/RW who can pop in 20 goals within the next 2 years?

I'm guessing $3.75-mil just like Silfverberg. Basically Backlund's pay.

I'm not sure why Anaheim would trade a C for a C.  Yes, they get a LW prospect out of it.

Since they will probably let Horcoff go, maybe they would take Stajan at  50%.  Add in a LW prospect like Poirier or Klimchuk who is exempt.  Klimchuk is even waiver exempt.  Maybe even add in Bouma.

The upside to this is that it sets the team up with at least one RHS C, and it puts a succession plan in place for Backlund, should we need to move him.  Also gives time to develop another C in Janko or someone else.

Anaheim needs forwards still.  Boll is just a Bollig type player, so they need to replace some of the guys they are losing and still maintain an internal cap.

I'm not sure why Anaheim would trade a C for a C.  Yes, they get a LW prospect out of it.

Since they will probably let Horcoff go, maybe they would take Stajan at  50%.  Add in a LW prospect like Poirier or Klimchuk who is exempt.  Klimchuk is even waiver exempt.  Maybe even add in Bouma.

The upside to this is that it sets the team up with at least one RHS C, and it puts a succession plan in place for Backlund, should we need to move him.  Also gives time to develop another C in Janko or someone else.

Anaheim needs forwards still.  Boll is just a Bollig type player, so they need to replace some of the guys they are losing and still maintain an internal cap.

Backlund is an upgrade to Cogliano who they've used in that 3rd line C shutdown role but Cogliano has also played LW for them. A Backlund and Cogliano duo in their 3rd line can be an upgrade to what the need. I see Rakell as an emerging top 6 but the Ducks don't exactly have room for him at C or RW.

Backlund is not great in faceoffs but he gives them a LHS C as an option. Getzlaf and Kesler are RHS C who are both really good at faceoffs.

Backlund is an upgrade to Cogliano who they've used in that 3rd line C shutdown role but Cogliano has also played LW for them. A Backlund and Cogliano duo in their 3rd line can be an upgrade to what the need. I see Rakell as an emerging top 6 but the Ducks don't exactly have room for him at C or RW.

Backlund is not great in faceoffs but he gives them a LHS C as an option. Getzlaf and Kesler are RHS C who are both really good at faceoffs.

Stajan has better FO stats than Backlund, and gives them an expendable player for the draft.  If they took Backlund, they would want to protect him.  And they would get Stajan for 1/2 the price of Backlund.

Maybe it's a crazy proposal, but at least they get a prospect winger that is exempt.  As it is, they have 3F and 1D already protected.  They have to figure out to go with 8 skaters or 7F and lose one of Despres, Fowler, Lindholm, Vatanen or Manson.   

What would you think about B. Schenn for Backlund straight up?

Schenn is an RFA that needs a new deal.  Suspect it will cost north of $4m to resign him.  Would need to clear some salary too, but it may be a fair trade by itself.

Schenn is an RFA that needs a new deal.  Suspect it will cost north of $4m to resign him.  Would need to clear some salary too, but it may be a fair trade by itself.

I don't believe Schenn has the defensive skill of Backlund.. in many ways I think it would be a step backwards. I do like Schenn, wanted him here for a long time,  just not for Backlund

I'd think it unlikely. He worked out pretty well on Giroux's wing last year & the Flyers are kind of short on LW.

I don't believe Schenn has the defensive skill of Backlund.. in many ways I think it would be a step backwards. I do like Schenn, wanted him here for a long time,  just not for Backlund

I'd venture to say that Brayden is better than Backlund defensively.

But what would I know as I only watch the majority of Flyers games & most Flames games. :)

• Like 1

I'd think it unlikely. He worked out pretty well on Giroux's wing last year & the Flyers are kind of short on LW.

But what would I know as I only watch the majority of Flyers games & most Flames games. :)

From what I understand (rumors, really), the Flyers and Schenn are far apart in their negotiations.  At least with a Backlund, you have a known quantity.  Would be able to play on the wing.  I would have suggested Bouma and something, but didn't want to make you laugh too hard.

The stats suggest otherwise. Schenn doesn't even kill penalties. Schenn is definitely more physical but I don't think he is better defensively. Backlund had a +13 takeaway/giveaway ratio, where as Schenn is a -5. The advanced stats also say the Schenn isn't great at shot suppression. Schenn is more physical and better offensively, but Backlund is better defensively and plays a premium position. I would keep Backlund, especially considering Schenn is most likely going to get $5m+ on his next contract.

Story_1_2.png

• Like 2

Backlund isn't flashy so he doesn't often get the credit he deserves. Even by those that watch him every game.

But he makes everyone of his line mates better. His lines always out chance the competition even when they start in the defensive zone against the heavy hitters. Plus a 0.5 ppg average is nothing to sneeze at when playing in a defensive role.

Backlund isn't flashy so he doesn't often get the credit he deserves. Even by those that watch him every game.

But he makes everyone of his line mates better. His lines always out chance the competition even when they start in the defensive zone against the heavy hitters. Plus a 0.5 ppg average is nothing to sneeze at when playing in a defensive role.

Gotta give up quality to get it sometimes.  Can't always rely on Jim Benning to be there for us.

If Philly was willing to take Bouma and Smid (LTIR dump), or Wideman or Stajan, I would be all over that.  Schenn is a good LW, regardless.  Would be nice to bring him in as a winger for Bennett or Backlund.  Maybe even try him on Monahan's line.  

From what I understand (rumors, really), the Flyers and Schenn are far apart in their negotiations.  At least with a Backlund, you have a known quantity.  Would be able to play on the wing.  I would have suggested Bouma and something, but didn't want to make you laugh too hard.

There are rumors along the same line about Gaudreau & Monahan. Most come from bloggers trying to get hits.

Just because RFAs aren't signed during UFA Frenzy it doesn't give those rumors credence.

For instance, Scheifele & McKinnon were signed yesterday.

1st OA pick Matthews isn't signed yet while most in the top 5-6 are & there are already talks Lamirello's stance on bonuses might see him play in Euro for a year or 2 until that changes, his rights are traded or he becomes a UFA after the required years.

The stats suggest otherwise. Schenn doesn't even kill penalties. Schenn is definitely more physical but I don't think he is better defensively. Backlund had a +13 takeaway/giveaway ratio, where as Schenn is a -5. The advanced stats also say the Schenn isn't great at shot suppression. Schenn is more physical and better offensively, but Backlund is better defensively and plays a premium position. I would keep Backlund, especially considering Schenn is most likely going to get $5m+ on his next contract.

Story_1_2.png

Not into fancy stats. I use the eyeball test & have seen the guy I used to call "trade bait" become better every year.

Gotta give up quality to get it sometimes.  Can't always rely on Jim Benning to be there for us.

If Philly was willing to take Bouma and Smid (LTIR dump), or Wideman or Stajan, I would be all over that.  Schenn is a good LW, regardless.  Would be nice to bring him in as a winger for Bennett or Backlund.  Maybe even try him on Monahan's line.  

Yeah right!

Hex spent his tenure getting rid of Homer's bad contracts so he's eager to take some on.

You were right in your other post. You made me :lol: .

There are rumors along the same line about Gaudreau & Monahan. Most come from bloggers trying to get hits.

Just because RFAs aren't signed during UFA Frenzy it doesn't give those rumors credence.

1st OA pick Matthews isn't signed yet while most in the top 5-6 are & there are already talks Lamirello's stance on bonuses might see him play in Euro for a year or 2 until that changes, his rights are traded or he becomes a UFA after the required years.

Not into fancy stats. I use the eyeball test & have seen the guy I used to call "trade bait" become better every year.

Yeah right!

Hex spent his tenure getting rid of Homer's bad contracts so he's eager to take some on.

I have no doubt Schenn is getting better, he just isn't better than Backlund defensively.

• Like 1

Yeah right!

Just keeping it light in the dog days of summer.   :D  ;)

The smid dump was to give them some LTIR breathing room, but really offers no other value.  If we had something Philly wanted, I would be interested.  The only way they trade him (I assume) is if they get to arbitration and they don't like the odds of the arbitrator seeing it their way.  I doubt there is much we have to offer them anyway.  

Just keeping it light in the dog days of summer.   :D  ;)

The smid dump was to give them some LTIR breathing room, but really offers no other value.  If we had something Philly wanted, I would be interested.  The only way they trade him (I assume) is if they get to arbitration and they don't like the odds of the arbitrator seeing it their way.  I doubt there is much we have to offer them anyway.  

Should we be keeping our eye on TBL, it seems the possible cap limit is getting tight ?

Should we be keeping our eye on TBL, it seems the possible cap limit is getting tight ?

Coburn might be a reasonable target to play next to Hamilton. Should be cheap to acquire. He would be exposed in the expansion draft but there is a good chance he gets through and if he got picked up it isn't the end of the world.

Coburn might be a reasonable target to play next to Hamilton. Should be cheap to acquire. He would be exposed in the expansion draft but there is a good chance he gets through and if he got picked up it isn't the end of the world.

You would have to think that TBL are thinking about trade or buyout (believe they will have the 2nd one available to them).  Their woes xtend into next season when the Johnson's and Palat's and Drouin's expire.  Kucherov is going to cost them a lot. Namestnikov and Nesterov, not as much.  Would love to target one of the Russians.

They are getting up against it, but Tampa is still in very good cap shape. Have 8.5 left and I think that is enough to get the rest of their roster signed and into next season. If they had to, they could also move Brian Boyle who I think would have a market and they coudl replace internally and that would give them some cap cushion. Next year they've got the option to move Filpulla or Garrison to save cap space.

They are in good shape. I don't doubt they will make deals but unforautnely I think the players they can move are the players the Flames don't likely want. I personally don't have intrest in guys like Coborn, Garrison, Filpulla etc. 

Palat or Johnson may have to go on the block next summer but they have that option and at that point I think their salaries would make it a tough fit for the Flames. 

• Like 1

They are getting up against it, but Tampa is still in very good cap shape. Have 8.5 left and I think that is enough to get the rest of their roster signed and into next season. If they had to, they could also move Brian Boyle who I think would have a market and they coudl replace internally and that would give them some cap cushion. Next year they've got the option to move Filpulla or Garrison to save cap space.

They are in good shape. I don't doubt they will make deals but unforautnely I think the players they can move are the players the Flames don't likely want. I personally don't have intrest in guys like Coborn, Garrison, Filpulla etc. 

Palat or Johnson may have to go on the block next summer but they have that option and at that point I think their salaries would make it a tough fit for the Flames. 

I agree about them having options.  I tend to think they are tighter than you think.  They have $8.5m to re-sign Kucherov and the other two.  Kucherov is likely to want around the same as Barkov, not Killorn.  That alone makes it tight.