The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I agree about them having options.  I tend to think they are tighter than you think.  They have $8.5m to re-sign Kucherov and the other two.  Kucherov is likely to want around the same as Barkov, not Killorn.  That alone makes it tight.

I think Kucherov, if they go term on him which they may not do, gets around 6.5. The other 2 combined are probably going to get less than 2 mill so they fall just under the cap and like I said, if they move Boyle problem solved.

My point was yes they are tight, but they are tight enough to the point where they have to ship out good players or make trades they don't. They have options to gain space that won't really hurt their team. I think they can afford to lose guys like Boyle, or Filpulla and still be a great team. 

I think Kucherov, if they go term on him which they may not do, gets around 6.5. The other 2 combined are probably going to get less than 2 mill so they fall just under the cap and like I said, if they move Boyle problem solved.

My point was yes they are tight, but they are tight enough to the point where they have to ship out good players or make trades they don't. They have options to gain space that won't really hurt their team. I think they can afford to lose guys like Boyle, or Filpulla and still be a great team. 

They have an enviable group of players surrounding a superstar.  I only wish they would look down the road and try to solve thier cap problems now. :)

The bigger problem is having too much talent that has to be protected.  Fillipula, Stamkos and Callahan are auto-protected, so it leaves only space for 4 players amount that talent.  They could possibly trade one of the three, but not a given.

I know it's just Eklund, but he posted that Calgary was going after Hoffman.  If this was a real rumor, I for one would be in favor of this.  I have no idea what we have to offer, but Hoffman is a pretty consistent goal scorer.  He hasn't been properly recognized in Ottawa, and is going to likely end up in arbitration again.  I don't know why Ottawa has such a problem with paying this guy.  

If there is any traction to this, do you have any idea of what we could realistically offer?  Obviously none of our scraps.  

I know it's just Eklund, but he posted that Calgary was going after Hoffman.  If this was a real rumor, I for one would be in favor of this.  I have no idea what we have to offer, but Hoffman is a pretty consistent goal scorer.  He hasn't been properly recognized in Ottawa, and is going to likely end up in arbitration again.  I don't know why Ottawa has such a problem with paying this guy.  

If there is any traction to this, do you have any idea of what we could realistically offer?  Obviously none of our scraps.  

You would have to start with Backlund and add from there. If they would do it we should do it. Hoffman would be the answer on RW.

Because it's probably going to be very expensive. With being 1 year away from UFA Hoffman is probably looking for a contract in the 5 million plus range on some term. Winger, not a big guy, not a great 2 way player, he doesn't exactly scream 5 mill plus to me.

I'd pass personally. I think his value is too inflated right now and Flames dont' need a LW making his type of coin. 

Because it's probably going to be very expensive. With being 1 year away from UFA Hoffman is probably looking for a contract in the 5 million plus range on some term. Winger, not a big guy, not a great 2 way player, he doesn't exactly scream 5 mill plus to me.

I'd pass personally. I think his value is too inflated right now and Flames dont' need a LW making his type of coin. 

I thought he was a center.  He was one of the leading players in 2014/15 (think he was a rookie then).  A little older, but looked to be a good player.  

I thought he was a center.  He was one of the leading players in 2014/15 (think he was a rookie then).  A little older, but looked to be a good player.  

I know hockey DB lists him there, but in the NHL he's been on the wing and mostly LW from what i've seen.

I know hockey DB lists him there, but in the NHL he's been on the wing and mostly LW from what i've seen.

I think I was mixing him up with someone else.  

I really like Hoffman, he has great speed and one of the best releases in the league. I see him as being very similar to Phil Kessel, just minus the baggage, superstar name, superstar contract, superstar expectations, and the Kessel media storm. Hoffman has put up seasons of 27 and 29 goals in his first 2 full seasons in the NHL. His advanced stats are solid. 

He isn't big or physical. He is a LW. 

I think if you have a chance to acquire talent you acquire talent and worry about the lineup afterwards. I think with Gaudreau you can line him up at either wing and he will produce and create offense. Gaudreau buzzes all over the ice.

• Like 1

I really like Hoffman, he has great speed and one of the best releases in the league. I see him as being very similar to Phil Kessel, just minus the baggage, superstar name, superstar contract, superstar expectations, and the Kessel media storm. Hoffman has put up seasons of 27 and 29 goals in his first 2 full seasons in the NHL. His advanced stats are solid.

I think if you have a chance to acquire talent you acquire talent and worry about the lineup afterwards. I think with Gaudreau you can line him up at either wing and he will produce and create offense. Gaudreau buzzes all over the ice.

I would agree if you are acquiring younger talent or a reclamation project. But when you are going to be paying likely a high acquisition cost and a hefty contract I think there needs to be a direct need. I don't think it's there to warrant paying Hoffman what he is likely to get.

I know it's a small sample size but Gaudrea hasn't looked very good or comfortable whenever they've tried him on the RW. I think that's too much of a risk when you factor in the acquisition cost and likely salary.

I would agree if you are acquiring younger talent or a reclamation project. But when you are going to be paying likely a high acquisition cost and a hefty contract I think there needs to be a direct need. I don't think it's there to warrant paying Hoffman what he is likely to get.

I know it's a small sample size but Gaudrea hasn't looked very good or comfortable whenever they've tried him on the RW. I think that's too much of a risk when you factor in the acquisition cost and likely salary.

The player has been undervalued in previous years.  I can't see Ottawa willing to pay close to what an arbitrator will award.  I don't think they value the player.  Arbitration two years in a row is a big red flag.

Maybe Hoffman would be awesome playing his off wing on the top line.  Maybe not.  Maybe he fits Bennett's LW.  Maybe not.  If the cost was not through the roof, then it would be silly not to consider it.  I don't think his contract is going to be more than some of the recent signings like Kreider pr Johansson or Killorn.

Any idea what Hoffman has asked for or where the impasse is between the team and him. This is a player they should be wanting to keep IMO. The player we might want to ask about is Curtis Lazar, good player seems lost there.

BTW, sorry to start a long discussion based on an Eklund post.  I thought there may be some substance to it, based on BT talking with Ottawa's GM at the draft and the fact that Ottawa has been messing with players for years.  The owner seems to stick his nose in a lot. The draft conversations seemed to be a bit long for a Chiasson deal.

The player has been undervalued in previous years. I can't see Ottawa willing to pay close to what an arbitrator will award. I don't think they value the player. Arbitration two years in a row is a big red flag.

Maybe Hoffman would be awesome playing his off wing on the top line. Maybe not. Maybe he fits Bennett's LW. Maybe not. If the cost was not through the roof, then it would be silly not to consider it. I don't think his contract is going to be more than some of the recent signings like Kreider pr Johansson or Killorn.

I think that's wishful thinking. Hoffman has much better numbers than all 3 of those guys so why is he going to sign for the same, especially given he is closer to UFA than most of them. Also remember they just trade one of their good young LWers in Zibanjed. Why trade him and ten give Hoffman away?

Acquisition cost aside i just don't think it's smart for the flames to be acquiring another 5 million play winger. They'd be in a real cap hell next season IMO or have I really cheap out on D which isn't smart.

I think that's wishful thinking. Hoffman has much better numbers than all 3 of those guys so why is he going to sign for the same, especially given he is closer to UFA than most of them. Also remember they just trade one of their good young LWers in Zibanjed. Why trade him and ten give Hoffman away?

Acquisition cost aside i just don't think it's smart for the flames to be acquiring another 5 million play winger. They'd be in a real cap hell next season IMO or have I really cheap out on D which isn't smart.

I agree and I think you have to take into consideration what is coming within your own system. Hoffman obviously is not looking for a 1 year deal and plays LW a position we have a quality supply of now. BT spent the significant "add" money on Brouwer for fortifying our RW. Chiasson has a great opportunity here and I hope he makes the best of it, if he doesn't that contract is easy enough to walk away from and try Pribyl or Poirier.

I still wouldn't mind seeing if we could get Joel Armia RW from WPG for our 4th line. Hathaway comes up short in hockey talent IMO lots of energy but it seems to end there. It would be great to have 4 lines of potential scoring rather than one we send out for a buzz every now and then.

I still wouldn't mind seeing if we could get Joel Armia RW from WPG for our 4th line. Hathaway comes up short in hockey talent IMO lots of energy but it seems to end there. It would be great to have 4 lines of potential scoring rather than one we send out for a buzz every now and then.

What I like about Hathaway is that he draws penalties. He drew 3 or 4 in one game. If we had our elbowing together on the PP that could've been 1 or 2 goals worth of pp time. That's his game and I think there's still at least a need in that. If he's not hurting you defensively, he gives the skilled players a chance to rest up and then head out on the PP. 

What I like about Hathaway is that he draws penalties. He drew 3 or 4 in one game. If we had our elbowing together on the PP that could've been 1 or 2 goals worth of pp time. That's his game and I think there's still at least a need in that. If he's not hurting you defensively, he gives the skilled players a chance to rest up and then head out on the PP. 

Hathaway had a good showing in his limited play last year.  Can he play a full season on adreneline?  Jooris was much less noticeable, but was able to play most of two seasons.  I don't mind a callup like Hathaway, but I don't think he is a full-time NHL player.  He hasn't shown that yet.

Hathaway had a good showing in his limited play last year. Can he play a full season on adreneline? Jooris was much less noticeable, but was able to play most of two seasons. I don't mind a callup like Hathaway, but I don't think he is a full-time NHL player. He hasn't shown that yet.

Is he too young to be the type that is the extra? In when you need him to be?

Is he too young to be the type that is the extra? In when you need him to be?

Sure he could be a 14th.  Bollig as 13th.  Maybe that's a good use of a player.  Or not.  Maybe he improves a bit playing more games in the AHL.  I see him more as an injury replacement for 4th line RW, not sitting in the pressbox.  Don't know.  He is a low cost guy to sit in the box, if that is the choice.

Hathaway had a good showing in his limited play last year. Can he play a full season on adreneline? Jooris was much less noticeable, but was able to play most of two seasons. I don't mind a callup like Hathaway, but I don't think he is a full-time NHL player. He hasn't shown that yet.

Agreed. I am always a bit reluctant to put too much faith in low skill guys like Hathaway and Jooris. It's tough to maintain thst level of energy over a full season.

I know it's been talked about a bit, but I wouldn't be upset if the flames targeted Drouin.  Tampa has a lot of skilled players combined with a couple anchor contracts that make them vulnerable in expansion next year.  Combine that with the cap issues (Kucherov will likely eat up close to 7-7.5 million per, which puts them over the cap with Nesterov still unsigned) and they have a need to shed a good player for futures to make ends meet in the next two years (or even right now).  Maybe offer up a conditional first (this year or next) plus a player like Mangiapane?  Probably have to sweeten, but the key is to send back assets that won't count against the cap this year and won't be vulnerable to expansion next year.

I know it's been talked about a bit, but I wouldn't be upset if the flames targeted Drouin.  Tampa has a lot of skilled players combined with a couple anchor contracts that make them vulnerable in expansion next year.  Combine that with the cap issues (Kucherov will likely eat up close to 7-7.5 million per, which puts them over the cap with Nesterov still unsigned) and they have a need to shed a good player for futures to make ends meet in the next two years (or even right now).  Maybe offer up a conditional first (this year or next) plus a player like Mangiapane?  Probably have to sweeten, but the key is to send back assets that won't count against the cap this year and won't be vulnerable to expansion next year.

I don't think we need him now with Tkachuk in the fold, even if he isn't on the roster. I would rather see more of Shinkaruk and Poirier this season for us. We shouldn't be giving up 1st round picks IMO unless we have an extreme need like what Hamilton was in 2015.

I don't think we need him now with Tkachuk in the fold, even if he isn't on the roster. I would rather see more of Shinkaruk and Poirier this season for us. We shouldn't be giving up 1st round picks IMO unless we have an extreme need like what Hamilton was in 2015.

We may not need him the way we did Hamilton, but I have no qualms trading first round picks for young, high end talent, especially if that talent is as good or better than what we could hope to get in the draft.  I think Drouin would automatically become our second most valuable winger after Gaudreau, better than shink or Poirier by far.  Having too much high end talent is a good problem to have.  Our forward lines could look something like this:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Brouwer

Drouin-Bennett-Ferland

Shinkaruk-Backlund-Frolik

Bouma-Stajan-Chiasson

Bollig, Vey

This gives us four lines, each with some sandpaper and at least some scoring, with our top nine looking pretty dangerous.  If Tkachuk blows the doors off the barn maybe you trade a player like Ferland.