The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I know it's been talked about a bit, but I wouldn't be upset if the flames targeted Drouin.  Tampa has a lot of skilled players combined with a couple anchor contracts that make them vulnerable in expansion next year.  Combine that with the cap issues (Kucherov will likely eat up close to 7-7.5 million per, which puts them over the cap with Nesterov still unsigned) and they have a need to shed a good player for futures to make ends meet in the next two years (or even right now).  Maybe offer up a conditional first (this year or next) plus a player like Mangiapane?  Probably have to sweeten, but the key is to send back assets that won't count against the cap this year and won't be vulnerable to expansion next year.

Druoin is coming off ELC & after the snafu will probably be 1 of the lesser contracts to re-sign. To make cap room TB is likely to expose a larger contract.

As far as 7-7.5 per for Kucherov how can he or his agent even try to justify that when Stamkos just re-upped @ 8.5? If you want to help TB out of a cap situation he's the 1 to target (& it'd take a lot more than a conditional 1st & Mangiapane).

Druoin is coming off ELC & after the snafu will probably be 1 of the lesser contracts to re-sign. To make cap room TB is likely to expose a larger contract.

As far as 7-7.5 per for Kucherov how can he or his agent even try to justify that when Stamkos just re-upped @ 8.5? If you want to help TB out of a cap situation he's the 1 to target (& it'd take a lot more than a conditional 1st & Mangiapane).

Just because Stamkos took a huge hometown discount does not obligate Kucherov to do the same.  Kucherov is in the same realm as JG as far as point production, and arguably as important to the team.  I imagine they are pushing hard for Tarasenko money, just as JG is, and will (IMO) settle for something in the 7-7.5 realm.  This pushes them beyond the cap for this season with another rfa still to sign.  They need to shed salary and players, and if Drouin is not seen as a long term part of the team then now would be a good time to trade him with his value riding much higher after the playoffs.

Just because Stamkos took a huge hometown discount does not obligate Kucherov to do the same.  Kucherov is in the same realm as JG as far as point production, and arguably as important to the team.  I imagine they are pushing hard for Tarasenko money, just as JG is, and will (IMO) settle for something in the 7-7.5 realm.  This pushes them beyond the cap for this season with another rfa still to sign.  They need to shed salary and players, and if Drouin is not seen as a long term part of the team then now would be a good time to trade him with his value riding much higher after the playoffs.

Using Drouin as an example Stevie Y has proven he is more than willing to play hardball so if Kucherov uses Tarasenko as an = he might well find himself sitting by the phone when the season starts (after missing the World Cup unless he self insures).

Now that Drouin & Stevie have kissed & made up he's as likely to be part of the long range plans as not (either way the conditional 1st & Mangiapane is too low).

Lastly, if really stuck for cap space trading Bishop does that. He has a NMC but with 1 year left might want to check out fit in a new city ahead of going UFA (if re-signed being exposed in the expansion draft as TB sees Vasilevskly as "goalie for the long term future). There are still good backups available until 1 of the rookies wins the job.

Flames :

Dennis Wideman

retain 2.5 mil salary.

To

Oilers :

Nail Yakupov

2017 3nd round pick(2nd round if Flames must overpay)

Edit pick in wrong place.. Edit:

Flames :
Dennis Wideman
retain 2.5 mil salary.

Oilers :
Nail Yakupov

Flames :

Dennis Wideman

retain 2.5 mil salary.

To

Oilers :

Nail Yakupov

I think I used that one minus the 3rd rounder before.  Oiler fans hate the idea.  They don't even know that Wideman would score more points than their top scoring defender Sekera.  They used "the incident" as a reason to hate on the Flames and trash a player they knew nothing about.

• Like 1

I think I used that one minus the 3rd rounder before.  Oiler fans hate the idea.  They don't even know that Wideman would score more points than their top scoring defender Sekera.  They used "the incident" as a reason to hate on the Flames and trash a player they knew nothing about.

Well they both have 1 year left on their contracts. Low risk for both clubs.

Age difference between these two so I threw in the 3rd rounder because most of the articles I have seen for trading Yak said he is worth a 3rd only.

I think it was Mark Spectre who said he asked someone in Oiler management about acquiring Wideman. His answer was he costs too much. That is the reason why I said retain almost half Wideman's salary.

Wideman is almost exactly what the Oilers need. Specializes on PP, decent veteran presence on their young D core, decent #3-4 D man. If they got the Wideman from 2 years ago they would get a steal.

I think the Flames are going to run Wideman at least until the trade deadline or until contract ends and let him walk. If they saw nothing of value in him, they likely would have bought him out but interest last trade deadline says he has value. Just a matter of finding right price and willing partner. Lots of Clubs need D. many need PP capable and even more need RHS. Wideman fits all these parameters.

GG mentioned in an early interview he looked forward to working with our D and commented about how we had 4 high scoring D, something few teams could claim. If this is his view expect Wideman to start the season top 4 role and given lots of minutes.

Flames :

Dennis Wideman

retain 2.5 mil salary.

To

Oilers :

Nail Yakupov

I've often considered the possibility of these two players being swapped.  I think Wideman would fill a need for the Oilers, but he's a bit of a hot potato.  (Bettman is STILL trying to get the arbitrator's decision reversed.  Tell me, is there anyone out there who's more unlikable than this guy?)

Yakupov has a ton of skill, but practically zero hockey sense, IMO.  Still, if it meant getting rid of Wideman, I'd be in favour of taking a chance on him.  (One of my biggest concerns for 2016-17 is the possibility that we will have two of Wideman, Engelland or Smid on the ice at the same time) 

Well they both have 1 year left on their contracts. Low risk for both clubs.

Age difference between these two so I threw in the 3rd rounder because most of the articles I have seen for trading Yak said he is worth a 3rd only.

I think it was Mark Spectre who said he asked someone in Oiler management about acquiring Wideman. His answer was he costs too much. That is the reason why I said retain almost half Wideman's salary.

Wideman is almost exactly what the Oilers need. Specializes on PP, decent veteran presence on their young D core, decent #3-4 D man. If they got the Wideman from 2 years ago they would get a steal.

I think the Flames are going to run Wideman at least until the trade deadline or until contract ends and let him walk. If they saw nothing of value in him, they likely would have bought him out but interest last trade deadline says he has value. Just a matter of finding right price and willing partner. Lots of Clubs need D. many need PP capable and even more need RHS. Wideman fits all these parameters.

GG mentioned in an early interview he looked forward to working with our D and commented about how we had 4 high scoring D, something few teams could claim. If this is his view expect Wideman to start the season top 4 role and given lots of minutes.

I see the value in the deal, but I thik you would be reaching to also get a 3rd.  Wideman with salary retained is basically a wash salary wise, so they get a throwaway D that helps now for a throwaway winger.  The reported deals for Yak were for a 3rd, not getting a 3rd and Yak for a player.

It's a low risk deal for us.  If he is merely an okay player this season, we can put him on the exposed list for the draft.  He would be an easy target for Vegas, possibly leaving the likes of Yokipakka or Shinkaruk untouched.

If he becomes an impact player, we can resign him and protect him.  Put him in the right circumstances with the right coach and the right team and he could b a top player.  Expecting him to learn two-way play on the Oilers is a joke.

I've often considered the possibility of these two players being swapped.  I think Wideman would fill a need for the Oilers, but he's a bit of a hot potato.  (Bettman is STILL trying to get the arbitrator's decision reversed.  Tell me, is there anyone out there who's more unlikable than this guy?)

That would be Sean  Avery but thankfully he is retired.

Yakupov has a ton of skill, but practically zero hockey sense, IMO.  Still, if it meant getting rid of Wideman, I'd be in favour of taking a chance on him.  (One of my biggest concerns for 2016-17 is the possibility that we will have two of Wideman, Engelland or Smid on the ice at the same time) 

I wonder how much the Oilers have ruined him. Is it possible that Yak has no hockey sense because he has never been properly shown? He seems to be well spoken and has some intelligence. I am thinking maybe the right teacher... not a lot of risk at this price.

I see the value in the deal, but I thik you would be reaching to also get a 3rd.  Wideman with salary retained is basically a wash salary wise, so they get a throwaway D that helps now for a throwaway winger.  The reported deals for Yak were for a 3rd, not getting a 3rd and Yak for a player.

It's a low risk deal for us.  If he is merely an okay player this season, we can put him on the exposed list for the draft.  He would be an easy target for Vegas, possibly leaving the likes of Yokipakka or Shinkaruk untouched.

If he becomes an impact player, we can resign him and protect him.  Put him in the right circumstances with the right coach and the right team and he could b a top player.  Expecting him to learn two-way play on the Oilers is a joke.

My deal was giving up a 3rd for him changed that and edited it... Sorry for any confusion.

I wonder how much the Oilers have ruined him. Is it possible that Yak has no hockey sense because he has never been properly shown? He seems to be well spoken and has some intelligence. I am thinking maybe the right teacher... not a lot of risk at this price.

My deal was giving up a 3rd for him changed that and edited it... Sorry for any confusion.

Okay. that makes a ton of sense now.  I agree about needing the right team.  I think he was not used to his potential at all.  How does a player go from leading rookie scoring in the lockout year to being an afterthought following.  Playing with guys like Letestu etc may be appropriate for grinders, but not for scorers.  He had a great finish with Roy and played well with McDavid.  Ended up avaeraging something like 14 minutes icetime.  

Trading Wideman makes a ton of sense.  He's not really needed, especially on the PP.  Hamilton showed a ton of ability and replaces some of Wideman's use there.  Dougie doesn't have the big slapshot, but he gets the puck on net. Would also allow them to sign Nakladal for his PP ability, for when they want another RHS on the point. 

Okay. that makes a ton of sense now.  I agree about needing the right team.  I think he was not used to his potential at all.  How does a player go from leading rookie scoring in the lockout year to being an afterthought following.  Playing with guys like Letestu etc may be appropriate for grinders, but not for scorers.  He had a great finish with Roy and played well with McDavid.  Ended up avaeraging something like 14 minutes icetime.  

Trading Wideman makes a ton of sense.  He's not really needed, especially on the PP.  Hamilton showed a ton of ability and replaces some of Wideman's use there.  Dougie doesn't have the big slapshot, but he gets the puck on net. Would also allow them to sign Nakladal for his PP ability, for when they want another RHS on the point. 

Couple of things to remember here regarding Wideman, he is notorious for having a good year after a bad year and this is a contract year for him. Don't get me wrong I would take the first opportunity to unload him but I'm not sure BT sees it the way we do. The money is committed and should he have a good year going he would or should get us similar to what Russell got us, one would think.

The only thing about a proposed deal of Wides and Yak is, Tak is still an RFA after this year. I think there should be conditions, and I doubt the oilers are in a rush to deal a former 1st OA for merely a 3rd rounder and a guy who could flee after one season. I wouldn't do that deal and keep Yakupov until I got the right deal or work with him to improve as his value with the right attitude on both sides.

Couple of things to remember here regarding Wideman, he is notorious for having a good year after a bad year and this is a contract year for him. Don't get me wrong I would take the first opportunity to unload him but I'm not sure BT sees it the way we do. The money is committed and should he have a good year going he would or should get us similar to what Russell got us, one would think.

I wouldn't say that just because Wideman is still on the roster is a good indication that BT intends to have him on the roster this season.  He has some value, but are we going to see another season of him taking prime PP minutes, while playing the rest of the time on the 3rd pairing?  Even if he has a good year, it's still going to limited minutes.  His value will be nowhere near Russell's at the TDL.

The proposed Yak deal is actually no gain for us in the cap.  I would prefer to have the cap space for the year.

I wouldn't say that just because Wideman is still on the roster is a good indication that BT intends to have him on the roster this season.  He has some value, but are we going to see another season of him taking prime PP minutes, while playing the rest of the time on the 3rd pairing?  Even if he has a good year, it's still going to limited minutes.  His value will be nowhere near Russell's at the TDL.

The proposed Yak deal is actually no gain for us in the cap.  I would prefer to have the cap space for the year.

Couple of things possibly wrong with your thinking. Who is to say Wideman will be on the 3rd pairing (highly doubt that) secondly he is likely to see PP minutes based on it being one of his strengths. You have written him off in your head and along with that you think this new coaching group has as well. Wideman is an asset they will want to capitalize on and in the early going I would expect management and coaching to utilize him in a manner to breed success. If he doesn't work in the team's favor only then will you see the necessary adjustments. I think you are grasping at straws to think EDM is going to take Wideman on the assumption EDM doesn't like I'm anymore.

Couple of things possibly wrong with your thinking. Who is to say Wideman will be on the 3rd pairing (highly doubt that) secondly he is likely to see PP minutes based on it being one of his strengths. You have written him off in your head and along with that you think this new coaching group has as well. Wideman is an asset they will want to capitalize on and in the early going I would expect management and coaching to utilize him in a manner to breed success. If he doesn't work in the team's favor only then will you see the necessary adjustments. I think you are grasping at straws to think EDM is going to take Wideman on the assumption EDM doesn't like I'm anymore.

I haven't written him off as such, just visualizing his fit.  He's not strong enough defensively to play in the top 4.  He's no better than Engelland.  That's not a slight to either player, just shows you where the fit is - 3rd pair.  Here's are the only two ways he fits in the top 4, and I don't like either:

Option 1

Gio - Wideman

Brodie - Hamilton

Spoon - Engelland

Nakladal

Option 2

Gio - Brodie

Wideman - Hamilton

Spoon - Engelland

Nakladal

Option 1 is the only one that takes advantage of RHS-LHS splits, but Wideman can't be the one to play against the top competition.

Option 2 is a little better, but is not a very strong defensive pairing.  Each of them needs a shut down player to be able to shine.

I haven't written him off as such, just visualizing his fit.  He's not strong enough defensively to play in the top 4.  He's no better than Engelland.  That's not a slight to either player, just shows you where the fit is - 3rd pair.  Here's are the only two ways he fits in the top 4, and I don't like either:

Option 1

Gio - Wideman

Brodie - Hamilton

Spoon - Engelland

Nakladal

Option 2

Gio - Brodie

Wideman - Hamilton

Spoon - Engelland

Nakladal

Option 1 is the only one that takes advantage of RHS-LHS splits, but Wideman can't be the one to play against the top competition.

Option 2 is a little better, but is not a very strong defensive pairing.  Each of them needs a shut down player to be able to shine.

Many don't see it like you and he has always been a top 4 and paid like a top 4, if you want to peddle him as a top 4 you are best to play him there. Bottom pairing is where you want to bring newbies, less experienced or (as you say) a player such as Engelland. Wideman would be a total waste of an asset playing 3rd pairing. Nakladal isn't even here and where did Jokipakka go ?

If you think we are getting the Dennis Wideman of 2 seasons ago then you are easily getting a top 4 D. He had a career year and was top 5 in league for points and lead all of our D in scoring. He accomplished that with the least amount of TOI/GP and the fewest shots per game of the top 5 league leaders on Defense. Look at the Elite company his stats place him among....

00237d82efe774040813f7c77290825a.png

If you think we are getting the Wideman of last year then you have right to be concerned. He did not play top 4 levels most nights. I personally think his frustration over his performance contributed to his problems all season.

I also think the Coaches will give him many opportunities to play at his best ability and if he does so it will be win win for all. I expect he will be traded at the deadline unless he performs up to 2014-15 levels.

At 33 years of age he might be on the decline but I suspect he has a few years left in him of good hockey.

Anyone who thinks he now has this veil of evil over him for the hit on the linesman can forget that garbage. The NHL refs are professional and while they may not give him a break on borderline calls but they won't go out of their way to punish him or the Flames for that incident this coming season.

Many don't see it like you and he has always been a top 4 and paid like a top 4, if you want to peddle him as a top 4 you are best to play him there. Bottom pairing is where you want to bring newbies, less experienced or (as you say) a player such as Engelland. Wideman would be a total waste of an asset playing 3rd pairing. Nakladal isn't even here and where did Jokipakka go ?

It's an opinion, just like your opinion that Brodie should be split up from Gio.  Engelland is paid like a top 4.  Does he belong there?  You don't line up your team based on salary.  

The option lines would have Jokipakka on the 3rd pair instead of Spoon.  And Nakladal is a future signing based on what he brings to the lineup.  His signing (and Hamilton and Spoon's) is waiting on Johnny/Sean's signings.  

Wideman was a waste of an asset last season, but that is what he played like.  We have to get away from trying to up the value of guys that won't be with the team.  They tried it with Raymond.  Maybe they will keep Wideman until the TDL, but it's an expensive option leaving us little cap space.  

BT was working to get Wideman moved last summer, so I have no doubt he is working on it this year.  

It's an opinion, just like your opinion that Brodie should be split up from Gio.  Engelland is paid like a top 4.  Does he belong there?  You don't line up your team based on salary.  

The option lines would have Jokipakka on the 3rd pair instead of Spoon.  And Nakladal is a future signing based on what he brings to the lineup.  His signing (and Hamilton and Spoon's) is waiting on Johnny/Sean's signings.  

Wideman was a waste of an asset last season, but that is what he played like.  We have to get away from trying to up the value of guys that won't be with the team.  They tried it with Raymond.  Maybe they will keep Wideman until the TDL, but it's an expensive option leaving us little cap space.  

BT was working to get Wideman moved last summer, so I have no doubt he is working on it this year.  

I suppose Engelland is paid as a top 4 for some teams that don't have anyone else. Unless talented and having not received their money contract yet I would dare say a top 4 would be paid 3M and upwards. Regardless to that my point was to give Wideman ever early advantage to perform in order to build back in some value and trade him. Should that route fail you can knock him down to 3rd pairing or lower.

There are a number of situations that could happen come the TDL to free up cap space if we need it. I don't really see us adding to make any run at the SC this season, do you ?

I suppose Engelland is paid as a top 4 for some teams that don't have anyone else. Unless talented and having not received their money contract yet I would dare say a top 4 would be paid 3M and upwards. Regardless to that my point was to give Wideman ever early advantage to perform in order to build back in some value and trade him. Should that route fail you can knock him down to 3rd pairing or lower.

There are a number of situations that could happen come the TDL to free up cap space if we need it. I don't really see us adding to make any run at the SC this season, do you ?

Engelland has never been top 4 on the Flames, other than filling in for injury.  He played as well as you could expect him, and was able to play adequately with Brodie in 2014/15.  Last year we had Russell then Yokipakka be the #4.  If Engelland was on another team, they would probably have a younger player in the top 4.  

My belief is that you don't wait till the the TDL to move a player like Wideman.  Too expensive to carry for the entire year, both cap and actual dollars paid.  Maybe they play him as a top 4, but I don't see it.  By TDL, there will be a lot of teams stuck with protected players that have to try and move them before the draft.  So there will be deals available.  If you're anyway near a playoff position, why wouldn't you be looking for bargains at TDL?  They may try to sell some pieces they don't need, but look to add elsewhere.

Having free cap allows you to make the deals independently:

• trying to move, say Engelland - maybe no takers so you are stuck with the cap hit
  • trying to move Wideman - maybe too many other players available 
  • trying to bring in an impact player that is protected by their current team - need cap space at the time to make the deal

I am just preaching that if you identify a player not going to be with the team next year, you move him out as soon as possible.  If you have a comparable player that is cheaper, then it's a no-brianer.  If you have too many 3rd pairing defenders, move one out.  If you have too many 4th liners, move one out.

• Like 1

Engelland has never been top 4 on the Flames, other than filling in for injury.  He played as well as you could expect him, and was able to play adequately with Brodie in 2014/15.  Last year we had Russell then Yokipakka be the #4.  If Engelland was on another team, they would probably have a younger player in the top 4.  

My belief is that you don't wait till the the TDL to move a player like Wideman.  Too expensive to carry for the entire year, both cap and actual dollars paid.  Maybe they play him as a top 4, but I don't see it.  By TDL, there will be a lot of teams stuck with protected players that have to try and move them before the draft.  So there will be deals available.  If you're anyway near a playoff position, why wouldn't you be looking for bargains at TDL?  They may try to sell some pieces they don't need, but look to add elsewhere.

Having free cap allows you to make the deals independently:

• trying to move, say Engelland - maybe no takers so you are stuck with the cap hit
  • trying to move Wideman - maybe too many other players available 
  • trying to bring in an impact player that is protected by their current team - need cap space at the time to make the deal

I am just preaching that if you identify a player not going to be with the team next year, you move him out as soon as possible.  If you have a comparable player that is cheaper, then it's a no-brianer.  If you have too many 3rd pairing defenders, move one out.  If you have too many 4th liners, move one out.

It takes two to dance and if or when there is a deal for Wideman it will take place. If it doesn't I don't think current management is all that concerned about it. In the mean time having him play top 4 minutes is likely where he starts, logically it provides the best advantage for him to perform. I really don't see this team adding at the TDL this year, more unloading is more the route I see.

It takes two to dance and if or when there is a deal for Wideman it will take place. If it doesn't I don't think current management is all that concerned about it. In the mean time having him play top 4 minutes is likely where he starts, logically it provides the best advantage for him to perform. I really don't see this team adding at the TDL this year, more unloading is more the route I see.

Obviously.

Team management does care.  Wideman will be paid $6m this year in actual salary.  I don't think the owners are that keen paying that much for a guy to play a complimentary role on the team.  They are also concerned with potential playoff revenue.  Playing in the top 4 may be the best use of the money if he is here in October, but he didn't exactly shine in that role last year.  

You aren't a seller at TDL if you are playoff bound.  You may get rid of a few pieces that get you a decent return, if the end result does not impact your ability to make the playoffs.  They could choose to move Bouma if Hathaway or Hamilton has stepped up to replace that role.  They could choose to trade Engelland, if Yokipakka or other has made the loss negligible.  On the other hand, if they have cap space, they could make a move for a long-term gain. 

While I agree in theory, the problem is who are you moving out? You are likely moving guys out because you don't like their contracts and then the question becomes who wants them? I see we are seeing very clearly that outside of July 1, teams just are not interested in trading for salary or term right now. I think if Wideman was tradable he would have been moved by now so I think the message is pretty clear that Wideman isn't going anywhere. James Wisniewski is still out there as a pending UFA and no one has picked him up and I think if a team really wnated a RH shot dman they'd likely pick him up for free at a fraction of what Wideman will cost. I really thought the Flames could deal Wideman but its looking like either they can't, or he said No. Either way I think Wideman will be on the opening day roster.

Flames problem is the guys they want to move are expensive and no one wants the $. They guys they could move out, they likely don't want to part with. I personaly don't think its very smart to part with Engelland, his depth is very valuable and IMO he's worth his contract. 

Obviously.

Team management does care.  Wideman will be paid $6m this year in actual salary.  I don't think the owners are that keen paying that much for a guy to play a complimentary role on the team.  They are also concerned with potential playoff revenue.  Playing in the top 4 may be the best use of the money if he is here in October, but he didn't exactly shine in that role last year.  

You aren't a seller at TDL if you are playoff bound.  You may get rid of a few pieces that get you a decent return, if the end result does not impact your ability to make the playoffs.  They could choose to move Bouma if Hathaway or Hamilton has stepped up to replace that role.  They could choose to trade Engelland, if Yokipakka or other has made the loss negligible.  On the other hand, if they have cap space, they could make a move for a long-term gain. 

I disagree big time about not being sellers at the TDL even if you think you are playoff bound. The team entered into this Wideman contract and even if they don't like it now they have to live with it. You bring up last year but what about how he played the year before and his given track record ?

I disagree big time about not being sellers at the TDL even if you think you are playoff bound. The team entered into this Wideman contract and even if they don't like it now they have to live with it. You bring up last year but what about how he played the year before and his given track record ?

I doubt you convince a GM that you start selling when you are in playoff mode.  The goal is always to make the playoffs and try to make a run, without sacrificing the future.  You are always trying to improve.  

The team (former GM) signed Wideman and this GM signed Raymond.  They bought out Raymond, as you know.  Other than not being able to trade Wideman now, I fail to see why they are stuck with him.  He was a former GM's choice for term and dollars.  He may still have some legs left, but do you count on that to up his value or trade him knowing a few teams still have needs.

What I saw last year was a player slowing down a bit.  His bread and butter was PP minutes and point shots for scoring.  He managed a lot of PP time (more than Hamilton) but not a lot of shots reaching the net.  Most were Wide, man.