The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

How do you prove your injuries are behind you ? LOL they either happen or they don't. Do we or will we know what we have in Jankowski by the end of next season ? I would say he comes in to replace a hopefully gone by then Stajan. If in 2017/18 he looks like he could replace Backlund then it gives BT options for trading him. GMs like having options.

By playing another relatively injury free season.

His were freak and seemingly one after another, year after year. Some players get labelled injury prone.

I am not saying he is like Gaborik who I thought might've wanted more vacation time.

By playing another relatively injury free season.

His were freak and seemingly one after another, year after year. Some players get labelled injury prone.

I am not saying he is like Gaborik who I thought might've wanted more vacation time.

I knew what you meant, he has had his share of DL time in his career. Hopefully we can get a good 2 years out of Backlund.

I knew what you meant, he has had his share of DL time in his career. Hopefully we can get a good 2 years out of Backlund.

I'd like to think Backlund is primed for another career year...unless of course GG play style and systems find some way to throw his progression off course. For whatever reason i feel like Backlund will work well with the new coaches. Blind optimism i guess. It will be trickier to land high picks this year, if we move Widemen or Stajan or Backlund which I'm not rooting for..then we might be able to stock up on some 2nd and 3rd rounders. 

Backlunds issue has always been staying healthy. If he is healthy he should be a 40 to 50 point player who can shut down the other teams best lines. That is a steal at under 4 million.

For me though, this has been a recent change in the game. I think the hybrid is the way to go because IMO if you want to be a contender you need 3 lines that can produce offensivley with at least some consistancy. You can't just limit yourself to a top 6 bottom 6 anymore, IMO at least. Other than faceoffs, which he needs to get better at, I view Backlund as the ideal 3rd line center in today's game and for how the game will continue to go. 

I do agree though at 3.75 is not too much for Backlund an in fact a very good 3rd line center should make exactly that. You need to invest in Center ice as there are just not enough good ones to go around. Having said all of this on Backlund I do think Bennett will likely be a center for the Flames and Backlund could be pricing himself out of a future in Calgary so he is not someone I am opposed to trading but it would be for a very good return and certainly not as a throw in. 

Fair enough, i think hybrids are getting popular as well. Ranking our C's (Offense/Defense) going into this season, 

Monahan (8/7)

Backlund (6/7)

Bennett (8/5)

Stajan (3/6)

I would trade Backlund if we can internally graduate a 3C who was more like (3/10).  A stud first unit PK, great at faceoffs, late game closer, with sandpaper, etc.

I'd like to think Backlund is primed for another career year...unless of course GG play style and systems find some way to throw his progression off course. For whatever reason i feel like Backlund will work well with the new coaches. Blind optimism i guess. It will be trickier to land high picks this year, if we move Widemen or Stajan or Backlund which I'm not rooting for..then we might be able to stock up on some 2nd and 3rd rounders. 

I'm sure GG is very aware of Backlund's strengths and how to use him. I would say similar to this past season BT will want to move certain players like Wideman, Stajan, Bouma and Bollig (if still here) anyway he can. I don't see any 2nd rounders for these players but maybe a few 3rds to 6 rounders, whatever we can get really.

Backlunds issue has always been staying healthy. If he is healthy he should be a 40 to 50 point player who can shut down the other teams best lines. That is a steal at under 4 million.

If Backs can stay healthy then I think he is one of the league's best value contracts.

He is being paid a rate for all the injury ridden years more like a perpetual show me contract.

• Like 1

Wow, Panthers had to give up Crouse to dump the Bolland contract. Cap dumps have been crazy expensive recently. Should give some perspective on the likelihood of getting rid of Stajan. Maybe even Wideman.

Wow, Panthers had to give up Crouse to dump the Bolland contract. Cap dumps have been crazy expensive recently. Should give some perspective on the likelihood of getting rid of Stajan. Maybe even Wideman.

I think Stajan will fall into the Jones to MIN type deal at the TDL or next off season. Wideman doesn't seem to be any real concern for BT, you never hear him mention it. In reality Wideman has a visable track record, he isn't worth 6M but if going well between the start of the season and the TDL maybe another team will want him. I think that is all BT can hope for now.

ARZ made themselves a good deal there.

I was didn't like this trade for Arizona. Crouse is a good player, but is he worth a 2nd, a 3rd and about $16m in cap dump. To me Crouse at best is on track to becoming similar to Troy Brouwer.

I was didn't like this trade for Arizona. Crouse is a good player, but is he worth a 2nd, a 3rd and about $16m in cap dump. To me Crouse at best is on track to becoming similar to Troy Brouwer.

I see a team that had the room to take on such a deal. A team in the West that could use some talented size and an aggressive player such as Bolland now. A 2nd and 3rd or 2-3rds IMO was fair given the circumstances. You never know what you get with picks and these could see these picks not help the team for 3 years from now.

I acutally like that trade for both sides. Arizona has the room to fit Bolland and with most of their good younger players 3 or 4 yeras away from a pay day, and so much salary coming off the books in the next couple years, it isn't going to impact their ability to sign them. I actually think Bolland can help the Coytoes too by sheltering guys like Domi/ Strome from key faceoffs, pk, tough matchups etc. 

Florida sheds a player and ocntract they don't need, solid deal both was IMO but i agree with Kehatch it does show how expensive cap dumps are. I really believe Flames are struck with Stajan and Wideman which isn't the end of the world anyway, 

I acutally like that trade for both sides. Arizona has the room to fit Bolland and with most of their good younger players 3 or 4 yeras away from a pay day, and so much salary coming off the books in the next couple years, it isn't going to impact their ability to sign them. I actually think Bolland can help the Coytoes too by sheltering guys like Domi/ Strome from key faceoffs, pk, tough matchups etc. 

Florida sheds a player and ocntract they don't need, solid deal both was IMO but i agree with Kehatch it does show how expensive cap dumps are. I really believe Flames are struck with Stajan and Wideman which isn't the end of the world anyway,

It's my understanding that Bolland's career is done, he won't actually be playing for Arizona just sitting on LTIR.

It's my understanding that Bolland's career is done, he won't actually be playing for Arizona just sitting on LTIR.

Hmm intersting if true. I hadn't heard the same, i know he failed his physcial in the offseason but I've read he does want to continue playing he just isn't sure when he will be healthy enough to do so.

guess we'll see. either way i still this as a good deal for both sides. I view Crouse as a very good prospect albeit not an elite one but a very good one and I perosnally think his upside is much high than Brouwer's. he's a much better skater. 

Hmm intersting if true. I hadn't heard the same, i know he failed his physcial in the offseason but I've read he does want to continue playing he just isn't sure when he will be healthy enough to do so.

guess we'll see. either way i still this as a good deal for both sides. I view Crouse as a very good prospect albeit not an elite one but a very good one and I perosnally think his upside is much high than Brouwer's. he's a much better skater. 

What is the nature of Bolland's injuries ?

Man the Coyotes are doing a solid job acquiring really good prospects. Dvorak, Strome, Domi, Duclair, Keller, Chychrun, Crouse and Merkley. We need to watch out for this team in the next few years. It's a great trade for both teams, if Bolland is bought out next year and Crouse pans out its a win for Arizona.

That is one crazy cap dump.  It's equivalent for the Flames would be Stajan + Poirier for a 4th rounder.

The Panthers now have over $9-mil cap space and one has to ask why?  What are they using it for at this stage of UFA season?  Is it an internal cap?  Which is interesting because the Coyotes now have only $2.5-mil cap space remaining but aren't they a salary cap floor team that can't afford that big of a team cap hit?  If the Panthers are clearing cap space for next season for Ekblad and Huberdeau contracts, then why not do this next summer?  Why does this cost them Crouse right now?

Bolland is going on LTIR?  Then why did the Panthers have to cap dump him when they could've just moved him to LTIR and kept Crouse?

I agree that they're assembling a good group of young talent, but they're blowing money like mad.  They already have Pronger and Datsyuk's contracts.  Now they have Bolland who may well be on LTIR.  They bought out Vermette.  They've given Doan way too much money for a 39-year-old.  If Bolland truly is bound for LTIR, that's in the neighbourhood of $18M they're giving away this year.  Obviously this doesn't hurt their cap situation, but a team that was on life-support a few years ago shouldn't be spending like drunken sailors. 

• Like 1

I agree that they're assembling a good group of young talent, but they're blowing money like mad.  They already have Pronger and Datsyuk's contracts.  Now they have Bolland who may well be on LTIR.  They bought out Vermette.  They've given Doan way too much money for a 39-year-old.  If Bolland truly is bound for LTIR, that's in the neighbourhood of $18M they're giving away this year.  Obviously this doesn't hurt their cap situation, but a team that was on life-support a few years ago shouldn't be spending like drunken sailors. 

NHL approved dumping ground.

• Like 1

They aren't shy about taking advantage of their cap space. It's a great asset to have especially this year with so many teams tied up with bad contracts. It's smart in one regard as u don't have to part with roster players or prospects but if the Coyotes prospects all pan out good luck signing them all

I know Wideman is a whipping boy for a lot of ppl. He's contract is wack BUT if he can return to form we'd have a really nice looking PP with him and Hamilton on the right side. Overall I'd still peg Wideman as more asset than liability so I don't mind 1 more season with him. If he can get off to a good start I think he could still land us a 2nd rounder.

They aren't shy about taking advantage of their cap space. It's a great asset to have especially this year with so many teams tied up with bad contracts. It's smart in one regard as u don't have to part with roster players or prospects but if the Coyotes prospects all pan out good luck signing them all

I know Wideman is a whipping boy for a lot of ppl. He's contract is wack BUT if he can return to form we'd have a really nice looking PP with him and Hamilton on the right side. Overall I'd still peg Wideman as more asset than liability so I don't mind 1 more season with him. If he can get off to a good start I think he could still land us a 2nd rounder.

I agree if he is having a good year through to the TDL he could garner us a 2nd rounder maybe more. I just think in order to do that he has to be paired with someone good like Giordano.

I agree if he is having a good year through to the TDL he could garner us a 2nd rounder maybe more. I just think in order to do that he has to be paired with someone good like Giordano.

Why are we pairing guys for the TDL?  We should be pairing guys for the playoffs.  When we pair guys for the playoffs, Wideman is the odd man out.

Why are we pairing guys for the TDL? We should be pairing guys for the playoffs. When we pair guys for the playoffs, Wideman is the odd man out.

Agreed. It isn't about developing value, it's about winning games.

That said, I would try Giordano-Hamilton, Brodie-Wideman in the preseason. Brodie and Wideman have played well together and I don't think the Giordano Hamilton pair was given a fair crack with Giordano back from injury and Hamilton starting with the team.

But I still think you end up back with Giordano-Brodie and trying to find someone to play with Hamilton (probably Jokipakka).

Agreed. It isn't about developing value, it's about winning games.

That said, I would try Giordano-Hamilton, Brodie-Wideman in the preseason. Brodie and Wideman have played well together and I don't think the Giordano Hamilton pair was given a fair crack with Giordano back from injury and Hamilton starting with the team.

But I still think you end up back with Giordano-Brodie and trying to find someone to play with Hamilton (probably Jokipakka).

Value develops on its own, it either will or it won't. We all already know that Giordano and Brodie can play well together however GG as a coach has to max out with the players BT gives him. If you want Wideman to achieve anywhere close to his max potential stats you don't bury him on the LS of the 3rd pairing or necessarily play him with a rookie with him on the RS also on the 3rd pairing. You could well be right that Brodie is the better match for him initially, either him or Giordano are required to make up for his defensive shortcomings.

Why are we pairing guys for the TDL?  We should be pairing guys for the playoffs.  When we pair guys for the playoffs, Wideman is the odd man out.

I don't think that is what I said here but you can have your own interpretation.

Value develops on its own, it either will or it won't. We all already know that Giordano and Brodie can play well together however GG as a coach has to max out with the players BT gives him. If you want Wideman to achieve anywhere close to his max potential stats you don't bury him on the LS of the 3rd pairing or necessarily play him with a rookie with him on the RS also on the 3rd pairing. You could well be right that Brodie is the better match for him initially, either I'm or Giordano are required to make up for his defensive shortcomings.

I don't think that is what I said here but you can have your own interpretation.

If you maximize Wideman's usage and he responds by having another breakout season, one has to assume that the Flames are playoff bound.  If that's the case, why are you trading away that valuable a resource?  You aren't going to:

1) break up pairings that are really working well

2) change the dynamic of the team that radically by trading away a top 4 pairing guy

I would suspect that the coach try to maximize the usage of the players who hopefully will be here next year.  We have the top 3 who we know about and a couple of younger guys signed that could be part of the top 4 this year or next.  If Wideman puts up 50 points, you might have to assume that we are keeping him.