The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

This type of thinking is not accurate.

Flames are committed next year to 48 million in 14 players. Thats 20 million to spend on on 8 players and really the only players worth of big dollars are Gaudreau/Monahan. Let's assume they get 6.5 each you'd still have 7 million to spend on 6/7 players depending on how you want to alocate money. Thats also includes the 12.68 tied up in Raymond, Stajan, Smid and Englelland you could look to move or the 5.25 of Wideman's money. In other words you have approximately 17 million worth of $ that you could probably find replacements at a 3rd of the price for and even if you can't all of it except for Stajan comes off the books at the end of the year.

Your too gentle.  :)

We don't HAVE TO trade Giordano but there are valid reasons to trade him and it depends on what the return is.

In principle I agree. Winning or lossing I think there are always valid reasons to trade someone. However, what hasn't been mentioned enough is Gio has a NTC that kicks in with the new deal and it's been reported he took less money to stay here. Before people plan a Gio trade you have to be prepared that I think its very possible he Veto's the process or limits the return by picking where he wants to go. Technically he doens't have a NTC this season but I think you have to honor it given it was you who game him one starting next offseson. Taking "advantage" of that would have serious reprocussions IMO.

The playoffs are a dream at present. BT gambled on us being a playoff contender added a few pieces, and lost this season. Now he has to refocus on the rebuild. We need to create cap space for next season signings and this is where Trevling is going to have to do some key moves to stay on the current " rebuild" path. 

I wouldn't say Treliving gambled and lost. The moves he made coming into this season (bringing in Hamilton and Frolik and extending Gio) were all long term moves that improve the team moving forward. He didn't trade the future to win now, which is what I would consider a gamble (and a bad one, in the Flames current situation).

If anything, it's his earlier moves (signing "veteran leadership" type guys to overpriced contracts, because he thought the team would take longer to improve than it actually did), that are creating cap trouble now.

I would say slow right down on the "trade Gio" train. The guy is coming off back to back Norris calibre years and even with his extremely uncharacteristic struggles this season he's on pace for 17 goals.

Remember when he got stitches in his eyelid and came back the same game to score the overtime winner?

Ray Bourque, Dave Andreychuk, Brind'Amour, Regehr, all veterans instrumental in cup wins. Gio will join that list one day.

Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Monohan, Gaudreau, Bennett. Amazing core. Let them play through the rough patch and grow together as a group.

• Like 1

In principle I agree. Winning or lossing I think there are always valid reasons to trade someone. However, what hasn't been mentioned enough is Gio has a NTC that kicks in with the new deal and it's been reported he took less money to stay here. Before people plan a Gio trade you have to be prepared that I think its very possible he Veto's the process or limits the return by picking where he wants to go. Technically he doens't have a NTC this season but I think you have to honor it given it was you who game him one starting next offseson. Taking "advantage" of that would have serious reprocussions IMO.

We did the same to Dion Phaneuf when we kicked him out just before his NTC kicked in.  We did not suffer repercussions.

There are grounds for trading Giordano at the TDL and it would include the Flames being one of the worst teams in the NHL.  He's also underperforming personally.  Again, I want to stress TDL because I'm not advocating we trade him right now.  I just think we should make him available IF we are nowhere close to the playoffs come TDL and if he continues to under-perform.

Some people here thought Feaster made some bad moves.  We’d be the laughing stock of the league if rumors got out we were kicking tires on a Gio trade in hopes for a mammoth return.  What kind of distraction do you think COL is having now that the world knows they have been kicking tires on a Duchene trade?  You can’t keep that stuff quiet, especially when an all-star could be moved.  You think the 3 goalies are a team distraction, how about a reporter sticking a microphone in the captains face every day and asking about a trade to FLO or CAR or Timbuktu.  You don’t start kicking tires unless your 100% sure he’s gone.  The Flames just made a 6 year commitment to Gio, get used to it.

We did the same to Dion Phaneuf when we kicked him out just before his NTC kicked in.  We did not suffer repercussions.

There are grounds for trading Giordano at the TDL and it would include the Flames being one of the worst teams in the NHL.  He's also underperforming personally.  Again, I want to stress TDL because I'm not advocating we trade him right now.  I just think we should make him available IF we are nowhere close to the playoffs come TDL and if he continues to under-perform.

A prima dona who had become a well known problem in the locker room (not just here but in the hockey world)  who was playing below a contact they negotiated years earlier, versus your very well liked captation who just re negotiated and left money on the table in order to stay here are the same thing? Very different circumstances IMO.

Again I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't trade him I just think there are alot of factors at play and I do think if you did want to put him on the block the right thing to do would be to go to him and tell him you are going to do it and "honor" the NTC you just gave him less than a year ago.

At the end of the day I think we are spinning in circles becuase Its my belief that the return for Gio is going to be underwelming compared to what fans think they would get for him. I think that is going to make him tough to trade more than anythign else.

Might as well aim for Auston Matthews at this point.

What took you so long Peoples? I was expecting the "let's tank for the 20% at the lotto pick" a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

What took you so long Peoples? I was expecting the "let's tank for the 20% at the lotto pick" a couple of weeks ago.

Me too lol

Some people here thought Feaster made some bad moves.  We’d be the laughing stock of the league if rumors got out we were kicking tires on a Gio trade in hopes for a mammoth return.  What kind of distraction do you think COL is having now that the world knows they have been kicking tires on a Duchene trade?  You can’t keep that stuff quiet, especially when an all-star could be moved.  You think the 3 goalies are a team distraction, how about a reporter sticking a microphone in the captains face every day and asking about a trade to FLO or CAR or Timbuktu.  You don’t start kicking tires unless your 100% sure he’s gone.  The Flames just made a 6 year commitment to Gio, get used to it.

Funny the fire that it created in COL has cause some wins. Trade rumours are part of any sport. I imagine answering trade rumours would be no less painful than being asked constantly why you cant win a game. I have no issue with Gio or the contract. We could very well be 9-22-2 by the end of December. The so called signings for the future may not look to bright in a few weeks.

I was being somewhat sarcastic in my reply.  Like, to say why aim for Chychrun when you can aim for Matthews?  We're so close to both.  "Go big or go home".

By no means was I attempting to round up the bandwagon with my comment.  At least, not yet.  We can still make the playoffs despite our horrible start.  Let's wait until the first week of December to see.  Besides, 20% odds isn't great.

I'm not sure is this realistic but...

To Boston: Hiller, Russell, 1st round pick

To Calgary: Rask, maybe late round pick?

I'm just thinking, so don't hate me :)

I'm not sure is this realistic but...

To Boston: Hiller, Russell, 1st round pick

To Calgary: Rask, maybe late round pick?

I'm just thinking, so don't hate me :)

I doubt that Boston trades away their starter. Not when they are still in the playoffs race. I also don't think the Flames should be trading our first as it could be a high pick.

I doubt that Boston trades away their starter. Not when they are still in the playoffs race. I also don't think the Flames should be trading our first as it could be a high pick.

Nice try though.

One of finnish hockey media wrote that Boston is ready to trade Rask when Subban is ready to be starter. But nah I was just dreaming, sorry about that. :)

One of finnish hockey media wrote that Boston is ready to trade Rask when Subban is ready to be starter. But nah I was just dreaming, sorry about that. :)

No need to apologize. The Flames need a goalie and I think the value was about right. Good trade suggestion. I just don't see it happens right now with Rask their starter and them in the playoff conversation.

Elliotte Friedman on Sportsnet 960 on the Wild.

“One team that’s pretty interesting to me is Minnesota. The Wild have a couple of kids in the American Hockey League – defensemen,  one of them 
Mike Reilly
 – who are getting pretty close to being ready. They have four defenseman – I think five defensemen, actually, 25 and younger. They’ve got some extra blueliners. There are teams in this league looking for D. Minnesota, I’ve been told, is a team to kind of watch – when do they pull the trigger, if they want to go and find something else to help them.

“Now, I think ideally the Wild would like to wait until those two young guys they think are ready for the NHL, but if somebody tempts them sooner with something they can really use, I know there’s teams calling Minnesota looking for their extra defensemen.”

I wonder what it would take to get Christian Folin. He's a 24 year old, 6'3" RHS Swedish defenseman.

Ideally we could get Marco Scandella, but I doubt Minnesota moves anyone from their top 4 and they would be very reluctant to move Dumba. That leaves Folin and Prosser. Folin has some untapped upside.

I wonder what it would take to get Christian Folin. He's a 24 year old, 6'3" RHS Swedish defenseman.

Ideally we could get Marco Scandella, but I doubt Minnesota moves anyone from their top 4 and they would be very reluctant to move Dumba. That leaves Folin and Prosser. Folin has some untapped upside.

Try Granlund for him

I assume that you are suggesting we trade at least one of our current D.  Long term, I don't see defense as our biggest need.  Top 6 is our biggest long term need.

I assume that you are suggesting we trade at least one of our current D.  Long term, I don't see defense as our biggest need.  Top 6 is our biggest long term need.

This could change real fast if you trade away Russell, Wideman and plan on replacing Smid and Engelland. I wouldn't sneeze at an opportunity to upgrade in one area over another, take a good trade as they present themselves.

I wouldn't mind the Flames exploring the idea of getting the Schenn brothers out of PHI. Move Braydon to either LW or RW in our top 6.

Try Granlund for him

I wouldn't mind that, but I think Minnesota would be looking for a player that helps them now, like a David Jones.

I assume that you are suggesting we trade at least one of our current D. Long term, I don't see defense as our biggest need. Top 6 is our biggest long term need.

I think we have our top 3 in place, but we still need to rebuild our bottom 3 including one more top 4 defenseman.

Ideally we can move on from Russell, Wideman, Smid, and maybe Engelland by the start of next season.

I could move on from Russell and Wideman but my bet is on Engelland still being here.

He could be, I could see riding out Engelland's contract.

I could move on from Russell and Wideman but my bet is on Engelland still being here.

I don't have as big an issue with Engelland this year.  He is never going to be that effective, but he has offered some stability to the 3rd pairing, in limited minutes.  I feel that some of his recent struggles in our end have more to do playing his wrong side.  Put him back on RD with a Kulak or Nakladal or Culkin, and I think you have an OK 3rd pairing for the immediate future.  Nakladal is a RHS, but think he would be fine on LD.

I wouldn't mind that, but I think Minnesota would be looking for a player that helps them now, like a David Jones.

I think we have our top 3 in place, but we still need to rebuild our bottom 3 including one more top 4 defenseman.

Ideally we can move on from Russell, Wideman, Smid, and maybe Engelland by the start of next season.

I just think that you have to give up something other than a defenseman to get Folin back.  Trade Russell for a forward or pick/prospect and trade a different prospect/depth player for Folin.  Then trade Wideman for a forward that helps us now. That helps us both short and long term.

We could then look like this:

Brodie/Hamilton

Gio/Folin

Kulak(Culkin or Nakladal)/Engelland

Folin is the stay-at-home guy that helps Gio, while the Brod-amilton pairing is the top pair.  Third pairing is no worse than it is now.