Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

I wonder if Detroit will be looking to move either Tomas Jurco or Teemu Pulkkinen. I don't think they have room on the roster for both and both require waivers.

 

Jurco has been a PPG player in the AHL and just hasn't gotten a chance to play on regular basis in the NHL. He is a LHS, RW/LW, 6'1" 205lbs and he's 23.

 

Pulkkinen is also has been a PPG in the AHL and just needs a chance to prove what he can do. He is a RHS LW/RW, 5'11" 185lbs and he's 24. In 2014-2015 he put up 34 goals and 61 points in 46 games for  Grand Rapids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Detroit will be looking to move either Tomas Jurco or Teemu Pulkkinen. I don't think they have room on the roster for both and both require waivers.

 

Jurco has been a PPG player in the AHL and just hasn't gotten a chance to play on regular basis in the NHL. He is a LHS, RW/LW, 6'1" 205lbs and he's 23.

 

Pulkkinen is also has been a PPG in the AHL and just needs a chance to prove what he can do. He is a RHS LW/RW, 5'11" 185lbs and he's 24. In 2014-2015 he put up 34 goals and 61 points in 46 games for  Grand Rapids.

If he is available Pulkkinen is the one out of the 2 I would go for in a trade. We need to continue the hunt to find the right answers for RW. You watch GG using Ferland on RW all through camp and this concern me only because Ferland is best as a LWer.

The question becomes what would it take to DET to get him. Would Wideman with retained salary and a prospect help DET ? or just a prospect and a draft pick do it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Detroit will be looking to move either Tomas Jurco or Teemu Pulkkinen. I don't think they have room on the roster for both and both require waivers.

 

Jurco has been a PPG player in the AHL and just hasn't gotten a chance to play on regular basis in the NHL. He is a LHS, RW/LW, 6'1" 205lbs and he's 23.

 

Pulkkinen is also has been a PPG in the AHL and just needs a chance to prove what he can do. He is a RHS LW/RW, 5'11" 185lbs and he's 24. In 2014-2015 he put up 34 goals and 61 points in 46 games for  Grand Rapids.

Both are good players I doubt Detroit is interested in moving. If we had a move for Jurco, I don't think Detroit is going to want salary back, so I'm guessing it would take our 2017 2nd just to start the conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Detroit will be looking to move either Tomas Jurco or Teemu Pulkkinen. I don't think they have room on the roster for both and both require waivers.

 

Jurco has been a PPG player in the AHL and just hasn't gotten a chance to play on regular basis in the NHL. He is a LHS, RW/LW, 6'1" 205lbs and he's 23.

 

Pulkkinen is also has been a PPG in the AHL and just needs a chance to prove what he can do. He is a RHS LW/RW, 5'11" 185lbs and he's 24. In 2014-2015 he put up 34 goals and 61 points in 46 games for  Grand Rapids.

 

Pulky is intriguing to me.  I wonder what he is at the NHL level.  We had guys like Grant that couldn't translate it to the NHL and we gave up on them.  I believe that Puly played for Russia in the WJC and looked deadly.  If that's the same guy, then go for it.  We need a Russian sniper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

Pulky is intriguing to me.  I wonder what he is at the NHL level.  We had guys like Grant that couldn't translate it to the NHL and we gave up on them.  I believe that Puly played for Russia in the WJC and looked deadly.  If that's the same guy, then go for it.  We need a Russian sniper.

 

 

Pulkkinen is Finnish I don't think he ever played for Russia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

 

Pulkkinen is Finnish I don't think he ever played for Russia.

 

Ha ha.  Ya got me there.  Was he a standout in the WJC?  Maybe I am mixing him up with a Ruskie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that Frk was claimed by Carolina.

 

Today, Weal is on waivers.  Any interest in a RHS center 5'10", 180 lbs.  Was close to a p/gp AHL player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I see that Frk was claimed by Carolina.

 

Today, Weal is on waivers.  Any interest in a RHS center 5'10", 180 lbs.  Was close to a p/gp AHL player.

 

To me Weal is another Linden Vey or Freddie Hamilton, they all fit somewhere in between the AHL and NHL.

 

I just don't think there is any room for Weal he just isn't a clear upgrade over Vey or Hamilton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2016 at 2:04 PM, travel_dude said:

 

Ha ha.  Ya got me there.  Was he a standout in the WJC?  Maybe I am mixing him up with a Ruskie.

He's definitely been on a bunch of Finnish teams.

What I don't understand from Holland is picking up Vanek when Jurco, Pulkinnen, Athanasiou and Anthony Mantha are really close.

All 4 young guys have some issues, but skill isn't one. It's a decent farm there offensively, I can't see them making a move without some over-payment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, conundrumed said:

He's definitely been on a bunch of Finnish teams.

What I don't understand from Holland is picking up Vanek when Jurco, Pulkinnen, Athanasiou and Anthony Mantha are really close.

All 4 young guys have some issues, but skill isn't one. It's a decent farm there offensively, I can't see them making a move without some over-payment.

KARMA we didn't get Puljujarvi maybe we can get a Pulkinnen for RW. Do we have anything DET needs ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

KARMA we didn't get Puljujarvi maybe we can get a Pulkinnen for RW. Do we have anything DET needs ?

Well I think he was a 5th round pick, but they've been developing him for 5ish years. He's crushed it in Grand Rapids but hasn't quite made the jump.

With their cap situation, no way would it be salary. Hard to imagine they're much willing to move any of the 4 I listed, but old school GM's work in mysterious ways, no doubt Holland/Burke are tight.

Picks/Prospects. Not Wideman with retained salary. lol I doubt anyone wants Wideman. Should have been bought out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, conundrumed said:

Well I think he was a 5th round pick, but they've been developing him for 5ish years. He's crushed it in Grand Rapids but hasn't quite made the jump.

With their cap situation, no way would it be salary. Hard to imagine they're much willing to move any of the 4 I listed, but old school GM's work in mysterious ways, no doubt Holland/Burke are tight.

Picks/Prospects. Not Wideman with retained salary. lol I doubt anyone wants Wideman. Should have been bought out.

Perhaps Pulkinnen needs a change of scenery for any opportunity and we have one available. BT would have nothing to lose by exploring the possibility even if it took a prospect of ours and a 2nd rounder. Look what Gaudreau and Monahan did with Hudler, what could they accomplish with a much younger TEEMU Pulkinnen ???? I would love a Teemu on our team. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could definitely use a RW capable of playing with Gaudreau and Monahan as well as a D to play with Hamilton. 

 

Gaudreau-Monahan-XXXX

Ferland-Backlund-Frolik 

Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer 

Bouma-Stajan-Chiasson

 

Giordano-Brodie 

XXXX-Hamilton 

Jokipakka-Engellend 

 

Elliott/Johnson

 

We will need to rebuild the  bottom line and pairing at some point, but outside of that I love the lineup if we can fill the holes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Perhaps Pulkinnen needs a change of scenery for any opportunity and we have one available. BT would have nothing to lose by exploring the possibility even if it took a prospect of ours and a 2nd rounder. Look what Gaudreau and Monahan did with Hudler, what could they accomplish with a much younger TEEMU Pulkinnen ???? I would love a Teemu on our team. LOL

It's just more the way Detroit develops players, he'll earn a spot some time this year. Don't forget Blashill moved up from Griffins coach to Wings coach, Pulkinnen was his clutch guy in GR.

But I am not at all comfortable with next years 2nd being traded until John is signed.

Could be a 31st oa, currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I see that Frk was claimed by Carolina.

 

Today, Weal is on waivers.  Any interest in a RHS center 5'10", 180 lbs.  Was close to a p/gp AHL player.

 

A RHS RW developed by the Red Wings and looked NHL ready by all accounts.  Did the Flames not use their waiver priority to claim Frk or did Carolina have higher priority?  Not sure but i remember him from way back in his Junior days and he looked like a prototypical high skilled mid-round Red Wings draft pick that was going to be a for sure NHLer some day.   Not surprised he got claimed and wish the Flames would've took a chance on him and put Stajan on waivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

 

A RHS RW developed by the Red Wings and looked NHL ready by all accounts.  Did the Flames not use their waiver priority to claim Frk or did Carolina have higher priority?  Not sure but i remember him from way back in his Junior days and he looked like a prototypical high skilled mid-round Red Wings draft pick that was going to be a for sure NHLer some day.   Not surprised he got claimed and wish the Flames would've took a chance on him and put Stajan on waivers.

 

There were multiple claims, but CAR was the lowest from last season end.  Obviously we didn't try.  He may not be ready this season, though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2016 at 3:19 PM, MAC331 said:

If he is available Pulkkinen is the one out of the 2 I would go for in a trade. We need to continue the hunt to find the right answers for RW. You watch GG using Ferland on RW all through camp and this concern me only because Ferland is best as a LWer.

The question becomes what would it take to DET to get him. Would Wideman with retained salary and a prospect help DET ? or just a prospect and a draft pick do it ?

Pulkinnen waived!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's just more the way Detroit develops players, he'll earn a spot some time this year. Don't forget Blashill moved up from Griffins coach to Wings coach, Pulkinnen was his clutch guy in GR.

But I am not at all comfortable with next years 2nd being traded until John is signed.

Could be a 31st oa, currently.

You see I don't get this kind of thinking. If you have a chance to get a good player already developed and could slot right in with where your team is at, why worry about an unknown 2nd rounder ? The 2nd round pick would not be here this year and would not likely  (if ever) be in a position to help the Flames until 4 years down the road. I would especially be looking for someone like this no matter if JG is signed or not but especially if he isn't. Having said all this I don't see DET trading him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting names on waivers today, the names I am most interested in are:

 

Klas Dahlbeck: 6'3" LD, 25 years old makes $750,000. Reliable defenseman.

Mark McNeil: 6'2" C/RW, 23 years old makes $600,000. A bit of tweener, but has good two way instincts.

Teemu Pulkkinen: 5'11" RW/LW, 24 years old makes $812,500. Skilled winger. Had off-season shoulder surgery, might be rusty. Would have to live with him rehabbing at the NHL.

P.A. Parenteau: 6' RW, 33 years old makes $1.25m. Veteran winger put up 20 goals playing for the Leafs last year.

 

Calgary is 5th on the waiver priority.

 

Zbynek Michalek is also on waivers and I would have put him on the list if his salary wasn't $3.2m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parenteau is an obvious claim. Pulkkinen is another great option. I think the Flames put Bollig on waivers and released Higgins to make a claim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Parenteau is an obvious claim. Pulkkinen is another great option. I think the Flames put Bollig on waivers and released Higgins to make a claim. 

 

Parenteau could be a good fit with Monahan and Gaudreau, the only question is can he keep up.

 

Pulkkinen is another guy that could fit on that line, the question with him is he healthy enough.

 

Dahlbeck to me is an upgrade over Kulak and Grossmann and fits as a 6/7 defenseman.

 

McNeil is basically the same as Vey and Hamilton but with size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

 

Parenteau could be a good fit with Monahan and Gaudreau, the only question is can he keep up.

 

Pulkkinen is another guy that could fit on that line, the question with him is he healthy enough.

 

Dahlbeck to me is an upgrade over Kulak and Grossmann and fits as a 6/7 defenseman.

 

McNeil is basically the same as Vey and Hamilton but with size.

If I were choosing for a 1 year fix of either Parenteau or Pulkinnen I would go with Pulkinnen as younger and more advantageous if he works out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAC331 said:

If I were choosing for a 1 year fix of either Parenteau or Pulkinnen I would go with Pulkinnen as younger and more advantageous if he works out.

I would like to see Kulak get his opportunity this season so no to Grossman and picking up someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAC331 said:

If I were choosing for a 1 year fix of either Parenteau or Pulkinnen I would go with Pulkinnen as younger and more advantageous if he works out.

 

I am reading lots on twitter saying that Pulkkinen's skating isn't NHL level, but he has an elite shot. So he would have to have high hockey IQ to get to shooting spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...