Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-will-flyers-be-forced-to-make-a-move~1034273

 

According to the group over at TSN, the Flyers are in a bit of a cap crunch, they need to free up salary so they can bring back Streit who is ready to come off LTIR. Seeing as they are in the hunt for a playoff spot, I don't see them giving up anyone like Schenn or Simmonds. They will probably look to move someone like Read. Where I am kind of curious is would they move a guy like Del Zotto. His $3.875m cap hit would free up space they have tonnes of young depth on defense to take Del Zotto's spot.

 

Del Zotto could step into our 2nd pairing moving Brodie to his more comfortable right side, but more importantly it would almost move Wideman right out of the line up, unless GG wants to go Gio-Ham, Brodie-Wides, Del Zotto, Engalland. Either way our D core would be much better. 

 

Del Zotto can skate, he can move the puck, he is actually much more physical than I had thought averaging 3.5 hits per game, he also doesn't turn the puck over much either. At 26 he is right in our wheel house. He is a UFA at the end of the year so if it doesn't work, you move one.

 

I would do something like Shinkaruk and a 3rd, but I have a tough time judging trade values.

 

Maybe Radko Gudas to replace Engellend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

GG has said time and time again he doesnt like lefty's playing the right side, and I dont see him deviating from this plan to play del zotto with brodie. I dont mind the player that much but I really dont see the need for the trade, especially with the expansion draft. BT was talking on fan 960, and he was talking about getting a player to lose them in the draft is not the best idea, so us grabbing del zotto or stone so we can lose them is not the best idea. I dont see us protecting 8 skaters, and I dont think del zotto fits. 

 

I personally think brodie has started to turn it around on the left side, and I really dont think he needs to move back to the right side, regardless of previous success there. 

 

Del Zotto is a pending UFA and thus wouldn't effect our plans for the expansion draft.

 

Del Zotto could play on the 3rd pairing 5v5 and give him special teams minutes. He is a significant upgrade over Jokipakka and Kulak. He also would be great injury insurance as he could easily step in and play 20+mins a night.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I guess this is partially how they are correcting their salary issue.

Next to be waived will be Read or Raffl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been reported that Duchene is on the market. Another 2 seasons at 6mil and the pricetag likely makes it a non-starter for us though.

It is a fair contract for what would be a high end RW though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

It has been reported that Duchene is on the market. Another 2 seasons at 6mil and the pricetag likely makes it a non-starter for us though.

It is a fair contract for what would be a high end RW though...

I have to wonder why they wouldn't build around Duchene and McKinnon. They should be able to get a good D using Landeskog. Doesn't sound like a good atmosphere in COL land.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always thought Duchene is a great player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved for a pretty big price.

I assume they really, really need G/D. Unfortunate for them, when your dead last, you stock up on picks. The 2017 draft does not look like a great one to stock up for...

As for Duchene, I believe Minny, Nashville, ARI, Toronto or the NYI are his best landings. Just a question of "how" in a cap world. Even the 'peg with their prospect pool.

Quality NHLers at C/RW are not easy to find these days, and he is that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I've always thought Duchene is a great player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved for a pretty big price.

I assume they really, really need G/D. Unfortunate for them, when your dead last, you stock up on picks. The 2017 draft does not look like a great one to stock up for...

As for Duchene, I believe Minny, Nashville, ARI, Toronto or the NYI are his best landings. Just a question of "how" in a cap world. Even the 'peg with their prospect pool.

Quality NHLers at C/RW are not easy to find these days, and he is that.

NYI may be willing to give up some good prospects for Duchene, like Barzal young C and Pollock D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they want to build around Duchene, but when you are as bad as Colorado you really can't close your door to anything. Based on the rumored ask for guys like Landeskog and Duchene it sure doesn't sound like they want to move them but if someone wants to overpay then they are all ears becuase they are in dire needs of assets.

 

Another issue at play is Duchene being a free agent in 2 years. While he grew up a Colorado fan maybe he is tired of losing and will test the market. I also think someone at play is Sakic has really screwed up managing this team until now and got basically nothing for O'Reilly. I think he is trying to make sure he doesn't get completely fooled again so sell him at a higher value. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cross16 said:

I think they want to build around Duchene, but when you are as bad as Colorado you really can't close your door to anything. Based on the rumored ask for guys like Landeskog and Duchene it sure doesn't sound like they want to move them but if someone wants to overpay then they are all ears becuase they are in dire needs of assets.

 

Another issue at play is Duchene being a free agent in 2 years. While he grew up a Colorado fan maybe he is tired of losing and will test the market. I also think someone at play is Sakic has really screwed up managing this team until now and got basically nothing for O'Reilly. I think he is trying to make sure he doesn't get completely fooled again so sell him at a higher value. 

If they could get Barzal and a defenseman from NYI this would be good for both sides. Landeskog for more D and something else would be good as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If they could get Barzal and a defenseman from NYI this would be good for both sides. Landeskog for more D and something else would be good as well.

 

I can't see Colorado going that direction. They already traded a legit top 6 center in O'Reilly for just prospects and I think it's realy hurt them. Tough to trade good young players under contract for prospects beucase you potentially wind up with nothing. Barzal is great sure but what if he doesn't pan out?

 

The rumored asked for Landeskog right now is a top 4 dman, a good prospect and a pick. Duchene's asking price is higher too. I don't think Colorado is going to trade them unless they get NHL ready talent in return that can step into important roles. Otherwise, why deal them at all? Colorado needs everything right now, not just D. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

 

I can't see Colorado going that direction. They already traded a legit top 6 center in O'Reilly for just prospects and I think it's realy hurt them. Tough to trade good young players under contract for prospects beucase you potentially wind up with nothing. Barzal is great sure but what if he doesn't pan out?

 

The rumored asked for Landeskog right now is a top 4 dman, a good prospect and a pick. Duchene's asking price is higher too. I don't think Colorado is going to trade them unless they get NHL ready talent in return that can step into important roles. Otherwise, why deal them at all? Colorado needs everything right now, not just D. 

If you are going full tilt rebuild why wouldn't you go for good young talent that also provide some salary recovery for a few years. They are asking that for Landeskog but they also haven't got a deal yet. They went halfway IMO with the O'Reilly situation and screwed it up, now they have to finish with selling off their two best players. To bad for Sakic.

I don't see it an different than when we trade Neuwendyk for Iginla, it's all a gamble. Can't be half pregnant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

 

I can't see Colorado going that direction. They already traded a legit top 6 center in O'Reilly for just prospects and I think it's realy hurt them. Tough to trade good young players under contract for prospects beucase you potentially wind up with nothing. Barzal is great sure but what if he doesn't pan out?

 

The rumored asked for Landeskog right now is a top 4 dman, a good prospect and a pick. Duchene's asking price is higher too. I don't think Colorado is going to trade them unless they get NHL ready talent in return that can step into important roles. Otherwise, why deal them at all? Colorado needs everything right now, not just D. 

If Sakic decides his present core isn't working out he might go full out Edmonton/TML/Arizona rebuild.

Keep McKinnon as he's 21 but hang a for sale sign on everyone else while keeping the cream of their own prospects. .

Talk of a top 4 D is likely spewing words to make it sound like a reload in a needed area but in the end he'll probably load up on picks/prospects & say it was the best offers. Very few teams can/will weaken their top 4 D.

This year's draft all the talk is Patrick but there are 7 C rated in the top 12 & 7 D in the top 30. Even a splatter gun approach should land @ least 1 good 1.

Loading up on picks for 2018 won't hurt either as Dahlin looked good as a 16 year old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we should be interested in a Bennett for Duchene trade straight up.  I think Duchene is as good as Bennett will ever be and so by trading for Duchene, we've essentially accelerated Bennett's development.  Meanwhile, Bennett gives the Avs a kid who's age aligns more with where they want to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder if we should be interested in a Bennett for Duchene trade straight up.  I think Duchene is as good as Bennett will ever be and so by trading for Duchene, we've essentially accelerated Bennett's development.  Meanwhile, Bennett gives the Avs a kid who's age aligns more with where they want to go.

 

Trade Bennett for 2 years of Duchene, no thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder if we should be interested in a Bennett for Duchene trade straight up.  I think Duchene is as good as Bennett will ever be and so by trading for Duchene, we've essentially accelerated Bennett's development.  Meanwhile, Bennett gives the Avs a kid who's age aligns more with where they want to go.

I doubt that does it. Duchene's bonafide for 25 goals and has 8 golds in a Canada jersey...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

 

Trade Bennett for 2 years of Duchene, no thanks.

 

How much do you think it's going to cost to extend him long term?  He will be 28 by the time he's UFA so extending him for 7 or 8 years is not out of the question because he will still be prime until mid-30s.  Duchene is a good enough skater that he should be able to be an effective player through term.

 

Bennett is a key piece to our rebuild but can Giordano wait until Bennett hits prime before we challenge for the Cup?  Gio may only have one or two good years left and if we can trade Bennett for Duchene, then we instantly have a 1A/1B Center situation with Duchene/Monahan.  We don't have to wait on Bennett to become that for us.  That and Backlund is having a career year so it would be a shame to waste it.

 

But i mean, it also depends on where you think the Flames are.  Do we think Johnson/Elliot is Cup caliber or do we have to wait on Gillies in 2 to 3 years?  Is our D even good enough to challenge for a Cup this season?  Still have many questions and one Duchene may not be able to answer them all and so in that aspect, it may be better to stay patient with Bennett and wait to see how the future unfolds.   

 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I doubt that does it. Duchene's bonafide for 25 goals and has 8 golds in a Canada jersey...

 

I think the age factor plays into it.  If the Avs go full rebuild again and don't plan to be competitive for at least 3 years, then Bennett's age fits into their rebuild plan a bit better than Duchene who will hit UFA in 2.5 seasons.

 

I don't know what it is but the Avs love ex-Flames.  Iginla, Tanguay, Bourque, Comeau, Colborne, etc... Not sure how much say Patrick Roy had in player movement in the past.  I don't blame everything on Sakic although the Avs have had trouble filling out the support players.  Their star players are as good as any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cross16 said:

 

I can't see Colorado going that direction. They already traded a legit top 6 center in O'Reilly for just prospects and I think it's realy hurt them. Tough to trade good young players under contract for prospects beucase you potentially wind up with nothing. Barzal is great sure but what if he doesn't pan out?

 

The rumored asked for Landeskog right now is a top 4 dman, a good prospect and a pick. Duchene's asking price is higher too. I don't think Colorado is going to trade them unless they get NHL ready talent in return that can step into important roles. Otherwise, why deal them at all? Colorado needs everything right now, not just D. 

Not tough to do around here. Posters here do this all the time without blinking. I see the "sell high while he is still worth something" all the time..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like cross indicated, how much are they inclined to trade him?

That's a huge player that is entering his prime.

Interest would be huge, that's a prize imho, if for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Not tough to do around here. Posters here do this all the time without blinking. I see the "sell high while he is still worth something" all the time..

DD, do I really have to point out how pretentious this is?

"DD is illuminati, confirmed". lol

Lighten up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Lighten up...

 

This goes for everybody:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

illuminati, confirmed". lol

Lighten up...

 

       d2cb0ae3d3ddb8f4f7ccf55ba7b70c7e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

If Sakic decides his present core isn't working out he might go full out Edmonton/TML/Arizona rebuild.

Keep McKinnon as he's 21 but hang a for sale sign on everyone else while keeping the cream of their own prospects. .

Talk of a top 4 D is likely spewing words to make it sound like a reload in a needed area but in the end he'll probably load up on picks/prospects & say it was the best offers. Very few teams can/will weaken their top 4 D.

This year's draft all the talk is Patrick but there are 7 C rated in the top 12 & 7 D in the top 30. Even a splatter gun approach should land @ least 1 good 1.

Loading up on picks for 2018 won't hurt either as Dahlin looked good as a 16 year old.

I think if COL wants quality back for Duchene and Landeskog they need to target the right teams. I see NYI as a team that wants to really win a SC and could use a player like Duchene. If I were Sakic ask for Hamonic and Barzal don't get greedy. Tampa could be a target for Landeskog, ask for Drouin, maybe a top prospect like Joseph and a 2nd rounder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think if COL wants quality back for Duchene and Landeskog they need to target the right teams. I see NYI as a team that wants to really win a SC and could use a player like Duchene. If I were Sakic ask for Hamonic and Barzal don't get greedy. Tampa could be a target for Landeskog, ask for Drouin, maybe a top prospect like Joseph and a 2nd rounder.

 

NYI is a basement team and Hamonic is on LTI.  Long term, COL gets a good defender, but this makes the Isles a weaker team.  

TBL likes Drouin, so I don't know that they do that deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

NYI is a basement team and Hamonic is on LTI.  Long term, COL gets a good defender, but this makes the Isles a weaker team.  

TBL likes Drouin, so I don't know that they do that deal.

NYI has some good defensemen in their pipe such as Pulock. If they want a Duchene they are going to give up something of quality. Tampa also wants to win sooner than later and have a huge need to get their financial house in order, they may want to pass a few potentially big pay days onto someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...