The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

I think the more realistic trade is Russell for Atkinson. Russell alone wouldn't net you Jenner. Jenner still has a high ceiling and I doubt Columbus gives up on him yet.

No way Columbus gives up on Bobrovsky after 5 games.

5 Games? Try a whole season plus 5 games. 

A change of scenery could do wonders, as it has for other players in the past.

Problem with Bobrovsky is deciding what he is. In Philly he certainly didn't look like a future star, then he had a good season and a half and now he is struggling, so is he the goalie who was a vezina caliber or he is just an above avg starter? I personally lean towards the latter and when you factor in the cost to acquire and his contact I would pass. I don't think he is worth what his contact and notoriety suggests.

This isn't so much of a trade suggestion as  a free signing, but I think the Flames should acquire Denbi

I don't think the flames are high on any of there three goalies
Incredible how goaltending works. A team can seemingly be deep at the position and then things turn around in a hurry like in Anahiem

This isn't so much of a trade suggestion as a free signing, but I think the Flames should acquire the rights to Denis Godla.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=106307

I believe he's as good or better than almost any 20 year old goatending prospect in the world, and a free agent.

He wouldn't hinder our goaltending glut as he can play overseas right now.   I think we have a future in Ortio and Gillies, but you can Never have enough great goalie prospects as they are so unpredictable.

Generally, I think if we're trading assets, we should acquire draft picks.    For the simple reason that if you have a good scouting and development program, you get the best return this way. The only exception to that is if we acquire another young prospect at defence.  We could use one more, right now, and we don't have the time to wait for them to develop (6-8 years).

Jiri Hudler is our key player...Don't think trading him is worthwhile.  We cannot lose our prized possessions.  Trading players means reestablishing and rebuilding which will take ions to get the Calgary Flames we want.  

Jiri Hudler is our key player...Don't think trading him is worthwhile.  We cannot lose our prized possessions.  Trading players means reestablishing and rebuilding which will take ions to get the Calgary Flames we want.  

Right now, yes he is a key player however if Hudler want another long contract at 6M then we may want someone younger with more deemed potential as our younger core matures.

Right now, yes he is a key player however if Hudler want another long contract at 6M then we may want someone younger with more deemed potential as our younger core matures.

Buy low sell high.  Chemistry is crucial.  But when the Flames win the cup, how crucial will Hulder be  in that mix?  Probably not what he is now.   I don't see the Flames trading Hudler now.  But at the trade deadline, that's another matter.  

We need size.  For those who don't want to trade Hudler, keep in mind that the next most viable option is trading Gaudreau.

Then, see why so many want to trade Hudler.  It's nothing against him.

That's the problem with trading for draft picks... There's no guarantee that they'll ever turn proton.

Love.

41Udd6x-kaL._SX335_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I believe that's the first time I've ever seen a typo from you Heartbreaker.  Like usual, you executed it perfecty.

I believe that's the first time I've ever seen a typo from you Heartbreaker. Like usual, you executed it perfecty.

That's not what I said at all, JJ. I said they wouldn't turn proton. JT won the electron.

Why do you always have to be so negative?

Love.

• Like 1

Buy low sell high.  Chemistry is crucial.  But when the Flames win the cup, how crucial will Hulder be  in that mix?  Probably not what he is now.   I don't see the Flames trading Hudler now.  But at the trade deadline, that's another matter.  

We need size.  For those who don't want to trade Hudler, keep in mind that the next most viable option is trading Gaudreau.

Then, see why so many want to trade Hudler.  It's nothing against him.

How about we trade Hudler for another Bollig.  We don't need size on the 1st line, we need skill.  Unless you are trading for Stamkos, which is both.

Hudler seems to have picked up right where he left off.  Six points in 7 games.  Maybe last season wasn't an outlier, and is what playing top line minutes does.  Unless he is asking for a long-term, huge raise contract, he could still be a good to great player in 3 years time.  Zetterberg is 36 and just starting to slow a bit.  Hudler doesn't play the body as much as other players, so he could have a long career.

If he is looking for similar money, see if he will sign one-year deals.  Or see if he is fine for $5m for 3 years.  Trading him doesn't guarantee he gets a big payday at FA time.  And what is he going to net you in return?  Draft picks?  We need top prospects, not more picks right now.

It appears that there is interest in Kerry Rychel from the Blue Jackets. The suggestive asking price is quite high it, a top d prospect. Give them Wotherspoon in exchange. Both seem to out of favor with each other club, fresh start could be good.

It appears that there is interest in Kerry Rychel from the Blue Jackets. The suggestive asking price is quite high it, a top d prospect. Give them Wotherspoon in exchange. Both seem to out of favor with each other club, fresh start could be good.

While trading Spoon for Kirby Rychel would be a good deal for us, I don't know that they would think it fair.  He's not untradeable, but I think he is worth more.  I read somewhere that we had made an offer for him, but it was rejected.  Don't know what it was.

While trading Spoon for Kirby Rychel would be a good deal for us, I don't know that they would think it fair.  He's not untradeable, but I think he is worth more.  I read somewhere that we had made an offer for him, but it was rejected.  Don't know what it was.

Agree with this. Rychel, I believe, has a higher ceiling, and while both are/were highly-touted prospects struggling in their current organizations I think it would take more to acquire him.

Agree with this. Rychel, I believe, has a higher ceiling, and while both are/were highly-touted prospects struggling in their current organizations I think it would take more to acquire him.

Not sure we offered anything as of yet. Columbus is in need of Dman. The asking price is a projected top 4 d prospect, not sure we could afford that. Obviously, this would be a good building move but it would not provide us an immediate improvement on the big club.

Who makes us immediately better in a trade without selling the farm? IMHO it makes zero sense to trade for Stamkos, paying someone 10 Mill per season, no thanks. If we want a club to compete for years, largest contract can't exceed $7 million for any player.

What about trading Russell and Granlund for Rychel and a 2nd rounder ? If Rychel projects to be a much better player than Granlund I think the Flames should do this move. Just asking because I don't know anything about Rychel. The mounting feeling I have is that Granlund id not going to amount to that 2nd line LW we need sooner rather than later.

Is Rychel worth Wideman straight up?

Or do we still need Wideman? Maybe they give us a 2nd or 3rd rounder too?

Giordano, Brodie

Russell, Hamilton

Smid, Engelland

Nakladal or Kulak

What about trading Russell and Granlund for Rychel and a 2nd rounder ? If Rychel projects to be a much better player than Granlund I think the Flames should do this move. Just asking because I don't know anything about Rychel. The mounting feeling I have is that Granlund id not going to amount to that 2nd line LW we need sooner rather than later.

TBH, I don't know his true value.  He's list in the BJ's top 5 prospects at #3 behind Milano and Bjorkstrand, bith considered untouchable. I  don't know if Rychel is worth it or not.  I would consider him to be in the same level as Granlund, with Granlund getting the edge due to playing part of the year in the NHL and getting reasonable numbers.

Worth more than Spoon? Yes.  Worth Russell alone?  Maybe, considering the UFA status.  

TBH, I don't know his true value.  He's list in the BJ's top 5 prospects at #3 behind Milano and Bjorkstrand, bith considered untouchable. I  don't know if Rychel is worth it or not.  I would consider him to be in the same level as Granlund, with Granlund getting the edge due to playing part of the year in the NHL and getting reasonable numbers.

Worth more than Spoon? Yes.  Worth Russell alone?  Maybe, considering the UFA status.  

They may like Russell, at first glance they have a lot of Dmen in that mid 25 age range and Russell would provide some good leadership there.

I figure the Jackets might be asking for TJ Brodie and we're saying no. As well we should. Rychel's a L shot L wing. Do we really need more of those?

I just don't want to be taken advantage of to shake up the roster. I'm hearing some rumors that a lot of teams are talking to us and the Blues as well as some teams looking to smuggle bad contracts into those talks.

I figure the Jackets might be asking for TJ Brodie and we're saying no. As well we should. Rychel's a L shot L wing. Do we really need more of those?

I just don't want to be taken advantage of to shake up the roster. I'm hearing some rumors that a lot of teams are talking to us and the Blues as well as some teams looking to smuggle bad contracts into those talks.

We have no room for bad contracts.  Any team want a gently used defenseman?  We have a few.  How about a gritty 4th liner or a inconsistent 20 goal scorer.  A shutdown center being used on a 4th line?  Prospects struggling to make the NHL?

If the ask was Russell for Rychel, I would be on board with that.  We can't afford Russell next year.  A prospect for Rychel?  As long as it's not a 1st rounder.  I still think Poirier will figure it out, same with Granlund. 

Calgary:

Loui Eriksson

4th Round Pick

Boston:

Kris Russell

Joe Colborne

Eriksson would be a great fit on the 2nd line.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler

Eriksson/Backlund/Frolik

Ferland/Bennett/Jooris

Bollig/Stajan/Jones

Calgary:

Loui Eriksson

4th Round Pick

Boston:

Kris Russell

Joe Colborne

Eriksson would be a great fit on the 2nd line.

Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler

Eriksson/Backlund/Frolik

Ferland/Bennett/Jooris

Bollig/Stajan/Jones

Ok, I'll bite.  But wasn't Joe part of the Bruins to begin with?

I lobbied for Eriksson before, but I think his value to the Bruins is higher this year.  He is 3rd in points so far, with 2 PP goals.  I know, it's not saying a lot.  I haven't given up on Colborne yet, but you do what you have to do.

What I don't like about this is we are giving away a cheap C/LW/RW for an expensive UFA.  We won't be able to keep him at that price.

Ok, I'll bite. But wasn't Joe part of the Bruins to begin with?

I lobbied for Eriksson before, but I think his value to the Bruins is higher this year. He is 3rd in points so far, with 2 PP goals. I know, it's not saying a lot. I haven't given up on Colborne yet, but you do what you have to do.

What I don't like about this is we are giving away a cheap C/LW/RW for an expensive UFA. We won't be able to keep him at that price.

He was drafted by Boston yes.

Boston needs help on defense and Russell provides that, with Brodie getting close to returning Russell has less of a role here.

Eriksson helps with secondary scoring which is an area I could see us having an issue with. Boston has been rumored to be looking to move Eriksson.

Russell straight up doesn't net you Eriksson. Colborne loses his role somewhat by bringing Eriksson thus making him very moveable.

The Bruins won't be interested in our more expensive guys like Stajan, Raymond or Engelland.

If it doesn't work out and we are on the outside of the playoff picture, you turn around and move Eriksson pretty easily at the deadline.

I like your idea about acquiring a second line left wing JTech, but what about Carolina? They also need defencemen in their mid 20s, and they have a couple wingers that could be moved. What about trading for someone like Versteeg, or even Skinner? A trade could look something like:

To Carolina:

Joe Colborne

Kris Russell

To Calgary:

Kris Versteeg

4th round pick

OR

To Carolina:

2nd round pick

Dennis Wideman

Joe Colborne

Mikael Granlund

To Calgary:

Jeff Skinner

4th round pick

This would give Carolina some vetern leadership on the back end for their young defensemen, as well as some younger forwards that could be useful in the future. For Calgary, it gives them some much needed secondary scoring.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

Versteeg/Skinner - Bennett - Frolik

Bouma - Backlund - Jones

Ferland - Stajan - Jooris

Giordano - Brodie

Hamilton - Russell/Wideman

Kulak - Engelland/Smid

Ortio

Hiller