The Official Site of the Calgary Flames
Jessemadnote39

Realistic Trade suggestions for improvement

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93039

Did you mean 47-assists?  As in, more assists alone than Jagr had total points while Kessel played most of the season on the third line with Bonino and Jagr had top line minutes?

Everytime I watched kessel play with the penguins including the playoffs he was playing with malkin again, I think the bonino line was trashed this season. Kessell also got first pp time, im not so sure jagr did but I could be wrong.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

No doubt in my mind Kessell would be very scrutinized especially with the way he plays...

....sure the on ice fits but unfortunately you can't do that. 

The way he plays is exactly why he's been so productive.  He is the reigning iron man in the NHL and takes care of himself off the ice.  The dude steps it up in the playoffs when it all matters.

To hate on Kessel is like to think Justin Schultz is one dimensional, poor defensively, turnover machine, and hurts his team when he isn't scoring.  Man, you haven't watched the new Justin Schultz.  He anchored the whole Pens blueline on the way to the Cup.  

Kessel put up back to back 20-point playoffs and nearly won the Conn Smyth during his first Cup.

17 hours ago, Carty said:

Jagr is everywhere...

Image result for jagr animated gif

Jag's is indeed everywhere.  I'm sure in his mind he is 20 something but father time catches everyone.  Jag's needs rest now.

01466326123d427f8e5d112e4e0c5492.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Jag's is indeed everywhere.

Funny coincidence...   Jagr actually fits the definition for meister...

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎12 at 11:36 PM, The_People1 said:

The way he plays is exactly why he's been so productive.  He is the reigning iron man in the NHL and takes care of himself off the ice.  The dude steps it up in the playoffs when it all matters.

To hate on Kessel is like to think Justin Schultz is one dimensional, poor defensively, turnover machine, and hurts his team when he isn't scoring.  Man, you haven't watched the new Justin Schultz.  He anchored the whole Pens blueline on the way to the Cup.  

Kessel put up back to back 20-point playoffs and nearly won the Conn Smyth during his first Cup.

JR says he is not being traded, they need him. I think if PIT were to trade anyone it would be Malkin, DET would make sense for him.

With the Leafs cap issues I wonder if there is an opportunity to poach a forward from them.

They still have to sign Connor Brown and they are pretty tight against the cap, and will have to use the offseason LTIR. I wouldn't mind getting Brown who is a RHS RW who is stuck behind Marner and Nylander.

The other guy I wouldn't mind trying to get from them is Bozak. A RHS C who wins draws and puts up decent production. I think having RHS C who can draws would be a huge benefit for this team especially going up against the likes of the Ducks.

Not sure what we would have to send the other way but a Backlund and a puck for Bozak and Brown would be something I would look at. Brown and Bozak fill a lot of holes for this team.

The problem is that Toronto would be looking for defense in return and I don't think we are trading from our defensive depth.

I would like Brown but I too struggle to find a deal. Leafs can re sign him fairly easily so i don't think they would give him away and while I like the player i'm not sure there is massive upside here so I struggle to pay that much for him. Can't relaly deal picks because the Flames don't have enough so I think you are trading a prospect and while I would probably do something like a Kulak for Brown swap i'm not sure what the Leafs would. 

I don't mind Bozak but I would not trade Backlund for him at this point as I think Backlund is a much superior center so I would want more than Bozak and Brown for Backlund. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I would like Brown but I too struggle to find a deal. Leafs can re sign him fairly easily so i don't think they would give him away and while I like the player i'm not sure there is massive upside here so I struggle to pay that much for him. Can't relaly deal picks because the Flames don't have enough so I think you are trading a prospect and while I would probably do something like a Kulak for Brown swap i'm not sure what the Leafs would. 

I don't mind Bozak but I would not trade Backlund for him at this point as I think Backlund is a much superior center so I would want more than Bozak and Brown for Backlund. 

I would want much more than Brown's RFA rights & 1 year of Bozak @ 4.2.

I see Brown as basically a depth player & we have depth @ RW (just no top liners) & Bozak is good for special teams & faceoffs but is supposedly wanting a raise (IMO 4.2 is plenty for a 3C used in certain circumstances). I'd rather put the salary we'd be paying the 2 into re-signing Backlund rather than swapping him for a lesser C & a depth winger we don't need.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I would want much more than Brown's RFA rights & 1 year of Bozak @ 4.2.

I see Brown as basically a depth player & we have depth @ RW (just no top liners) & Bozak is good for special teams & faceoffs but is supposedly wanting a raise (IMO 4.2 is plenty for a 3C used in certain circumstances). I'd rather put the salary we'd be paying the 2 into re-signing Backlund rather than swapping him for a lesser C & a depth winger we don't need.

Ask for Nylander

The leafs are still hungry for RHS RD... Liljegren is years away from ready.  I'm wondering if Rasmus Andersson is a player they would be willing to trade Connor Brown for.  We could use a guy like Brown.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

The leafs are still hungry for RHS RD... Liljegren is years away from ready.  I'm wondering if Rasmus Andersson is a player they would be willing to trade Connor Brown for.  We could use a guy like Brown.

I believe that we'll need Rasmus Andersson in a few years much more than we'll ever need a Connor Brown.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

If Conor Brown had top line upside i'd do this deal in a heatbeat but i'm not even sure Brown has legit top 6 upside so I would pass. I think Andersson has more value to the Flames than Brown would. 

15 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I believe that we'll need Rasmus Andersson in a few years much more than we'll ever need a Connor Brown.

We have Adam Fox coming up in a few years when our current RHS RD contacts expire.  We can afford to trade Andersson.

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If Conor Brown had top line upside i'd do this deal in a heatbeat but i'm not even sure Brown has legit top 6 upside so I would pass. I think Andersson has more value to the Flames than Brown would. 

A 20-goal rookie is not legit top 6? 

He's also a respectable point producer in Juniors and the AHL so there's a track record there.  He's got good speed and that willingness to go to the hard areas to score goals.  He's not big but packs decent energy.

Sure, not star material but wouldn't look out of place on our top line, in my opinion.  He's scored 20.  That's more than Ferland and more proven than Foo and Lazar (it's crazy talk that Lazar has proven nothing in the NHL and some believe he will walk into this season on the top line and give us 40-points).

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We have Adam Fox coming up in a few years when our current RHS RD contacts expire.  We can afford to trade Andersson.

He's also a respectable point producer in Juniors and the AHL so there's a track record there.  He's got good speed and that willingness to go to the hard areas to score goals.  He's not big but packs decent energy.

Sure, not star material but wouldn't look out of place on our top line, in my opinion.  He's scored 20.  That's more than Ferland and more proven than Foo and Lazar (it's crazy talk that Lazar has proven nothing in the NHL and some believe he will walk into this season on the top line and give us 40-points).

And to be clear I like Brown just not at the value of Anderson. Brown had a great season on a very good offensive team and I'm always leery of the automatic believe that players always get better, sometimes they don't. 

i think it's likely Brown is a top 6 forward it's just not guaranteed and because I see Anderson as a future top 4 option I'm not willing to make that deal. Yes I get Anderson isn't guaranteed either but RH dman have more value imo. Fox is hardly a sure thing so I don't like the idea of trading Anderson because fox is there but I also don't expect Brown to get dealt so probably not an issue anyway. 

39 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not convinced he would score 20 goals here. I definitely wouldn't be trading Anderson for him. Personally, I hope we stand pat with what the team looks like now and see where the chips fall once training camp is underway.

2 hours ago, Krule said:

I'm not convinced he would score 20 goals here. I definitely wouldn't be trading Anderson for him. Personally, I hope we stand pat with what the team looks like now and see where the chips fall once training camp is underway.

Thats probably the best recipe for success at this point unless we can make a move to free up some cap space, it would be nice to have space to make deals in season.

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

Seriously why would we not suggest a Nylander for Andersson deal to the Leafs. Given that our RHSD side is more or less spoken for over the next 2 to 3 years. I truly think Nylander is that piece we need for our top line.

Try Backlund and Andersson for Bozak and Nylander.

26 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Seriously why would we not suggest a Nylander for Andersson deal to the Leafs. Given that our RHSD side is more or less spoken for over the next 2 to 3 years. I truly think Nylander is that piece we need for our top line.

I still view that as a bad trade, we are giving up a better center, and  top 4 right shot D men are super valuable. I think we lose that trade, even if backlund is a UFA next year.

3 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I still view that as a bad trade, we are giving up a better center, and  top 4 right shot D men are super valuable. I think we lose that trade, even if backlund is a UFA next year.

I think you are wrong, I would say Bozak is equal to Backlund and TOR may want to use this year's savings for their cap position now. Both Backlund and Bozak are on expiring contracts. Andersson is now blocked for potentially 3 years here and could be on the verge of contributing at the NHL level. He is also the type oftalent you need in such a deal to get a top line talent such as Nylander RW ( our huge need ). I wouldn't hesitate to do this deal.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think you are wrong, I would say Bozak is equal to Backlund and TOR may want to use this year's savings for their cap position now. Both Backlund and Bozak are on expiring contracts. Andersson is now blocked for potentially 3 years here and could be on the verge of contributing at the NHL level. He is also the type oftalent you need in such a deal to get a top line talent such as Nylander RW ( our huge need ). I wouldn't hesitate to do this deal.

While I agree with most of what you said here, Id be worried about what we are going to do in 3 years when we are almost guaranteed to lose hamonic or hamilton, and I dont want to place our whole organizations hope on fox being a top 4 right shot D man. I think the most likely course we see, is backlund signs this coming year, and we trade him at some point for a top RW, once janko/bennett are ready.

orrr if andersson is ready sooner we can easily trade hamonic(would be my choice over hamilton) for a RW we so covet.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

While I agree with most of what you said here, Id be worried about what we are going to do in 3 years when we are almost guaranteed to lose hamonic or hamilton, and I dont want to place our whole organizations hope on fox being a top 4 right shot D man. I think the most likely course we see, is backlund signs this coming year, and we trade him at some point for a top RW, once janko/bennett are ready.

orrr if andersson is ready sooner we can easily trade hamonic(would be my choice over hamilton) for a RW we so covet.

Trades don't always present themselves at the ideal times. TOR has a situation with their cap they have to deal with now. Backlund for Bozak helps that situation.

Andersson for Nylander is a quality deal for both sides needs now. Let's worry about 3years from now later, lots can and will happen in 3 years time.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

Trades don't always present themselves at the ideal times. TOR has a situation with their cap they have to deal with now. Backlund for Bozak helps that situation.

Andersson for Nylander is a quality deal for both sides needs now. Let's worry about 3years from now later, lots can and will happen in 3 years time.

I get what youre saying, but why is Tor moving their NHL ready RW for a top 4 d prospect? Andersson is not NHL ready, so the rest of my opinion on the deal aside they are trading backlund for bozak(which is a wash according to you) and nylander for a guy who is not NHL ready, so this makes toronto worse.I guess they could have other guys step into nylanders spot, but I dont think any of them are good enough to fill that role. It just doesnt seem like a good trade for either team.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Because the Leafs would never do that. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Because the Leafs would never do that. 

Elaborate, I don't necessarily disagree if it does nothing to help their cap situation.

Cross I would be interested in what you think it would take to get a talented RW such as Nylander at this stage of their career ?

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I get what youre saying, but why is Tor moving their NHL ready RW for a top 4 d prospect? Andersson is not NHL ready, so the rest of my opinion on the deal aside they are trading backlund for bozak(which is a wash according to you) and nylander for a guy who is not NHL ready, so this makes toronto worse.I guess they could have other guys step into nylanders spot, but I dont think any of them are good enough to fill that role. It just doesnt seem like a good trade for either team.

I think they only consider it if it helps their cap situation. I will say this that they are much like we are a growing young team and if they are desperate for RHSD Andersson is not far off, maybe 1/2 a season.